Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• wychwych Member

@TarZZ92 said:

Doesnt Intel heavily discount the cost of the chips it sells to OVH due to the bulk they buy in?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

rds100 said: yeah, but which product? I haven't seen any good new product from AMD in the last couple of years.

Doesn't need to be new, the E-350 comes to mind, AFAIK you even sold servers with those as well... It's on par with their current N2800 (or better), and additionally supports VT. But in the end it's a lot dependent on wholesale pricing they can get.

• rds100rds100 Member

The intel celeron J1900 also has VT, has 4 cores, has cpu benchmark score 2052 and is 10 Watt. I don't know which AMD cpu matches this.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

rds100 said: yeah, but which product? I haven't seen any good new product from AMD in the last couple of years.

possibly some of those new cheap semprons. or if they stay with intel maybe something like the new C2750

• rds100rds100 Member

The C2750 is already there (soyoustart), but expensive.
    Anyway i guess we will know soon enough :)

edited May 2014

rds100 said: The intel celeron J1900 also has VT, has 4 cores, has cpu benchmark score 2052

Well if it's "too fast", that will position it as the 15-20 EUR model replacement. What's more interesting to me is what they will replace the 5 EUR offer with. Or will they replace it at all, which I really doubt, btw. They will always have a stock of those N2800 (and slower Atoms) at least from cancellations, do you suggest they just junk all of that perfectly working hardware. In fact by plummeting the N2800 to 5 EUR they now have to invent what to do with those slower models they still have. And I wouldn't be too surprised to see an Atom 230 or Celeron 220 offer for around 30-40 EUR/year (paid yearly-only).

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ i think they will keep the N2800s at 5 EUR/month, but they will be out of stock most of the time, restocked mostly from cancellations. They are not in production anymore.

Also i don't know what did they do with the Atom 230 and Celeron 220s they had, they must have large stock of these from the cancellations. I guess everyone who has an Atom 230 or Cel. 220 at the old price would want to switch to the newer and cheaper N2800, but who knows. Maybe some of these old boxes started failing already but i still doubt OVH would just throw them all in the trash.

And yes, ultimately the new product would be priced a little higher - like between 10 and 15 euros. There is only so much profit to be made from a 5 EUR/month product.

• earlearl Member

they should have an ebay department and just sell off their old hardware..

• GunterGunter Member

@earl said:
    they should have an ebay department and just sell off their old hardware..

I recommended that to Oles some time ago and never really got much of a reply. I imagine its because their servers are custom built and custom fitted to the data centres in regards to the space they use.

• earlearl Member

@darknyan said:
    I recommended that to Oles some time ago and never really got much of a reply. I imagine its because their servers are custom built and custom fitted to the data centres in regards to the space they use.

I think with OVH it's a standard motherboard and CPU.. just that they custom build the rack and cooling for it..

Facebook and google on the other hand may have custom boards built to their specs..

• tehdantehdan Member

The N2800s identify as these boards:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dn2800mt.html

slightly customised though - no audio hardware.

edited May 2014

earl said: I think with OVH it's a standard motherboard and CPU.. just that they custom build the rack and cooling for it..

At least the BIOS is also custom, as the board shows up as being from "OVH" in dmidecode. And there is no sound device present, maybe it's just turned off in BIOS, but also maybe they put in a custom order with Intel to make and ship their batch of boards without one.

• wychwych Member

@tehdan said:

slightly customised though - no audio hardware.

Disabled in BIOS I would imagine.

• tehdantehdan Member

possibly, but in OVH quantity if they are built to order (as opposed to discounted EOL stock) there's a worthwhile saving to be had in not populating the connectors at least... wouldn't surprise me if other things like some of the USB headers and the 2nd DIMM slot weren't installed either.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

rm_ said: At least the BIOS is also custom

not all of them it would seem

http://puu.sh/8Kywc.png

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said:
    At least the BIOS is also custom, as the board shows up as being from "OVH" in dmidecode. And there is no sound device present, maybe it's just turned off in BIOS, but also maybe they put in a custom order with Intel to make and ship their batch of boards without one.

If I recalled the few servers I had with OVH were a standard model motherboards that were also sold at retail.. it's possible that with the quantity that OVH buy intel may allow them to customize it somewhat.. but for what it's worth if I knew OVH sold used board I would probably purchase it just cause I knew they would make good servers even thought they may be somewhat dated.

• nimdynimdy Member

Quick question... The Kimsufi range has one ipv4 and one ipv6 address. Could I have a process listening on a port for each IP address?

My reason for asking is that I always make SSH listen on 443 on servers as my work location and many others block ports other than 80 and 443. Once I am ssh'd in and using a proxy in Chrome I can browse any ports through the tunnel.

The downside of this is I cannot use SSL on port 443 when I set up websites. Is it possible for sshd to listen on the ipv4 address and nginx listen on the ipv6 address (and use Cloudflare so that the non-ipv6 world can reach my sites)?

• DavidxDavidx Member

@nimdy said:
    The downside of this is I cannot use SSL on port 443 when I set up websites. Is it possible for sshd to listen on the ipv4 address and nginx listen on the ipv6 address (and use Cloudflare so that the non-ipv6 world can reach my sites)?

No, not if you want to use SSL. Cloudflare = can't use SSL on free plans that are filtered. It's coming soon though.

Thanked by 1howardsl2

David_P said: No, not if you want to use SSL.

The answer to the base question,

nimdy said: Is it possible for sshd to listen on the ipv4 address and nginx listen on the ipv6 address

is yes, however.

• DavidxDavidx Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ said:
    is yes, however.

Misread :) thanks for clarifying @rm_

• nimdynimdy Member

Not to worry I think I've found a solution with sslh package. I'll test it later.

@David_P said:
    No, not if you want to use SSL. Cloudflare = can't use SSL on free plans that are filtered. It's coming soon though.

• sc754sc754 Member

@rds100 said:
    Who wants to bet what will be the new Kimsufi offer when the current stock runs out?

I think it could be based on the Intel J1800 / J1900 processors.

If only... they'll probably just keep sticking old hardware on the kimsufi range like they do at the minute. It's a good way to get some use out of paid for servers

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rds100rds100 Member

@sc754 true but they probably only have so many left and at 5 EUR / month they will run out sooner or later. So there must be something new, something in production.

• sc754sc754 Member

@rds100 said:
    sc754 true but they probably only have so many left and at 5 EUR / month they will run out sooner or later. So there must be something new, something in production.

Lets hope, the good thing is the last time they did this n2800 offer they had to buy a load of new hardware for it. So you may have a point about them getting some j range celerons

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

And still no validation :(

• I have a Intel DN2800MT motherboard, although it does look to be custom. Is it possible to run the CPU at the maximum clock of 4000 Mhz?

Disk is a ST500DM002-1BD142, looks decent!

Features:
                    Board is a hosting board
                    Board is replaceable
                    Location In Chassis: Base Board Chassis Location
                    Chassis Handle: 0x0007
  • rds100rds100 Member

The maximum frequency is 1.86GHz, don't know where did you get these 4GHz.

• @rds100 said:
    The maximum frequency is 1.86GHz, don't know where did you get these 4GHz.

DMI type 4, 42 bytes.
            Processor Information
                    Socket Designation: CPU 1
                    Type: Central Processor
                    Family: Other
                    Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
                    ID: 61 06 03 00 FF FB EB BF
                    Version: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
                    Voltage: 1.1 V
                    External Clock: 133 MHz
                    Max Speed: 4000 MHz
                    Current Speed: 1863 MHz
                    Upgrade: None
                    L1 Cache Handle: 0x0003
                    L2 Cache Handle: 0x0001
                    L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided
                    Serial Number: Not Specified
                    Asset Tag: Not Specified
                    Part Number: Not Specified

:(

• I assume you need cooling to run it at 4GHz

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2014

Anyone here running a seedbox? I'm getting lower upload speeds than usual (4-5 mb/s) since the last few days while having over 50+ torrents seeding

I'm currently reinstalling the server with Debian 7.5, but not sure if it's just a problem with Ubuntu 14.04 or if OVH filters torrent traffic