Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• @jarland said:
    So I ordered the $10 Atom with 2GB RAM and 500GB HD. Here's what I got:

• Intel Core2 6700 (2.66GHz)
    • 4GB RAM
    • 750GB Seagate Barracuda (ST3750525AS)

Of course, as is standard for them, on 1Gbps port and not 100mbit.

HD SMART status: http://sprunge.us/RVeT

I still say best deal inside the US for budget dedi. Of course, wouldn't store anything I needed and didn't have elsewhere on the disk obviously. Wouldn't do that with a single drive configuration anywhere.

Ordered $10 Atom as well

Got

Intel Atom 330
    2GB RAM
    640GB Western Digital Blue 2.9 Years old (http://www.cnet.com/products/wd-blue-wd6400aaks-hard-drive-640-gb-sata-300-series/specs/)

Smart test: https://ghostbin.com/paste/zcp7v

Good backup box and it is 1Gbit like @Jarland said.

@jarland can you post a screeny of your billing panel?

I got NO DISKS o.O

Thanked by 1Wolf
  • jarland said: So I ordered the $10 Atom with 2GB RAM and 500GB HD. Here's what I got:

Intel Core2 6700 (2.66GHz)

4GB RAM
    750GB Seagate Barracuda (ST3750525AS)
    Of course, as is standard for them, on 1Gbps port and not 100mbit.

HD SMART status: http://sprunge.us/RVeT

I still say best deal inside the US for budget dedi. Of course, wouldn't store anything I needed and didn't have elsewhere on the disk obviously. Wouldn't do that with a single drive configuration anywhere.

Looks like the HDD is already having a ton of errors and is pretty much dead.....

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Corey said: Looks like the HDD is already having a ton of errors and is pretty much dead.....

This is just a normal Seagate SMART. Not to attack Seagate at all, just that even brand new and perfectly working drives from them will always have high numbers in these scary sounding parameter rows. Other manufacturers prefer to not expose the same counters, or always display 0 there. Perhaps this is just the 1st or 2nd one you see in your life?

• Corey said: Looks like the HDD is already having a ton of errors and is pretty much dead.....

Nope. This hard disk is fine. "Raw Read Error Rate" and "Seek Error Rate" values are vendor specific raw values and meaningless without knowing the data structure. The important attributes that actually correlate with HDD health all show that the HDD is healthy.

• I want some more haha

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2015

Got a 10$ Core2Duo, 1.9k CPU Bench not bad.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4716635

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND they are back. Got another Atom

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND they are back. Got another Atom

Got aq Core2Duo... I hope the HDD is big enough for me

• woulda gotten one of the $20 dacentec machines instead, but they're all gone now.

100mbit, yuck

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @netomx said:
    Got aq Core2Duo... I hope the HDD is big enough for me

Damn :( got a 500GB deskstar :(

Thanked by 1netomx

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Damn :( got a 500GB deskstar :(

Got a 500Gb too, I haven't check the brand :P

• smartctl -a /dev/sda

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family:     Hitachi/HGST Travelstar 7K750
    Device Model:     Hitachi HTS727550A9E364
    Serial Number:    xxxx
    LU WWN Device Id: xxxx
    Firmware Version: JF3OA0D0
    User Capacity:    500,106,780,160 bytes [500 GB]
    Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
    Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
    Form Factor:      2.5 inches
    Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 6
    SATA Version is:  SATA 2.6, 3.0 Gb/s

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4725106

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND they are back. Got another Atom

Reminds me of the Kimsufi lottery. Keep buying till you get one you like ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • All gone.

• @telephone said:
    Reminds me of the Kimsufi lottery. Keep buying till you get one you like ;)

Nah haha. Needing a ton of storage and boxes. Proxmox HA as well on these things aint bad either

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited December 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom just build this for you. You will never have to consider about storage any more

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/cloud-storage-hardware/

• inb4 markturner swoops in with technical details about blackbaze vs delimiter storage and the whole thread becomes a long ass delimiter sales support ticket.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited December 2015

@GM2015 said:
    inb4 markturner swoops in with technical details about blackbaze vs delimiter storage and the whole thread becomes a long ass delimiter sales support ticket.

yeah that can be a big derailment but i'm just saying to tim b'cos he runs a host so he can build and host it himself

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Nah haha. Needing a ton of storage and boxes. Proxmox HA as well on these things aint bad either

• GM2015 said: inb4 markturner swoops in with technical details about blackbaze vs delimiter storage and the whole thread becomes a long ass delimiter sales support ticket.

I'll resist the temptation :)

Thanked by 2netomx drazilox
  • do they ignore DMCA?

• edited December 2015

@creep said:
    do they ignore DMCA?

no
    @cociu says he does...

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

So do any of you guys have an issue with the atom model server that the connection seems to die if you do anything more than just ssh in? Like I start up simple rsyncs and the WSI atom will die, IP won't ping, nothing. I have to restart the server from their panel to fix this. I know I should make a ticket, but you know, I have a feeling I'd just get boilerplate responses about something "basic" like this being a misconfiguration. Or even better, they'd just restart the server like me and say "fixed".

I checked most of things I could think of and I see nothing obviously wrong in logs or settings, plus the fact the server is complete fine as long as I do nothing network "intensive", while if do the network will go down within the hour. I've never had anything at WSI so I'm rather unsure if maybe they have some extremely restrictive automated nullrouting. I wonder if they loan KVMs for these atom machines, at least that would let me look around while the issue is happening.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Setsura my connection died also once.... Support Rebooted and everything was okay, if this happens again eh.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

@Infinity580 said:
    Setsura my connection died also once.... Support Rebooted and everything was okay, if this happens again eh.

Yeah it is a continual issue for me, I've had to reboot it several times from the panel to check the issue.

If no one knows anything about this I may ask them if they do KVM loans for these, I'd rather look around myself first than ticket about it.

• Not had this on either Atoms. Only once logged me out (presume surface died)

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

Just a small update if anyone else cares, or maybe experiences this in the future if they buy one. The issue was the onboard realtek NIC of the atom board. They replaced mine with a different board that has an Intel NIC and I've been stable since. So if anyone buys one of these atoms and gets one with a realtek NIC and has network disconnect issues, that board may still be in use.

• @Setsura said:
    Just a small update if anyone else cares, or maybe experiences this in the future if they buy one. The issue was the onboard realtek NIC of the atom board. They replaced mine with a different board that has an Intel NIC and I've been stable since. So if anyone buys one of these atoms and gets one with a realtek NIC and has network disconnect issues, that board may still be in use.

Realtek on both my boxes and are fine

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited January 2016

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Realtek on both my boxes and are fine

Nothing wrong with realtek themselves(well maybe a few things, but that is for another time), I'm just saying that the one on my board was clearly not functioning properly as per my issue.

• pechspilzpechspilz Member
    edited January 2016

@Setsura said:
    Just a small update if anyone else cares, or maybe experiences this in the future if they buy one. The issue was the onboard realtek NIC of the atom board. They replaced mine with a different board that has an Intel NIC and I've been stable since.

You know what, I had the exact same problem with one of their Atom servers in 2013. They eventually "solved" it the same way they did with you - after hours of network debugging on my part. I wonder why they still assign these servers to their customers when they know for at least three years that those NICs are crap.