Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it when... - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Love it when...

Comments

• It has improve a lot since then ^^ They have ~40 patches per week, and the release before this latest one had 300+ 0_o

Oh, nice. Maybe I can ditch bloatdows soon too if this keeps up :P

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Wintereise said: Also @joepie91 No personal offense or harm meant, just a heated debate, is all :P

Alright, just wasn't sure what you were refering to :P

@Wintereise said: Maybe I'll take it for a spin again soon.

Be sure to check out PlayOnLinux. It's in the repository of just about every major distro as far as I am aware, and it contains a lot of scripts (plus possibility for user scripts) to get applications/games working, plus allows per-application configuration. A POL script basically ensures the optimal WINE version is installed with optimal configuration etc. for a specific game or application, including patched libraries or other things required to get it to run. Additionally, Q4Wine is a useful alternative interface to configure WINE.

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • Hmm, will do :)

• @liam said: To be fair these market shares are normally carried out with a young/knowledgeable (about computers) demographic

Its not like they would run around in the citys asking people which browser they use or so. I would think that its UserAgent data collected on many sites

• nabonabo Member

@Dozn said: I honestly believe the OS battle will be between MacOSX and Linux in the next 20 years.

Let's not hope that it'll be like that. Apple is completely unpredictable in terms of business usage. They might evolve in the touch device market with those $5 touch-and-bling-games. They successfully got rid of most of their business clients. And I don't think that Apple is targeting at the business users anymore.

• @nabo said: They successfully got rid of most of their business clients.

Microsoft are trying todo that (Metro).

Only major OS company offering a OS tailored to businesses is Ubuntu.

• Can't believe I just wasted my time reading another massively uninformed "Windows vs Linux" thread.. maybe, maybe 2-3 of the posters actually knew what they were talking about >_<

Time for this thread to die as well, methinks.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Aldryic said: Can't believe I just wasted my time reading

And now you know why whiskey comes in barrels

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: And now you know why whiskey comes in barrels

Since this topic died off pages ago...

I know you don't drink anymore sir, but I found a wonderful mix last night. 1/4 glass of Vanilla Coke against 3/4 glass of this:

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic I think most of us are speaking from experience 3-4 years ago with using linux on our desktop environments (KDE for me, since someone was a smartass and said linux is not a desktop environment). It appears that there have been major advancements in technologies since then according to @Joepie91

• @Aldryic said: I know you don't drink anymore sir, but I found a wonderful mix last night. 1/4 glass of Vanilla Coke against 3/4 glass of this:

Oh god, remembers me when i had a 3/4 bottle of Vodka when i was like 16 (and never really drank before) - didn't feel anything glass after glass and then everything kicked in at once, that was an expirience :D
    No hangover however (also not now, i can drink as much as i want - zero hangover, ever)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: No hangover however (also not now, i can drink as much as i want - zero hangover, ever)

Not saying you are, but some studies have show Europeans are mostly maintenance alcoholics while Americans are mostly binge alcoholics since many Europeans consume it daily while Americans usually on weekends.

• Nah, i avoid drinking even one beer if the next day is a working day.

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: Not saying you are, but some studies have show Europeans are mostly maintenance alcoholics

There's nothing wrong with a cool beer after 4pm. Beer is actually the only natural isotonic beverage (as long as it's brewed according to the German purity law). And I guess that drinking non-alcoholic beer is much more common in Germany than in the US.

• @Corey said: @Aldryic I think most of us are speaking from experience 3-4 years ago with using linux on our desktop environments (KDE for me, since someone was a smartass and said linux is not a desktop environment).

Just FYI, I've been strictly linux for almost 15 years. But yes, there have been some pretty major leaps; same with Windows. That's why I don't judge either without a recent trial.

@nabo said: There's nothing wrong with a cool beer after 4pm.

While this really doesn't need to turn into an argument on whether or not alcohol is evil (we all have our own preferences, and we'll live our lifestyles as we choose to), I agree with nabo. I drink occasionally throughout the day (starting with some coffee in my bourbon if I'm waking up to a bunch of 'those' tickets), though I don't drink to what I consider to be excess; I can't really remember the last time I was 'buzzed', let alone actually drunk.

• @liam said: @aldryic Memory loss is a side effect ;)

What were we talking about? <_<

I suppose my racial bonuses grant me an immunity then.. but again, I don't drink to get drunk, either.

• @liam said: Haha I was just joking because you said you couldn't remember ;)

I figured, hence my "what were we talking about" XD

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: While this really doesn't need to turn into an argument on whether or not alcohol is evil

Oh, I wasn't speaking of alcoholic beer. As I said, in Germany it's quite common to drink non-alcoholic beer after sports etc. because of it's natural isotonic effect and it's great taste :-)

• Can you make non-alcoholic beer in accordance with the purity law?

• nabonabo Member
    edited June 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Can you make non-alcoholic beer in accordance with the purity law?

Sure, because it's not completely alcoholic free. It still has a rest alcohol of max. 0,5%. The thing is you slower the generation of the alcohol during the brewing process. Purity law means you just take water, barley, yeast and hop. Nothing else added. The Purity law, however, does not forbid to slower the process of creating alcohol.

• Why so much hate? Windows 7 is a very well made OS, no questions about it.

Thanked by 2taipres Kairus
  • I love it when Xen's kernel panics at random times of the day. Thanks Xen >_>

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@TheHackBox said: I love it when Xen's kernel panics at random times of the day.

Would you prefer it to panic at fixed day hours (configurable in /etc/cronpanictab) ?

:-)

• @joepie91 said: Not really, no. The reason there are very few viruses for Linux is the same reason there are very few viruses for OS X despite the latter becoming quite a lot more frequently used (one major virus outbreak? Really?); the security model is much more solid. Saying "it's just about the market share" pretty much comes down to ignoring every other possible variable.

I think a large amount of it is market share. At the same time, though, a large amount is the security models, and a large amount is the userbase (I'd hazard a guess that the percentage of Linux users with good knowledge about this stuff is MUCH higher than Windows). IMO.

• @DimeCadmium said: I think a large amount of it is market share.

Then why are there hardly any (if any) Linux viruses?

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@William said: Oh god, remembers me when i had a 3/4 bottle of Vodka when i was like 16 (and never really drank before) - didn't feel anything glass after glass and then everything kicked in at once, that was an expirience :D

No hangover however (also not now, i can drink as much as i want - zero hangover, ever)

God... I remember like the second time I had ever gotten drunk, back in January... went to a bar with some friends while I was in Finland... got sooooo drunk... and THEN they got me some of this like 75%ABV absinthe.

I knocked over the first shotglass of absinthe.

I downed the second one and stumbled back to the table.

Thank God I don't get hangovers either. Seriously. I don't even want to imagine what the next morning would've felt like...

• CoreyCorey Member

@DimeCadmium , never been privileged enough to have any of that. Sounds bad ass :)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@William said: remembers me when i had a 3/4 bottle of Vodka when i was like 16 (and never really drank before) - didn't feel anything glass after glass and then everything kicked in at once, that was an expirience :D

Happened to me too only with rum(bacardi I think) and pepsi as the kicker(had some ginseng stuff in it). Didn't feel anything and before I knew it most the bottle was drank and then it hit me all at once...couldn't move much, kept blacking out then coming too, puking, shaking...was very scary and I thought I was gonna die and most likely would have, I begged The Lord in prayer to let me live though, and thankfully He did. I don't believe i've drank since(been 2-3 years) and I have no desire to drink again :P

TBH I've only ever liked the taste of one type of liquor, some canadian stuff, rest of the beer/liquor i've had was disgusting, but that didn't matter after awhile(when I was drunk and couldn't taste it anymore) ;)

• CoreyCorey Member

@taipres That reminds me of the first time I drank.... symptoms were about the same but it was with a one gallon bottle of vodka.

• @Corey said: one gallon bottle of vodka

Gallon? Or Litre? :P