Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you kidding me - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you kidding me

Comments

• DanielMDanielM Member

not rocket science is it. All you need to do is a simple whois and whois/host history.

• quirkyquarkquirkyquark Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM said: not rocket science is it.

not accessible from anywhere, is it?

firstnetserv.co.uk has address 10.4.183.22

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@quirkyquark said: not accessible from anywhere, is it?

Not at the moment no, Doing some server/site work... But this is nothing to do with FNS,

• @DanielM, why do you ban the US? When running a business, you should be making decisions based on what's best for your business. The USA is a thriving, large economy and is not on any sanction list. While you may have some personal opinions about the US, I fail to see how, as a provider, this is a good business decision? Care to explain? You of course don't have to, I'm just curious, that's all :)

Note: I'm from the UK, and a UK-born citizen

• I think its the fact that if you provide services to US citizens, you basically give the US government permission to extradite you back to the US on any reason they can come up with.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM

You really do hate the USA don't you :)

• @Daniel said: I think its the fact that if you provide services to US citizens, you basically give the US government permission to extradite you back to the US on any reason they can come up with.

I fail to see how this is an issue when running a VPS host. Under laws in most countries, the service provider is not responsible for what the customer does, as long as the provider makes every effort to halt any illegal activity once notified.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@Jonny_Evorack said: I fail to see how this is an issue when running a VPS host. Under laws in most countries, the service provider is not responsible for what the customer does, as long as the provider makes every effort to halt any illegal activity once notified.

I don't know, I was only stating what he his reason could be. A few UK citizens don't like the extradition process between the UK to USA and how our government sucks up to the USA.

A UK citizen is being extradited for hosting links, despite that none of his data was in the US and all within the UK, and he never broke a single UK law. But apparently he broke a US law since his domain went through Verisign.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • edited May 2012

@Daniel said: A UK citizen is being extradited for hosting links, despite that none of his data was in the US and all within the UK, and he never broke a single UK law. But apparently he broke a US law since his domain went through Verisign.

Yes I'm aware of this case. While I am going to make no comment on the validity of the US's claims of jurisdiction, this person did run an illegal website. He did break UK law. It is illegal to run a site which links to knowingly infringing content. This has been affirmed by the UK Court's ruling on blocking the Pirate Bay for BT, Virgin, etc..

In this case, the key element is that the person being extradited was the person who actually ran the website; not the host running it. As long as the host has taken the website offline, then they are in the clear. (Ref: US DMCA and EU E-Commerce Directive)

edited May 2012

@Jonny_Evorack said: Yes I'm aware of this case. While I am going to make no comment on the validity of the US's claims of jurisdiction, this person did run an illegal website. He did break UK law

No, he did not break any UK laws, he wasn't being prosecuted in the UK for anything.

There was a change in the law, but his actions were years before this.

• edited May 2012

@Daniel said: No, he did not break any UK laws, he wasn't being prosecuted in the UK for anything.

Yes he did. Just because he wasn't being prosecuted in the UK doesn't mean he wasn't breaking UK law.

• @Jonny_Evorack said: Yes he did. Just because he wasn't being prosecuted in the UK doesn't mean he wasn't breaking UK law.

It was stated by the court that he didn't break any UK laws, but broke a US laws, despite the fact he never been to the US nor used any hosted any data in the US.

• nabonabo Member

@Daniel said: The host believed he was from Iran, so obviously they had to suspend his VPS.

Quite right: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2012:088:0001:0112:EN:PDF

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited May 2012

@DanielM said: Plus i aint a fan of america ether. Its pure evil and a imperialist nation

Ins't united states one of the few countries which hasn't taken over another country ... to rule?

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: US law since his domain went through Verisign.

Verisign is a company based out of the USA. The USA government has the right to lawfully get involved with Verisign and its customers without the consent of other governments.

Like I said before ... guys calm down. Lets wait for the ticket to be posted.

• WilliamWilliam Member

We do not accept Iranians either for legal reasons, nothing against them personally (or company wise) but we have our laws....

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @William said: We do not accept Iranians either for legal reasons, nothing against them personally (or company wise) but we have our laws....

Its rare to get Iranian visitors anyway now, their country has its own intranet.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @DanielM I find it very weird that you would block US visitors as you can still get sent to the US for breaking US law... even if it is legal in the UK. cough TVLinks cough

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@William said: We do not accept Iranians either for legal reasons, nothing against them personally (or company wise) but we have our laws....

But this is not the case of an Iranian, this man is a US Citizen

• Oops... it's TVShack not TVLinks... sorry it's early here :)

edited May 2012

@TheHackBox said: Oops... it's TVShack not TVLinks... sorry it's early here :)

I got confused too.

@miTgiB said: But this is not the case of an Iranian, this man is a US Citizen

You have a customer and find evidence he could be from Iran. Do you risk it and allow him to be your customer but has the possible chance of getting shut down big time, or suspend the customer until you know?

The company was trying to protect their ass.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Daniel said: Do you risk it and allow him to be your customer but has the possible chance of getting shut down big time, or suspend the customer until you know?

I use common sense, did the customer connect from a US residential IP? Did they give a US address? If yes, I have no reason to suspend.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@William said: We do not accept Iranians either for legal reasons, nothing against them personally (or company wise) but we have our laws....

You use unspecified misterious Austrian laws excuse too often :) But sometimes it would be good if you would actually know them :) Anyway, EU reduced dealings with Iran only on few areas (oil, energy sector and limited dealings with cental Iran bank) and you can find in your local store products from Iran easily (check next time details on "Kotányi Estragon gerebelt 100ml Glas" -> austrian packet -> I have one :P).

• @nabo: linking a 112 page document doesn't do your argument any good. Care to point out what Page/paragraph/clause in there prohibits providing Internet services to individual Iranians, or find transfers from individuals for such services, etc?

@daniel: sorry, but your relative technical immaturity shows in light of @mitgib's excellent solution. To those I would also add the Paypal account status - if it says US-verified, you're good to go.

Sometimes I think the poor folks who have to bear with this just because of their names/(last|sur)names may pragmatically be better off just legally changing their names (TSA, etc. ) :(

• @miTgiB said: I use common sense, did the customer connect from a US residential IP? Did they give a US address? If yes, I have no reason to suspend.

I guess your right, but I wouldn't hate the host over it. Would just email them and sort it.

• AldryicAldryic Member

I find absolutely no reason to deny services to an individual based on the bullshit slapfights between government powers. That's one game we'll do our best to avoid.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@VMPort said: You really do hate the USA don't you :)

I made it clear, I do not like the american regime, there is nothing up with americans themselfs

• DanielMDanielM Member

@BassHost said: Ins't united states one of the few countries which hasn't taken over another country ... to rule?

Iraq? Afghanistan to name a few....

• DanielMDanielM Member

@BassHost said: Verisign is a company based out of the USA. The USA government has the right to lawfully get involved with Verisign and its customers without the consent of other governments.

Corrupt governments siding with big corporations which are for profit.. Just shows what a corrupt country the united states is. One only needs to look at some of the laws being put through. CISPA/SOPA/Patriot act etc these are clearly for corporations not the american people