Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are?

MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
edited March 2012 in General

Question sums it up, I keep receiving invoices from them for an apparent VPS that I never had with them? They also seemed to sign me up with their client center by themselves.

Seems scammish.

Comments

• Maybe you were customer of some failed company, then "sold" to another company. What's their domain?

• @rds100 said: Maybe you were customer of some failed company, then "sold" to another company. What's their domain?

http://othellotech.net/

I don't get why they've added a VPS to my account though, I know exactly what VPSs I have, and don't have any LEBs.

• they run http://www.othellotech.net and buy most failing companies. they are a ripoff company that charges stupid prices , i have blogged about them in the past

• Their domain was registered in 1999 and they've got their own AS so probably not so scammish.
    Why don't you just write them an mail or call them?

• @DanielM said: they run http://www.othellotech.net and buy most failing companies. they are a ripoff company that charges stupid prices , i have blogged about them in the past

So because they fail so much, they find it acceptable to sign me up to their company and then expect me to pay the VPS they randomly added to my account?

Wonder what trading standards would say.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Their domain was registered in 1999 and they've got their own AS so probably not so scammish.

Why don't you just write them an mail or call them?

I so want to pay the £5 a minute on their phone system.

• Maybe someone who doesn't like you and has your details have signed you up.

• Were you with one of these hosts:
    http://hostacquisitions.co.uk/recent.htm ?

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited March 2012

@Daniel said: I so want to pay the £5 a minute on their phone system.

I have actually made a complaint to ofcom etc about this. They where not happy Thats why they have been forced to put this there "* Calls to our switchboard on 0871 277 6875 are charged at 'National Rate' (upto 10p/min from BT, mobiles may vary - check with your telephone provider for exact costs) "

IMHO any company that uses a premium rate number (Not 0845 or 0844) is a shady company. Its nothing but a revenue generator

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Were you with one of these hosts:

http://hostacquisitions.co.uk/recent.htm ?

No.

The VPS has the hostname "vps.dantesting.com", and isn't even provisioned apparently. I've never ever called a VPS under that hostname.

• I called them and got an Orange Answerphone.

• @Daniel

Are you with theukcloud by any chance? It looks like @jtodd has sold theukcloud to them.

• AsimAsim Member

@Jtodd sold it without intimating customers? not a good sign

• And what is worse, it is not the first time he doesn't care about his customers - look what he did with his QualityServers brand...

• @titanicsaled said: Are you with theukcloud by any chance? It looks like @jtodd has sold theukcloud to them.

I was never a customer of the UKCloud

I was a customer of the QualityServers, but I haven't been a customer for 2 years.

• Strange, maybe they bought rights for QualityServers mailing lists as well?

• @Daniel said: I was a customer of the QualityServers, but I haven't been a customer for 2 years.

QualityServers is now also owned by Othello but that doesn't explain why they send you invoices. I'd say just report their invoice mailes as spam.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: just report their invoice mailes as spam

Also worth doing it via spamcop!

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited March 2012

I think jtodd imported all his customers into TheUKCloud from qualityservers. I too received an invoice from TheUKCloud (and I never signed up with UkCloud) - it told me to pay immediately for a vps I had cancelled at least 6 months before getting the invoice.

• @JoeMerit said: I think jtodd imported all his customers into TheUKCloud from qualityservers. I too received an invoice from TheUKCloud - it told me to pay immediately for a vps I had cancelled at least 6 months before getting the invoice.

I guess Othello dosen't realise what "CANCELLED" means.

• @Daniel said: I guess Othello dosen't realise what "CANCELLED" means.

This was before he sold it to Othello. So he knew there was a problem but looks like he didn't do anything about it. Could he have done this to make the company look like it had way more customers than it did? (to make it more valuable in the sale.)

• jhjh Member
    edited March 2012

UKCloud was acquired by Othello Tech some time ago - the final part of the handover was done last night. Those of you who are getting emails and shouldn't be: it's because our Ubersmith was messy and that's what they imported from - I imagine all you have to is send a quick email in.

Anyone with active services (unlikely there's anyone here - we stopped selling low end stuff some time ago) can expect a more stable/reliable company and over time a better network and more stable platform too. This takeover was done for the sake of the remaining customers rather than any personal gain as the company had problems that needed sorting out by someone with more resources than me.

Othello Tech is an extremely stable and reliable company.

Any questions just let me know.

• @jtodd said: Othello Tech is an extremely stable and reliable company.

But a company that is a ripoff. and Charges premium rates for phone support.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited March 2012

@jtodd said: Othello Tech is an extremely stable and reliable company.

They offer Linux shared CPanel hosting with 100mb space, 1gb traffic and no SQL for 5$/month. 'nuff said
    Oh and 256mb VPS for 30$/month

• @gsrdgrdghd said: They offer Linux shared CPanel hosting with 100mb space, 1gb traffic and no SQL for 5$/month. 'nuff said

Hilarious, their making around $4.95 profit on that straight away.

• LOL have u seen there domain prices too. £5.55 per Year for a .co.uk.

• @DanielM said: LOL have u seen there domain prices too. £5.55 per Year for a .co.uk.

BT gives them away for free.

• MiscisMiscis Member
    edited March 2012

They have the right to charge whatever price they want.
    Maybe Rackspace is a 'ripoff company' as well for charging $700/m for a server others would charge $100/m for, or SoftLayer is a 'ripoff company' for charging $300/m for the same server.

I do agree that sending you invoices for a cancelled service is wrong though. Definitely intentional if you've never used that hostname anywhere.

• @Miscis said: Maybe Rackspace is a 'ripoff company' as well for charging $700/m for a server others would charge $100/m for, or SoftLayer is a 'ripoff company' for charging $300/m for the same server.

SoftLayers usually charges more per month then the actual hardware cost itself.

• @Miscis said: Maybe Rackspace is a 'ripoff company

Yes. But rackspace have a valid arguement for there ripoff prices. One being a realy good network. (Which Othello Do not) Second They have many Data centers (Which Othello Do not). Thirdly they offer excellent support (Which Othello do not They charge a premium for support)