Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• xaocxaoc Member

There's at least 2 uglies in this thread that i'd love to be able to block... Their comments are quite repetitive and spammy. -_-

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental said: Where is the threat-

For someone who's called "reading fundamentals, you don't read much (or even at all?).
    I have stated several times, unlike any previous email from hetzner this one is sent from blacklist@hetzner , that in itself is a threat to blacklist you.

Also " we may choose to cancel your contract." how is that not a threat?

hey are simply stating that the contract may not be renewed- which is their right.

Sure and I might say "I am gonna sue for X and Y reasons" which is also my right, but just because it is my right does not mean it is not a threat. "Threat" and "right" are not contradictory

methodical fashion

what is methodical in an undefined limit !?? The phrasing of their email contradicts any possible def of scientific method, there is no methodology to follow if I don't know what my objective is. when you run an iterative optimization procedure you set a threshold, either budget-based, time-based, etc. What constraint should I define to end my usage reduction process Mr methodical redading fundementals ?

@ReadingIsFundamental said: It's not irresponsible,

Irresponsible because as @comXyz mentioned + in one of my previous tickets, support has confirmed that you can use the port as much as you want without any restriction whatsoever and that there is no FUP.

A responsible way to do it, is like what they did with their price hike email, it was a notice (not a threat), and they said oh sorry we realized our pricing is messed up so we need to increase it. A responsible way is not blaming customer for using exactly what you advertised and write an email saying "sorry we messed up our traffic policy and we are changing it to ensure fairer usage of our network for our clients, here is an FUP, adapt your usage to it".

If you still see nothing wrong despite my clarifications, than I am afraid there is no point for us to discuss any further. You may as well enjoy an armed mugger with a gun and you probably won't call that threat.

Again, you don't seem to get it, no one complained about Hetzner reducing cost, we are complaining about shady and poor phrasing + things like " and then find ways of reducing it" , then explain to me what your limit is so I can find a way to reduce it accordingly. How can I find a way to solve a problem that you did not formally define. If they say their limit is 40TB I am fine with it, but I need someone responsible enough to state a limit. Please note, I am willing to actually pay an add-on fee for traffic, That is what I call a logical responsible solution, but they did not even bother to offer that.

have a good day ;)

Thanked by 2xrz default
  • @ReadingIsFundamental said:
    I think threads like this naturally make the heavy users shy away from Hetzner and reduce overall average usage without Hetzner having to do anything. It's exactly what they want- for heavy users to think Hetzner isn't the way to go. Price increases, IP price increases, and threats of non-renewal for high usage - all have served to move heavy users to other providers- which undoubtedly is what Hetzner wants - high cost users go elsewhere.

It is not that simple. A large population of users want unmetered and unlimited as an insurance for their sites to grow up with enough overhead. They will move to some vendors with true unmetered and unlimited bw.

Thanked by 3xrz mwt dystopia
  • afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@xaoc said: There's at least 2 uglies in this thread that i'd love to be able to block... Their comments are quite repetitive and spammy. -_-

Someone posted here a way to use ublock to hide comments from people you don't like (he used it to block racknerd). You may search for it and use it. That should make you a bit happier, I guess? less frustration when seeing comments you don't like and takes a couple minutes to set up

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@ReadingIsFundamental said:

@afn said:
    The more I look at it, the more I hate the poor and unprofessional phrasing

Although these servers include unlimited traffic, this is far above what we consider fair use.

From a logical point view, if @Hetzner_OL can right such sentence, they can as well email the 3.5€ VPS users with sth like:

Although these servers include 20TB traffic, this is far above what we consider fair use.

I see no difference between the 2 sentences from a purely logical point of view.

And the fairness defender will jump in and say "oh 20 TB on a 3€ machine is already a lot, why are you doing so much traffic" which brings back again the question of how much is too much (from a relative point of view?)

P.S: again I am happy Hetzner is installing an FUP, not complaining about that, I am not happy about how they are doing it in a shady irresponsible way by sending threats and shit instead of a normal notice.

Where is the threat- they are stating the obvious (which should have been know to those that read fine print), to make sure there is no miscommunication. They are simply stating that the contract may not be renewed- which is their right. It's not irresponsible, in fact, it gives a user a chance to get everything in order in a methodical fashion- whether they elect to stay or move. They are simply dumping high cost customers at the end of a contractual period, nothing wrong with that, no matter how much you argue the contrary

It's funny you keep repeating the same wrong claim over and over again. :D

LowEndLawyer != lawyer

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

oh oops. I misread, nvm

Screw that lack of "delete" button that is only available to moderators :triumph:

like https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3460244#Comment_3460244 (comment by @Arkas that was deleted because he can delete his comments! :( )

• xaocxaoc Member

@afn said:

@xaoc said: There's at least 2 uglies in this thread that i'd love to be able to block... Their comments are quite repetitive and spammy. -_-

Someone posted here a way to use ublock to hide comments from people you don't like (he used it to block racknerd). You may search for it and use it. That should make you a bit happier, I guess? less frustration when seeing comments you don't like and takes a couple minutes to set up

Using Chrome on droid and no frustration just an extra scroll. xD

Thanked by 1afn
  • kasodkkasodk Barred

@afn said:
    What claim is exactly wrong? Feel free to correct me If I had made any mistake.

oh oops. I misread, nvm

@ReadingIsFundamental != @afn :D

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@kasodk I know I deleted my comment lol :joy: but the thing is, LET still notified me as being tagged (because I was tagged in his post)

Sorry :sweat_smile:

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • do not underestimate collective wisdom. there is a organization called common wealth. :)

• edited July 2022

@kasodk said:

@afn said:

oh oops. I misread, nvm

What claim is wrong? That they are allowed to dump any client outside of a contract period? that notified the client ahead of time? That there is no threat- they stated the obvious that they may not renew according to terms and conditions?

The reality is there are very few users pissed off at this move, so apparently it affects virtually noone. The ones that are pissed- I doubt seriously that Hetzner gives a crap. Noone will sue, noone will report them, there is nothing nefarious going on, people just want to be pissy (typical let). Hetzner made a smart move and very few people are pissed.

• afnafn Member
    edited July 2022

@ReadingIsFundamental said: That there is no threat

did you read my comment?

Telling you "hey I might actually dumb you" sent from blacklist@hetzner is in itself a threat, it is your right, yes, but it is still a threat.

• ralfralf Member
    edited July 2022

@afn said:
    Also " we may choose to cancel your contract." how is that not a threat?

Whether you see it as a threat or just a statement of intent is semantics, and kind of irrelevant as it doesn't affect the situation.

What you consider to be a threat is just a polite way of saying "We think you suck as a customer. We have a lot of customers, and you're using more resources than almost everybody. We don't want your business any more, but if you really want to stay then we'll consider it if you cut down your usage a bit. But really, you're just a drain on our resources, and even if you cut down, honestly it'd be better for everyone if you went somewhere else."

You may as well enjoy an armed mugger with a gun and you probably won't call that threat.

They're not forcing you to use their service and give them money. It's pretty clear they'd be quite happy if you choose to stop being a customer and giving them money at all.

• kasodkkasodk Barred

@ReadingIsFundamental said:

@kasodk said:

@afn said:

oh oops. I misread, nvm

What claim is wrong? That they are allowed to dump any client outside of a conract period? that notified the client ahead of time? That there is no threat- they stated the obvious that they may not renew accourding to ternms and conditions?

Read my earlier answers. I am not going to be part of your endless loop.

• I love how 500 people already linked all Hetzner sites stating "UNLIMITED" with no small text, no addendum, no nothing - YET they will still comment about how people agreed to the legal terms.

WE DID NOT. Hetzner states UNLIMITED everywhere. No additional notes, no extra legal text, just unlimited. That's why people are pissed. I also use Hetzner, but my usage is way below that - I do maybe 30-40TB a month.

So I'm safe. Or am I? If they kill 250TB/m users, what comes next? Then the average drops to 150. Then 100. Then 50. Either set a hard limit or stop pulling such bs. German customers should definitely contact German authorities.

• JacksterJackster Member
    edited July 2022

No fan of "unlimited" being used for marketing.
    There is always a limit.

IMHO, Hetzner is okay to say to a user who is using a lot of bandwidth that they need to reduce it.
    Root serves might have a dedicated 1Gbps link but that is to the switch. Still share switch to router and router to peers.
    We all share those peers and if OP is hogging a lot of the link to a peer I also use, then that could be degrading my server's connection with that peer.
    Unlimited data might be just within the Hetzner data center or within their wider network. AFAIK they do not say this anywhere but they could just pull that out as a defence.
    Really they should stipulate this like OVH does or at least use to. Not used them in a number of years...

I used to use Online.net as a CDN when I was running Masterson node and a media site. Pushed 1PB a month from 4-5 small servers and was not told off once. Less than 50 euro a month as well. Bargain.

• Some people here clearly don't understand what false advertising means.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

Simple rule I follow:

As electricity prices will keep going up, Bandwidth allowed will keep going down.
    Choose providers and plans accordingly.

I could have said Opex (upgrades/ repairs / Service personnel and so on but that would be accurate yet more debatable).

• adlyadly Veteran
    edited July 2022

Beyond any ‘false advertising’ claims, some people clearly don’t understand that Hetzner can choose who they have as customers for any reason (beyond discriminating against protected characteristics), just as the customer can choose whether to use Hetzner or not. They don’t even have to provide a reason, according to their own terms, for not renewing the contract provided sufficient notice is given.

That they said it was because of bandwidth usage is a courtesy, they could just as easily email and say we’re not renewing your service next month simply because we don’t want to.

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@adly said:
    Hetzner can choose who they have as customers.

The Wand Chooses the Wizard, Mr. Potter

• @adly said: Beyond any ‘false advertising’ claims

This is not a claim. That is a fact.

You can't go saying "We offer unlimited traffic" and then send out an email that you're doing too much traffic.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/unlimited

It's either unlimited or change that shit into proper AUP wording which there is none. So it's false advertising as of now.

Thanked by 1default
  • edited July 2022

@serv_ee said:

@adly said: Beyond any ‘false advertising’ claims

This is not a claim. That is a fact.

You can't go saying "We offer unlimited traffic" and then send out an email that you're doing too much traffic.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/unlimited

It's either unlimited or change that shit into proper AUP wording which there is none. So it's false advertising as of now.

Except for the fact that every user complaining about it- actually got unlimited for the term they contracted for and Hetzner is exercising their right to not continue with them as customers. So the FACT is - users got unlimited and the fact is for some unprofitable users, hetzner exercised their right to not offer another contract. Those are the facts, nothing is false advertising. Many users were offered additional contract, some- with specific facts- unknown to us (except high bandwidth) were not offered additional terms. This may be due to where the bandwidth was being used and the cost for usage. High bandwidth to a local IX is different than high bandwidth to Australia. Just the facts. Final fact, noone is entitled to forever pricing or guranteed renewal unless its stipulated in the agreement- it is NOT

• Hetzner has every right to drop the customer after their contract ends. No one cares. Just send out an email saying "We will terminate your contract" and don't give a reason a stupid as this.

Dont get me wrong. Big part of my servers are all at Hetzner. And I'll keep taking them on. 250TB is A FUCK TON! But then agian 250TB isn't unlimited. And the wording in the email is exactly that, we'll sanction you if you won't stop. That is textbook false advertising.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • Probably Hetzner can directly say 200 TB for dedis, 20 TB for vps/vds, very clear cut. 200 TB can do a lot of things.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited July 2022

They don't need to say any amount. Just do an fair use AUP and you're good. They don't have that at the moment, that's the issue.

"If we deem you're doing too much we will cancel your service" - voila! Done.

Thanked by 1default
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2022

@serv_ee said:
    They don't need to say any amount. Just do an fair use AUP and you're good. They don't have that at the moment, that's the issue.

"If we deem you're doing too much we will cancel your service" - voila! Done.

thats the thing, it seems they used to have that clause but removed it to support "unlimited".

not that i think its fair for a $30 dedi to push 250TB but if its a buffet and everyone's eating the premium dishes too much, just react positively by changing certain premium items to limited servings, or offer paid add-on for premium unlimited servings, or re-estimate the overall cost and expected revenue and raise prices accordingly.

not acting like the buffet's still truly eat-all-you-can, yet stop people from eating too much or ban select individual from entering the buffet.

Thanked by 1default
  • letloverletlover Member
    edited July 2022

I guess that Hetzner higher management team has a new member, his task is to make profit. Naturally, he looks for all the means to make money, and does not care to keep up his predecessor's promises.

• edited July 2022

Maybe just route the high users on to shit, cheapest, congested network paths that take a long time to get any where and send them through the same network switches and ports to the point that it slows them down.

After all, they want unlimited- but not one of them said the quality or speed or optimization of their unlimited.

• @Abd said:
    the port is shared & we experienced slow speeds last time going over 60TB.
    resolved after contacting them, not sure if was a temporary issue.

Did 300TB with them in a month with no issues, no slowdown. They do get hit with a lot of DDoS attacks so that may have been your issue.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • @ReadingIsFundamental said:
    Maybe just route the high users on to shit, cheapest, congested network paths that take a long time to get any where and send them through the same network switches and ports to the point that it slows them down.

After all, they want unlimited- but not one of them said the quality or speed or optimization of their unlimited.

This is a good idea, punishing them without breaking the promise.