Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• ivanhivanh Member

anyone who had that account not validated after receiving the validation email find a work around yet?

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Anyone found an email to contact the validation team (guy?)... I dont want to make another forum account.

• Would anyone trust these for production use?

• Just got my 4.99 special. Around 3MB/s + consistent download to Canada. Think this will be great for experimenting and learning.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

So, I've just ordered one from the United Kingdom.

Any idea how long I should expect for the server to be set up as an EU resident paying via a credit card?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

linuxthefish said: Would anyone trust these for production use?

Depends on what you "produce"?

For a personal blog or website these are an order of magnitude more awesome than any VPS out there.

ElliotJ said: Any idea how long I should expect for the server to be set up as an EU resident paying via a credit card?

Their informal estimate is 120 seconds, and indeed somewhere earlier in this thread or their forums there are reports by people getting their servers delivered within minutes after paying.

Thanked by 1marrco
  • J1021J1021 Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Would anyone trust these for production use?

I have my Piwik installation on one of these, I've setup BTSync to keep a copy of all data on two other servers in real-time though.

• nimdynimdy Member

Happy with my server so far. Might have a bit of a tinker with it for a bit until I decide to move websites over to the box.

Just wondering how they provision these servers. We've already established they are barebones motherboards on trays rather than cased up servers. For the 120 second provision time I guess they are all running in the racks until someone buys one? Or do they use the remote power tools on their control panels to power on a server as it is needed? My provision time was very fast.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member
    edited May 2014

To everyone who's submitted their ID and are waiting for their server; don't worry, but you won't get it tomorrow (on Sunday). We had an extended weekend in France (4 days) because there was a holiday on May 8, so OVH/Kimsufi employees most likely weren't working. Chances are you'll get your server from Monday onwards.

With that being said, I did receive my server a couple of minutes after having paid (via PayPal). I'm French, so that could explain why?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

nimdy said: Or do they use the remote power tools on their control panels to power on a server as it is needed?

Of course, remote power on/off/reboot/netboot control.

• J1021J1021 Member

@ACaton said:
    Just got my 4.99 special. Around 3MB/s + consistent download to Canada. Think this will be great for experimenting and learning.

The bandwidth seems pretty good. Here is the upload graph for my server over the past 24 hours.

• @ACaton said:
    Just got my 4.99 special. Around 3MB/s + consistent download to Canada. Think this will be great for experimenting and learning.

download speed isn't really an issue, it's latency when using SSH

• J1021J1021 Member

@rm_ said:
    1e10 Xtightvnc <- you want to imply this is also OVH's doing? And then one half of those are from you running a graphical environment on the server, another sizable chunk is just the kernel threads (stuff in square brackets). One thing I can agree with, is if you didn't install apache but had it running by default, then yeah like 15 apache processes is a bit too much. One way or the other, if you need an HTTP server, my recommendation is always Lighttpd.

This must be my bad then. I have installed Gnome and VNC along with an LAMP setup. When I first got the server was a lot of running processes which I assumed were junk. Other minimal templates I've used have had 9 running processes from startup. Could this differ between VPS and dedicated?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Jack said: 20 hours

Not too bad I guess.

rm_ said: Their informal estimate is 120 seconds, and indeed somewhere earlier in this thread or their forums there are reports by people getting their servers delivered within minutes after paying.

Indeed. Ah well, I'm not exactly in a rush, so I can wait :)

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

@1e10 said:
    This must be my bad then. I have installed Gnome and VNC along with an LAMP setup. When I first got the server was a lot of running processes which I assumed were junk. Other minimal templates I've used have had 9 running processes from startup. Could this differ between VPS and dedicated?

how could you use that much bandwidth with a lamp stack and gnome? your site must be really busy i guess :)

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

i am thinking if i can figure out a way to install windows ditrctly by mounting the ISO via netboot, if anyone have any experience in doing that please give me some hint

• nimdynimdy Member

@zhuanyi said:
    i am thinking if i can figure out a way to install windows ditrctly by mounting the ISO via netboot, if anyone have any experience in doing that please give me some hint

I think a link has been posted on this thread explaining the process. It seems tricky though.

• J1021J1021 Member

zhuanyi said: how could you use that much bandwidth with a lamp stack and gnome? your site must be really busy i guess :)

I have transmission-daemon installed too ;)

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

I wish the n2800 had VT support.. would make for the perfect server!

This time around Validation is taking so much longer than the last time.. who puts on a special like this right before a holiday!! OVH is just whacked!

• sc754sc754 Member

@earl said:
    I wish the n2800 had VT support.. would make for the perfect server!

This time around Validation is taking so much longer than the last time.. who puts on a special like this right before a holiday!! OVH is just whacked!

It works with openvz, KVM would probably be too much for it anywho

• earlearl Member

@sc754 said:
    It works with openvz, KVM would probably be too much for it anywho

yeah I had one before.. you can actually install KVM under proxmox you just need to uncheck "KVM hardware virtualization"under options and use core2duo as CPU type.

It installed XP just fine but was really slow!

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

earl said: This time around Validation is taking so much longer than the last time.. who puts on a special like this right before a holiday!! OVH is just whacked!

Well mine just got delivered. Less than 4 hours since payment, so I can't complain.

• earlearl Member

@ElliotJ said:

Thing is I'm waiting for them to remove VAT, if not I think my order would be instant since I don't see anything in my invoice regarding getting validated.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I feel left out for not getting one this time, I have to keep reminding myself I've already got two N2800's that I'm paying less for.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ElliotJ said:

I'm waiting on the validation :(

• WTF. I order. I immediately submit ID + proof of address to their validation email address.

They then never read the email and my order lapses as you only have 1 day to validate.

How the hell am I supposed to complete my order if they don't validate it within the timeframe they require. SIGH...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DavidxDavidx Member

@jeromeza said:
    WTF. I order. I immediately submit ID + proof of address to their validation email address.

They then never read the email and my order lapses as you only have 1 day to validate.

How the hell am I supposed to complete my order if they don't validate it within the timeframe they require. SIGH...

You pay the VAT fee one time?... It's not even that much? lol..

• rrrrrr Member

So they charge 3 pounds vat all months? I am from India.