Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it when... - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Love it when...

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: they don't have Diablo III for linux, League of Legends for linux

Games are far from needs

• @miTgiB said: Games are far from needs

Games are awesome though :)

• @Corey said: Oh and don't get me started on multi monitor support and 3d acceleration on linux.....that's a configuration nightmare.

I never had any problems with either (or both), using Debian and Gentoo.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@taipres said: Games are awesome though :)

They don't pay my bills

• klikliklikli Member
    edited June 2012

-Attempting to hijack this thread:-
    I wasn't able to access your server, I got:

503 Service Unavailable
    No server is available to handle this request.

When browsing with Firefox and the following with cURL:

curl -i www.edis.net
    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 03:55:31 GMT
    Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.13
    Vary: Accept-Encoding,User-Agent
    Content-Length: 271
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (5)

• CoreyCorey Member

@miTgiB said: Games are far from needs

I don't use my desktop environment and think about 'hurm what do I not need'..... I use my desktop environment for entertainment as well and I dare not do without it.

@Aldryic said: I never had any problems with either (or both), using Debian and Gentoo.

I was using ubuntu (pretty close to debian), and an nvidia card. This was about 3 years ago maybe things have changed.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@klikli said: Attempting to hijack this thread

You could have started a new thread, we have this successfully hijacked already tyvm

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: I use my desktop environment for entertainment as well and I dare not do without it.

Let us know when you get serious about being VPS provider then, this is my living, and I don't dick around with games on my work machine.

• CoreyCorey Member

@miTgiB said: Let us know when you get serious about being VPS provider then, this is my living, and I don't dick around with games on my work machine.

I'm sorry not all of us can afford a separate machine for work.

• klikliklikli Member

Oops, correction to cURL:

curl -i www.edis.at
    HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable
    Cache-Control: no-cache
    Connection: close
    Content-Type: text/html

503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: I'm sorry not all of us can afford a separate machine for work.

How much is a basic computer now? It's not much, $300-500 with a nice sized LCD, even less with an A-B KVM switch.

• CoreyCorey Member

@miTgiB

Actually if it's any of your business I do have a desktop in storage right now. I'm living in a camper and there isn't very much room so I'm using a laptop at the eatery. I'm not going to have more than one computer in here when I have my son and girlfriend that need room to live as well.

• @Corey said: I was using ubuntu (pretty close to debian), and an nvidia card.

Ubuntu is to Debian what Paris is to Richard.

@Corey said: I'm sorry not all of us can afford a separate machine for work.

Not all of us utilize our primary machine for playing games. No offense, but work is more important than play to me.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic said: Not all of us utilize our primary machine for playing games. No offense, but work is more important than play to me.

Primary? This is my only machine at this time. If I want to take a day off work you best bet your ass I'm going to play a game and relax. Work more important? Sure.... but am I going to let that get in the way of my casual time? Hell no.

• Well, we all have different choices in priority. Me personally, I spend my downtime with my family. I'll hop back online during the late weekends when the ladies are asleep... but otherwise I take a break from the net.

• CoreyCorey Member

@Aldryic my son will not sit still for the life of him.... the only time we get to spend together is going out to eat, going to grocery store.... etc. (Like I did an hour ago.) Girlfriend is always working, most the time we get to spend together is eating supper and in the bed :).

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Kids typically are a handful, yes. I find it easier to leave the house and bring mine to the park, pool, trail, gym, etc... where she can run wild and we can both burn off some energy together.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Aldryic said: where she can run wild and we can both burn off some energy together.

Pony's got a gun, my, pony's got a gun SHE BETTER RUN

Francisco

• DoznDozn Member

@Corey both of the games you mentioned do work in WINE these days, so you can switch without a worry =b

• KairusKairus Member

@Dozn said: @Corey both of the games you mentioned do work in WINE these days, so you can switch without a worry =b

For what though? I just don't think Linux can compare to Windows as far as a desktop environment goes. I run Fedora on my laptop, but I only use it for browsing, and if I want to use Word I boot up Windows on it. I rarely use it though, as I have a beast desktop :). I like linux, but I'm certainly not a windows hater, it's a great OS, too many people like to hate on it because it's the cool thing to do.

• DoznDozn Member

@Kairus My main used to be Windows 7, but having a tiling window manager (AwesomeWM) alone makes it worth it for me, the amount of space I save is nice... not to mention all the games I play work just fine, and I have a linux command line I can play around with all day, or write scripts to automate daily tasks. Winsxs pissed me off too because I use a 30GB SSD, and if you use Win7 long enough, it will take 25GB+. For the record, I have a i7 920 with 12GB of RAM, and an eVGA 480 superclocked.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@Dozn said: @Kairus My main used to be Windows 7, but having a tiling window manager (AwesomeWM) alone makes it worth it for me, the amount of space I save is nice... not to mention all the games I play work just fine, and I have a linux command line I can play around with all day, or write scripts to automate daily tasks. Winsxs pissed me off too because I use a 30GB SSD, and if you use Win7 long enough, it will take 25GB+. For the record, I have a i7 920 with 12GB of RAM, and an eVGA 480 superclocked.

Kind of an injustice to have a bleeding edge desktop and put linux on it...just saying :P

So GJ going with win7(awesome OS), and nice system BTW.

• @miTgiB said: I run windows 7 at home as there is no good way to play bluray in Linux yet

EXCUSE ME! Linux plays DRM Blu-Rays amazingly well. I have a desktop plugged into my TV with a Blu-Ray drive that runs Ubuntu and has just become a Blu-Ray player.

• @taipres said: Kind of an injustice to have a bleeding edge desktop and put linux on it...just saying :P

No, its doing the hardware a favour.

• @Daniel said: No, its doing the hardware a favour.

Lol nah, linux don't have latest and greatest drivers, and if he's a gamer, and can even he manage to get the game to run on linux, it won't be as good as windows :) linux is great for server stuff though.

• @taipres said: Lol nah, linux don't have latest and greatest drivers, and if he's a gamer, and can even he manage to get the game to run on linux, it won't be as good as windows :) linux is great for server stuff though.

Wine runs quite a number of games better then on Windows. I ran Sins of Solar empire on OS X, then ran it under Windows. Much better performance under Wine, probably because theres not as much crap in the OS.

Linux supports more hardware then Windows, with Windows 8 coming out, this is now the time for Canonical to push Ubuntu into the market.

• DoznDozn Member

@taipres I'm not sure if you read my post, but I already stated that I can run all the games I would play on Windows, on Linux. They run just fine at the same settings. Do you seriously just come in here and try to put people down all the time?

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

Linux for servers, Windows for a desktop (I do run desktop linux on one of my computers though, so I know how it is). I love the Windows hatred though, it's too funny.

• DoznDozn Member

@Daniel I agree, I think this is the perfect time to pounce on the market because of Windows 8... Although the UI still needs to be overhauled (My dad couldn't find where to shut off the screen saver in Unity, for instance)

• @Dozn said: @Daniel I agree, I think this is the perfect time to pounce on the market because of Windows 8... Although the UI still needs to be overhauled (My dad couldn't find where to shut off the screen saver in Unity, for instance)

12.04 is much better.