Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it when... - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Love it when...

Comments

• DoznDozn Member

@taipres Yea, Apple has gained a lot of marketshare, and I'd assume it's because of their school discounts. Nowadays, all the students are using MacOSX.

• Wine runs quite a number of games better then on Windows.

Bahahaha. Linux is worthless for gaming, whether you fanboys accept that or not doesn't matter.

Linux provides me with my livelihood, but you won't see me claiming it to be the latest and greatest in areas where it gets the crap beaten out of it by Windows.

So hurr a durr

And @Yomero, nah, that was to the comments about geoip on page 1, I forgot to see that there were two more pages though :P

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: You should, linux and mac have only like 1-3% of the desktop market I believe.

Let's not forget mobile devices.

@taipres said: Linux is more secure than windows out the gate, for the most part because it's limited by what you can do(tiny posix API vs MASSIVE indepth, amazing windows api)

Wait, what?

@taipres said: also in terms of linux I've read that a linux version of unrealircd sitting on their official servers was apparently backdoored over a year, and no one seemed to even notice

UnrealIRCd != Linux

@Kairus said: I believe they're actually going with some kind of app store in Windows 8, I don't believe it will change user's habits though, and it doesn't matter how secure a system is when the users are dumb, but it certainly is a step in the right direction, especially if we see all the auto updaters from adobe and sun/oracle go away :P.

The problem with an app store for Windows is that pretty much the majority of Windows applications is commercial/paid - which leads to people pirating stuff. In Linux, on the other hand, most of the things in a repository are free (if not all), which makes the barrier to using it much lower.

@Wintereise said: Bahahaha. Linux is worthless for gaming, whether you fanboys accept that or not doesn't matter.

Please grow up.

• DoznDozn Member

@Kairus The statistics you showed, display that Android is beating iOS by a very large margin =b

• @Wintereise said: Linux provides me with my livelihood, but you won't see me claiming it to be the latest and greatest in areas where it gets the crap beaten out of it by Windows.

Linux was owning the netbook market, until Microsoft re-released XP and forced manufacturers to use it.

• KairusKairus Member

@joepie91 said: If you are talking about the average tech-savviness of a Windows user vs. that of a Linux user, sure. However, considering there are a LOT more non-tech-savvy Linux users nowadays (mostly thanks to Ubuntu), that argument doesn't really fly as an explanation for malware anymore.

Considering the amount of just 'stupid' Windows users is probably hundreds of times higher than the total number of linux users I think it does matter.

@joepie91 said: People tend to revert to these kind of responses if they don't have any sensible arguments to claim otherwise.

Considering what he said was essentially a baseless claim, I don't believe it deserved a response, nor do I feel like wasting my time attempting to bring up sources to prove that windows doesn't "have so many security exploits", because it's just a blind claim. Linux is very exploitable if you know what you're doing. See, I can say things too!

@joepie91 said: I assume you manually check what is running on your machine then, inspecting traffic, constantly checking for strange processes or connections, etc.?

I check about once a week what's running yes, I monitor my network usage, I will notice any abnormal usage.

@Kairus said: Considering the amount of just 'stupid' Windows users is probably hundreds of times higher than the total number of linux users I think it does matter.

I think you missed the part where I explained that it is correct as a statistic but invalid as an argument. You know, the entire block of text you responded to. Additionally, try relative numbers instead of absolute numbers.

@Kairus said: Considering what he said was essentially a baseless claim, I don't believe it deserved a response, nor do I feel like wasting my time attempting to bring up sources to prove that windows doesn't "have so many security exploits", because it's just a blind claim.

Then why not just point out it lacked arguments or sources?

@Kairus said: I check about once a week what's running yes, I monitor my network usage, I will notice any abnormal usage.

You seem to be one of the few people claiming 'I never had a virus' that actually do the checks needed to make that claim. +1 on that.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited June 2012

Please grow up.

Right, get back to me with examples of 'gaming' and we'll see.

Wine is worthless, linux driver support for gpus suck and anything new, you shouldn't even think of running on Linux.

So nope, I'm gonna stick to my previous comment of Linux is worthless for gaming.

While valve is trying to do the good thing and trying to craft linux versions of srcds, I don't see it happening with any other publisher with the puny market share linux has.

Sure, if playing 10 year old games is your thing, more power to you. But for people who actually game seriously, Linux is as good as being worthless.

So please, get your facts right before whining.

• KairusKairus Member

@Dozn said: @Kairus The statistics you showed, display that Android is beating iOS by a very large margin =b

Yeah, but what taipres linked shows otherwise, and I'm pretty sure that's tracked by useragent, so I'm not really sure what to think. I do believe that a lot of the alternative browsers under android use a generic UA though, so it's not possible to track. Also what I linked is only in the U.S., and the global market share is much different, symbian still holds a large amount of the market

• @Wintereise said: Wine is worthless, linux driver support for gpus suck and anything new, you shouldn't even think of running on Linux.

Wine is worthless? I think not.

Use the official ATI/nVidia drivers and you won't have any issues, also lets remember Kinect worked on OS X and Linux months before it worked on Windows.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited June 2012

Worthless for gaming, I mean. It's very nice for the casual app and such, but for running newer games, nope, not a chance.

Don't forget the nice attitude Wine devs give you if you ever ask for a game/multimedia app to be added. I remember requesting Share EX2 back in 2007 and was just told,

"This is never going to happen and is not up for discussions"

Okay.png, more power to them.

• ATI drivers have always been buggy on Linux, there are entire threads of people whining about them on reddit/slashdot.

Nvidia on the other hand has the drivers down right (or so I'm told), but since my GPU is an ATI (or should I say, AMD), (7850) that's hardly useful for me.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 said: You seem to be one of the few people claiming 'I never had a virus' that actually do the checks needed to make that claim. +1 on that.

I have had viruses in the past, and a keylogger in one instance (completely my fault - should have asked for the source of the program and compiled it myself), but in the past 4-5 years, my computers have been clean :).

@joepie91 said: I think you missed the part where I explained that it is correct as a statistic but invalid as an argument. You know, the entire block of text you responded to. Additionally, try relative numbers instead of absolute numbers.

I disagree, I think it is accurate as an argument. There are so many more users on Windows that don't practice proper measures to keep their systems up to date and secure, or avoid the viruses and malware. That's going to jack the rate of infection way up, meanwhile an up to date system with virus protection (even free ones) combined with some common sense would avoid being infected. Plus, I'm sure a very large portion of the linux computers out there are used as a server, and never run any desktop applications, so they won't be exploited through the same means that most home users' computers are..

@joepie91 said: Then why not just point out it lacked arguments or sources?

I think the claim that was made was funny, and rather absurd and undeserving of a real response.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres said: Wow! Mac has really gained market share, they had only about 3% for years and years, Microsoft better hope win8 and its crappy metro is a winner.

That's not desktop.

(Just noticed no post has been deleted, I just forgot LET uses pages)

• DoznDozn Member

@Wintereise New titles are also playable using Wine (Witcher 2, for instance, not to mention Diablo 3). You'd be surprised how much WINE has improved in the last couple of years =) Definitely not close to perfect, and while Windows 7 is definitely the "de facto gaming platform", depending on which games you play, it's not a horrific choice in the least... especially if you don't mind paying for CrossOver =b

• Metro will be a winner, not on the market they're trying to push it on though.

I can see it being very useful for tablets, but for desktops, no chance.

edited June 2012

@Wintereise said: So please, get your facts right before whining.

My 'whining' is based on you resorting to basically saying YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, YOU'RE JUST A FANBOY!!1! instead of giving a solid response, it has nothing to do with the actual claim you made, hence me only quoting that part of your post.

@Wintereise said: Wine is worthless

False, I run several programs using WINE with perfect stability; in fact, WinMX is a good example of an application that is more stable under WINE than on Windows. I also play several (older) games through WINE without any issues, and I know several people that play much newer games under WINE with success - they don't even have Windows. And then I haven't even started about the companies that realized that WINE had gotten pretty damn good in the past while, and basically published a 'Linux version' of their software, which was actually just a Windows version running through a WINE version that is packaged with the application. TeamViewer, for example.

@Wintereise said: linux driver support for gpus suck

The open-source drivers? Sure, plenty of issues. The proprietary drivers for Linux? The only issue with those drivers I am aware of is that the AMD drivers tend to break across versions, which is pretty easily fixed by either upgrading or downgrading the version of the drivers; something that is just as easy as installing a package on most distributions that are in use today. Another thing to think about: why do you think a lot of large Bitcoin GPU mining rigs run Linux with proprietary GPU drivers? Because the 'Linux driver support for GPUs sucks'?

@Wintereise said: anything new, you shouldn't even think of running on Linux.

Anything new, like what? I've seen plenty of people run very new games, and I know for a fact that newer GPUs work just fine with proprietary drivers - so what exactly is the 'new' stuff that you are refering to?

@Kairus said: I disagree, I think it is accurate as an argument. There are so many more users on Windows that don't practice proper measures to keep their systems up to date and secure, or avoid the viruses and malware. That's going to jack the rate of infection way up, meanwhile an up to date system with virus protection (even free ones) combined with some common sense would avoid being infected.

That is however countered by the experience that the exact same users install loads of rubbish on their Windows machines, but have no such issues on Linux.

@Kairus said: I think the claim that was made was funny, and rather absurd and deserving of a real response.

Then you can't really complain if someone points it out.

• DoznDozn Member

@Daniel What would we call the new thread? "Have a discussion about anything" lol...

• Too cheap to afford crossover, @Dozn :(

I have a free copy of Win7 ultimate, so works out being cheaper that way :P

My last experience with Wine in 2010 was pretty terrible gaming wise. Pretty much the src games from valve were the only ones to run perfectly.

Locale support is still hit or miss (There are scripts you can use to clarify this though), so with the amount of jrpgs I play (that even check for emulation, go figure -_-), wine isn't anywhere close to being an option.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Linux (or Wine) hater, I mentioned that my livelihood depends on Linux. But, there are areas where it has to improve lots before being considered in the same scale as windows.

• KairusKairus Member

@Dozn said: @Daniel What would we call the new thread? "Have a discussion about anything" lol...

"Love it when....LET threads get sidetracked"

• @Wintereise said: (that even check for emulation, go figure -_-

Wine Is Not an Emulator

• DoznDozn Member

@Wintereise Agreed with everything, although these days source games have issues, while compatibility for everything else has skyrocketed (I don't know how long it's been around, but they now convert DirectX calls to OpenGL, still blows my mind every time I think about it)

@Wintereise said: My last experience with Wine in 2010 was pretty terrible gaming wise. Pretty much the src games from valve were the only ones to run perfectly.

WINE has seriously evolved since then. Two years ago I wouldn't have said it 'worked well', now I would.

• @joepie91 If you didn't notice, that response wasn't geared towards anybody in particular. You were the one who chose to interpret it as such, I had no part in it.

Back to the discussion at hand, none of the krpgs/jrpgs I play will run on Wine, I know this for a fact.

Western games wise, as mentioned before, pretty much nothing I tried worked save for the source games from Valve.

I don't know how the situation is with normal wine now (and I won't pay for Crossever, it basically costs the same as Windows 7), but if it's anything like how it was in early 2011, it's still shit.

• @Wintereise said: Western games wise, as mentioned before, pretty much nothing I tried worked save for the source games from Valve.

Source is coming out for Linux, since its come to OS X it was only a matter of time till they ported it to Linux (they use similar GL APIs)

@Wintereise said: @joepie91 If you didn't notice, that response wasn't geared towards anybody in particular. You were the one who chose to interpret it as such, I had no part in it.

Huh?

• DoznDozn Member

@Wintereise said: but if it's anything like how it was in early 2011, it's still shit.

It has improve a lot since then ^^ They have ~40 patches per week, and the release before this latest one had 300+ 0_o

• DoznDozn Member

To be honest, WINE being shit was the only reason I couldn't fully switch over in the past... but now I've finally been able to get rid of Win7 completely =)

• I know, kudos to Valve for that. If only that happened with every major publisher though.

Thing is, publishers look at market share. It simply isn't worth it with the amount of 'gamers' running Linux at the moment.

I know most Linux fans who do some gaming also usually have windows as an option (Dual booting, etc)

I'm a fan of free stuff as much as the next guy, but the problems start when that free stuff falls short, way short of the usual standard :P

Though, as I'm told, this is apparently changing, so kudos to the Wine team for that.

Maybe I'll take it for a spin again soon.

Also @joepie91 No personal offense or harm meant, just a heated debate, is all :P

• DoznDozn Member

Going back to the topic before this one, Linux is gaining quite a bit of marketshare from third-world countries as well, I honestly believe the OS battle will be between MacOSX and Linux in the next 20 years.