Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it when... - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Love it when...

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@taipres said: Even paypal since a lot of times users have a CC hooked up to that.

Then that's not a paypal chargeback, that's a CC chargeback :P Paypal (paid with paypal funds) has a 45 day limit. That's why you usually see the drive by deadpoolers last 46 days then boot it.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: . Pretty sure we're one of the few hosts on here giving 300 - 500M/sec sequential read/writes on IO and one of the only ones (the only one?) with SSD caching in place at no additional cost.

Thats misleading. You should specify that that's OVZ only.

@antiven said: Thats misleading. You should specify that that's OVZ only.

The DD's are OVZ but the SSD's are going on everything. In fact the latest KVM node to go up today has one in there.

Francisco

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Francisco said: Then that's not a paypal chargeback, that's a CC chargeback :P Paypal (paid with paypal funds) has a 45 day limit. That's why you usually see the drive by deadpoolers last 46 days then boot it.

Francisco

Yeah I know but previously said you need to get picky amount of details, to stop the chargeback fraud, but what i'm saying is it can happen even through paypal and most people who use paypal aren't willing to fill out page full of personal info like if they were paying with CC directly, so is harder to protect against. This is why I like bitcoin, they keep their privacy, but they also can't chargeback :p

• @Francisco said: Pretty sure we're one of the few hosts on here giving 300 - 500M/sec sequential read/writes on IO

AT:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.75696 s, 389 MB/s
    CH:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.31901 s, 463 MB/s
    DE:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.3031 s, 466 MB/s
    US:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.24538 s, 478 MB/s
    FR:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.42441 s, 443 MB/s
    PL:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.69866 s, 398 MB/s

;-)

• TazTaz Member

Loveit when LET discussions gets off topic too fast. Too many spammers :D

• 1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.75696 s, 389 MB/s
    CH:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.31901 s, 463 MB/s
    DE:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.3031 s, 466 MB/s
    US:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.24538 s, 478 MB/s
    FR:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.42441 s, 443 MB/s
    PL:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.69866 s, 398 MB/s

It says on your site you're using raid1, you're really getting those type of speeds with that? Also while those speeds are fantastic for database stuff, your plans seem to offer really tiny disk space :(

• @taipres said: This is why I like bitcoin, they keep their privacy, but they also can't chargeback :p

And then when you terminate someone for slamming your nodes and spamming from your IP space, which puts you in a bad spot with your own host, they're free to very easily sign up over and over and over.

@taipres said: Also while those speeds are fantastic for database stuff

You want IOPs for database work, not sequential speeds :P

@William - As I said, one of, good work :D

Francisco

• @taipres said: It says on your site you're using raid1, you're really getting those type of speeds with that?

We use RAID10, not RAID1.

@Francisco said: @William - As I said, one of, good work :D

Granted i intentionally leaved UK and SE1 out of that statistic, they throw it down with barely 200MB/s :(

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic said: And then when you terminate someone for slamming your nodes and spamming from your IP space, which puts you in a bad spot with your own host, they're free to very easily sign up over and over and over.

That's why you log their IP, and use the typical fraud prevention methods, banning proxies, Tor, certain countries/cities/regions etc...from purchasing. To stop spam have automated system watch new customers for a certain time period more closely than others. If they try and send to many emails at once, using typical spammer keywords, etc...the thing is spammers are lazy and usually don't do much/anything to avoid detection and usually don't wait long to show you what they're gonna do, so shouldn't be that hard to catch em. You can detect rumer and other spammer software easy too if you want to go outside just email.

• @taipres said: That's why you log their IP

Useless against most ISPs, who issue via DHCP. One reset of a home router, and they've gotten around your block. If you try to block the subnet, you end up nailing innocents.

@taipres said: use the typical fraud prevention methods, banning proxies, Tor, certain countries/cities/regions etc...from purchasing

A handful of proxy and VPN services can be setup so that you can't tell if the user is on their own IP or a proxy. Blocking VPNs will also eliminate the vast majority of corporate clients and folks that tried to purchase from their work.

Tor is a given, accepting any order from a known Tor node is just asking for trouble.

When you're accepting bitcoin, you've just eliminated any chance of verifying country/city/region. Granted, not many PayPal accounts have this data, but all Credit/Debit cards will. You can also track individual PayPal accounts very easily, since having to setup new PP accounts will be an additional hassle for spammers.

@taipres said: If they try and send to many emails at once, using typical spammer keywords, etc

Now you're violating client confidentiality. Snooping on client traffic is a very fast way to lose any credibility in the market.

@taipres said: the thing is spammers are lazy and usually don't do much/anything to avoid detection

Completely false. For many of them, their scams/spam is their livelyhood, and they will go to lengths to avoid being caught. Bitcoin works massively in their favour.

@taipres said: usually don't wait long to show you what they're gonna do

Partially true. However, actually catching them without snooping on data transfer would mean a proactive approach to handling abuse reports; and even then, it's statistically rare that people do anything other than just delete the spam. Professional spammers will take care to not send mail to known honeypots, organizational emails, and other traps that will report them.

@taipres said: You can detect rumer and other spammer software easy too if you want to go outside just email.

See the above concerning client confidentiality.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

It's your responsibility as a hosting provider to provide a stable and reliable network and allowing spammers to run wild then cleaning up the mess afterwards, instead of preventing it is unfair to your other clients. I'm not saying spy on everything they do, i'm saying have triggers set to look for certain keywords, the frequencies of emails sent, etc... typical anti-email spam methods that are well known and easy to learn about(google spamhaus for some clever tricks). Email spam is illegal in the US so you're in your right to protect against it. Just like gmail and the rest do.

I'm not going to address each thing you said, but briefly in terms of proxies, almost every single public one can be differentiated from a residental IP. You can do this via various means but they're typically easy to spot depending on the country. Private proxies and VPN usually are too, but sometimes not. In terms of dynamic user IP's, it's still going to resolve down to the same city or very close, and may even be same netblock so these are all little patterns that can add up. Reality is nothings ever going to be full proof but there's a lot that can be used, that can drastically cut down on would be scammers vs acting like you're helpless.

So you can either consider these options, or enjoy getting your IPs blacklisted, upsetting your ISP's etc...and making your customers deal with bad neighbors affecting their quality of service.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: allowing spammers to run wild then cleaning up the mess afterwards, instead of preventing it is unfair to your other clients.

I never said you should. We have very little trouble with spammers (and other abusers) because of how stringent I am about account details. If I allowed anonymous clients, we would have no end of grief.

@taipres said: I'm not saying spy on everything they do, i'm saying have triggers set to look for certain keywords, sent email frequencies sent, etc... typical anti-email spam methods that are well known and easy to learn about(google spamhaus for some clever tricks).

You're still monitoring their traffic; confidentiality and security is important to us, so this is an absolute no-go.

@taipres said: Email spam is illegal in the US so you're in your right to protect against it.

It's illegal to sell prescription narcotics without a license/etc, but that doesn't give me the right to put up cameras in a restroom to make sure kids aren't trading pills.

@taipres said: Just like gmail and the rest do.

Insinuating that gmail snoops user data is a very heavy accusation, and you'd better have some proof to back that up with. Yes, they have the capability (just like any provider that uses OpenVZ); but if you're going to make the claim that they do, back it up.

@taipres said: in terms of proxies, almost every single public one can be differentiated from a residental IP

That's a negative. A residential ISP can be differentiated from a corporate/non-profit/etc, but anyone that takes the time to read man docs can easily 'hide' their proxy/VPN service, whether hosted on a home connection, a rooted residential ADSL modem, or some random provider.

@taipres said: In terms of dynamic user IP's, it's still going to resolve down to the same city or very close

Only when the ISP is a 'local' entity, or a statewide/national/global that actually keeps accurate GeoIP records. Considering that for the past week I've gone through ~150 orders a day (not counting the other years I've been doing this), I'd say I have enough experience to say that there are plenty of ISPs that do not keep accurate records. Anyone using MaxMind can attest to that. And that's still not even mentioning countries like China, full of legitimate clients but only a handful of major ISPs. Beijing is HUGE, and that's often the closest location you will get. Oft times, the reported location is halfway into another province.

And then you have cellular ISPs. With how common tablets, smartphones, and netbook/aircard combos are now, you'll have a good number of innocents that will get reported as being tens, if not hundreds, of miles from their actual location.

@taipres said: Reality is nothings ever going to be full proof but there's a lot that can be used, that can drastically cut down on would be scammers vs acting like you're helpless.

That's true. And exactly how is adding an anonymous payment method going to help things at all?

@taipres said: So you can either consider these options, or enjoy getting your IPs blacklisted, upsetting your ISP's etc...

... I think you've drifted into an entirely different conversation now. I have a reputation of being a hardass about fraud/abuse for a reason, and I would strongly appreciate you not try and lecture to me on an issue that you need some severe brushing up on.

• u4iau4ia Member

@taipres said: still going to resolve down to the same city or very close

My residential IP geoip's 120 miles away.

• Love it when people threaten to write bad reviews about you even though they never purchased anything..

• nabonabo Member

@u4ia said: My residential IP geoip's 120 miles away.

Mine too, especially when I'm using the mobile network (UMTS).

• @taipres we all know you hate BuyVM, get over it. :P

• I'm not going back and forth with you all day Aldryic, I have work to do, but seeing as other providers on here do accept bitcoin and are doing fine shows how flawed your "I think I know it all" attitude really is. I could spend hours talking about bitcoin, and the rest but is waste of time, so i'll just let you believe what you want to believe.

And Jeffrey I don't hate BuyVM in the least. As long as Francisco runs it I think it'll be in good hands.

• @taipres said: I'm not going back and forth with you all day Aldryic,

There's only so many times you can be corrected before you give up? If I'd known that, I could've ended our earlier spats much easier.

@taipres said: other providers on here do accept bitcoin and are doing fine shows how flawed your "I think I know it all" attitude really is

I've said over and over that we're one of the few hosts that are this strict. We choose to take precautions to deal with less headache; other hosts have their own methods with dealing with abusers. Neither way is right or wrong, just our preferences.

However, the fact that you have a hardon for bitcoin, a currency we will not accept, doesn't make my corrections to your assumptions regarding fraud checking any less true.

@taipres said: I could spend hours talking about bitcoin, and the rest but is waste of time

The most accurate thing I've heard from you. Perhaps you should stop being so butthurt when corrected on something, and take the opportunity to learn something new.

Thanked by 1Roph
  • Back on topic. I love it when people fail to distinguish between security/privacy and anonymity, and waste your time with misinformed nonsense. (Not just a shot at @taipres, I had to deal with some Anon kids on a righteous crusade of ticket spamming earlier, trying to convince me that I should allow them to use "their friend's credit cards").

• My residential IP geoips to 'Tokyo City, Tokyo'. Wonder how big that is?

GeoIP is worthless for any 'residential' detection.

• yomeroyomero Member

@Wintereise said: My residential IP geoips to 'Tokyo City, Tokyo'. Wonder how big that is?

GeoIP is worthless for any 'residential' detection.

Wrong thread buddy?

I love it when someone write a comment in the wrong thread.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

I love it when a plan comes together.

John "Hannibal" Smith - The A-Team

Thanked by 2Kuro Mon5t3r
  • karlkarl Member

I love it when @taipres shuts the fuck up

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@karl said: I love it when @taipres shuts the fuck up

Aldryic just has no idea what he's talking about, he probably barely even comprehends what bitcoin is much less how it works. Not to mention the other stuff he's blab'n on about. I've had epic long discussions on other forums about bitcoin and other things with people who actually knew what they were talking about, and as a big bitcoin fan myself I've very knowledgeable about its internals, may even contribute code eventually.. So anyway not interested in doing that all over. Aldryic managed to derail this thread but i'm confident it can be put back on track.

I love it when I can
    last reboot | less
    And not see a bunch of entries :P

• I love it when @taipres cries and cries. Go run to your mommy if you want a tissue. (Protip: tired of being picked on? Stop starting shit)

I love it when I'm asked to investigate a VM that locks shortly after booting, to find :(){ :|:& };: in the init.

• TazTaz Member

@Aldryic lol wat?

• @NinjaHawk - it's a forkbomb. Come to find out, some poor sap's VPS had been compromised, and the attacker added that as part of a bash script to run on startup.

• TazTaz Member

@Aldryic Unmanaged vps for first timer, never is a good idea ;)

Love it when
    Customer signs up for an unmanaged plan and asks to optimize and secure his server.