Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Do we have official comment from hetzner on this?

Unlimited as in unlimited speed within 1Gbps.
    Unmetered as in unmetered bandwidth within that 1 Gbps.

Am I missing something?

Thanked by 1xrz
  • drivexdrivex Member
    edited July 2022

@Hetzner_OL shed some light here, otherwise you get even more bad publicity...

I've used 50 to 100 TB (at max) per month, but thinking about moving out, because i don't like surprises. But i conclude with some posters in here, if someone takes this to the german Verbraucherzentrale, Hetzner will get in trouble for misleading advertising.

This has nothing to do with "oh, someone is actually using the full bandwidth offered and that's abusive". It's just plain wrong. If you offer unlimited, you can use 330 TB UP and 330TB download. Sure, Hetzner can cancel your contract, but then they have to stop saying we offer unlimited traffic. Everything else is forbidden by the german law, it's completely different than in the US, where someone can pull such shady things.

But since Hetzner is daily active here and hasn't made a statement yet doesn't make the situation any better and i guess they will introduce an fair use rule soon. Hetzner always starts like this, it was the same with the energy price hike. First the owner of Hetzner posted in the internal client-board that "interesting times are ahead" with a screenshot of hiking energy prices last year, and some weeks later they announced the price hike :)

Thanked by 2xrz default
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@drivex
    you know whats the best thing? that the mail comes from blacklist@hetzner.com
    like wtf. blacklist your a** hetzner ;) and we blacklist your ASN too on our services, fck your servers

and also one of my friends got locked server for connecting to VPN, yes for fcked connecting VPN, they think it is "attack", the VPN was connecting like 1 year -> connecting to a VPN is for hetzner attack, how pathetic (and no, it was not misconfigured or so...)

@Hetzner can gfy

• comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited July 2022

I understand things will change. But you need to keep what you say until it's officially changed.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member

@comXyz said: things will change

probably no, they just want to fu*k off every single person who use the unlimited so they leave or terminate them and free up the traffic so they can continue the unlimited lie

Thanked by 1default
  • defaultdefault Veteran

The end is nigh for unlimited.

Thanked by 1xms
  • adlyadly Veteran

I know it’s been stated many times over, but unlimited traffic is being provided within the terms of the contract (30 days) - nowhere do they suggest the contract will be terminated early or without notice.

They have provided advanced notice that they may not want you as a future customer, and provided a reason which is a courtesy they don’t have to extend and seems to be causing more upset than intended. Realistically, they could instead just email notifying you that they won’t be renewing the service next month and that’s that.

I’m not saying I agree with the policy, and they could be clearer, but choosing which customers they want to keep is within their rights as per the T&Cs. 🤷‍♂️

Thanked by 3Erisa xrz TimboJones
  • LeviLevi Member

@default said: The end is nigh for unlimited.

The term is old as web hosting industry it-self. There is always those who want to believe... Here is typical lowender office:

• Has anyone mentioned hetzner yet?

Thanked by 3ralf xrz TimboJones
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2022

@LTniger said:

@default said: The end is nigh for unlimited.

The term is old as web hosting industry it-self. There is always those who want to believe... Here is typical lowender office:

Unlimited existed. It still exists with many providers. After all, the unlimited is actually limited by 3 important factors:

1. bandwidth, whether is 100mbps or 1000mbps, it's still a number calculated per second.
    2. time, usually a calendar month, or plain 30 days.
    3. terms like "fair share" or "dedicated", which almost all honest low-end providers are kind enough to specify in their rules or service descriptions.

The problem here is that we have a big name (HETZNER) associated with not loving their own terms anymore. This is why the popcorn pops.

Thanked by 1drivex
  • drivexdrivex Member

@default said:

The problem here is that we have a big name (HETZNER) associated with not loving their own terms anymore. This is why the popcorn pops.

Exactly! They just need to state, that unlimited comes with "fair use" or an upper limit and everyone would be happy :)

Thanked by 3default dystopia xrz
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@xrz : Please watch your language. You've made your point many times already, and yesterday you managed to do so without cursing at Hetzner

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • xaocxaoc Member

Some people are just envious of @xrz cause they got so many "friends", I think. xD

Thanked by 2ralf xrz
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

Op
    what will be the price impact of moving to the next best provider? How much time will it take?

Given the time you have spent here ranting, I am sure the answer would be along the lines of :smile:

a. Price impact- less than the money left on the table by ranting for 2 days on LET

b. Time spent in migration: not much more than the time spent ranting on LET.

See the possibilities?

Unless you have so much free time, and hourly rates are so cheap where you are- that most folks would be jealous.

Best wishes to you and your "Friend"

Thanked by 2xrz vimalware
  • _cece_cece Member

… at least on the german ToS it is stated that the contract is for a indefinite period (2.5). Therefore the argument “within in contract period they offered unlimited traffic” is still wrong. The only ability is the cancellation of the contract with 30 days to the end of the month…. For both sides…

Thanked by 2comXyz xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@vyas11 said: what will be the price impact of moving to the next best provider? How much time will it take?

Given we have backups of backups (some still syncing) not so long as we expected.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@xaoc said: Some people are just envious of @xrz cause they got so many "friends", I think. xD

idk, you people dont know other people? you dont meet new people? and i mean in real life, not behind monitor lol

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

:joy:

• ralfralf Member

@xrz said:

@vyas11 said: what will be the price impact of moving to the next best provider? How much time will it take?

Given we have backups of backups (some still syncing) not so long as we expected.

Nobody cares how long it'll take to sync. We'd all like to know who this provider is that'll provide more bandwidth for the same money.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@ralf said: Nobody cares how long it'll take to sync. We'd all like to know who this provider is that'll provide more bandwidth for the same money.

Well we care because time is against us lol, the faster we leave the better for us, and probably for hetzner too :D
    And its not your job to know where we move, but yeah we are gonna save some money (not much) for ordering batch of servers...

• Unlimited is unlimited, but 250TB in a month is a ridiculous amount of usage.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@dahartigan said: Unlimited

unlimited is in hetzner language 250TB ;) njoy! 250TB is also nothing to reach

• @xrz said:

unlimited is in hetzner language 250TB ;) njoy! 250TB is also nothing

It really begs the question - WHERE does someone get dedicated servers with absolutely unlimited usage? I couldn't imagine it being anywhere in the ballpark of what Hetzner charges, but such a thing should surely exist, right?

• ErisaErisa Member

@dahartigan said:

@xrz said:

It really begs the question - WHERE does someone get dedicated servers with absolutely unlimited usage? I couldn't imagine it being anywhere in the ballpark of what Hetzner charges, but such a thing should surely exist, right?

Nor is there any specific guarantee that the new provider won't kick them out for the same thing. Even if you rashly assume that the cap at Hetzner is 250 TB/mo, that's still a damn fine deal unless you get a bulk deal with a larger provider.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@dahartigan said: WHERE does someone get dedicated servers with absolutely unlimited usage

unlimited 1Gbit/sec != 250TB understand? now calculate what 1Gbit/sec is in TB per month ;) that is unlimited 1Gbit/sec ;) since we speak about 1Gbit right? :)

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@Erisa said:

@dahartigan said:

@xrz said:

Nor is there any specific guarantee that the new provider won't kick them out for the same thing. Even if you rashly assume that the cap at Hetzner is 250 TB/mo, that's still a damn fine deal unless you get a bulk deal with a larger provider.

Plot Twist: Hetzner acquires OP’s new provider

• @Erisa said:

@dahartigan said:

@xrz said:

This is what I mean, is there such a provider with such a guarantee? For the price I just can't see it ever making sense. For a premium, of course.

I have a KS with "unlimited" usage - I wouldn't imagine they would be happy with me hammering the port 24x7 - the machine is dedicated but the network is not.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @xrz said:

@dahartigan said: WHERE does someone get dedicated servers with absolutely unlimited usage

unlimited 1Gbit/sec != 250TB understand? now calculate what 1Gbit/sec is in TB per month ;) that is unlimited 1Gbit/sec ;) since we speak about 1Gbit right? :)

259TB by my calculation..

(100x60x60x24x30)

• xrzxrz Member

@vyas11 said: Plot Twist: Hetzner acquires OP’s new provider

well wont happen :D if so we move out again :D but now we moved from shady germany

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • TomzTomz Member

1 GigaBit ~~ 330 TeraByte / month
    750 MegaBit ~~ 239 TeraByte / month