Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

1161718192022»

Comments

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited April 2023

Just out of curiosity, did any rep from Hetzner ever address this thread any where? @Hetzner_OL

Also does Hetzner have any sort of clause or wording in their TOS that they can terminate services without reason with a 30-60 days notice? I recall seeing something similar in OVH's TOS. I may have a read through their TOS later after work today.

I moved alot of my services out of Hetzner over a year ago due to connectivity issues, but it would be really distasteful of Hetzner to not mention any sort of fair-use on the traffic but enforcing it. In their defense, they do not mention the word "Guaranteed" anywhere, only "Dedicated" and "Unmetered".

I know Broadband/Home internet companies used to dance around the Speed limits a lot too by using the term "Upto" xxx Mbps till they got sued in a class action. OVH got their shit straight and distinguish between Standard and Guaranteed Bandwidth, maybe Hetzner needs to revisit their wording on their website before a bunch of big (German) clients create trouble for them.

• xrzxrz Member

@sunnyg said: they do not mention the word "Guaranteed" anywhere

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2023

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

Confirmed !
    Hetzner now start terminating accounts for using full 1 Gbit/s port on dedicated servers.
    Too many accounts has been terminated in recent month without specifying the reason ( Using too much Bandwidth ).

So anyone who is using the full port be careful your account will get terminated !

When you say "Confirmed !" it'd be useful to know what kind of bandwidth you were pushing to get booted. If you're saturating the link, then probably most people don't need to be worried. If you only hit maybe 50TB a month, then it's an issue.

80TB/m is enough to get warned and terminated on cheap servers like auction/ex4x/ax4x/anything under 80€/m + VAT

We also moved to OVHCloud recently due to warning spam.

High-traffic clients are simply unprofitable clients, which load their switches and may cause issues in the network or nodes if it is a VPS server.

For just a small amount of money providers gets into a dilemma about what to do with those clients. If there are just some clients, it is not an issue, but if it is a decent amount, there are 2 options - ask to pay more to force clients to cancel services in that way or just terminate them.

There are no miracles. When internet traffic costs more than the customer pays, it's only a matter of time before such services will be canceled.

Do you have any options after OVHCloud?

Network speed varies 1Gbps and 800 Mbps as my connection is not guaranteed, but it does not really matter to me and so far works pretty well.

The issue with Hetzner is, that they advertise unmetered traffic, yet its actually not unmetered at all.

Its unmetered if you are big customer with expensive servers, but not if you have 1-2 under 80€/m servers. It's technically a fraud if you advertise one thing and sell another. The reason why its not illegal is due to their special terms of services and acceptable use policy which you agree when ordering, where they reserve rights to limit you if you use too much resources like bandwidth. The amount threshold is unspecified.

It's deceptive at best.

But what did you expect from a provider that came up with these prices?

They adjusted those prices later, but after that you can expect any madness from them.

Is anything wrong with Hetzner's IP prices?
    https://auctions.ipv4.global/

I'm so sorry that you do not have eyes, your life must be hard.

Let me explain briefly about the logic issue in the pricing.

By the time they made that price, those /24 blocks on that website were going for around 6-8k USD which is not much more than just setup the setup fees for a monthly rental. When ownership costs less than 20% more than setup fees to be able to rent the same thing, there is naturally no logic in the price.

I sincerely hope a fast recovery for you my friend.

The IP costs were also pre-VAT prices unlike what you quoted in that image of yours.

so /24 setup cost was about 5200-5500€ + 500€/m depending country.

Usually the eyes can be fixed, but brain damage is really hard to solve.

All the best for you man.

If you don't mind the price, I can also get you some /24 subnets for 500€/m, but I will have to charge roughly 8300€ setup fees for each of them. Cheap right? Look at the auction site. Theres no issue with the price.

I highly recommend keeping the epithets intended for me to yourself.

This is the Hetzner business model and if you don't like it, you can buy somewhere else. You can buy IP ranges for 6 - 8k and route wherever you want. Don't like it - don't buy it. Hetzner is not a monopolist, there are thousands of companies that provide similar services.

Well, once you have your own hosting business, you can buy Ip ranges for $6-8k and give them away for free with the cheapest dedicated servers if that business model suits you.

They changed their IP's setup price and it's just Hetzner's business how they do business. Not yours.

• @bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

Confirmed !
    Hetzner now start terminating accounts for using full 1 Gbit/s port on dedicated servers.
    Too many accounts has been terminated in recent month without specifying the reason ( Using too much Bandwidth ).

So anyone who is using the full port be careful your account will get terminated !

When you say "Confirmed !" it'd be useful to know what kind of bandwidth you were pushing to get booted. If you're saturating the link, then probably most people don't need to be worried. If you only hit maybe 50TB a month, then it's an issue.

80TB/m is enough to get warned and terminated on cheap servers like auction/ex4x/ax4x/anything under 80€/m + VAT

We also moved to OVHCloud recently due to warning spam.

High-traffic clients are simply unprofitable clients, which load their switches and may cause issues in the network or nodes if it is a VPS server.

For just a small amount of money providers gets into a dilemma about what to do with those clients. If there are just some clients, it is not an issue, but if it is a decent amount, there are 2 options - ask to pay more to force clients to cancel services in that way or just terminate them.

There are no miracles. When internet traffic costs more than the customer pays, it's only a matter of time before such services will be canceled.

Do you have any options after OVHCloud?

Network speed varies 1Gbps and 800 Mbps as my connection is not guaranteed, but it does not really matter to me and so far works pretty well.

The issue with Hetzner is, that they advertise unmetered traffic, yet its actually not unmetered at all.

Its unmetered if you are big customer with expensive servers, but not if you have 1-2 under 80€/m servers. It's technically a fraud if you advertise one thing and sell another. The reason why its not illegal is due to their special terms of services and acceptable use policy which you agree when ordering, where they reserve rights to limit you if you use too much resources like bandwidth. The amount threshold is unspecified.

It's deceptive at best.

But what did you expect from a provider that came up with these prices?

They adjusted those prices later, but after that you can expect any madness from them.

Is anything wrong with Hetzner's IP prices?
    https://auctions.ipv4.global/

I'm so sorry that you do not have eyes, your life must be hard.

Let me explain briefly about the logic issue in the pricing.

By the time they made that price, those /24 blocks on that website were going for around 6-8k USD which is not much more than just setup the setup fees for a monthly rental. When ownership costs less than 20% more than setup fees to be able to rent the same thing, there is naturally no logic in the price.

I sincerely hope a fast recovery for you my friend.

The IP costs were also pre-VAT prices unlike what you quoted in that image of yours.

so /24 setup cost was about 5200-5500€ + 500€/m depending country.

Usually the eyes can be fixed, but brain damage is really hard to solve.

All the best for you man.

If you don't mind the price, I can also get you some /24 subnets for 500€/m, but I will have to charge roughly 8300€ setup fees for each of them. Cheap right? Look at the auction site. Theres no issue with the price.

I highly recommend keeping the epithets intended for me to yourself.

This is the Hetzner business model and if you don't like it, you can buy somewhere else. You can buy IP ranges for 6 - 8k and route wherever you want. Don't like it - don't buy it. Hetzner is not a monopolist, there are thousands of companies that provide similar services.

Well, once you have your own hosting business, you can buy Ip ranges for $6-8k and give them away for free with the cheapest dedicated servers if that business model suits you.

They changed their IP's setup price and it's just Hetzner's business how they do business. Not yours.

So it was brain damage afterall.

Sir, I dont mind them charging the buy cost for a right to rent something. Its their right.

You asked what was the problem with the price.

It was batshit insane, thats what was wrong with it. I moved away from the provider long ago due to that.

My point to the other guy was, that if they do such price changes, you can expect anything from them.

• afnafn Member

@sunnyg said: Just out of curiosity, did any rep from Hetzner ever address this thread any where? @Hetzner_OL

No, they were instructed not to. And official Support via Robot also has been instructed not to reply to anything about this. These are only left to abuse department.

The abuse department, be it for IP, netScan, or any issues, generally does not give a f*ck nor reply, they're pretty nazi about it, we don't like you, we burn you.

They sometimes do reply after a week or so, if they want to.

Hetzner's rule of thumb, if you annoy them, and get on their abuse list, you are now a sinner that deserves to be treated badly.

I actually offered to pay for extra traffic back when I had this issue, but they did not care. As I said, once on the list, your upcoming days with Hetzner will be like hell.