Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

@pechspilz said:
    You know what, I had the exact same problem with one of their Atom servers in 2013. They eventually "solved" it the same way they did with you - after hours of network debugging on my part. I wonder why they still assign these servers to their customers when they know for at least three years that those NICs are crap.

Yeah I kinda figured they'd just recirculate the board rather than toss/RMA/etc it which is why I posted that, you can only expect so much of a budget host I suppose. The symptoms didn't really show themselves until you put some active load on the NIC so someone just using it for a small personal site or something likely wouldn't notice is what I assume they are thinking. Whether that is wrong or what I suppose is up to the individual, but it took me a day or so of ticketing back and forth with them to get them to actually look at the NIC.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • pechspilz said: You know what, I had the exact same problem with one of their Atom servers in 2013. They eventually "solved" it the same way they did with you - after hours of network debugging on my part. I wonder why they still assign these servers to their customers when they know for at least three years that those NICs are crap.

Do you think the NIC was just "recycled" to another server or that his HDD was switched? Wouldn't it take more support time in the long run?

They're $10 servers, but still...

• @Traffic said:
    They're $10 servers, but still...

I presume the Atoms are dell optiplex FX160s or similar. A new mobo is quite cheap around $16-25. The Nics are soldered on but a good "fix" would be to buy a PCI Ethernet

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

The reason they still use those boards is that they dont care.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • $10/m Atom is available at this moment https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

• @bersy said:
    $10/m Atom is available at this moment https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

Mine

• Still Core2Duos available.

• @Traffic said:
    Still Core2Duos available.

Hmm dont have HT and have half as much disk BUT double RAM

• What mobos are you guys getting for your atoms? I have an Intel D945GCLF2 now.

You can check your model withlshw -C bus -short the first one should be your mobo model under description:

H/W path Device Class Description /0 bus D945GCLF2 /0/100/1d bus NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 /0/100/1d.1 bus NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 /0/100/1d.2 bus NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 /0/100/1d.3 bus NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 /0/100/1d.7 bus NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller /0/100/1f.3 bus NM10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2016

Well, no idea if this also can be caused by a faulty Network card:

Had Packetloss as fuck, and a Load of 150, the box died like 5 days ago completely on network.
    Running this config on other boxes without issues.

• Available again

• theqkash said: Available again

Can't reach the site.... It got geLowendtalkzz.

• Grabbed one late Sat night, nothing really special delivered, just +50 GB on the drive. Good for testing only and at $10 cant really beat that.

• Core2duo currently in stock...

• tehdan said: Core2duo currently in stock...

Out of stock again.

• Everyone happy with their servers?

• They're fine for the price. The only thing I have noticed is that networking 'stops working' randomly and is only 'solved' by rebooting the boxes.

@JoeMerit said:
    Everyone happy with their servers?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@k0nsl said:
    They're fine for the price. The only thing I have noticed is that networking 'stops working' randomly and is only 'solved' by rebooting the boxes.

Oops I dropped ARP again~

Francisco

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Francisco said:
    Francisco

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2016

Network is disappointing but no surprise

• Why do people keep posting that the servers are out of stock and in stock?

• Not displeased. My Core2duo does not have vt-x has anyone got one that does?

• Those servers are fine, for the price. I host a dozen of non-critical websites there for the last 3 months in a core2quad. It is running proxmox. The uptime is from my last reboot

top - 17:11:26 up 42 days, 17:30, 1 user, load average: 0.23, 0.16, 0.13
    Tasks: 336 total, 2 running, 334 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 1.2 us, 1.9 sy, 0.0 ni, 96.8 id, 0.0 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.1 si, 0.0 st
    KiB Mem: 3326100 total, 3064900 used, 261200 free, 210688 buffers
    KiB Swap: 4895740 total, 1494252 used, 3401488 free, 734408 cached

Thanked by 1_Nic
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

@k0nsl said:
    They're fine for the price. The only thing I have noticed is that networking 'stops working' randomly and is only 'solved' by rebooting the boxes.

You may want to read my posts here and here if you have realtek boards, I've been stable ever since I got them to swap me to a different board that has an Intel NIC.

• Thanks! However, I've got BCM5722 in all of 'em. So that's not it :/

@Setsura said:
    You may want to read my posts here and here if you have realtek boards, I've been stable ever since I got them to swap me to a different board that has an Intel NIC.

• @k0nsl said:
    Thanks! However, I've got BCM5722 in all of 'em. So that's not it :/

Hm, weird then, so far I've not noticed any issues as far as network goes after a board swap. Maybe my monitoring isn't as thorough as it could be though.

• @doughmanes said:
    Network is disappointing but no surprise

hmmm, well, i'll be damned. it says 100mbit unmetered on their website, but i guess it's actually burstable 1gbit?

• zevus said: it says 100mbit unmetered on their website, but i guess it's actually burstable 1gbit?

It could be the lazy way of saying you have a 33TB limit in a way for folks to get an overage charge. However their sales department could better clarify this.

• edanedan Member
    edited February 2016

In stock https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/dedicated/

Edit: got this CPU Core(TM)2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz

• ya they have had stock constantly for the last few days.. maybe a lot of cancellations :)