Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostaris | Under new management - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostaris | Under new management

Comments

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 29

@totally_not_banned said: i'd say the admins are pretty trustworthy

@Arkas is prem

Honestly from my limited online experience a really good person

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • hostarishostaris Member

@Maelstrom36 said:

@emgh said:

@hostaris said: a community Ellis despises

Nah, he keeps coming back to scam. That's what he's doing here. Nothing to despise from his side.

Most of this forum's members, on the other hand, very much despise Ellis as a person.

According to what I've read on some of these threads about Hostaris and their new management, in the eyes of the forum, you're a suspected puppet for Ellis, who happens to be a scammer. This is also taking into account your ties and your recent employment under him.

Well, there's a reason why I don't work with him anymore. I said it jn some DMS but I guess ill just say it here. I was supposed to start working for Ellis as a DC technician, but because he was always away and he was never there to onboard me, though I had "already got the job Alex" I never got onboarded. So the employment ended when I told him to go fuck himself.

@totally_not_banned said:

@hostaris said:

@emgh said:

@emgh said:

@hostaris said:

@emgh said:

@hostaris said:

@zidit said:
    I am old custormer of hostaris.

Now hostaris.com is inaccessible. All server seems down

I do not receive any refund so how to request it. What is your billing system url??

We have updated time and time again, and we have said here, that we are going to switch to a new billing system, WHMCS. Because currently billing is just an SL database

Also we are aware of the website being down, we are working on getting it up. If you have any issues, please open a ticket instead of publicly venting on a forum. We can't help you this way because we have too little information

😂

If you think I'm joking I'm actually serious. The old system was just an SQL database. No panel, no nothing, just a db with all payment infos

Sucks that we won't be getting any trustworthy background information. I'd actually somewhat root for you given the proportions of the uphill battle you are facing are pretty much off the charts but guys like that Ellis person have a tendency to always creep back and i sure as hell don't want to accidentally support him.

Meh, as long as he promises to stop scamming people out of their savings I don't see an issue.

He = Ellis or he = OP? For this Ellis dude i see very little hope when i think for example of those "Thanks for the payment" screenshots but OP really doesn't seem like much of a schemer. Maybe hiding some info here or there for this or that reason and somewhat naive but not a schemer. The problem lies mostly in the last part and the fact that i feel he might get sucked in again.

I agree 100 %. I meant Ellis.

I agree as well
    I'd have an AMA but I feel like this forum has already made up their mind by removing my selling rights. Boo hoo, I forgot to change a password on an account of a community Ellis despises.

Just an idea but given you are a business owner now it seems like it might be time to fill that role and do some formal representation of your company. Not some Discord style chit chat but a serious, well thought out and clear appeal. Make a plan and try to understand them a little too. If things go sideways they are sure to get shit over allowing you to stay active, so give them some kind of reassurance that this won't happen.

I think I have said it a dozen times already that's the plan. There's a reason why we are getting WHMCS and a support system that isn't on discord, so we don't have to be the discord kiddies. I have said a plan going forward in this very thread but people arent addressing it, just going on about me being an Ellis boy toy

Yes, we have a clear plan in mind, but Rome wasn't built in a day and I can't undo what the old management did in 6/7 months

Thanked by 1amaeva080
  • ziditzidit Member

Just a question.

Will you keep continue the old service? (The service I have been paid yearly)

Or I need to request refund and signup new one?

• @hostaris said: Rome wasn't built in a day

But out of no where one day you decided to buy Hostaris from your ex-employer :)

• cybertechcybertech Member

@hostaris if we chargeback now, is it sent to the previous owner? i mean he basically ran after promising whatever he did on the last promo.

@zidit said:
    Just a question.

Will you keep continue the old service? (The service I have been paid yearly)

Or I need to request refund and signup new one?

I don't have an answer to that now. The way I see it is no customer will have to pay for their service again, just everything will be done on a different, better billing panel. I can't guarantee that, just say that I'm 99% sure of it

@cybertech said:
    @hostaris if we chargeback now, is it sent to the previous owner? i mean he basically ran after promising whatever he did on the last promo.

We will honor the promos the old owners requested. We have been upgrading people's servers and honoring the promises, even if we aren't profiting from them

@Maelstrom36 said:

@hostaris said: Rome wasn't built in a day

But out of no where one day you decided to buy Hostaris from your ex-employer :)

Well yes
    We were on neutral speaking terms

• @cybertech said:

Right on time. I've been meaning to ask this but it kept slipping my mind. I'm sure it's somewhere on this forum but how did it get into the hands of Ellis from the previous owner?

• edited May 29

@hostaris said:

Just an idea but given you are a business owner now it seems like it might be time to fill that role and do some formal representation of your company. Not some Discord style chit chat but a serious, well thought out and clear appeal. Make a plan and try to understand them a little too. If things go sideways they are sure to get shit over allowing you to stay active, so give them some kind of reassurance that this won't happen.

I think I have said it a dozen times already that's the plan. There's a reason why we are getting WHMCS and a support system that isn't on discord, so we don't have to be the discord kiddies. I have said a plan going forward in this very thread but people arent addressing it, just going on about me being an Ellis boy toy

You don't seem to understand what i mean. What i'm getting at is giving the admins a fully coherent rundown of the situation and how it emerged sans the question marks and contradictions. While having WHMCS will surely increase the seriousness of the public image of your company it won't do much about the other suspicions. That's pretty much why people keep coming back to it.

Yes, we have a clear plan in mind, but Rome wasn't built in a day and I can't undo what the old management did in 6/7 months

Trying to gain a more positive reputation is obviously not wrong but from a business standpoint you first and foremost want to be able to operate (how are you going to present your improvements anyways if you can't?) and for this what counts is the opinion of the people in charge not what joe schmuk posts in your thread. You are a business owner not some random dude shitposting his life away. As much as a familial attitude is commendable there is times when you should recognize that you aren't just an equal among equals and act accordingly.

• emghemgh Member

@hostaris do you mind sharing numbers of the business? I'd love:

• Number of active clients (with at least 1 active service that isn't scheduled for termination)
    • Number of active servers
    • Number of hypervisors
    • MRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue)
    • MRR from new orders (monthly recurring revenue generated from orders from newly registered clients without prior services)
    • Monthly operating expenses
    • Timeframe to profitability if MRR is currently less than monthly operating expenses
    • Historical burn rate of VPS services

I don't feel entitled to the above, you don't have to provide it, you can provide 1 of the above and skip 7 of them, you can also respond in a DM if you can answer all or a few or even 1 of the questions and don't want it public.

I understand I'm probably doing more due diligence here than what was made when you bought the damn company (not trying to start something, but it kind of seems that way), but it would be very interesting to get a more clear picture on the size of this business.

I mean, the amount it sold for is already leaked and is probably worse to spread around than any of the metrics above...

• emghemgh Member

Also, how's your experience as a Linux system administrator? You don't seem to know that much about managing a business, but maybe you're good with the tech side of things?

• malignifymalignify Member

Answers to business related questions might be delayed because he's just 'Operations Manager' so he needs to get answers from his boss first :D

@emgh said:
    @hostaris do you mind sharing numbers of the business? I'd love:

Yes, I have no issue providing the public available info, however I would like to keep the private info private

• Number of active clients (with at least 1 active service that isn't scheduled for termination)

150 on panel

• Number of active servers

We have 260 active VPS, Running on 4 nodes. We have bought 7 new dedicated servers, 3 Ryzen 9 7900, 3 AMD Epyc 7702 and 1 dual xeon

• Number of hypervisors

5, we will be upgrading them to 40 Gbps hypervisors

• MRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue)

I'll keep this private for the time being

• MRR from new orders (monthly recurring revenue generated from orders from newly registered clients without prior services)

I'll keep it private

• Monthly operating expenses

Private

• Timeframe to profitability if MRR is currently less than monthly operating expenses

We are at net 0. We aren't profiting but the revenue is covering the expenses

• Historical burn rate of VPS services

I'll keep this private for the time being

I don't feel entitled to the above, you don't have to provide it, you can provide 1 of the above and skip 7 of them, you can also respond in a DM if you can answer all or a few or even 1 of the questions and don't want it public.

I understand I'm probably doing more due diligence here than what was made when you bought the damn company (not trying to start something, but it kind of seems that way), but it would be very interesting to get a more clear picture on the size of this business.

I made due diligence but when buying the service a lot of services weren't transferred and some aren't still in our possession, for example the website files

I mean, the amount it sold for is already leaked and is probably worse to spread around than any of the metrics above...

If you ask me, the amount i bought it for is a good amount for something with a good prospect

Thanked by 3maverick emgh hsr
  • AndruAndru Member

@hostaris said:

@cybertech said:

We will honor the promos the old owners requested. We have been upgrading people's servers and honoring the promises, even if we aren't profiting from them

He was questioning about chargeback..

@Andru said:

@hostaris said:

@cybertech said:

Yes, they go the old owners. We have new billing accounts

@emgh said:
    Also, how's your experience as a Linux system administrator? You don't seem to know that much about managing a business, but maybe you're good with the tech side of things?

Pretty decent. And define no experience
    I ran Argon as a side project but I've managed startups in the past, mainly talking to customers and being the man for investors

@hostaris said: being the man for investors

Like Ellis? :D

@malignify said:

I'm all for shitposting, but one time everyone laughs, 2 times it's not as funny, 3 times it's just annoying

@hostaris said:

@malignify said:

I'm all for shitposting, but one time everyone laughs, 2 times it's not as funny, 3 times it's just annoying

Thx for your feedback.

• cybertechcybertech Member

@hostaris said:

@Andru said:

@hostaris said:

@cybertech said:

Yes, they go the old owners. We have new billing accounts

this is gonna be fun!

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

He didn't provide the website files??

Since you talked about a panel, do you just mean the frontend?

If so, maybe point the DNS back, hope it's still up and rip it?

• @emgh said:

Or scrape it from archive.org. They took a snapshot like a week ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20240518130427/https://hostaris.com/

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Though I suspect this question has already been asked somewhere some time before, and without delving into past discussions to look for the answer, how did Hostaris end up with Ellis? Did the previous owner, whoever it was, suddenly and spontaneously decided to sell the business to Ellis?

• joshmjoshm Member

@Maelstrom36 said:
    Though I suspect this question has already been asked somewhere some time before, and without delving into past discussions to look for the answer, how did Hostaris end up with Ellis? Did the previous owner, whoever it was, suddenly and spontaneously decided to sell the business to Ellis?

Prev director here. Ellis reached out expressing interest to buy us out. I was in a shitty situation personally and Samuel wasn't really chipping in where he should've - so I was somewhat desperate to get the company off my hands; people were getting annoyed and underlying issues with the business made simple tasks such as refunds quite the job. I simply didn't have the time to give the company the care it deserved anymore.

Ellis offered to buy us out on decent terms with a decent payout and we took it. I knew from previous dealings with him and his reputation that we should be cautious with him, and we were. He had the financial backing and manpower that the company needed to survive, and quite frankly I don't think the company would've lasted much longer under the hands of me and Sam.

I'd like to express my utmost apologies to my ex-customers for the appalling support & lack of attention and I hope that Alex is able to turn the business around as I didn't want to see a reenactment of KUBBUR.

• kaitkait Member

@joshm said: I didn't want to see a reenactment of KUBBUR

I have bad news for you bud.

• @joshm said:

@Maelstrom36 said:
    Though I suspect this question has already been asked somewhere some time before, and without delving into past discussions to look for the answer, how did Hostaris end up with Ellis? Did the previous owner, whoever it was, suddenly and spontaneously decided to sell the business to Ellis?

Prev director here. Ellis reached out expressing interest to buy us out. I was in a shitty situation personally and Samuel wasn't really chipping in where he should've - so I was somewhat desperate to get the company off my hands; people were getting annoyed and underlying issues with the business made simple tasks such as refunds quite the job. I simply didn't have the time to give the company the care it deserved anymore.

Ellis offered to buy us out on decent terms with a decent payout and we took it. I knew from previous dealings with him and his reputation that we should be cautious with him, and we were. He had the financial backing and manpower that the company needed to survive, and quite frankly I don't think the company would've lasted much longer under the hands of me and Sam.

I'd like to express my utmost apologies to my ex-customers for the appalling support & lack of attention and I hope that Alex is able to turn the business around as I didn't want to see a reenactment of KUBBUR.

I believe the part where Ellis offered to buy, and eventually bought, but I don't believe it was apparently sold to this Alex person :)

• joshmjoshm Member
    edited May 29

@emgh said:

They asked for said files at 00:30AM today, and thought I was an owl.

Chargebacks/Refunds are not coming back to us either... I'm not sure where that information came from.

• @joshm said: manpower

Out of curiosity, how big is his team?

• @joshm said:

@emgh said:

They asked for said files at 00:30AM today, and thought I was an owl.

Chargebacks/Refunds are not coming back to us either... I'm not sure where that information came from.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3964096/#Comment_3964096