Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you kidding me - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are you kidding me

Comments

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: The internet has no central source, the US government seem to want to regulate the entire internet but they can't and never will since its impossible to regulate, do I care that they are trying? No.

The US has more servers hands down, and they have more control over the internet than you can imagine. First off they created it(DARPA) and they control Verisign which controls the DNS system. There are only 13 root servers and most/all of those are in the US, and they just pass on copies of DNS records, notice the word copies. The server that has the real data is hidden and is again is controlled by Verisign. If you recognize that name it's because they're the authority on SSL certificates as well. ICANN is also US based. I read an article years ago that said 50% of the worlds internet goes through Virginia in the US, i'm not sure if that's true but that's a great deal. Majority of the top websites are also US based companies, think Facebook, Google, youtube, wikipedia, yahoo, etc...yeah they have international presence of course but at the end of the day US companies follow US gov rules.

Anyway I hope US doesn't abuse the power they have as they could lose it, but I think the fact that anytime the US gov or a big US enity(RIAA/MPAA) has pressured a country they've almost always folded like a lawn chair so don't underestimate the only worlds super power.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@BassHost i think no need for screens as the problem has been solved already. the provider made up to him by giving 6 mos service =)

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: they have more control over the internet than you can imagine.

I wouldn't agree with that at all. Great Britain invented the train, but does it have control over all train networks in the world? No.

@taipres said: First off they created it(DARPA) and they control Verisign which controls the DNS system.

Verisign only controls .com, .net etc, if you switch to a .co.uk then you are using Nominet which the US has no jurisdiction over.

@taipres said: think Facebook, Google, youtube, wikipedia, yahoo, etc

BBC, Skype, Baidu and plenty more.

@taipres said: so don't underestimate the only worlds super power.

Why do you think the EU was setup, to stop the US being the only current super power, also China is huge now.

@taipres said: There are only 13 root servers and most/all of those are in the US

http://kim.id.au/ja/root-servers.png

You can't control the internet because there is no central point, you can control individual computers but not the entire internet.

I dont hate Americans, and I don't agree with @DanielM, but your opinion that I should just follow US law because of that and this is stupid.

• @Daniel said: So I take a picture of my mum driving her car and post it on a Saudi Arabia forum, does that mean she can be extradited?

Yes, they could. If our (westerners') authorities would extradite ANYONE to them, that is.

@DimeCadmium said: Now go back and read where I said I don't agree with it, but it's the way it unfortunately is. I won't say again because you clearly didn't read the first two times.

Let's try a third time shall we?

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Skype

Wait, I thought Microsoft was an American company! Damn, what a fool I am.

(I've never even heard of Baidu, BBC is much smaller than any of the ones you were replying to, and Skype is US. You failed sir :))

• @DimeCadmium said: Wait, I thought Microsoft was an American company! Damn, what a fool I am.

Skype was in Luxembourg, and still is.

edited May 2012

@Daniel said: Skype was in Luxembourg, and still is.

Nope. Skype is owned by an American corporation, thus US laws apply. Unless MS moved to Luxembourg? I'm surprised they were able to keep it so hush-hush! I hadn't heard that!

edited May 2012

And oh, by the way,

Trains: mostly-national, somewhat international but certainly not on a large scale
    Internet: completely international, in no way is it at all a national thing other than the parts inside their nation (be they transit, client, or server)

Second time in this thread, apples and oranges don't compare well.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

@DimeCadmium said: completely international,

Nope, not really anymore. Some countries are completely cut off from the rest of the net.

But yes I massively under read your post, but I don't agree with you that someone should be extradited to a country when they didn't commit a crime there.

• @Daniel said: Some countries are completely cut off from the rest of the net.

Like which? Not to mention that's 100% irrelevant to my point, which was that Internet is far more global than train systems ever were, are, or will be.

READ my posts, THEN try to refute them. You'll look much less idiotic that way.

edited May 2012

@Daniel said: I don't agree with you that someone should be extradited to a country when they didn't commit a crime there.

...When did I say I agreed with it? I've said I think this is the FOURTH time that I DO NOT agree with it. I'm just telling you it's the way it is, and blocking a few people from the US is not going to help. Oh, and telling you how they justified it.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited May 2012

Being completely cut off means they're not connected to the Internet anymore, but to an Intranet on a national level.

Think before you speak, or in this case, write.

• @DimeCadmium said: ...When did I say I agreed with it? I've said I think this is the FOURTH time that I DO NOT agree with it.

Then why do you agree that they were committed on US soil when he's never been there or hosted any data there?

@DimeCadmium said: I agree. But they WERE committed on US "soil", or at least they're arguing that, because in most cases they in some way "touched" the US (be it by servers, clients, whatever).

edited May 2012

@DimeCadmium said: or at least they're arguing that

@DimeCadmium also said: Oh, and telling you how they justified it.

I don't agree they were committed on US soil, and I never said so, I specifically stated "I agree" that it's wrong but "they're arguing" based on this.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

It saddens me that I actually took the time to read all of the new commentary since yesterday afternoon, only to find that I could've pretty much skipped it all. Enough with the pocket PS folks, your speculations on how governmental power functions does nothing but stir up arguments, and contributes nothing useful overall.

Although I do have one comment that really needs to be made..

@DanielM said: I am fed up with you americans calling out these countries.

Pot calling the kettle black, much? You can't make it more than a couple of days without reminding all of us about how evil the US is, and how you go to lengths to block US visitors.

%#{'hypocrite'}++; (what's that pool up to now, @taipres?)

Thanked by 2jar TheHackBox
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Can't we all just hate everyone equally?

• DanielMDanielM Member

@Aldryic said: Pot calling the kettle black

I thought you was russian? why you defending america?

• AldryicAldryic Member

@DanielM said: I thought you was russian? why you defending america?

I'm not defending anyone. I'm just sick of all the political noise, and offensively pointed out your blatant double standard.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • SpiritSpirit Member

@bijan588 said: he apologized and credited me a free 6 months of hosting on my 2gb plan.

I bet you linked him this thread, hehe :)

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

My days, the patriotism in this thread has gone too far.

C'mon guys, I'll make everyone a brew, we'll dunk some hobnobs then get some hotpot for afters.

• @ElliotJ said: My days, the patriotism in this thread has gone too far.

Yeh, my political views are far different from others, but I wouldn't go ahead and hate an entire nation.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@Daniel said: Yeh, my political views are far different from others, but I wouldn't go ahead and hate an entire nation.

Precisely, nor would I command everyone to stand to sing 'Land Of Hope and Glory' repeatedly, although that would be amusing.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@taipres said: No one really wins in war.

Tell that to the Carthiginians. Seems to me like the Romans "really won" in that war in every possible way.

There are at least 10,000 other examples from history. Wars often solve problems.

@taipres said: Americans have had many rights stripped (patriot act, ability to take to you to Guantanamo bay, with no due process, no trial and can be held indefinitely)

The PATRIOT act is a shadow of what the Brits have (which is one of several things that makes @DanielM so hilarious) and U.S. nationals (anyone on U.S. soil and/or a U.S. citizen) cannot be "taken" to Guantanamo.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@Daniel said: but I wouldn't go ahead and hate an entire nation

This is were people are mistaken and the way i may have said it. I do not hate americans. Just the american government(S). its so corrupt and americans should do something about this. Yet what do they do? vote a multi-million dollar evil man (Mitt romney)

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited May 2012

@raindog308 said: (which is one of several things that makes @DanielM so hilarious)

What bill would that be? And worse bills are trying to get through in USA. I meen for example obama recently passed indefinite detention, what happened to the us constitution?

@DimeCadmium said: I've never even heard of Baidu

I'd never heard of them either, until I looked at my web server logs one day and found that their spiders crawled my sites multiple times a week.

@DanielM said: What bill would that be? And worse bills are trying to get through in USA. I meen for example obama recently passed indefinite detention, what happened to the us constitution?

Wait a sec, let me tap into one of the British cameras recording you right now...

• DanielMDanielM Member

@raindog308 said: Wait a sec, let me tap into one of the British cameras recording you right now...

No camera's are recording me except my own (To prevent thiefs) had to get them fitted. had 6 break in attempts last year.

• @DanielM said: No camera's are recording me except my own (To prevent thiefs) had to get them fitted. had 6 break in attempts last year.

You do realise the UK has the biggest surveillance operation of any country? Its creepy.

• DanielMDanielM Member

@Daniel said: You do realise the UK has the biggest surveillance operation of any country? Its creepy.

Yes i totally agree. But its still better than what they have in the US.