Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM announce new goodies inc Luxembourg location - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM announce new goodies inc Luxembourg location

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Amitz said: Now introducing: Trousercast!

(https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152531176332005&permPage=1)....Cockmagic?

Francisco

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@Francisco said:
    ...Cockmagic?

Wow! That cock! Meeow. :-)

• I would like it a lot if BuyVM lowered their prices a little. Anycast sounds sweet, but who really needs that...

• 4n0nx said: Anycast sounds sweet, but who really needs that...

Me, for example?

• @4n0nx said:
    I would like it a lot if BuyVM lowered their prices a little. Anycast sounds sweet, but who really needs that...

They're not worth a couple of extra $?

• @4n0nx said:
    I would like it a lot if BuyVM lowered their prices a little. Anycast sounds sweet, but who really needs that...

If you're focusing on price only, there's ChicagoVPS.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited November 2014

@Amitz said:
    Me, for example?

Not saying no one needs it just because I don't. It's a great feature for the ones who do.

@Nekki said:
    They're not worth a couple of extra $?

They are, it's just that I am looking for a long term solution for personal stuff and $5 vs $25/mo./2GB make a big difference. Not saying they should lower the prices to $5, just a bit...

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@4n0nx said:

You must be joking. For the services and quality they provide you would expect to pay 10-20 times the prices they charge.

@4n0nx said:

I really did sit down and look at it all, crunched the numbers, but just didn't like the whole 'compete on price'.

If you're doing minecraft, I do own a minecraft hosting company. If you have busy SQL, we do have offloaded SQL available in all locations.

Francisco

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I honestly don't understand how $45/year for 3 different containers around the world + anycast and 1500 GB of monthly transfer could be considered expensive.

Not the biggest BuyVM fan myself, but they are clearly dropping some big things which weren't available in the low-end segment at all. A steal for the price, honestly.

• @trewq said:
    You must be joking. For the services and quality they provide you would expect to pay 10-20 times the prices they charge.

I would not. Quality is good and offloaded MySQL+Anycast are great, but I don't need them. Price is ok as well, I just wish it was a little more competitive that's all.

@Nyr said:
    I honestly don't understand how $45/year for 3 different containers around the world + anycast and 1500 GB of monthly transfer could be considered expensive.

I don't need 3 containers around the world.

Maybe frantech could launch a cheap VPS sub brand. Oh wait.. ;D

Thanked by 1Francisco

4n0nx said: Price is ok as well, I just wish it was a little more competitive that's all.

Is $15/year not competitive enough? Or even $25/year for full virtualization. It's dirt cheap.

Thanked by 2Francisco alexh

@Nyr said:
    Is $15/year not competitive enough? Or even $25/year for full virtualization. It's dirt cheap.

He wants more for that $15/year.

To each their own, we're hoping to slowly work towards offering more enterprise driven features while keeping in the same pricing brackets.

Francisco

• @Nyr said:

implying this is your first day on let/leb.

4n0nx said: implying this is your first day on let/leb.

Competition is not only possible with a pricing war to the bottom. Some people does appreciate uptime and a decent service among many other things.

Thanked by 2shrubbles k0nsl
  • Nyr said: Competition is not only possible with a pricing war to the bottom. Some people does appreciate uptime and a decent service among many other things.

Some people also prefer to use service because he/she fully trust the provider :)

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @Francisco said:
    Minecraft hosting company

BTW, the BuyVM logo on the bottom of https://minerack.org/prices.html links to buyvm.com instead of .net

edited November 2014

How did Tim manage that one?

I'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Looks like an older version of the file got committed since mine & his local copies have .net in them. Anyway, thanks! I needed a good laugh :)

Francisco

• I see at the 'order services' page that Luxembourg is KVM Storage only. Will it be available for OVZ/normal KVM as well?

Thanks.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Nyr said: I honestly don't understand how $45/year for 3 different containers around the world + anycast and 1500 GB of monthly transfer could be considered expensive.

It's actually + anycast + DNS, backup space, offloaded MySQL, and probably other things I'm not remembering.

And a really nice panel :-)

Thanked by 3netomx FrankZ Francisco
  • Order link, where is order link :))

Thanked by 2netomx FrankZ
  • @Francisco Will Luxembourg be getting newer hardware like NJ?

Already checked http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/hardware

What are the specs on the new Luxembourg storage nodes?

@vimalware said:
    Francisco Will Luxembourg be getting newer hardware like NJ?

Already checked http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/hardware

What are the specs on the new Luxembourg storage nodes?

Storages are always L56xx stuff as that works best for it. They don't need E5's at all and E3's don't have enough cores to hold them well.

@sonic said:
    Order link, where is order link :))

Soon :)

@tcpdump said:
    I see at the 'order services' page that Luxembourg is KVM Storage only. Will it be available for OVZ/normal KVM as well?

Thanks.

We'll have all plans & services in full swing. Same pricing.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Hi Fran,

I'm confused you said Storages are always L56xx, yet in your wiki, for NJ (http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/hardware):
    Storage Nodes
    1 x E3 1230V2 3.2 Ghz CPU
    4 x 8GB Kingston 1333Mhz RAM
    3 x Adaptec 5805 doing RAID 60 with MDADM
    2 x 256GB SSD's for caching
    24 x Western Digital 4TB RED drives
    4U 24 bay Supermicro chassis

It seems that it is counter to what you stated above...

@godong said:
    Hi Fran,

I'm confused you said Storages are always L56xx, yet in your wiki, for NJ (http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/hardware):
    Storage Nodes
    1 x E3 1230V2 3.2 Ghz CPU
    4 x 8GB Kingston 1333Mhz RAM
    3 x Adaptec 5805 doing RAID 60 with MDADM
    2 x 256GB SSD's for caching
    24 x Western Digital 4TB RED drives
    4U 24 bay Supermicro chassis

It seems that it is counter to what you stated above...

It's an E3 for now but will likely be replaced sometime in the new year when we do the other upgrades. While the E3 does OK for now, there has been a few hiccups with them in the past.

We just prefer the higher core count CPU's since we don't have to bust as many chops when people spike CPU or if VM's get stuck somewhere (grub, boot cd's, etc) and burn an entire core.

Francisco

• Will shared hosting be available in LU as well? Can a reseller account (including data) be transferred or do i have to order a new one (can i just do a full dump in cpanel then, upload it by FTP and restore it?)?

@William said:
    Will shared hosting be available in LU as well? Can a reseller account (including data) be transferred or do i have to order a new one (can i just do a full dump in cpanel then, upload it by FTP and restore it?)?

Shared will be there. We aren't doing migrations yet until we get a good baseline on things.

Francisco

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Francisco said: @sonic said: Order link, where is order link :))

Soon :)

inb4 "Colocrossing ipv6 soon"

Thanked by 1netomx

@MikHo said:
    inb4 "Colocrossing ipv6 soon"

Dammit MikHo.

Wednesday launch :)

Guys were thinking maybe Black Friday but I wanted it sooner.

Francisco

Thanked by 1netomx