Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you kidding me - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you kidding me

Comments

• taiprestaipres Member

@raindog308 said:and U.S. nationals (anyone on U.S. soil and/or a U.S. citizen) cannot be "taken" to Guantanamo.

Unfortunately yes they can (here's that change you can believe in :(...http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/ViewNews/Obama_Signs_into_Law_Indefinite_Detention_of_Americans_without_Trial_120103

In terms of your war comment, it depends on what you consider a victory, are all those lives lost worth whatever?

@Daniel and what are most tlds? .com and .net, anyway if the US were to shut down their entire presence online it'd cripple the internet for just about the whole world, in terms of the technology lost and because like I said not only are most of the worlds sites hosted here but a lot of traffic runs through here to others via intercontinental links. I'm not saying cripple in terms of countries wouldn't be able to get online period but the inet wouldn't be the same. And skype is a Microsoft product now and none of the other sites you listed compared to all the top US sites in traffic except maybe baidu.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: @Daniel and what are most tlds? .com and .net, anyway if the US were to shut down their entire presence online it'd cripple the internet for just about the whole world,

No, the internet was made so if one part goes down the rest stays up. It was made that way so during the Cold War if a bomb knocked out one point, the rest would stay up.

If the US disconnects from the internet, the internet would still stay up, and things would simply reroute, although all US hosted data would be offline.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

US > All

• taiprestaipres Member

@Daniel said: No, the internet was made so if one part goes down the rest stays up. It was made that way so during the Cold War if a bomb knocked out one point, the rest would stay up.

@taipres said: I'm not saying cripple in terms of countries wouldn't be able to get online period but the inet wouldn't be the same.

edited May 2012

@taipres said: @taipres said: I'm not saying cripple in terms of countries wouldn't be able to get online period but the inet wouldn't be the same.

Why would you say a statement, then say another statement that contradicts your first statement?

Facebook would still be online, Google would still be online even if the US disconnected.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Facebook would still be online, Google would still be online even if the US disconnected.

NO they wouldn't...they are US companies therefore they answer to the US. It doesn't matter if they setup shop overseas, like Yahoo japan, if US says shut-it-down, they're going to do what they're told.

• @taipres said: NO they wouldn't...they are US companies therefore they answer to the US.

Facebook has servers in greenland (or Iceland, I can't remember), if their US servers were disconnected, those would still be disconnected.

Google has local subsidies, including many in the EU. If Google.com were shut down, Google.co.uk etc would still stay up.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Facebook has servers in greenland (or Iceland, I can't remember), if their US servers were disconnected, those would still be disconnected.

Google has local subsidies, including many in the EU. If Google.com were shut down, Google.co.uk etc would still stay up.

It does-not-matter they would be shutdown.

• @taipres said: It does-not-matter they would be shutdown.

Why? Just because the US says Google can't operate in the US, does not mean Google can not operate in other countries.

• taiprestaipres Member

@Daniel said: Why? Just because the US says Google can't operate in the US, does not mean Google can not operate in other countries.

I think you're misunderstanding, Google is a US company so it doesn't matter if they have servers and locations all around the world. If the US gov told them to shut down everywhere they'd have to listen.

edited May 2012

@taipres said: I think you're misunderstanding, Google is a US company so it doesn't matter if they have servers and locations all around the world. If the US gov told them to shut down everywhere they'd have to listen.

GoogleUK could become a completely separate entity.

edited May 2012

@taipres said: I think you're misunderstanding, Google is a US company so it doesn't matter if they have servers and locations all around the world. If the US gov told them to shut down everywhere they'd have to listen.

The internet isn't as easy to take down as you think, its geographically distributed for a reason.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@taipres said: If the US gov told them to shut down everywhere they'd have to listen.

[CITATION NEEDED]

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • taiprestaipres Member

@Daniel said: The internet isn't as easy to take down as you think, its geographically distributed for a reason.

You're still missing the point, I'm not saying the US could shutdown the entire internet if they wanted, i'm saying if all US companies were to get offline the internet for most the world would be crippled to a point of being near useless(in terms of what makes it up). Because most the worlds top sites and companies that run these sites are US based and ultimately have to follow what the US gov tells them. Companies could move their companies overseas if the gov let them, but if the gov where telling US companies to get offline to begin with you have to imagine things would be pretty bad...thankfully congress shot down the president "internet kill switch" for the US.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@taipres said: i'm saying if all US companies were to get offline the internet for most the world would be crippled to a point of being near useless(in terms of what makes it up)

...you've never left the US, have you? Are you one of those types that thinks all of Viet Nam is mud huts, and that only three cities in China have electricity?

• @Aldryic said: ...you've never left the US, have you? Are you one of those types that thinks all of Viet Nam is mud huts, and that only three cities in China have electricity?

The UK still uses steam engines and horse and carts.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Daniel said: The UK still uses steam engines and horse and carts.

We all still wear fuzzy hats and drink vo.... wait <_<

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • taiprestaipres Member

@Aldryic said: ..you've never left the US, have you? Are you one of those types that thinks all of Viet Nam is mud huts, and that only three cities in China have electricity?

First you whine about the topic shifting in this thread now you're making non-sense noise.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@taipres said: First you whine about the topic shifting in this thread now you're making non-sense noise.

Pointing out the fact that your only knowledge of other countries is based on what you've been spoon-fed from mass media? Seems pretty on-topic to me, perhaps you should actually do some research before pretending to know what you're talking about. The US is not the majority of the net, despite your poor assumptions.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: Pointing out the fact that your only knowledge of other countries is based on what you've been spoon-fed from mass media? Seems pretty on-topic to me, perhaps you should actually do some research before pretending to know what you're talking about. The US is not the majority of the net, despite your poor assumptions.

You're seriously just trolling, I never use that word because I can't stand it but it's merited in this case. The US DOES make up most the internet, its companies, websites, servers, not people obviously because it doesn't have as many people as some countries

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/global Wow

Where are almost all of those sites owned by or from? US. so grow up and get a clue.

• @taipres said: Wow where are almost all of those sites owned by or from? US. so grow up and get a clue.

Actually, quite a few are chinese.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Actually, quite a few are chinese.

no only a few are chinese, not quite a few. And why are they on that list? Do you search baidu? No, only Chinese maybe Japanese people do, because they can read kanji. So Chinese websites benefit pretty much only China, and the reason they're popular is because China has a lot of freaking people. US sites are visited by international users including chinese users because english is the world language.

• @taipres said: no only a few are chinese, not quite a few. And why are they on that list? Do you search baidu? No, only chinese people do, because they can read kanji. So Chinese websites benefit pretty much only China, and the reason they're popular is because China has a lot of freaking people. US sites are visited by international users including chinese users because english is the world language.

I don't search Baidu no, but even though their only visited by Chinese people, them sites are still extremely popular if you consider how many users visit them.

English is the world language? Thats a very small view of the world.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@taipres said: The US DOES make up most the internet, its companies, websites, servers, not people obviously because it doesn't have as many people as some countries

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/global Wow

Where are almost all of those sites owned by or from? US. so grow up and get a clue.

And you're the one positing that the internet would be 'crippled' without the US? Hardly. There are thousands upon thousands of sites that you've never heard of, and likely never will, primarily because you 1) probably only speak English, and 2) aren't even aware of Unicode domains.

Here's an example for you, just so you can keep up. Let's say that your little delusion about the government being able to shut down a country is true (and if you honestly believe that, you really are a fool). Let's say that they force Facebook to shut down.. even if a global replacement doesn't step up to replace them, individual countries would quickly have local variants, if they don't already.

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Daniel said: English is the world language? Thats a very small view of the world.

It's a popular concept for folks that have no actual experience outside their own nation, sadly. Even worse when said individual makes all of their assumptions based on media fed to them by their own country.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • taiprestaipres Member

@Aldryic said: It's a popular concept for folks that have no actual experience outside their own nation, sadly. Even worse when said individual makes all of their assumptions based on media fed to them by their own country.

Sigh, do you ever not spout non-sense? English IS the world language, there's very few places in this world where you can't find someone who speaks english. But that's not true for ANY other language, not spanish, not a dialect of Chinese, not german, not french, etc...

• @taipres said: Sigh, do you ever not spout non-sense? English IS the world language, there's very few places in this world where you can't find someone who speaks english. But that's not true for ANY other language, not spanish, not a dialect of Chinese, not german, not french, etc...

Its surprising you don't call the English language American, considering your small view of the world.

• taiprestaipres Member

@Daniel said: Its surprising you don't call the English language American, considering your small view of the world.

It's not my fault you have no clue and didn't know English was the world language.

• AldryicAldryic Member

I love how he just shoves that foot deeper and deeper. Gonna take you weeks to get the taste out, mec, and even then I doubt anyone here will ever take you seriously.

edited May 2012

@taipres said: It's not my fault you have no clue and didn't know English was the world language.

How many things are wrong with that statement. I know English is one of the possible "world languages", I wouldn't call it the world language, although with the rise of computers which are programmed in English as assembly level it could possibly one day, but who's to say Manderin doesn't get there first.

Sure not many people speak Mandarin outside China, but its still a lot of people.