Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wable.com - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wable.com

Comments

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

alexh said: Sure hope you didn't thank that because you agreed with content.

I value your opinion, however I completely disagree. I thanked the comment because I did agree with the posters recognition that these are two different products. I do not agree in his insulting your teacher or you. You were comparing pricing for Bundle #1 to bundle #2 which is not a valid comparison. Bundle #1 was on older hardware and HDD drives ("crappy servers") and labeled for VPN usage. Bundle #2 and higher exist on newer hardware with SSD drives. So to say that there was an 800% price increase is inaccurate. An 800% price increase would mean that you were charged 800% more for the same product. In your math the two products are not the same. I do agree with you that the entry level cost has changed by 800% and that is accurate, but that is only because the two products are not of the same quality, as it was stated in several places the differences in bundle #1 and the other bundles.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

@0xdragon said:
    Wrong

That's really not a relevant response to what you quoted. It ignores the logic and motive which were both stated but not quoted, then assumes a different logic and offers a comparison to it. You have to invent a context that was not present to respond in that way. This entire thread is severely lacking in logic, I challenge you to not contribute to that fact.

To help you out a bit there, you replied as though I was purely comparing Wable's actions to alternate scenarios, and offered an alternate logic to that. I stated a comparison to the logic of the person that I was replying to, which was to group together two unrelated scenarios, one that happened and one that had not, and attempted to tie them together as somehow related when there is in fact no logical connection between the deletion of a column and the random assumption of a future changing of a value of a row from a different column. My comparison was accurate in that it represented two unrelated events with the only similarity being the involved party.

Thanked by 10xdragon
    edited November 2014

alexh said: That's an 800% price increase

How much of a percentage would the price increase be if they added a new plan that costs $400,000/m and everyone from Bundle 1 upgraded to it? I think you should also throw out that number for people to rage over as it is equally relevant to your flawed logic. Your logic is stating that everyone on Bundle 1 purchases a new bundle and therefore faces a price increase. Purchasing a new product because your other was discontinued is not, under any circumstances, a price increase. It is simply a discontinued product and your purchase of the next bundle is an expansion of your monthly expense, not an increase in their price for the product.

At least use logic guys. One can be upset without making things up like "14 is 50% more than 7 and 7 is the number of days they gave after the billing period to make backups, therefore everyone owes Wable $14."

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • Jar said: there is in fact no logical connection between the deletion of a column and the random assumption of a future changing of a value of a row from a different column.

The "value of rows from those other columns" has been changed before. Did you know the number of IPs was cut on the higher bundles, including for existing services?

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • @sleddog said:
    I dunno what all the fuss is about.

Incero offered the Bundle #1 as a loss leader, to get the "wable" brand out there. Lowendtalk provided a nice platform to help do that.

Now they've achieved the objective and they're tired of dealing with "cheap" customers, so the boss says, "shut 'em down".

The point is that they didn't achieve that objective, though (although that is arguable, I guess). My thinking is that the loss leader concept works when you stick to your guns and gradually build trust with it rather than impulsively aborting and dumping clients en masse.

@rm_ said:
    I wonder why some of you have such a strong Stockholm syndrome to defend this Wable.

At least it's amusing. :)

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • cpaquettecpaquette Member
    edited November 2014

I don't think Wable/Incero has done anything wrong, as I doubt any startup or VPS-aware person would run a mission critical app on the 99¢ server. Therefore the 7 day notice, while not generous, is long enough for almost everybody to upgrade or move on.

That said, discontinuing plan 1 seems like a mistake. I read an article today about Evernote, which has a free plan, one for $5 a month. and corporate plans for much more. Over 90% of their users are free but Evernote is fine with that, as the longer free users stay the more likely they are to convert to paying. Money quote: "So it’s more important that you stay than you pay."

Wable now competes against DO, Vultr and almost every service here at a higher price point and without introductory promotions. It will be interesting to see if the perceived quality and breadth of its services will be enough to attract satisfied customers.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
    edited November 2014

@Dylan said:
    The "value of rows from those other columns" has been changed before. Did you know the number of IPs was cut on the higher bundles, including for existing services?

How does the value of one field relate to the value of another field in a different row and column in this case? Making assumptions about future changes to fields in different rows accomplishes less than very little. I cannot see a logical reason to speculate on it short of emotion or unspoken motive.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • alexhalexh Member
    edited November 2014

rm_ said: right to make a mental note near a provider's name, "oh those are the guys who suddenly cut me off from my VPS, made me waste time reconfiguring everything with a new box at another provider, yeah they place their own profit above good relations with a customer, shouldn't really trust them in the future".

This. I always consider a host's previous actions (learned via reviews or personal experience) in selecting them or more importantly entrusting them. I fail to see how using previous actions to make predictions as to future actions is illogical, but @jar you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • if they could do this now, they will surely do this again in the future by giving childish excuses People abuse plan #1, plan #1 is not profitable .. stay away from them.

Thanked by 2ryanarp alexh
  • Jar said: Making assumptions about future changes

It could as well be predictions based on historical behaviors.

Thanked by 2ryanarp alexh
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

I thought a lot about this. Tried it with dialectics and stuff. But I am still pissed. Even though I own a Bundle #3 and I really like it. But that kind of chop and change decisions make me feel uncomfortable and unsafe for the future with this provider. That is propably my "No Bullshit" attitude. So hate it or love it.

Thanked by 2ryanarp kerouac
  • alexhalexh Member
    edited November 2014

Ethics is a big part of running a business or representing one. I can say for sure the practice Wable has engaged in is called "bait-and-switch." Please read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

Sound familiar? That's the issue here. Have a nice day, I won't be participating in this conversation anymore as there's nothing else to say. Incero and Wable's reviews speak for themselves.

Edit: To clarify, the practice of bait-and-switch is common in the hosting industry. One example of this includes "unlimited" storage or bandwidth offerings where the host suspends you for using a certain amount; even more commonly is the guarantee of 24/7 support or uptime. In the case of Wable, a low-priced product was offered, and no finite end date was given to clients; if a client were to continue service with Wable, for whatever reason, they would have to buy the higher-priced product. I do understand that plan #2 includes a significant amount more resources and is hosted on higher-grade hardware than the now extinct plan #1. Alternative contexts:

http://blog.easydns.org/2014/02/21/7-great-web-hosting-screwings-to-watch-out-for/
    http://www.thewhir.com/blog/bait-and-switch
    http://wordpress.ehrenwerks.com/cyber-bait-switch/
    http://blog.pelland.com/tag/bait-and-switch/

edited November 2014

@alexh Post removed as you removed the paragraphs of personal insults. Keep your emotions in check, consider taking a break for the good of yourself and others. Thanks :)

Thanked by 2ryanarp vRozenSch00n
  • ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited November 2014

alexh said: "bait-and-switch."

Did Incero advertise their low-low-low $0.75 plan? Did you get what you paid for?

No, they did not -- unless I am mistaken -- and yes, you did.

Let's take a look at the page you linked for a fuller definition:

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all

If service at $0.75/mo was all you could afford, well, my sympathies to you, and I'm sure there are many bottom of the barrel hosts more than willing to take your three quarters a month.

You did not get it for as long as you'd like, presumably, and you may not have liked the amount of notice you were given. These are legitimate complaints. But you got it, stock was plentiful, and service inspired some decent reviews even with the warning that those servers weren't as good as the ones the rest of the customers were hosted on.

There was no contract, there was no implied length of service -- to expect Incero to keep up a deal like this forever you must have been smoking something really, really good.

• Jar said: Keep your emotions in check

It's lowendtalk and it's in large measure an emotional issue. You may want to keep your logic in check ;)

Thanked by 1alexh
  • praveenpraveen Member
    edited November 2014

I will be with them till they provide the agreed resources for bundle #3 for that price, if any increase or changes in it, next day I am out. It may take some time and effort for resetup with another provider but i don't care and I am ok with it.

There is no point in thinking too much they may do the same with other bundles and personally I don't think they will do it unless they are not going to continue the business.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2014

ihatetonyy said: There was no contract, there was no implied length of service -- to expect Incero to keep up a deal like this forever you must have been smoking something really, really good.

So what you're saying is that this was clearly beta testing phase people wasted their time and (some little) money for?

Thanked by 2ryanarp ahmiq
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

Spirit said: So what you're saying is that this was clearly beta testing phase people waste their time and (some little) money for?

I don't see many cases where money would be wasted, but certainly time to migrate after the unexpected cancellation.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • perennate said: I don't see many cases where money would be wasted, but certainly time to migrate after the relatively sudden and unexpected cancellation.

Personally I usually don't even bother with VPS where I know that I won't be able to keep it long term under same conditions. It's just waste of time.
    But that's me.

edited November 2014

ihatetonyy said: to expect Incero to keep up a deal like this forever you must have been smoking something really, really good.

I think most people expected Incero to maintain the plan, at least for existing customers. I am unconvinced that that expectation was unreasonable, especially in a situation where the host made no announcement at time of sale that the plan would expire after some time.

There are cases where server providers offer a paid product that is clearly labelled as beta and subject to possible cancellation, but that is not applicable here.

edited November 2014

alexh said: Sound familiar? That's the issue here. Have a nice day, I won't be participating in this conversation anymore as there's nothing else to say. Incero and Wable's reviews speak for themselves.

I don't agree with your comparison to bait and switch. In a bait and switch case, the seller's goal is to get customers who show up to the store to purchase an alternative product. On the other hand, the general consensus with Wable seems to be that they offered the level 1 product as a form of advertising for their other products, but certainly not targeting the same customers; so in that case there's less harm for customer (assuming same products; obviously VM cancel can cause more "harm" than store running out of discount candy, but that's not what I'm saying). Either way bait and switch doesn't make sense in online shopping or subscription services so not sure why you brought it up.

Thanked by 2ryanarp ihatetonyy
  • @ryanarp Are you thanking for every post now?

• @Amitz He's thankful that this thread is titled "Wable.com" and not "Wable Sucks!" - and the first 2.5 pages are positive, so even when it starts ranking it'll look like a 5+ page thread about how awesome Wable is.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • I had their #3 bundle for a while. Support was decent and the server itself was alright, however, I cancelled my services and deleted my account right after this happened. Removing a bundle from sale isn't a big deal, neither is increasing the price, but applying these changes to your existing customers is a deal breaker for me. I'm not going to do business with a company that doesn't value its customers.

• @Amitz said:
    ryanarp Are you thanking for every post now?

He didn't thank your post though (Seems to be the 1st one he didn't thank :)

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

geekalot said: He didn't thank your post though (Seems to be the 1st one he didn't thank :)

Busy racking servers :P All caught up now.

Amitz said: @ryanarp Are you thanking for every post now?

Yes, Wouldn't want to leave anyone out. If I am selective, people apparently draw the conclusion I am one sided, however I personally value the feedback of everyone who has a concern.

• @ryanarp hangin' there and keep up the good work, buddy :)

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • @Spirit said:
    So what you're saying is that this was clearly beta testing phase people wasted their time and (some little) money for?

I wasn't aware they got nothing out of it? Is receiving services for money a waste now?

@perennate said:
    There are cases where server providers offer a paid product that is clearly labelled as beta and subject to possible cancellation, but that is not applicable here.

I would not have expected longevity if the company openly expressed that the servers the VMs were on were not on equal footing as the rest, not to mention the slight price increase -- which also prompted breathless outrage amongst some.

I can't imagine these plans were self sustaining. I don't know about Incero's internal structure and don't want to make any stupid assumptions but I doubt that it was worth it to continue the Bundle 1 services or keep the hardware they were on operational, which also excludes any possible support time drains.

Thanked by 3jar ryanarp RLT
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2014

ihatetonyy said: I wasn't aware they got nothing out of it? Is receiving services for money a waste now?

For me personally it would be complete waste of time and money, yes. But that's mostly because when I purchase vps and set up things it may take a time before I actually start to actively use. I usually don't rent server for month or two. That's trial period where I mostly waste time to set up things, observe, etc..

Like I said in another post, I usually don't even bother with VPS where I know that I won't be able to keep it long term under same conditions. It's just waste of time. That's why beta testing doesn't appeal to me. Paid even less.

• Re-active my Wable account again to use the promo link :)