Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are?

Comments

• nikcnikc Member

@jhadley said: because some of the plans I had offered were not really sustainable

Thats a tad disapointing to us punters who are foolish enough to trust people we buy services from.

@jhadley said: Either way, I didn't tie anyone in with a contract so you're free to leave if you want to, though if you're looking for something solid and reliable then Othello is probably a good way to go.

True, but i paid for a year up front ....

• nikcnikc Member

@jhadley said: I'm not going to beat around the bush - Rob is right. I agree though that there probably should have been some notification with some reasoning etc.

As i say, I don't have an issue with them making money, in fact i actually feel slightly sorry for them that they are picking up a load of customers that you basically misled ...

• jhjh Member

@nikc said: Thats a tad disapointing to us punters who are foolish enough to trust people we buy services from.

Yes, I know and I do apologise. I gave up any sort of payout from UKCloud in exchange for some stability for you guys (and hopefully ensuring you get the year you paid for) though which seemed like the fairest thing I could do given the situation. I also put up around £4000 of my own money in refunds etc.

@nikc said: True, but i paid for a year up front ....

Yes but you're still getting that year, aren't you?

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@nikc said: that you basically misled ...

I didn't deliberately mislead anyone, I just sucked when it came to the business side of things and the person who was supposed to be handling that side of things wasn't mainly due to illness and other constrains on their time.

If it helps (probably won't but anyway) I can try and sort you out a discount for killerio.com and move everything across for you when your year is up, if you are looking to move.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@jhadley said: I also put up around £4000 of my own money in refunds etc.

How is it your money if you refunded it?

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@miTgiB said: How is it your money if you refunded it?

The company was basically broke. I chucked pretty much everything from my personal account to support refunds etc.

• nikcnikc Member

@jhadley said: Yes but you're still getting that year, aren't you?

I do hope so ....

• jhjh Member

@nikc said: I do hope so ....

Sounds like you are. Without Othello you wouldn't be...

• "£15 (£180) is a rip off, the price is ridiculous considering what you're getting.
    It's not a cloud, please please I hate all this marketing rubbish."

i could get a good dedi for that price lol

• jhjh Member

@liam said: £4.50 (£55) is around the normal price for such a plan. EDIS offer a KVM plan very similar in specs and price.

No it's not. That's the normal price for something on low-end hardware with no redundancy or support etc. Here, high end kit was used and a lot of redundancies were in place.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@liam said: LoveVPS $10 ($7 coupon may be available)

I can vouch for this one :)

• jhjh Member

@liam said: Plus don't forget killerio are moving onto the scene ;)

Haha thanks :) It's just a hobby though so it's not really a hosting company

• @jhadley said: Haha thanks :) It's just a hobby though so it's not really a hosting company

Feel free to start offering some more unsustainable plans like you admitted to doing with this guy.

• pcanpcan Member

@liam: your price comparison to EDIS offer is wrong, because the Othello VPS has a HA feature. You need at least two identical standard VPS's to have a comparable redundancy.

@nikc: you are right about the poor communication efforts of Othello; for instance, they halved the Ram quota on my custom plan without notice, but they promptly restored the correct amount (with apology) when I sent them the required documentation. On the plus side, they never sent unsolicited promotional emails. My custom plan has a quarter of the resources of yours, and the price is accordingly about a quarter of the 180 GBP they asked you. Your original 55 GBP/y price is crazy for this kind of service, you made a exceptionally good deal, no wonder they tried to change the price.

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2012

@JoeMerit said: Feel free to start offering some more unsustainable plans like you admitted to doing with this guy.

Actually the Killer IO plans are sustainable as the costs are fairly low and the hardware is being looked after by another company so there aren't any 'surprise costs' like the snowball of hardware replacement costs that basically put UKCloud out of business, and all of the accounts are all paid monthly to prevent anyone losing out should things go tits up.

Also as I said it's a hobby. I'm not looking to make a lot of money out of it really, just doing it because I enjoy playing around with servers. Worst comes to worst, my consultancy work more than pays the costs of this server, and right now the plan is to stick with 1 server.

• jhjh Member

@liam said: What's HA? High Availability?

Yeah

• nikcnikc Member

@pcan said: Your original 55 GBP/y price is crazy for this kind of service, you made a exceptionally good deal, no wonder they tried to change the price.

You mean @jhadley sold an unsustainable product surely ;)

I was actually just trying to get out of a mess that I'd been left with as a result of the "without warning, immediate closure" of QuickVPS .... hold on, there's a pattern emerging here .... thank god my important stuff is all on RackSrv :)

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@liam wrote

It's not a cloud, please please I hate all this marketing rubbish.

All the remaining UKCloud (and all the Othello VDS systems) are as "cloud" as we can get them - multiple replicated redundant SAN backends, multiple HA/Auto-failover hosts, dedicated & non-oversold resources - not standalone boxes running xen/kvm/openvz (although we have some legacy units of those on another setup) - which has an associated cost in terms of power, hardware, licences, maintenance etc.

• we're currently subsidisng every ukcloud vps buy about £8/month !

@DanielM

i could get a good dedi for that price lol