Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

eNetSouth Cloud VMware in San Jose down - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

eNetSouth Cloud VMware in San Jose down

Comments

• So my VPS was suspended over me not paying. Not a single email, no warning, and you have to remember every month yourself to login and pay. Submitted a ticket to cancel my account, looking elsewhere now.

Anyone care to recommend a decent VPN-allowed US KVM provider?

• alberthrocksalberthrocks Member
    edited November 2011

@miTgiB said: 1) In LA, what is downtime? Actually, I've only been in LA since July and have had 0 downtime and all the nodes have been up since they were powered on with the exception of 1 panic, but all outages are always announced before I start working on the problem on the announcement page so I can ignore tickets while fixing things.

2) As i1.net since 1995 then as hostigation.com since 2006

3) Probably, will need to see how the node is you land on.

Alright, I trust you. :) I've signed up for that last VPS. Thanks for the offer! :D
    I hope we can do business together for quite some time! :)

And since I've paid/signed up, what can we do about increasing space? (Brandon told me that space allocation for you guys is pretty cheap?) I'm pausing the Debian install until I receive a reply (partitioning after installation can be a pain).

@webguy said: So my VPS was suspended over me not paying. Not a single email, no warning, and you have to remember every month yourself to login and pay. Submitted a ticket to cancel my account, looking elsewhere now.

Sounds like they're getting desperate... :P

@webguy said: Anyone care to recommend a decent VPN-allowed US KVM provider?

BuyVM is a top recommended host here, and although it's currently sold out, the owner is restocking very soon - see http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/buyvm-kvm-birthday-sale-25year-128mb-in-san-jose/#comment-52349. :)

Note that this is BuyVM.NET, not .COM. Some guy probably thought it would be funny to do some cybersquatting on that domain...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@alberthrocks said: Note that this is BuyVM.NET, not .COM. Some guy probably thought it would be funny to do some cybersquatting on that domain...

Kinda.

.com was parked/whatever for quite some time so we picked up .NET. .COM dropped some time after and we didn't notice, that's where the current owner stepped in and snagged it.

He then took the domain and shoved an auto affiliate link that would trigger making it so any traffic to the site got him cash. He then literally copy/pasted our site onto his so he was ramping up $400/m in affiliate cash.

Aldryic caught onto it extremely quick once he tried to start buying VM's up and selling them to other people, simply abusing it all. Aldryic offered him the rest of his affiliate cash in exchange the domain would be transferred to us. He denied so Aldryic sent him a termination notice.

The current people he plugs have stated they have no intentions to ring in, and at one point .com mimic'd our stallion management page (at the time SolusVM) and pointed it to the new host. This confused a LOT of people. @drmike actually contacted the host and they stated they 'were going to look into it', but never did. Thankfully, I did something about it, got the fellows DNS hosting revoked and godaddy/whoever deadlyspace is using for their registar is being investigated for intentional phish hosting.

Francisco

• @alberthrocks said: And since I've paid/signed up, what can we do about increasing space? (Brandon told me that space allocation for you guys is pretty cheap?) I'm pausing the Debian install until I receive a reply (partitioning after installation can be a pain).

Reboot and start over

[root@e3la04 ~]# lvextend -L+25G /dev/VolGroup00/kvm687_img
      Extending logical volume kvm687_img to 50.00 GiB
      Logical volume kvm687_img successfully resized

• webguy said: you have to remember every month yourself to login and pay

No offense mate, but does your phone give you period reminders to eat or flush waste from your body?

• @Francisco They actually did get back to me when I pointed out that the login page was redirecting to their login page and could be considered a phish attempt and stated that they were going to ToS the guy but I never followed up on it.

• @Aldryic,

You forgot that human body does signal to eat or flush waste from one's body.

IMO, a provider doesn't need a computer scientist to setup a monthly reminder to clients reminding them of due date. It's easy to setup and convenient for the clients to remember due payments. Personally I expect from my service providers to send me one reminder before due date.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@drmike said: @Francisco They actually did get back to me when I pointed out that the login page was redirecting to their login page and could be considered a phish attempt and stated that they were going to ToS the guy but I never followed up on it.

Nor did he ever.

The site was up for multiple months after you did it.

• biplab said: You forgot that human body does signal to eat or flush waste from one's body.

No, I did not forget this. A poor example perhaps, but an example nonetheless.

Yes, it's very easy to setup invoice reminders, such as what we have. At least 4 notifications per invoice until it's paid. However, I don't feel that "You didn't remind me, so I forgot" should be an acceptable excuse for any "adult".

And if you're selling to minors? Shame on you, buddy.

• @Aldryic said: "You didn't remind me, so I forgot"

Yes this is not an acceptable excuse. An adult should check for their due bills. But adults have a busy work life. So at least one reminder is always helpful.

Similarly a service provider should not tell client - "Hey buddy, go and find out your due bills. If you forget to pay I'll disconnect your service". To me, it's sounds like the provider is not interested in providing service.

@Aldryic said: And if you're selling to minors? Shame on you, buddy.

No buddy, I don't do business deal with minors. ;-)

• They do send invoice reminders, but they always end up in spam. Check your spam, mine is full of invoice reminders for the servers I've cancelled. Apparently I owe them $14 now.

• so, where is Brandon? did he fly-by-night and the party is over?

• 187j3x1 said: so, where is Brandon? did he fly-by-night and the party is over?

That's pretty much what it's looking like.

• @miTgiB said: Reboot and start over

Now THAT's what I call decent service! :) Just a reminder - you need to find a way to bill that to my account, unless it's free. ;) (And if it is free, thanks! I'm somewhat tight on cash these days...)

2 more questions for ya:
    1) Can I eat CPU time? (Basically, is it 2 CPU cores all to yourself or shared?)
    2) I can't access my VPS externally. Is there something I have to set up? I've installed the default SSHD/HTTPD, and they're running.

@biplab said: Similarly a service provider should not tell client - "Hey buddy, go and find out your due bills. If you forget to pay I'll disconnect your service". To me, it's sounds like the provider is not interested in providing service.

IIRC, Brandon wrote his own client management system instead of licensing SolusVM and then building off that, which may be the reason why he has so many problems now. The (new?) client system didn't even support managing Paypal subscriptions (which is what I had, so I didn't have to worry about being late on payment).

• @albert
    Let's call it fair usage

If a node have... 4 cpus for example, and each client have assigned 2 of them, what do you think if 2 customers eat their 2 cpus and you, the third customer can't do nothing because the others are abusing? That's the idea.

• alberthrocks said: 1) Can I eat CPU time? (Basically, is it 2 CPU cores all to yourself or shared?)

Do the math. Tim's nodes have 16 GB memory, so 2 times 16 is 32. His nodes have 8 cores, so it is obviously shared.

alberthrocks said: 2) I can't access my VPS externally. Is there something I have to set up? I've installed the default SSHD/HTTPD, and they're running.

Have you even installed OS via KVM? If so, did you enable DHCP to set network settings for you? If you are on node x6la01 by any chance, you need to set network settings manually as DHCP doesn't work there.

• @alberthrocks said: 2 more questions for ya:

https://hostigation.com/billing/contact.php maybe? Why rely on a third-party website to get answers from your host, especially when the host is prompt to answer support tickets?

• @sleddog said: https://hostigation.com/billing/contact.php maybe? Why rely on a third-party website to get answers from your host, especially when the host is prompt to answer support tickets?

Agree

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2011

iKocka said: you need to set network settings manually as DHCP doesn't work there.

I've been seeing mixed results, I look in the log files and Debian seems to actively refuse the address offered via dhcpd, but static addressing is always preferential anyway. I've also updated virsh and libvirt on all of the EL5 nodes so that has resolved a few other issues that were cropping up once a VPS reboots. I always get scared of going all out with yum update on a running KVM node, and none have been rebooted since put into service, or the 1 node has panic'd so no way to update like that.

@albertrocks yes, everyone gets fair share, but fair share of an E3-1270 is quite robust.

Most of the clients buying the larger packages (1-2gb) are usually running cPanel so they get the 2-4 cores and it does help them tons when they need it, but rarely need it. But you should see how fast apache/php compile with 4 cores on an E3, amazing.

• @iKocka said: Have you even installed OS via KVM? If so, did you enable DHCP to set network settings for you? If you are on node x6la01 by any chance, you need to set network settings manually as DHCP doesn't work there.

Of course - the Debian setup obviously gave me that. :)
    My node is e3la04, so I have no idea.

@sleddog said: https://hostigation.com/billing/contact.php maybe? Why rely on a third-party website to get answers from your host, especially when the host is prompt to answer support tickets?

Because I'm too lazy... :P I guess I still have scars from eNS's ticket system... I'll try to push myself next time to use the built in one. :P

@miTgiB said: I've been seeing mixed results, I look in the log files and Debian seems to actively refuse the address offered via dhcpd, but static addressing is always proffered anyway. I've also updated virsh and libvirt on all of the EL5 nodes so that has resolved a few other issues that were cropping up once a VPS reboots. I always get scared of going all out with yum update on a running KVM node, and none have been rebooted since put into service, or the 1 node has panic'd so no way to update like that.

Hmm... interesting. I've opened a ticket on your website - we'll continue the discussion there.

Everyone else: I understand now (re: VPS CPUs), thanks for the clarification! :) Now I know that I shouldn't try installing and running a Blender mini-renderfarm on my server... :P
    Some of my IRC bots, though, may take CPU inadvertently. I might need to code a mini BASH script to CPU limit running programs if they eat too much CPU... :/

• diagonalfishdiagonalfish Member
    edited November 2011

I've been using the eNetSouth KVM in Birmingham since that original offer (http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/enetsouth-6-99-400mb-kvm-vps-in-birmingham/) came out - still up and running, but it is very interesting to me that I just got a call from PayPal asking them about my "satisfaction with my purchase", referring to the recent subscription payment to ENS. Having that happen right after seeing this thread definitely made me wonder how many people have been complaining to them.

• I'm sure they are getting many disputes and chargebacks right now

Thanked by 1wallace
  • A few more days for my dispute to be reviewed by PP. I sure hope they'll refund me ;(
    It was $7 for like 1.5 days of service.

• @diagonalfish RUN WHILE YOU CAN! Or make sure you have good backups :).

• diagonalfishdiagonalfish Member
    edited November 2011

@Kairus Yeah, planning to back everything up again this evening.

• Just to let everyone know, I've received the following email from Paypal:
    "We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor."

Small victory, yes, but at least someone's not running away with all our money.

• @tortau said: Just to let everyone know, I've received the following email from Paypal: "We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor."

Wow really?
    Can I ask, how much money and what plan do you had?
    How much time ago do you submitted your claim?

• Only $7, and it was for the KVM offer in Oct. Sorry, definitely hijacking this cloud hosting thread but I couldn't find the older one.

Anyway, I filed it on Oct 18th and waited until the 24th to escalate to a claim, and received the money today (Nov 4th). eNetSouth never responded or disputed it throughout the entire time.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Oh really? Good for you! Im still waiting for the outcome of my dispute in paypal :)

• Dear mr tux,

We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
    favor.

We were able to recover $19.50 USD and this amount has been credited to
    you. Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted.

Thanked by 1yomero