Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone know who Othello Technology Systems LTD are?

Comments

• @Jacob said: High Spec VPS node is going to be better then some trashy Dual Core Proccessor

Yes. But you do not have to charge the stupid prices he charges, http://tagadab.com/ is an example of how it can be done.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

Not sure what you're comparing to get the "stupid prices" ...

2 identical machines:
    http://www.tagadab.com/uk/dedicated-servers/DSX8000
    Annually: £1668.00

https://my.othellotech.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=760&carttpl=modern
    Annually: £1563.00

• @othelloRob said: 2 identical machines:

http://www.tagadab.com/uk/dedicated-servers/DSX8000
    Annually: £1668.00

Annually: £1563.00

Do you actually own the hardware?

edited April 2012

@Daniel asked:
    Do you actually own the hardware?

Yes, we own all the hardware.

• They aren't stupid prices if he can get people to pay them. This thread has gone stupid.

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited April 2012

@othelloRob said: 2 identical machines:

I was refering to the VPS'es (http://www.tagadab.com/uk/virtual-private-servers/SVS1000)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@othelloRob just help me understand how you support the "not oversold" mantra with your £19.95 plan. On you site you say they are hosted on a single xeon (what specs?), let's say you have 4 core + HT (let's count a total of 8 core even if not real).
    If you don't oversell you should put no more than 8 clients on such server but this don't match with the fact that your plan only give 256MB of ram. Do you buy servers with 2.5GB of ram?

What kind of SAN do you use? Don't you pay for virtuozzo licenses? Colocation spaces and bandwidth?

Thanks

• pcanpcan Member

I have nothing to complain regarding my customer data transfer from UKCloud to Othello Tech. This was already settled at article 4 of the UKCloud privacy policy: "We may disclose your personal information... to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset wich we are (or are conteplating) selling".

Thanked by 1othelloRob

@prometeus asked:
    help me understand how you support the "not oversold" mantra with your £19.95
    plan. On you site you say they are hosted on a single xeon (what specs?)

I believe all the hardware has been replaced with dual quad and some with dual hex kit now, if there are any single-cpu hosts left they'll be gone once everything is migrated to our datacentre - refreshing the site is on the to-do list, the orderform data is kept current.

If you don't oversell you should put no more than 8 clients on such server

7 or 11, as we keep one for the hypervisor, yes.

but this don't match with the fact that your plan only give 256MB of ram

Why ? Not everyone picks the smallest configuration (the most common requirement is 1Gb).

What kind of SAN do you use?

EMC and HP P series with replication to our supermicro storage units

Don't you pay for virtuozzo licenses?

Not since the initial batch bought years ago, we dumped VZ completely end 2008 for reliability/stability reasons. The Othello VDS services are using Citrix XenServer Enterprise. The inherrited budget range from 2 recent acquisitions is using Solus/OVZ, there are a few bits of OnApp which are being replaced

What do prometeus/iperweb use for SANs ?

• pcanpcan Member

@othelloRob: I appreciate the time you spent on this discussion. At the beginning of january I bought a yearly low-spec UKcloud server to test the service. I am looking to replace some xeon dedicated servers later this year, and I need good SLA. A low-cost "cloud server" technology is one of the solutions I am looking at. The UK Cloud service was still in alpha phase, with some obvious issues: low network speed; misconfigured OnApp control panel (serial console not working, funny numbers in the billing section). The biggest issue is insufficient redundancy: almost full day outage due to maintenance of the single SAN. I am now expecting, of course, that your company will either complete the previous owner rush job, or migrate the system to the advertised enterprise-grade platform. I will not evaluate the service on the current platform further, because I don't see the value: I measured better uptime and network performance from some LEB's.

@pcan wrote:
    The UK Cloud service was still in alpha phase, with some obvious issues:
    low network speed;
    misconfigured OnApp control panel (serial console not working,
    funny numbers in the billing section).

The network issue on the ukcloud service is down to congestion at the provider, which is expected to "go away" when the service is migrated fully to our datacentre.

The "funny numbers" in onapp, is because onapp is not being used for the billing at all

Missing/not-working serial console - if that's still an issue, raise a ticket and one of the technicians can investigate for you.

I am now expecting, of course, that your company will either complete the
    previous owner rush job, or migrate the system to the advertised
    enterprise-grade platform.

We'll be moving it all onto our platforms.

I dont have an exact date for that yet, as it's dependant on a number of other items - ripe updating the ip blocks, renumbering of certain ip ranges, testing of the Xen to XenServer migrations etc

• details will be emailled out when available - but I expect it'll be during May.

@othelloRob said: Why ? Not everyone picks the smallest configuration (the most common requirement is 1Gb)

This is because on the vps page you state that different plans get different hardware (single, dual, quad), so at some point in the past this was what you did ;)

@othelloRob said: What do prometeus/iperweb use for SANs

we use some old StorageTek 6130/6140 for fiber channel and 2 Coraid SRX 3200 + 2 VSX 2500 using ata over ethernet.

• @othelloRob said: The only way I can see the LEB concept being viable is some combination of

• overselling - which we dont do on any current service at any stage
    • low-priced hardware - which IMHO is a false economy in the long term
    • cash-and-run never planning to keep the service going - not an option
    • nulled scripts and hacked licences - not an option
    • compromises on design - local disks not SAN storage, more memory and less cpu %age than the vds/cloud ranges
    • i.e. build something for that specific sector

I found that to be highly offensive. It begs the question of whether you have any actual experience in this industry, or are just verbally spewing what your marketing department feeds you.

@Steve81 said: What combination do you pick?

We picked 'none of the above', and it's been insanely successful for us.

@miTgiB said: so slick a snake oil salesman you can only speak in buzzwords.

Ditto.

@pcan said: This was already settled at article 4 of the UKCloud privacy policy: "We may disclose your personal information... to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset wich we are (or are conteplating) selling".

Aaah, thank you for reminding me of that. This specific clause is exactly what made me search elsewhere for a UK presence.

I have to give @othelloRob for maintaining a calm, reasonable attitude throughout all of this, but the arrogance definitely rubs me the wrong way. While he was well within his rights to defend against the posts regarding his company; the callous attitude towards the LE providers, us "amateurs" lacking a "real company" to stand behind, is more than a bit grating.

Thanked by 2DanielM djvdorp

@Aldryic said: Aaah, thank you for reminding me of that. This specific clause is exactly what made me search elsewhere for a UK presence.

I don't know how exactly works elsewhere, but usually when a company is bought any contractual obligation/right is transferred to the acquiring party (think for example when Oracle acquired SUN, to name a big one takeover, all SUN services were transferred to Oracle without asking the customer base).

This is because on the vps page you state that different plans get different hardware
    (single, dual, quad), so at some point in the past this was what you did ;)

Yes, as it allowed us to use stock-control to limit the number of clients for each plan-size - that's a long since replaced methodology though - the site will get updated eventually.

we use some old StorageTek 6130/6140 for fiber channel and
    2 Coraid SRX 3200 + 2 VSX 2500 using ata over ethernet.

Never used the Sun StorageTek kit, but do recall racking some up for a client - ISTR they weighed the same as concrete blocks!

• @prometeus said: I don't know how exactly works elsewhere, but usually when a company is bought any contractual obligation/right is transferred to the acquiring party (think for example when Oracle acquired SUN, to name a big one takeover, all SUN services were transferred to Oracle without asking the customer base).

Here, at least, the 'takeover/merger' must be announced in advance first, and people with current listed information have the option to have their contracts nulled and data removed before the DBs change hands.

Personally, I would be rather pissed if I woke up to see "I can see your PayPal information" from some random online forum user that I've never met.

@Aldryic said: Here, at least, the 'takeover/merger' must be announced in advance first, and people with current listed information have the option to have their contracts nulled and data removed before the DBs change hands.

They were obliged because of antitrust and stock exchange rules. But you see private company bought overnight (i.e. think at most google/apple/etc. shopping) with an annunce to the world the day after the completation.

• Aye, that's why I'm highly selective about who I trust my information with. It still remains to be seen whether I'll be making a housecall to the UK over the dmbhosting situation.

• JacobJacob Member

@Aldryic I dont see how or why the UK Gov would try to "eliminate" your information. Anyway your russian, You should have sniper towers at your home and a chamber full of loaded .50 Cal guns and AK47's. Be a true russian like FPSRussia.

• @Jacob said: I dont see how or why the UK Gov would try to "eliminate" your information.

Err, what?

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

I was referring to you making a call, There wouldn't be much they could do in terms of them contacting them to destroy your private information or if they would even do anything.

• I wouldn't be making a visit to Parliament. You said it yourself, Я русский, you know how we get things done :3

• @Aldryic said: Я русский

whats that mean?

• @Aldryic said: @Steve81 said: What combination do you pick?

We picked 'none of the above', and it's been insanely successful for us.

@Aldryic: ofc I was joiking. I think too that the @othelloRob definition is quite offensive, for LEB providers.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited April 2012

@Daniel said: whats that mean?

"I am Russian".

@Steve81 said: @Aldryic: ofc I was joiking. I think too that the @othelloRob definition is quite offensive, for LEB providers.

Oh, I know... my dig was at him, not your comment :P

• JacobJacob Member

@Aldryic I imagine that is pretty hard to pronounce?

• Ya Ruskii

• @Aldryic said: "I am Russian".

didnt know you where russian.

Привет из Англии: D

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Steve81 said: @othelloRob said: The only way I can see the LEB concept being viable is some combination of

• overselling - which we dont do on any current service at any stage
    • low-priced hardware - which IMHO is a false economy in the long term
    • cash-and-run never planning to keep the service going - not an option
    • nulled scripts and hacked licences - not an option
    • compromises on design - local disks not SAN storage, more memory and less cpu %age than the vds/cloud ranges

What combination do you pick?

We don't run the E3s or i7s so I guess we fall under the "low-priced hardware" if you consider $300/SAS drive low priced...

• JacobJacob Member
    edited April 2012

@KuJoe That guys too far up his own ass, I have used Samsung HD103SJ / UJ drives in the first UK node build because they are Quite Fast and Inexpensive, So far they have been very reliable and even when racked the I/O Speeds sustained at 92MB/s on a RAID 1 Setup.

SAS Drives are defiantely the way forward(for now atleast), SSDs are prone to failure and much more expensive per GB.