Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN.sh not well? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN.sh not well?

Comments

• BoxodeBoxode Member

I've had some downtime, but mostly online (I'd say 99.0%+ uptime)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ElliotJ said:

Vultr snapshots are free. Then just make a start up script to change any configs that need changing due to the ip change and you're all set.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

go with wable for 75 cents.
    But if you only need it once in a while, you can spin any instance on any cloud and do socks 4 vpn over ssh. Needs no configuration, not even login, just the password and IP. Dont forget to shut it down after you are done, it will probably be hacked otherwise.

Thanked by 2ryanarp Gabor
  • GaborGabor Member

Following the advice of Maounique, I have set up an account with wable to deploy my own VPN server. While I do have some experience with Unix, this is the first time I am setting up this kind service.
    Maybe forum members can help me with some pointers for getting started ...
    As for vpn.sh, I have asked for an activation of services or a refund. I am not too optimistic for getting any response, but I plan to go for PayPal buyer protection as a matter of principle.

• Yep still haven't heard or seen anything since the sell they did, service still isn't activated.

Probably will have to hit up PayPal on this one.

• @Gabor said:
    Following the advice of Maounique, I have set up an account with wable to deploy my own VPN server. While I do have some experience with Unix, this is the first time I am setting up this kind service.
    Maybe forum members can help me with some pointers for getting started ...
    As for vpn.sh, I have asked for an activation of services or a refund. I am not too optimistic for getting any response, but I plan to go for PayPal buyer protection as a matter of principle.

A tutorial for easy deployment would be great. I've been told that OpenVpn Access server with 2 free licenses is a great route and easy to setup...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ACaton said:
    A tutorial for easy deployment would be great. I've been told that OpenVpn Access server with 2 free licenses is a great route and easy to setup...

It's piss easy assuming your provider has the right IPtables modules enabled, wget the package you need from the OpenVPN site, dpkg -i the package.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@liamwithers was active on the 10th he may want to provide an update.

• @Dylan said:

Thanks for the links! Will check it out!

IF, you do not wish to have anything to do with the VPS and only work on windows side, here it is:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828
    There is no need of any module in OVZ, in fact, the virtualization type is irrelevant, i still recommend you to keep the OS updated, but that is all you need to do apart from having a fairly complex root password.

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • On another note, I'm assuming most people have decided to cancel their service from vpn.sh? How will you or have you dealt with a refund?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I've got a new order pending for 4 days and a ticket open for a day now asking about when it'll be ready. Seems Liam has some other issues that are a higher priority at the moment. :(

• MikyMiky Member

Not feeling great about pending tickets, but my vpn destinations are not US and so far working good.... UK too.

• In case you're interested in setting up IPSec IKE v2, which I prefer over OpenVPN for performance reasons (and native support in Windows 7/8), check out this tutorial:

https://www.zeitgeist.se/2013/11/22/strongswan-howto-create-your-own-vpn/

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Hey guys - shall issue a full response to clients via email soon. Basically had an awful lot of issues on my plate that I've had to look into - primarily led by what appears to be PayPal taking a stance against VPN providers. PayPal have revoked access to our account and have stated that any further accounts created with PayPal whilst still using our current business model will be removed.

To say that this is irritating would be a huge understatement, as the vast majority of our orders are paid for via PayPal.

We're in the process of weighing up options about where to move forwards, and I'm still in the process of getting a new support team up and running as I know and understand that the previous support team we're completely unacceptable with their response times, as well as their lack of correspondence with myself.

Most locations should be up and running, and I'm having to just hold my hands up and say that it may be a rough couple of weeks. Some of our providers only accept PayPal as payment, so I'll have to work something out with them - but should hopefully be back up and running, and with a new support team in place by the end of the month.

I understand that this is more than mildly irritating for our clients, as it is also a nightmare for us - but we'll start to move forward as soon as we possibly can.

Thanks,
    Liam

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • souensouen Member

Thanks for the update, @liamwithers. Not to derail the thread, but would you mind elaborating on Paypal's response on the matter? (I wasn't aware accepting payment for VPN services is not allowed with Paypal. Does this apply generally to VPN subs, including buying/selling?)

@souen said:
    Thanks for the update, liamwithers. Not to derail the thread, but would you mind elaborating on Paypal's response on the matter? (I wasn't aware accepting payment for VPN services is not allowed with Paypal. Does this apply generally to VPN subs, including buying/selling?)

As far as I'm aware thus far, it only affects VPN providers, and not clients.

Unfortunately they've been very uncooperative on the phone, and aren't even giving me the actual "reason" for the account being revoked, and are only providing "examples" of why the account could, in theory be revoked. However the example that they continue to give isn't representative of any issue they could have with me, and they're simply stating that they do not wish to conduct business with VPN.sh whilst we continue to offer VPN services.

Thanked by 1souen
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

how old is your paypal account and do you have merchant rates enabled?

• souensouen Member

@liamwithers: thanks for the explanation. Sounds frustrating. It's too bad, I'd switch from Paypal but haven't found an alternative that is as widely accepted, besides prepaid CC. In the meantime, the locations I usually use are working, the glass is half-full, as they say.

Hope things work out for the better for you soon. :)

• ChuckChuck Member

PayPal has done it again. F u PayPal.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2014

@liamwithers said:
    Unfortunately they've been very uncooperative on the phone, and aren't even giving me the actual "reason" for the account being revoked, and are only providing "examples" of why the account could, in theory be revoked. However the example that they continue to give isn't representative of any issue they could have with me, and they're simply stating that they do not wish to conduct business with VPN.sh whilst we continue to offer VPN services.

I hope they gave you the money from it or I'd be rolling up to their front door in a tank. At least that's the metaphor I'll use for the hell I would be unleashing on them. There would be restraining orders involved.

@AnthonySmith said:
    how old is your paypal account and do you have merchant rates enabled?

The account must be a good few years old now. Maybe 6 or 7 years old? Wasn't aware of the merchant rates until just now, so they were not enabled.

@Jar said:
    I hope they gave you the money from it or I'd be rolling up to their front door in a tank. At least that's the metaphor I'll use for the hell I would be unleashing on them. There would be restraining orders involved.

Mmm, hopefully - funds are still locked in the account and all money going in and out over the last week or so have been placed on hold.

I have heard about this here before, let me dig it...
    Hum, my google-fu is broken tonight, but found something similar on vpsboard:
    https://vpsboard.com/topic/1046-vpn-providers-banned-by-visa-and-mastercard/

• ChuckChuck Member

I'm getting this:

WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.

For over 2 days now.

• twiigltwiigl Member

2 days .. lelel look at this no reaction yet since more then one month! Can't recommend this shit !

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • ChuckChuck Member

^^ I haven't used it for a month. Because I already have my own VPN. In the last 2 days, I re-imaged my VPS. That's why I need this.

• souensouen Member

Unfortunately another location went down today, at least one server has been down for some time and no connection to two other locations when I tried today.

I'll just wait for them to sort things out. A bit funny though, what was originally a backup plan turns out to be the one needing backup.

• Yesterday I tried to connect to any random server and had no luck with any.

This service is as useless as a dead rat in a tampon factory.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I renewed in June, I won't be renewing next year.