Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are?

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2012

Ah, I phoned rob @ othello tech a few weeks ago is it a 0845 number? I had a additional £23 phone bill this month.

Thanks douchebag, £0.90 a Minute they also charge £30 / Per TB.

• @Jacob said: Ah, I phoned rob @ othello tech a few weeks ago is it a 0845 number? I had a additional £23 phone bill this month.

Its a premium rate 0871 Number ( This is not like a typical 0845 number its a purpose for earning cash from calls)

• @Jacob said: I phoned rob @ othello tech a few weeks ago

Thinking of selling up?

• pcanpcan Member

I had a custom VPS on UKcloud, and Othello Tech sent me last week the credentials for the new control panel. They also announced that the VPS will be migrated to a new platform. The Othello Tech billing system listed a wrong configuration (half the amount of Ram). I raised a ticket and sent them the original UKcloud invoice, and they promptly fixed the error. The UKcloud Ubersmith database they imported was clearly messed up, but they seems to be aware of the issue.

• jhjh Member

@pcan said: they promptly fixed the error.

Good to hear :)

• I think they bought DMB Hosting

• jhjh Member

@bijan588 said: I think they bought DMB Hosting

Are you sure? This would surprise me.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I really doubt they bought DMBHosting, they wouldn't actively buy a company that's in a loss.

• @jtodd said: Are you sure? This would surprise me.

What is up with the UKCloud? I read on your personal blog that othellotech.net bought that company? Arent you in the vps business yourself anymore?

• jhjh Member

@djvdorp said: Arent you in the vps business yourself anymore?

No

• Emailed them.

Ticket deleted, and now one of their staff members is spamming me with invoice reminders, I've received 5 in the last minute.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@Daniel

They also seemed to sign me up with their client center by themselves.

If you log into the client portal you can read the emails you've "missed" about the quickvps/qualityservers/ukcloud ...

I keep receiving invoices from them for an apparent VPS that I never had with them

Open a ticket @ http://support.othellotech.net with the details and it'll get investigated, we verified manually the data imported as part of the client takeon, so if you're getting invoices, then the inherrited accounting/billing systems still has you as a live client.

I don't get why they've added a VPS to my account though
    I know exactly what VPSs I have, and don't have any LEBs.

Odd, as if you're the client I think, then I can see a live VPS and a valid order and a paid invoice and your paypal details - but best to open a ticket, so it can be properly looked into

I so want to pay the £5 a minute on their phone system.

10p/min, although there are a dozen other ways to contact us, and for account-queries you'd be requested to open a ticket.
    http://www.othellotech.net/contact.htm

I was never a customer of the UKCloud
    I was a customer of the QualityServers

QS was a trading name of QuickVPS Ltd, which changed name to UK Coud, so yes, you'd have been a client of 'UK cloud' if you'd had anything with the earlier trading names...

I'm sure it'd be something easy to solve, just get in touch.

@DanielM

they are a ripoff company that charges stupid prices

You not understanding the value/cost of something doesn't make it a rip-off, not everyone over-sells, under-delivers and then vanishes like the majority of LEB/LET suppliers

LOL have u seen there domain prices too. £5.55 per Year for a .co.uk.

Per 2 years not per year
    - which in January when I checked the entire list of Nominet members, made us the most cost-effective .uk Registrar in the UK.

We're also an ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar for all gTLDs, actively involved in domain name and internet governance issues on behalf of registrants.

I've seen the blog post, so I know you have an "agenda" regarding pricing, and the cost is your only selection criteria for a service, determining something is "good" because it's "cheapest" isn't a philosophy I agree with - perhaps its why so many of your chosen hosts go out of business ?

But if you're going to try and call "rip-off", at least get the period of service right :p

But rackspace have a valid arguement for there ripoff prices.
    One being a realy good network. (Which Othello Do not)

We have a higher network uptime than Rackspace, and our multihomed, multigigagit, multilocation network AS29527 peers with significantly more ISPs meaning shorter routes, faster routes and more ways in/out of the network than RS - so by definition, it's a better network.

Second They have many Data centers (Which Othello Do not).

Incorrect, RS have one DC which they're the primary user of, and a couple of PoPs near Heathrow, we operate our own London Docklands datacentre, and have multiple additional PoPs - we're present in more datacentres than RS

Thirdly they offer excellent support (Which Othello do not They charge a premium for support)

There is a small cost (~10p/min) to call our switchboard, which allows people to choose between the more-efficient and "free" methods to contact us, like the ticket system, or the more immediate method like 24/7/365 telephone access

As to the quality of support, that's something we've always strived to excel at, and continue to solicit feedback about.

I'm not aware of you ever having need/cause to use our support though, as I dont see that you've ever had a direct service from Othello, but if you have a ticket number you weren't happy about, I'd like to know, so I can get it looked.

We're always looking for feedback on the customer-interactions, whther that be "good" (as I'd always want it to be) or "bad" (in which case I need to know what to get fixed).

@pcan

The Othello Tech billing system listed a wrong configuration (half the amount of Ram).

My apologies that the initial details we had for you were incorrect, unfortunately our starting point had to be the data we could import from ukcloud/quickvps/quality-servers, which in some instances was not being maintained correctly.

I raised a ticket and sent them the original UKcloud invoice, and they promptly fixed the error

Correct information (contact, service, billing) is important for both of us, and I'm glad to hear it was sorted out for you.

@bijan588

I think they bought DMB Hosting

DMB Hosting are not one of the Othello family of companies/trading names, so sorry, we're not directly invoved with them.

@Daniel

Ticket deleted,

It'll be Closed, not deleted

We don't delete tickets, only answer them, merge them into existing tickets if a new one is opened for the same issue, or update them to "awaiting response" if more detail is needed from the ticket opener.

and now one of their staff members is spamming me with invoice reminders

You intimated in the ticket you'd not ordered anything, and received the standard reply on how to cancel (when you have O/S|Unpaid Invoices) and the automated systems sent you reminders, not staff.

I've answered the ticket, and flagged your VPS to termination. I also deleted all the auto-generated and imported from UKCloud invoices since your last payment for the VPS you had.

The blog files / WP install you did will go (obviously) when the VPS is deleted later today.

• @jtodd @Daniel Were QualityServers/UKCloud clients informed of this sale? Or does UK law not stipulate that you have to inform someone before you sell their contact information to a third party?

Thanked by 2nabo djvdorp
  • @aldryic UK data protection laws are VERY strict.

• Data must not be disclosed to other parties without the consent of the individual whom it is about, unless there is legislation or other overriding legitimate reason to share the information (for example, the prevention or detection of crime). It is an offence for Other Parties to obtain this personal data without authorisation.

Personal information may be kept for no longer than is necessary and must be kept up to date.

UK data protection laws are VERY strict.

Data held for accounts and records purposes is not covered by much of the DPA as it's a legal requirement for business to keep and maintain it.

Company acquisitions are a valid reason for transfer of data and is exempt from the act. Whereas selling the data, for example to a marketing company, would require explicit permission (usually obtained at time of collection).There would have to some form of opt-out in that circumstance.

A lot more detail can be obtained at
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/faqs/data_protection_for_organisations.aspx

• That's what I'm curious about, @Daniel. Were you notified at all about the sale (preemptively), and was your permission requested in order to pass your data to the new owners?

From my understanding of how that regulation works (it's pretty similar here in the US and back home in RU now), in order for a registered UK company to 'sell out' as like in this scenario, each client would have to be contacted beforehand. And any client that did not give express permission would have to be removed from the database before the sale.

Or am I way off base there? (I know for sure I never heard anything from dmbHosting when they were considering selling out... but then again I had to hunt down this second owner and get his word that my data would be removed rather than sold. I suppose we'll see just how honest he was about that.)

• @othelloRob said: Company acquisitions

Wouldn't a legal company acquisition require both parties to be registered companies? Granted, I'm just doing a cursory search and am not personally familiar with finding UK business registrations, so I could be wrong here.. but I was under the impression that QualityServers and UKCloud weren't registered companies.

• @Aldryic said: That's what I'm curious about, @Daniel. Were you notified at all about the sale (preemptively), and was your permission requested in order to pass your data to the new owners?

I wasn't contacted,

• @othelloRob said: You not understanding the value/cost of something doesn't make it a rip-off, not everyone over-sells, under-delivers and then vanishes like the majority of LEB/LET suppliers

No, your a rip-off company.

Getting a Raspberry Pi and hosting it at home is cheaper and would give you way more recourses then hosting it with you.

@Aldryic said: Wouldn't a legal company acquisition require both parties to be registered companies

Yes.

Othello Technology Systems Ltd was est. 1996, and incorporated in 1999.
    UK Cloud Ltd (formerly QuickVPS Ltd) was est/incorporated in 2010.

I was under the impression that QualityServers and UKCloud weren't registered

QS was a trading-name of QuickVPS Ltd (which rebranded as UK Cloud Ltd) - a registered company - now no longer trading.

www.companieshouse.gov.uk
    and use the webcheck facility, if you ever want to lookup a registered UK company.

• @othelloRob said: You not understanding the value/cost of something doesn't make it a rip-off, not everyone over-sells, under-delivers and then vanishes like the majority of LEB/LET suppliers

I do. but you need to realise that there is a difference between plain greed , and providing a decent product.

@othelloRob said: Per 2 years not per year

• which in January when I checked the entire list of Nominet members, made us the most cost-effective .uk Registrar in the UK.

My bad. I didnt see that. FYI ovh is cheap too!

@othelloRob said: There is a small cost (~10p/min) to call our switchboard

When using a bt landline (And it adds up). If i was to use virgin or a mobile phone i could pay anything upto 60p a minute. Or more.

• @DanielM said: @othelloRob said: Per 2 years not per year

• which in January when I checked the entire list of Nominet members, made us the most cost-effective .uk Registrar in the UK.

My bad. I didnt see that. FYI ovh is cheap too!

You can even get .co.uk's for free.

@DanielM said:
    FYI ovh is cheap too!

£2.99/year initial registration - so ~10% dearer (and not based in the UK), but yes, pretty cheap.

@Daniel said:
    You can even get .co.uk's for free.

Lots of hosts give them for free with hosting (we've included a free .uk with annual plans since 2002 when the Nominet fee dropped to £20)

• @othelloRob said: Lots of hosts give them for free with hosting (we've included a free .uk with annual plans since 2002 when the Nominet fee dropped to £20)

No, as in free free. Nothing else. Just register your domain for free.