Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting Forum For Sale 🔥 - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting Forum For Sale 🔥

Comments

• @yoursunny said:
    How do you explain "my" account has zero visits and zero threads and zero comments?

Your's was my fault, you were quoted and referenced by name which I created to go with your quote. The article was attributed to your blog.

I've now edited that out and if you want the quote from your blog deleted let me know.

https://hostboards.com/discussion/5183/how-to-host-a-website-in-oracle-cloud-free-tier#Comment_28766

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@FrankZ said:

@CheepCluck said: Everyone, put your LET username on there, and see if you had an honorary account made. 😂

Yep, I'm there too. As others have said, I've never registered on either of those mentioned forums.
    So it appears someone might be up to some skullduggery.

I messaged you a screenshot of the profile and email, let me know if it's you.

Several have asked for the profile info, so far none of the emails have matched up so it's a similar name, not you. With 3.7 million users over 18 years, every conceivable username is likely taken.

I suspect some have signed up & forgotten.

Well it appears that it was not me after all as it was not my email.
    Since I am not a potential buyer anyway I'll just back out of your thread and let you have at it.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

How many more excuses do you want to give? :)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@jbiloh said:
    So did they scrape lowendtalk's users?

Sigh...

Can you blame him for wanting to make money? I know people who know people who can buy communities without their consent, then ask for money over special tags afterwards. Comparing to this, what is a scrapper who scans for some text usernames and tries to sell it all for SEO.

• @Offshore_Solutions said: Your's was my fault, you were quoted and referenced by name which I created to go with your quote. The article was attributed to your blog.

😂 How do you even come up with this?

• edited November 2022

@CheepCluck said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Your's was my fault, you were quoted and referenced by name which I created to go with your quote. The article was attributed to your blog.

😂 How do you even come up with this?

Read it yourself, his blog was quoted in February, I don't have a time machine that can recreate that:
    https://hostboards.com/discussion/5183/how-to-host-a-website-in-oracle-cloud-free-tier#Comment_28766

• So inorder to post someones scraped tutorial on your board, you need to make them an account with their scraped username. 🤡

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • @CheepCluck said:
    So inorder to post someones scraped tutorial on your board, you need to make them an account with their scraped username. 🤡

It's a normal cut & paste the way most quotes are done. His blog was attributed & linked the proper way. I've hired several people to work on my forum and combine the 2 forums together, but I've never scraped anything.

• I just dont understand it, why do you need to make them account on your board for a tutorial thats just copy pasta'd by another user? The logic is missing here.
    Do you need to hire someone to help you stitch up some better excuses? I'm available.

Thanked by 3SinV bulbasaur kheng86
  • @CheepCluck said: Do you need to hire someone to help you stitch up some better excuses? I'm available.

Too late for that now. Unlike us you will need to register account by yourself.

Thanked by 1CheepCluck
  • edited November 2022

@CheepCluck said:
    I just dont understand it, why do you need to make them account on your board for a tutorial thats just copy pasta'd by another?

It was much more than that. I bumped into Yoursunny's post on a different forum where we were both listing our favorite webmaster forums. The question was something like, "What webmaster forums do you visit most."

From his reply, i checked out his blog. I was so impressed, I sent him a private message on that forum to see if I could hire him as a content writer. He never replied.

I will have to find that message I sent him, it was not on LET. I explained about my forum and set him up in case he wanted to take me up on my offer.

• @CheepCluck said:
    Do you need to hire someone to help you stitch up some better excuses? I'm available.

Is this allowed? I know this is not stated in the ethics of LET rules, but it might be somewhere in a grey area within the Golden Rule of LET. I believe one may accept bending potentially implied rules, if the reward is high.

• lmao ok

• @Offshore_Solutions said: From his reply, i checked out his blog. I was so impressed, I sent him a private message on that forum to see if I could hire him as a content writer. He never replied.

So what about @angstrom ? Do they have a blog or is it something else this time?

• @ralf said:

@Liso said:
    Op can you explain why some of let account appear in your forum?

You have one too!

Maybe it's just to "ease the transition" from LET to whatever this was called.

Ye, he actually added email to my account there— except that wasn't the email I registered here.

Also OP seems to lurk here more than in his own forum, I wonder why so...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • edited November 2022

@CheepCluck said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: From his reply, i checked out his blog. I was so impressed, I sent him a private message on that forum to see if I could hire him as a content writer. He never replied.

So what about @angstrom ? Do they have a blog or is it something else this time?

Angstrom or anyone can tell me to send them a screenshot of the email on file. So far, no matches.

@Liso said:
    Ye, he actually added email to my account there— except that wasn't the email I registered here.

Nothing added, that's what's in the database for "Liso" which is a common 4 letter username. Checkmark for "show email"

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

The amount of lies here are insane.

• @FAT32 said:

Not a single lie.

• What about @Francisco (https://hostboards.com/profile/Francisco)
    Wait, i suppose that could just be anyone
    How about @Farkass (https://hostboards.com/profile/Farkass)
    @Arkas (https://hostboards.com/profile/arkas)
    @trewq (https://hostboards.com/profile/trewq)
    I suppose it's just anybody with the 3.7M registered users that never logged in. But odd I can just pull up a random user here, and find them there. 🤔

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited November 2022

It shows none of those users having a registration date, ever logging in or posting anything

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@CheepCluck said:
    What about @Francisco (https://hostboards.com/profile/Francisco)
    Wait, i suppose that could just be anyone
    How about @Farkass (https://hostboards.com/profile/Farkass)
    @Arkas (https://hostboards.com/profile/arkas)
    @trewq (https://hostboards.com/profile/trewq)
    I suppose it's just anybody with the 3.7M registered users that never logged in. But odd I can just pull up a random user here, and find them there. 🤔

I’ve never signed up for this site. They also don’t appear to be holding an email address for “my” account.

Thanked by 1SinV
  • edited November 2022

@corbpie said:
    It shows none of those users having a registration date, ever logging in or posting anything

Asked & answered:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@corbpie said:
    Whats up with those users ^ no join date, last visit or activity... Did they create the accounts themselves or did the admin?

I combined several separate forums (HostBoards.com, WebmasterPost.com, etc, into one forum & transfered all users from vBulletin to Vanilla forum software.
    Recovered the database as much as possible after the hack.

When people are old like me, it's not easy to remember every detail of combination added to a forum over 18 years. That's a long time!

Along the way, there was at least 2 other vBulletin forums I purchased & added to HostBoards but I'm trying to remember. One was called ComputeForum.com & you can see it on Archive.org:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20070322223823/http://www.computeforum.com/

The other forum was a domain/webmaster forum. I'm guessing that an old scraping of users from LET could have been added by the sellers of one of those forums I purchased & combined with Hostboards. The sellers never admitted to anything like that, but some sellers were kids who may have been shady.

This is a guess. I don't have the know-how to combine databases, much less scrape usernames. I don't even understand why a usernames from LET without the corresponding emails would help anyone. I've never scraped anything to add to Hostboards & I've always had to hire developers to combine databases, recover from hacks, & switch to Vanilla.

I've sent many mass emails to the users of Hostboards & no one from LET has ever told me they received an email or asked how they got added. That means the emails from LET don't exist in the database.

• @Offshore_Solutions said:

@FAT32 said:

Not a single lie.

😆
    I think I can agree with this. Seems like we got 3.7M of them.

@trewq said:
    I’ve never signed up for this site. They also don’t appear to be holding an email address for “my” account.

Do you happen to have a blog that they copypasta'd to the site? Apparently that entices an account to be made.

• mzltestmzltest Member
    edited November 2022

Total Registered Users: 3.7M
    Total Topics: 5.4K

So roughly that's ~0.008 posts per user.
    P4V has ~15.3 posts/user, and webhostingtalk has ~16.8,I can't find statistics in LET but that's probably 10+ too.

Your statistics is not convincing for community engagement.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited November 2022

I mean folks, we all know that forum's not worth much. The activity is not there and there's really no major value to the site itself (sorry, but there's like no activity on it).

When I was writing research-focused posts on vpsB and other sites I would regularly get my posts lifted and posted on SEO sites regularly. My DO/Vultr/Linode comparison article starting from hardware performance snapshots to network comparison with mapping? Yeah someone later took it and once I bitched they wrote "Source: vpsBoard" (no actual link either). Other similar articles and "current state of the market" notes (that were published in various locations) got some lifting here and there.

People are shitty. At the end of the day that's that. Shit happens. People are dicks. It's not worth doing business with people who are dicks. Part of this also is why I partner with folks or have actual clients pay decent for research now that remains their internal intelligence. Free work and insights for publications like a forum are... ehh...

That forum doesn't have any impressive statistics. I'd pay 150 dollars for it because lol. I'd blow 150 dollars on stupid shit for fun.

• out of Total Registered Users: 3.7M how many are active in the year 2022, that is logged in and made at least 1 post or 1 comment? Because that would be the real "active" users who are going to see ads, and click them and bring in page impressions. This is what a buyer would be interested in. Also why not try to sell on Flippa too?

• edited November 2022

@trewq said:

@JasonM said:
    out of Total Registered Users: 3.7M how many are active in the year 2022, that is logged in and made at least 1 post or 1 comment? Because that would be the real "active" users who are going to see ads, and click them and bring in page impressions. This is what a buyer would be interested in. Also why not try to sell on Flippa too?

I agree, I do believe $5K is cheap for a forum with this many posts but LET is the wrong place to sell it. The value is not in the users but in the content and domain. It's deathly-hard to get a forum going from scratch.

Just the domain "Hostboards.com" cost me $1,000 approximately 10 years ago (all by itself) but that value would never be appreciated here. As others suggested, I'll try to sell it elsewhere.

Before Jon put lots of hardwork in, LET was in pretty rough shape too with the drama of the LES split (and 4 other forums splitting off like VPSBoard). He was the right guy to turn it around & that's what HostBoards needs, the right person.

• It is not lie, just untold truth. OP, close this thread, you are done.

• @LTniger said:
    It is not lie, just untold truth. OP, close this thread, you are done.

Not a single lie, just drama seekers trying to make it so.

• 🙄 yeah okay - just go scrape more users and bolster up those numbers.