Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love it when... - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Love it when...

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

Love it when some Chinese Guy tries to brute force my servers.

• @NinjaHawk said: Customer signs up for an unmanaged plan and asks to optimize and secure his server.

Haha, we had one of those today. I had to refund a KVM purchase after "you mean this doesn't come preinstalled with an RO server?" XD

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: Love it when

Customer signs up for an unmanaged plan and asks to optimize and secure his server.

If you wrote up a script to help secure VPS's on request, along with a HTML explaining each thing it did that's be really neat. Could be push button solution, obviously it's asking more of you but if you wrote it once and got it working then it would add more value to your company and personally I think that'd be awesome TBH. Also could save you headaches/additional tickets down the road if a user gets hacked because their VPS was insecure and they don't know what to do.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited June 2012

@Aldryic Any difference in service between BuyVM and Frantech? (Besides it being vmware)

• @AsadHaider said: @Aldryic Any difference in service between BuyVM and Frantech?

Frantech plans are officially discontinued now, and Frantech remains solely as a 'parent' company, as it were. But when we had plans from both sides running (this is before we had KVM), the only difference in the two is that Frantech plans were 'semi-managed', where BuyVM was completely unmanaged. Other than that, they were the exact same specs on the same hardware, BuyVM was just lower priced.

Frantech's original market was online gaming (mainly MMOs; Ragnarok, Runescape, MapleStory, Habbo, etc)... so the average client of that market needed a little assistance getting things up and running.

• AsadAsad Member

@Aldryic Ah ok, thanks :)

• TazTaz Member

@taipres security is not an one click installation for life setup. Everything differs by vps users and their use of the vps. What is good for a blog is crap for a gamebox and what is good for gamebox us too tight for regular web servers.
    @Aldryic For 5$ they want 48/14 phone support.
    Nothing new.

Thanked by 1Aldryic
  • @NinjaHawk said: @taipres security is not an one click installation for life setup. Everything differs by vps users and their use of the vps. What is good for a blog is crap for a gamebox and what is good for gamebox us too tight for regular web servers.

I'm not saying for life but you can indeed make a one click solution that helps secure VPS's on many fronts. If you sell different focus VPS's like general VS gaming then you make different ones for each. Ideally a mini control panel type setup where users can click on or off what they want would be best, but isn't absolutely necessary. And since you were referring to newbie users they probably wouldn't care anyway, would just want it more secure than how it comes. It just an idea bud, I know if I saw a provider offering something like that, it'd definitely get my attention.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

@taipres then why not download csf and leave it on default? Security by obscurity is not an option.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

@NinjaHawk said: @taipres then why not download cfs and leave it on default? Security by obscurity is not an option.

Who said anything about obscurity? I'm not saying hide the things your script would secure, in fact I said the opposite, outline it so it's known! Anyway you don't seem to be into the idea which is fine, maybe some other provider will embrace it. Or maybe TaiVPS will just have to!! Haha just kidding.

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

A vps is as secure as the user is. Firewall is not the only security setup. Add regular update, patching, sudden hickups etc on top of that. For LET price, this is not an option nor worth the pain. Well we all have different views.

Too much off topic posts. Argh Google ain't gonna like us :P Why for apparently no reason my font got bigger?

• TazTaz Member

Wow adding 3 dash makes text bigger?

• @NinjaHawk said: Wow adding 3 dash makes text bigger?

Apparently :P vanilla forums is a tricky one. In terms of the topic

I love it when I type
    w
    and don't see someone else chill'n on my box :p

• I love it when i see

uptime
     04:13:12 up 106 days, 14:34,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

On my Hostigation Backup VPS

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@joodle said: On my Hostigation Backup VPS

Well, that will be reset over the weekend sometime, then you'll see

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz

instead of

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz

While I temp move everyone to put a raid card and fix the loads on that box, then open signups for backup vps again.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I love it when I'm already seeing that:

09:54:21 up 17:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    model name      :        Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
  • karlkarl Member

@miTgiB
    More backups vps stock yay

• DamianDamian Member

@Corey said: so the lifted floor was exposed there?

No, this is a "rows" facility

• CoreyCorey Member

I love it when 'Marwanz NoobsBro' pays with a paypal account that isn't his and I ask for proof of identity and he creates a hotmail account in that persons name to ask me to set it up and then threatens to do a chargeback when I already refunded his payment.

• I just love it when you go to turn your computer on and Windows decides not to boot...

• I love it when a provider charges ridiculous overages on bandwidth and cant or wont show any proof as to why you owe the overages because they claim it was due to a dos attack and doesnt show on your usage!?!?

• CoreyCorey Member

I love it when a provider tells you that you can have something at a certain price but then almost a year down the road starts charging $1 each for 1000 of that item.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Corey said: I love it when a provider tells you that you can have something at a certain price but then almost a year down the road starts charging $1 each for 1000 of that item.

IP's are a pain in the ass bro

Fran

Thanked by 1Corey
  • @ Corey

I know right.. Especially when that provider also tripples all other cost you have as well?

Eh.. It happens.

Thanked by 1Corey
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@TheHackBox said: Windows

There's your problem.

• @joepie91 said: There's your problem.

Haha, you're funny.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

I hate windows but I have no choice for some things (don't preach wine to me it sucks for 3d shit)

Just be glad we're not all running vista still.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Corey said: I hate windows but I have no choice for some things (don't preach wine to me it sucks for 3d shit)

wine is as big a pile of crap as windows, if there isn't already an alternative for Linux, you aren't looking hard enough

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited June 2012

@Jack said: what OS do you run on your PC @miTgiB

I run windows 7 at home as there is no good way to play bluray in Linux yet and all my systems are part of my media network, at work I currently run Crapuntu, but I change out about every 6 months or so, I have a Fedora 16 KVM desktop that I am starting to like.

It has probably been well over a year since I last looked at what was going on with bluray playback in Linux, so things might be different today

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB they don't have Diablo III for linux, League of Legends for linux...

if there isn't already an alternative for Linux

Alternatives for linux are just that... alternatives... most of them are half baked alternatives. Don't get me wrong I love linux... and I've used it as a desktop environment before... but some of the software I require isn't on linux and I don't like the alternatives.

Oh and don't get me started on multi monitor support and 3d acceleration on linux.....that's a configuration nightmare.