Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free European Xen VPS - Back in Stock!

Comments

• @randvegeta I'm interested in your custom billing system. Is it based on something open source or you just made it from scratch?

• Have to say it has been one of the easiest sign ups I have had considering I needed to sign up for a new payment gateway. Kind of a bummer there is no Slackware but a lot of other choices. Seems like this might be a good experience.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Slackware

:ooo

Thanked by 1rm_
  • sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2015

I tried twice to install my VPS but the root/psw combination I chose at install doesn't work. Seems like the password set is not the one I chose on provisioning.
    Anyone having the same problem?

Thanked by 2angstrom MuZo
  • @sandro said:
    I tried twice to install my VPS but the root/psw combination I chose at install doesn't work. Seems like the password set is not the one I chose on provisioning.

Yea I've had that problem before, and I just use CentOS now, it seems to be fine.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2015

TheOnlyDK said: Yea I've had that problem before, and I just use CentOS now, it seems to be fine.

So it's a template problem? I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Debian, same problem.

• @sandro said:
    So it's a template problem? I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Debian, same problem.

Never tried Ubuntu, but debian 7 won't install and debian 8 had login issues. I don't really know what the problem is, but as long as CentOS is working fine I'm happy. It's a free service after all.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • TheOnlyDK said: Never tried Ubuntu, but debian 7 won't install and debian 8 had login issues. I don't really know what the problem is, but as long as CentOS is working fine I'm happy. It's a free service after all.

Yup, CentOS works. Never used it but whatever it's free as you said :)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

sandro said: Are your systems on HDD or SSD?

HDD. Wouldn't put SSDs on a free node. Abuser would kill it quickly and its just too costly.

Vita said: @randvegeta I'm interested in your custom billing system. Is it based on something open source or you just made it from scratch?

It's not really a custom system. It's Blesta with some customizations.

sandro said: root/psw combination I chose at install doesn't work

If you are installing Debian or Ubuntu, you need to provide a username and password, and you CANNOT log in directly as root as standard. This is standard for Debian/Ubuntu for dedicated servers too. Not our policy.

sandro said: So it's a template problem? I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Debian, same problem.

No, it's not a template. The OS is installed via PXE. It's not a template 'per se'. You can boot any physical machine over PXE and install the OS in the exact same way. It will have the same 'problem'. Just create a user account.

TheOnlyDK said: debian 7 won't install and debian 8 had login issues.

Don't know what the issue is with Debian 7. It was sucesfull for 1G RAM VPS, so maybe the 512MB included RAM isn't enough for the basic install? Not sure. But Debian works fine. With regards to login issues, see above.

• stenysteny Member
    edited September 2015

• @randvegeta said:

Debian usually use less resource than centos, not sure what the problem is.

Thanked by 1bersy

steny said: tried to install Debian 8

Try 64bit instead of 32. 32 seems to stall.

TheOnlyDK said: Debian usually use less resource than centos, not sure what the problem is.

Well even CentOS 6 doesnt actually use more than 512MB RAM, it just doesn't install unless it has at least 1G. Not sure if this is the case with Debian 7. Strange that Debian 8 would work and Debian 7 not.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited September 2015

Still no reset password email :(

0xdragon said: Still no reset password email :(

Not sure why you don't get it. I havent had any problems with my test. Maybe you're mail server is blocking us?

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited September 2015

Very good, I got one. I'll try to keep it active as long as I can. :)

@randvegeta

Can you send notice two day prior termination to collect carrot? Sometime I loss my memory.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited September 2015

@Fritz said:
    Can you send notice two day prior termination to collect carrot? Sometime I loss my memory.

He shouldn't be doing anything for you since this is a free vps.

EDIT: There are ways to remind yourself, think creatively.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @randvegeta said:
    Not sure why you don't get it. I havent had any problems with my test. Maybe you're mail server is blocking us?

I use MXRoute by @Jar.

• FritzFritz Veteran
    edited September 2015

Why he shouldn't do that?

Even Free Gmail will send you alert for free when something happen to your account.

Think open minded.

TheOnlyDK said: He shouldn't be doing anything for you since this is a free vps.

>

EDIT: There are ways to remind yourself, think creatively.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@0xdragon said:
    I use MXRoute by Jar.

root@mx1:~# grep "vpsbit" /var/log/exim4/mainlog
    root@mx1:~#

root@ghost [~]# grep "vpsbit" /var/log/exim_mainlog
    root@ghost [~]#

@randvegeta said:

Do you send direct through your own server or something like mandrill? If your own, what is the sending domain in the From header?

• @Fritz said:
    Why he shouldn't do that?

Sure, if they send you reminders every month, then where's your effort? You are getting a free server and you expect someone else to remind you to get it renewed? You need to rethink about getting the server then.

Thanked by 2randvegeta lazyt
  • My effort is to find "a Super Extra Big Carrot" for them.

Anyway the reminder is just a cron script. Like a simple birthday reminder thus we can utilize the rest of our brain capacity to find the best carrot for them.

TheOnlyDK said: Sure, if they send you reminders every month, then where's your effort? You are getting a free server and you expect someone else to remind you to get it renewed? You need to rethink about getting the server then.

Fritz said: Can you send notice two day prior termination to collect carrot? Sometime I loss my memory.

Invoices are sent automatically several days before the renewal date. This should be considered a reminder. If you ignore it, then your VPS will be terminated at the end of the term.

Fritz said: Why he shouldn't do that?

Because we are not your whipping boys. We are not offering a 'reminder' service. We are not going to take extra steps to help people do what they can do for themselves very easily. I'm sure you use your mobile phone alarm, or calendars and so on.

Fritz said: Think open minded.

I'm afraid all that comes to my mind is, cant be bothered. If you can't, we cant.

Jar said: Do you send direct through your own server or something like mandrill? If your own, what is the sending domain in the From header?

We send direct from our own server and using the domain vpsbit.com. Maybe we can arrange some tests? It is also possible we are blocking you???

Fritz said: My effort is to find "a Super Extra Big Carrot" for them.

Not sure what you mean by this. It's not really an effort to find a Carrot since you can just go to the same place every month to get it. You won't be able to find LARGER Carrot offers without paying for them, and if you do manage to get many by bypassing the existing restrictions, that would constitute a violation of our TOS and result in immediate termination.

Thanked by 1sandro

TheOnlyDK said: Sure, if they send you reminders every month, then where's your effort? You are getting a free server and you expect someone else to remind you to get it renewed? You need to rethink about getting the server then.

VPSBiT thanks you for your defensive stance! Happy to have people like you use our services. How about a free upgrade? Open a ticket and we'll up your RAM ;-).

Thanked by 1sandro
  • randvegeta said: tried to install Debian 8

Actually I managed to install Debian 8 32 Bit without any issues. It certainly takes longer than 10 minutes but it stills and I can login. Just had the issue once that the password I set for the admin user wasn't accepted. I reinstalled and it worked.

• TrollburnTrollburn Member
    edited September 2015

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Only if you PS the rabbit out. They only want carrots, not another creature to share their carrots with.

Haha, maybe if with rabbits it's for lifetime service lol. Is datacenter have any peering with Asia?.

@Trollburn, We have a DC in Asia. What are you looking for?

• @randvegeta said:
    Trollburn, We have a DC in Asia. What are you looking for?

$20/mo right?

For now i don't need cause i have HK node in HostWithLinux @linuxthefish. Can you please pm me HK test ip's for future considerations Thank you.

• @sandro said:

On provisioning, Create a user ID and password and login with user ID.
    Somehow root ID and password is not accepted, keeps saying login invalid.

• @john564 SSH security ;) aka "PermitRootLogin without-password"

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    john564 SSH security ;) aka "PermitRootLogin without-password"

Open Hardware Project :D