Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OVH are pretty good with their billing IMO, they'll only cut you if you don't settle by the due date, and if you're late they just power off the server, you get a couple if weeks to pay up before they wipe it.

• nimdynimdy Member

That's fine with me. I'm an honest person, I am not expecting them to provide me with a service if I stop paying for it! I was just wondering if you pick 1 month, you only get one month then have to go through the ordering process again and pay for setup.

What do people use their Kimsufi servers for? The website suggests they are ideal for dev/hobby/students.

• wychwych Member

@nimdy said:
    What do people use their Kimsufi servers for? The website suggests they are ideal for dev/hobby/students.

What don't they?

Biggest limit I faced was the limited IPv4; seen some running backups, some plex, some gameservers...

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

kyaky said: is Atom™ N2800 capable for Windows Server 2008 64 bit?

it is. but no longer an option on the installer it would seem (i know this because my N2800 previously had Windows Server 2008 R2 WEB

• kyakykyaky Member

@nimdy said:
    Another question for you all - the order page says 1/3/6/12 month when ordering. If I choose 1 month will the billing roll over after the first month? I don't want to pay for too many months up front as I may not get the hang of dedi servers (its a hobby project rather than anything permanent), but at the same time if I do get used to dedi server management I don't want them to cut me off after the first month!

Thanks. I just placed an offer and submitted my ID card. hope it has no problem to remove VAT before payment

• kyakykyaky Member

@TarZZ92 said:

thats too bad. I thought it could be used as an Active Directory server.

• taronyutaronyu Member

With these prices it is really tempting to just pull the plugs on many of my vps's en move everything to a dedi.

• Finally got mine :)

• wychwych Member

@joodle said:
    Finally got mine :)

Partytime!

• OH damn... 9096 power on hours for the HDD

• wychwych Member

@joodle said:
    OH damn... 9096 power on hours for the HDD

Thats only like 379 days, thats nothing!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

taronyu said: With these prices it is really tempting to just pull the plugs on many of my vps's en move everything to a dedi.

Interestingly enough, the 4.99 EUR figure at the moment is...

6.95 US Dollar

But what you said was already the case at least for me even back when these low-end dedicated servers were starting from 10-15 EUR. Especially since many of us have multiple VPSes, and by cancelling some of them you can easily cover the price of a small dedi, or even save some money.

• verlorenverloren Member
    edited May 2014

@nimdy - mine runs Bittorrent Sync and a (small) minecraft server, works fine.

• tommytommy Member

rds100 said: I wonder what will be their next offer. To me this seems like an attempt to clear all of their Atoms stock, because something new is coming soon. It would be interesting to see what is this new thing.

Let's hope they offer Intel Atom C2750 soon.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@tommy The did in a beta some months ago, maybe its getting public thats why the offer the old atom again with used drives. I got new drives

• Got Plex and Deluge setup, now let's download some movies and stream it directly to my Chromecast :)

• earlearl Member

Do the still offer proxmox as a template on the atom?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

joodle said: OH damn... 9096 power on hours for the HDD

My home PC has nearly 15 thousand hours and drive is still fine. i think its teh sectors you should watch.

• trexostrexos Member

I rememberI used Win Server 2k8 with my old 3,99€ Kimsufi

• bugisbugis Member

whether there is a panel for the client to reinstall the os like SolusVM ?

as in datashack should send a ticket to ask install os

• wychwych Member

@bugis said:
    whether there is a panel for the client to reinstall the os like SolusVM ?

as in datashack should send a ticket to ask install os

There is a panel, and its an automated re-install.

• bugisbugis Member

kimsufi 2G N2800 ipv4 available ?

• nimdynimdy Member

@joodle said:
    Got Plex and Deluge setup, now let's download some movies and stream it directly to my Chromecast :)

I like the sound of that. I have a Plex server at home but the CPU hits 99% when transcoding on Windows (its a HP Microserver from a few years back). I wonder if the Atom would have a little more grunt to transcode my media.

• wychwych Member

@bugis said:
    kimsufi 2G N2800 ipv4 available ?

A single v4 is supplied with all KS range servers.

• @nimdy said:
    I like the sound of that. I have a Plex server at home but the CPU hits 99% when transcoding on Windows (its a HP Microserver from a few years back). I wonder if the Atom would have a little more grunt to transcode my media.

The cpu usage while playing a 1080p video at my Chromecast is around 50% on that Atom N2800

• nimdynimdy Member

@joodle said:
    The cpu usage while playing a 1080p video at my Chromecast is around 50% on that Atom N2800

Interesting. Is that transcoding a MKV file (as an example) or direct playing something that the Chromecast can understand like MP4?

• @earl said:
    Do the still offer proxmox as a template on the atom?

VPS Proxmox VE 3.2 64bit

• @nimdy said:
    Interesting. Is that transcoding a MKV file (as an example) or direct playing something that the Chromecast can understand like MP4?

Transcoding a BluRay movie (so yes, .mkv) to my Chromecast

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Just got my i3 delivered after about 12 hours! :) I completely forgot the command for checking the HDD powered on hours, could someone refresh my memory please!

• apt-get install smartmontools
    smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Power_On