Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

Wanna see what they gonna do with all of these, could be fun too

+10TB/sec (in total) of traffic

https://yui.cat/as/AS24940/

• NirvanaNirvana Member
    edited July 2022

@rustelekom said:
    Wow, I feel like I'm back in the year 2000. The old argument about unlimited traffic, disk, memory, and other unlimited nonsense. You can't have anything unlimited, people. Even the universe has a limit:)

Yawn. "unlimited" in marketing language = "no hard/artificial limit enforced"

There can of course still be limits set by natural factors or reasonable use.

In legal terms, it depends on the type of product and what the average customer will understand by it.

If you book a rental car with unlimited mileage it means there won't be extra charges if you take a very long trip. It doesn't mean that your mileage is indeed unlimited.

If you advertise a server with "unlimited traffic", it should typically mean that any traffic is unmetered and you can put through as much as the (shared) port allows (the average user might expect not be able to use the 1 Gbit/s all the time, but not get charged or cancelled for "over-usage").

By the way, contract law is one thing, competition/customer law is another (and this surely can be taken as misleading advertisement).

Thanked by 2xrz sliix
  • mwtmwt Member

People who see this as ok are missing the fact that an unlimited service was falsely advertised. You can't provide a service, collect payment for it, and then block all customers who try to use it.

Again, say I provide 2TB of storage space for $10/month. I know that most users will take years to fill this space. Almost no one will fill it in the first month. Is it permissible for me to cancel the service of anyone who uses over 500 GB? If I do that, I can provide less than 1/4 of what I promised and charge the full price for months beforehand.

The same is true of traffic. You choose a provider with unlimited bandwidth because you think your site might eventually get a lot of traffic. Then, when you get the traffic, the provider decides that it doesn't really want to give you bandwidth that you've been paying months for.

It's common to get a service that provides more than we need right now because there's some cost or effort involved in changing it in the future. If the services that we pay for are not really being provided, then we have been defrauded.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2022

I wonder if @Mevspace is real 1G Unmetered

Could be a good alternative for anyone who wants to move away from Hetzner and is currently pushing a lot of bandwidth

Thanked by 1xrz
  • ralfralf Member

@mwt said:
    Again, say I provide 2TB of storage space for $10/month. I know that most users will take years to fill this space. Almost no one will fill it in the first month. Is it permissible for me to cancel the service of anyone who uses over 500 GB? If I do that, I can provide less than 1/4 of what I promised and charge the full price for months beforehand.

Yes, that would be permitted in law. If you have a contract for a month, either side can walk away after a month.

Having terms that are fair to both sides is a pretty core doctrine in contract law. An example: an employment contract cannot require a longer notice period from the employee than they must give to resign. Usually when these are different it actually invalidates that clause of the contract.

The email from Hetzner is simply informing people of their wish to terminate the relationship instead of renewing for customers who use resources far in excess of the average. Whilst this might not seem fair to you, it is perfectly legal.

• Re: contract vs misleading marketing.

If a product claims to be Unlimited and Guaranteed traffic at 1Gbit/s without FUP (as the case with Hetzner) and you threaten to cancel contracts for using what you paid for that means every contract signed was done under misleading marketing as the provider is showing they are not willing to uphold their side of the deal.

The 250TB per month limit is never communicated in the marketing material. That is what makes it misleading.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • mwtmwt Member
    edited July 2022

@ralf said:

@mwt said:

Yes, that would be permitted in law. If you have a contract for a month, either side can walk away after a month.

Having terms that are fair to both sides is a pretty core doctrine in contract law. An example: an employment contract cannot require a longer notice period from the employee than they must give to resign. Usually when these are different it actually invalidates that clause of the contract.

The email from Hetzner is simply informing people of their wish to terminate the relationship instead of renewing for customers who use resources far in excess of the average. Whilst this might not seem fair to you, it is perfectly legal.

No. The contacts are not symmetric by law. For example, employees can quit for any reason. Companies have many rules that they must follow when terminating an employee. Tenancy, banking, and other consumer services are also deeply asymmetric.

I'm kind of confused by "An example: an employment contract cannot require a longer notice period from the employee than they must give to resign." What country are you talking about? You do not need to give notice to resign in the US. No contact can force you to work against your will. Obviously, terms don't need to be equal either. Medical tenure is a lifetime commitment for a hospital but it involves no commitment from the doctor.

Hetzner can probably get away with something like this. A company the size of AT&T would not.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2022

nothing wrong if hetzner decides to give (advance) notice that they cannot provide service after 30 days contract ends.

but misrepresenting and using 250TB as a reason to terminate when advertised as guaranteed 1gbps, unlimited BW, no fair use clause in TOS, thats problem.

either way OP should already be looking to move out as for whatever reason they can refuse to continue and thats legal.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@cybertech said: they can refuse to continue

no need to refuse, we already moving out.

and we are not alone who got this mail (and thats just here on let, there must be pretty much more people out there) -
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3460006/#Comment_3460006
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3460064/#Comment_3460064

and now imagine if they lower the "limit" again and again and again...

Thanked by 2cybertech dystopia
  • ralfralf Member

@mwt said:

Having terms that are fair to both sides is a pretty core doctrine in contract law.

No. The contacts are not symmetric by law. For example, employees can quit for any reason. Companies have many rules that they must follow when terminating an employee. Tenancy, banking, and other consumer services are also deeply asymmetric.

Fair, not symmetric. But yes, employees are usually given extra protection by employment law in most countries.

I'm kind of confused by "An example: an employment contract cannot require a longer notice period from the employee than they must give to resign." What country are you talking about? You do not need to give notice to resign in the US. No contact can force you to work against your will. Notice and severance pay is binding for the firm however.

I'm talking about the UK, but actually most countries are the same. In the US, most lower level jobs specify "at will" in the contract, which means either party can terminate with no notice, however even within more senior and management roles you will probably find most contracts have a notice period in terms of months, even in the US. At least, my sample size of 1 FAANG when they wanted me to move to the US was that way.

You're right in a sense that nobody can force you to work. However, they can instead sue you for damages if you choose to not work out a contractually agreed notice period. In practice, few companies do enforce a notice period, because a disgruntled employee has the potential to do more harm to the company if they're working there when they don't want to be there than if they're just released from the contract early. They could choose to enforce the contract, though, and you'd see this a lot more in entertainment, e.g. actors, musicians or TV hosts.

• mwtmwt Member

@ralf said:
    You're right in a sense that nobody can force you to work. However, they can instead sue you for damages if you choose to not work out a contractually agreed notice period. In practice, few companies do enforce a notice period, because a disgruntled employee has the potential to do more harm to the company if they're working there when they don't want to be there than if they're just released from the contract early. They could choose to enforce the contract, though, and you'd see this a lot more in entertainment, e.g. actors, musicians or TV hosts.

That's true. I always thought that these contacts could bind you to continue employment but not actually work. I could strike by myself for example. Though, I guess there's no reason that a contract couldn't require me to fulfill some responsibilities and clearly these entertainment ones do. I feel like the responsibilities should be specified though.

I imagine your faang employer couldn't add dangerous manual labor to your list of duties and then sue you when it didn't get done during your notice period.

At the same time, it seems too difficult to specify the actual responsibilities of a manager in a contract.

It's an interesting thing to think about.

• ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

@mwt said:
    I could strike by myself for example.

Whilst in colloquial speech you could, strike action is actually legally protected but it can only be done if you are a member of a union and they call the strike action. You can't even join the strike if there are several unions but yours chooses not to join the strike. In the UK, for instance, you can be protected from dismissal for up to 6 months during strike action.

On the flip side, employers don't have to pay you during a strike action, and usually don't because they are usually called to force the employer's hand during group pay negotiations. And if your union calls a strike, you're expected to join in, even if you can't afford to lose the pay. You're likely to be expelled from your union if you went into work anyway.

• ralfralf Member

@mwt said:
    I imagine your faang employer couldn't add dangerous manual labor to your list of duties and then sue you when it didn't get done during your notice period.

Absolutely not. If they substantively changed the nature of the work you were required to do, they'd have to get you to agree to it by signing a new contract. Obviously, if you were leaving anyway you wouldn't sign it.

At the same time, it seems too difficult to specify the actual responsibilities of a manager in a contract.

True, and overly broad phrases like "whatever the company requires" would probably get thrown out as being invalid if a contract dispute got as far as a court.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2022

I wonder whether we can reach page 9 in trying to explain this paradox of why/how unlimited != unlimited

• defaultdefault Veteran

A product or service must be provided as advertised. If it's advertised as unlimited, then so it must be. The "unlimited" is already actually limited by technical information like gigabit bandwidth and by time (monthly), but adding further limitations which were not advertised, means the service provided is a lie and is not the same service which was initially advertised and paid for.

Hetzner in this case is exposed and can be taken to court.

Thanked by 4kasodk 0xbkt dosai xms
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2022

I couldn't be arsed to read this entire thread of 'injustice'. lol

The real question I have is , where exactly is OP rage-quitting and taking his 'valuable business' that gives even half of 250TB/mo for the same price (Auction skylake servers start at just 28.70 euro/m)

EDIT: That said, I thank OP on behalf of the community for inadvertently performing a data transfer stress test. The devil always needs his little helpers.

Here's an NFT of the internet : 💻🕸💻

Thanked by 1sliix
  • Unlimited means, its ok, if you use a bit more a month, but can't be more and more every month. They can strictly block you, because it isnt meant, to use the 1g line 24/7, even if its possible.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@ascicode said:
    Unlimited means, its ok, if you use a bit more a month, but can't be more and more every month. They can strictly block you, because it isnt meant, to use the 1g line 24/7, even if its possible.

Where is this stipulated?

• ralfralf Member

Thanked by 2angstrom Arkas
  • @Ympker said:

@jar said:
    Unlimited means more, to more people, than a defined limit does. I've come to accept and embrace this fact. Unlimited will gain me 10,000 customers who have no issue with it and 1 who does. Therefore, the 1 is the outlier and not the one to base all decision making on.

I'll tell you how this correlates to my experience if interested:

I sell email hosting for unlimited domains. There is no unlimited domains. A server cannot hold an infinite number, it will fall for one reason or another at some number.

Now my customers they don't want limits on that feature. They don't know how many they might add over time, they don't want to think about how many they need. They like not having to think about it, and almost every single one of them will never have to.

Then, one customer added 12,000 domains and the Apache includes took too long to reload, causing systemd to time out trying to reload the service, causing webmail to fall over every time someone added a domain on a server. I refunded the user and gave them as much time as I could to move out. Now, do I punish every user moving forward by forcing them to consider a number that they don't want to think about? Or do I simply and kindly refund the extremely rare outlier?

You might just say "just say the limit is 11,999" but what if that isn't always the limit? Today, I'm already ready for that 12k domain customer again, that's a solved problem. New processes, upgraded hardware, things are always improving. So no, I think I'll not state the limit as that. I think I'll try to accommodate anyone and when I have to give up on being able to accommodate someone, I'll apologize for failing them and refund them.

There are many considerations around this topic, but the provider should be making policy that satisfies the majority of their customers.

That's very much why I keep saying that I will continue to consider Shared Hosting/WordPress Hosting Providers who advertise "unlimited" SSD Disk Space. Not because I think that there is infinite SSD Space on their drives but rather because I believe they follow a similar mindset to yours. I imagine many web hosting clients, my web design clients included, just feel better if they won't have to worry about the disk usage. For the record, I also prefer this rather than a fixed number. It's just peace of mind imho. If you don't intentionally abuse such gernous offers, or just use too much disk space to the extent that the host contacts you about alternative solutions, it's a model that works perfectly fine. Some clients may get nervous when there is any number limit for disk space (usually not so tech-savy clients). Say, there's a limit of 1GB. Many of us know that with that amount of disk space you could host many many different (static) websites. Clients who are not so tech savy, however, start worrying whether they'll reach such limit and it might drive them away. We are all getting used to flatrate/"unlimited" everything. Unlimited text/calls for mobile phone, Unlimited Traffic for Home/Cable Internet, unlimited shows you can watch on Netflix/Disney whatever when you pay for a sub, free refills in some (fast food) restaurants, XBOX Games Sub..

Tl;dr: I can very well understand why @jar and other providers would offer "unlimited" even if it isn't really unlimited/infinite. Yet, in case of vps traffic, people would probably be happier with a fixed "unmetered" bw (e.g. 100 Mbit/s that can be actually used 24/7; especially of it's a dedicated server).

Reason and common sense (from the both of you)?!
    :)

With my current reseller hosting provider, that practically offers "unlimited" storage (pay-per-use), I directly asked what the reasonable limit is, to know how to plan. Is it 20 GB, 50 GB, 150 GB, or more. Got a reply that some customers use 300+ GB without problems.

My conclusion is that anything reasonable will fit, while I'll look for cusomt solutions for anything "exotic."

Now, I don't know what OP's use case is, but it's probably a good idea to look for a custom solution. Doesn't 250 TB per month, from month-to-month, sound like a lot, even for a dedicated server? Or is that usual?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2022

So my next question is whether it's also the case that (unlimited ÷ 2) != (unlimited ÷ 2) holds

• mwtmwt Member

@bikegremlin said:
    My conclusion is that anything reasonable will fit, while I'll look for cusomt solutions for anything "exotic."

I agree. The problem is that "all of it" is a perfectly reasonable interpretation of allowed usage for a resource that's claimed to be dedicated.

I think that jar's domain example isn't the same as this either. This would be more like if jar cancelled the plans of everyone who used 70gb of storage on his 100gb mail plan for storage abuse.

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • @ascicode said:
    Unlimited means, its ok, if you use a bit more a month, but can't be more and more every month. They can strictly block you, because it isnt meant, to use the 1g line 24/7, even if its possible.

The deal had no fair use policy and was advertised and as guaranteed 1Gbit/s port with unlimited traffic. It's simply a provider who sold bandwidth too cheaply and is now falsely advertising a product they have no intention of delivering on.

• ralfralf Member

OP is still here liking all the negative posts, but still hasn't answered where he's moving to that will give him the unlimited bandwidth for a better price.

• mwtmwt Member
    edited July 2022

@MatthewM said:
    The deal had no fair use policy and was advertised and as guaranteed 1Gbit/s port with unlimited traffic. It's simply a provider who sold bandwidth too cheaply and is now falsely advertising a product they have no intention of delivering on.

@Nirvana
    By the way, contract law is one thing, competition/customer law is another (and this surely can be taken as misleading advertisement).

Yes, the most affected party isn't even necessarily the customer. Providers who impose a 150 TB bw limit on their services seem like they are providing less value than Hetzner when they are, probably, providing the same amount of bandwidth or more. I've seen a lot of 150 TB dedi offers on here.

Real unlimited providers are hurt too because they have to compete on price for a customer who believes that Hetzner is providing an equivalent product, when in reality they are not.

In the most extreme case, Hetzner gets to collect all the money from customers with low traffic sites who want room to grow. Then, these people are kicked to Hetzner's competitors once they become expensive to serve. As a result, Hetzner gets all the most profitable customers by making aggressive promises and banning anyone who expects them to be kept.

• ahnlakahnlak Member
    edited July 2022

@default said:
    A product or service must be provided as advertised. If it's advertised as unlimited, then so it must be. The "unlimited" is already actually limited by technical information like gigabit bandwidth and by time (monthly), but adding further limitations which were not advertised, means the service provided is a lie and is not the same service which was initially advertised and paid for.

Hetzner in this case is exposed and can be taken to court.

Not really; they haven't terminated him - they've just told him that they won't want to keep him as a customer at renewal time if he keeps hammering bandwidth.

Entirely covered by the 2.7 section quoted in the original post eleventy-million pages ago.

I mean the OP is entirely welcome to take them to court, but I'm guessing Hetzner's lawyers are smarter than LowEndLawyers.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • mwtmwt Member

@ralf said:

@mwt said:
    I could strike by myself for example.

Whilst in colloquial speech you could, strike action is actually legally protected but it can only be done if you are a member of a union and they call the strike action. You can't even join the strike if there are several unions but yours chooses not to join the strike. In the UK, for instance, you can be protected from dismissal for up to 6 months during strike action.

At least in the US, an individual can strike without being in a union. Unions are not that common here anymore. So, I don't really know much about how they work. Presumably union members make some sort of collective bargaining agreement that prevents them from striking on their own. I imagine it would be difficult to bargain without being able to control the strikes.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • xrzxrz Member

@ahnlak said: I mean the OP is entirely welcome to take them to court, but I'm guessing Hetzner's lawyers are smarter than LowEndLawyers.

why waste the limited time :D all i wanted was to share with you that something could happen to hetzner in coming days/months probably as their model is failing...

• @xrz said:

Who’s your current provider?

I need dedicated server for my reverse proxy

• babuumbabuum Member

@xrz said:
    Wanna see what they gonna do with all of these, could be fun too

+10TB/sec (in total) of traffic

https://yui.cat/as/AS24940/

Those figures are a bit exaggerated. I haven't managed to go over 150TB (vnstat) with my relays per server and the Hetzner dashboard shows about 20TB less most likely because some of the traffic goes to other Hetzner relays.

Thanked by 1xrz