Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    Wait, why would you use a dedicated server to download from usenet?

Isn't the whole point of usenet that you download from dedicated servers and don't need to upload anything?

If you want to stream vids or music it out via Plex or similar, it's more convienient to DL straight to the server itself.

• @hostnoob said:
    Wait, why would you use a dedicated server to download from usenet?

Isn't the whole point of usenet that you download from dedicated servers and don't need to upload anything?

To avoid ISP's shaping the hell out of my downloads e.g. HTTP is not shaped but usenet / torrents are. It's faster. I can also do Plex, streaming etc as Nekki mentioned.

• sc754sc754 Member

@jeromeza said:
    To avoid ISP's shaping the hell out of my downloads e.g. HTTP is not shaped but usenet / torrents are. It's faster. I can also do Plex, streaming etc as Nekki mentioned.

A VPN is a good way to get around traffic shaping at home

• nimdy said: Is it not possible to install Windows on these then? I wanted to get one and have a go.

I have a Kimsufi (from the time when they were 4€/month) and you can easily install Windows on it. You just have to activate the key in their client area

• got a KS-1 installed trusty thar, why cpu frequency shows 798.000 MHz ? if its locked can i unlock it? how?

hdd power on=3177 hours

CPU model :  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  798.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1978 MB
    Total amount of swap : 510 MB
    System uptime :   27 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.3MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 9.27MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 9.68MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.92MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 5.95MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 11.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.36MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.36MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.60MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.63MB/s
    I/O speed :  138 MB/s

• nimdynimdy Member

I have been reading that the newer services / control panel won't allow it. Could someone who has purchased today let me know if this is possible?

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    I have a Kimsufi (from the time when they were 4€/month) and you can easily install Windows on it. You just have to activate the key in their client area

• earlearl Member

@tridinebandim said:
    got a KS-1 installed trusty thar, why cpu frequency shows 798.000 MHz ? if its locked can i unlock it? how?

you can try..

http://superuser.com/questions/454101/is-there-a-way-to-disable-intel-speedstep-steppings-on-an-ubuntu-server-using-a

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • Makkesk8Makkesk8 Member
    edited May 2014
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  798.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1980 MB
    Total amount of swap : 510 MB
    System uptime :   172 days, 56 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.3MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.41MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.03MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.35MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 7.26MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.90MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 3.49MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 4.49MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.43MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 10.0MB/s
    I/O speed :  141 MB/s

My box that I've had for 1 year give or take.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited May 2014

Never mind.

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited May 2014

[nimdy said]

there is no windows templates in reinstall options but there are windows 2008 and 2012 server options in "installation templates" so you can create windows templates, i dont know if they are working...

edit: it seems installation templates not in action

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

can Indonesia rent dedicated server (kimsufi) ?

• earlearl Member

@blackeye said:
    can Indonesia rent dedicated server (kimsufi) ?

when u register Indonesia is on the list of available country on the kimsufi.ie site so i would think yes.

But to be sure maybe ask in their forum.

• cant we change the account password ?

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

@earl said:
    But to be sure maybe ask in their forum.

hmm thanks I see indonesia is available on the list

• agonyztagonyzt Member

Nekki said: That dedi is only a 2 core.

Good point :P Guess I typed that too fast: 2 core 4 vcore with HT... My point still stand tho, too good to pass on hehe.

• Unofficial FAQ:
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?22810-Unofficial-FAQ

For Kimsufi servers they don't take ANY order from China. Being a Chinese myself I feel the bad discrimination in their policy.

• @hwdsl2 said:
    Unofficial FAQ:
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?22810-Unofficial-FAQ

For Kimsufi servers they don't take ANY order from China. Being a Chinese myself I feel the bad discrimination in their policy.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/26545/datashack-wholesaleinternet-packet-loss-a-warning-to-dedicated-server-providers/p1

Maybe related..

Thanked by 1netomx
  • earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@hwdsl2 said:
    Unofficial FAQ:
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?22810-Unofficial-FAQ by

5 euro/mo for 100 Mbit unmetered would definetly attract those bandwidth miners from China.. Killed a perfectly good server I had with datashack so in a way I can't really fault ovh.

Thanked by 3netomx Gunter marrco
  • I hope I get one within a week xD

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited May 2014

Stupid question, but...

I am from the United States, yet it is adding 5.00 € for VAT... Will that be removed from future invoices? Or does everyone have to pay VAT now?

• @NateN34 said:
    Stupid question, but...

I am from the United States, yet it is adding 5.00 € for VAT... Will that be removed from future invoices? Or does everyone have to pay VAT now?

you need to create account on the kimsufi forum and post your invoice number in the public thread. This is the only way to remove vat.

• NateN34NateN34 Member

@alexvolk said:
    you need to create account on the kimsufi forum and post your invoice number in the public thread. This is the only way to remove vat.

And I'm guessing that I need to ask to for every single invoice I get..

Meh, screw that. I will stick to Online.net.

• @NateN34 said:
    Meh, screw that. I will stick to Online.net.

No, just once.

• kyakykyaky Member

is Atom™ N2800 capable for Windows Server 2008 64 bit?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2014

Setup within the 120 seconds delivery time, shame about the low amount of IPv6. 7829 power on hours on the HDD, not too bad.

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.74966 s, 123 MB/s

• earlearl Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Setup within the 120 seconds delivery time, shame about the low amount of IPv6.

Is it really only 1 Pv6 per server now? at BHS they use to advertise /128 but actually gave out /64.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@wych said:
    Shame the UK site is broken.

Ireland site works http://www.kimsufi.com/ie/

• wychwych Member

@rmlhhd said:
    Ireland site works http://www.kimsufi.com/ie/

Cheers bud!

• nimdynimdy Member

@kyaky said:
    is Atom™ N2800 capable for Windows Server 2008 64 bit?

According to @tridinebandim reply to my question about Windows, it seems not :(

I might still buy one and have a play with it with Linux.

Another question for you all - the order page says 1/3/6/12 month when ordering. If I choose 1 month will the billing roll over after the first month? I don't want to pay for too many months up front as I may not get the hang of dedi servers (its a hobby project rather than anything permanent), but at the same time if I do get used to dedi server management I don't want them to cut me off after the first month!

• wychwych Member

@nimdy said:
    Another question for you all - the order page says 1/3/6/12 month when ordering. If I choose 1 month will the billing roll over after the first month? I don't want to pay for too many months up front as I may not get the hang of dedi servers (its a hobby project rather than anything permanent), but at the same time if I do get used to dedi server management I don't want them to cut me off after the first month!

If its the same as the KS13 series they email you 28, 14, 7, 3 and 24hours before its due, you then have the day it is due on to pay, after that they can suspend and re-use the server I believe.

You can manually pay via the account area using Card/Paypal/BACs whatever.