Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• @Erisa said:

@xrz said:

@ralf said: So is this the plot twist where you didn't actually cancel your contract and now have to pay for an extra month?

this is the cancelled servers, we wont pay a ****

That probably isn't a hill you want to die on, unless you enjoy being visited by debt collectors. Check the previous invoice compared to this one and note the days the server was being paid for as well as the date they were supposed to be cancelled by. If you notice a discrepancy then call it out to them. Failing to pay the invoice will land you in serious legal trouble eventually.

Depending on the country debt collectors have exactly 0 power over anything.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2022

Just a small FYI, there's a number of VPS (and even some dedicated server) providers that also offer "unmetered" bandwidth - but it isn't real unmetered.

Take Frantech for example, advertises 1 Gbps unmetered on the website. However, if you look around in their Discord, they say that it's 100 Mbps unmetered for 4GB instance. Not real 1 Gbps unmetered.

While it's totally unreasonable to expect real 1 Gbps unmetered on a $3.50/month service, what actually draws the line? Is 1 Gbps unmetered supposed to be reasonable at Hetzner's price point (30 euro/month)?

• afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@Advin said: Take Frantech for example, advertises 1 Gbps unmetered on the website. However, if you look around in their Discord, they say that it's 100 Mbps unmetered for 4GB instance. Not real 1 Gbps unmetered.

If you ask, or read, you will find the FUP, transparently and simply stated. They admit it. Unlike Hetzner who has no transparency, still refuse to say what their current FUP is and said in previous communication that they offer true unmetered but they did not honor it. Frantech honors what he advertises. When you use a lot traffic on buyVM , they throttle you, they don't blacklist list you like Hetzner did.

Your comparison is pure BS.

respectfully.

• ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

@afn said:

@Advin said: Take Frantech for example, advertises 1 Gbps unmetered on the website. However, if you look around in their Discord, they say that it's 100 Mbps unmetered for 4GB instance. Not real 1 Gbps unmetered.

If you ask, or read, you will find the FUP, transparently and simply stated. They admit it. Unlike Hetzner who has no transparency, still refuse to say what their current FUP is and said in previous communication that they offer true unmetered but they did not honor it. Frantech honors what he advertises. When you use a lot traffic on buyVM , they throttle you, they don't blacklist list you like Hetzner did.

Your comparison is pure BS.

respectfully.

Respectfully, this is BS. The website says clearly unlimited: https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

Nowhere on their website is this secret limit mentioned. It's not in their AUP or TOS or their FAQ. If you read the entirety of BuyVM's website, you'd believe it was unlimited. Even their comparison chart with other services says unlimited, no caveats. Most buyers don't hang around LET to find additional small print, they accept what is described on the website as what is being offered.

So why is it OK for BuyVM to say Unlimited in all their publicity but actually have a secret limit and it's OK for them, but it's totally wrong for Hetzner? You can't have it both ways.

• afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@ralf said: So why is it OK for BuyVM to say Unlimited in all their publicity but actually have a secret limit and it's OK for them, but it's totally wrong for Hetzner? You can't have it both ways.

Here is the thing I am gonna rewrite my previous post differently, maybe it will be clearer this time.

@afn said: If you ask,

When you contact Hetzner and ask what is your FUP, they say unlimited. When you contact buyVM and ask what is the FUP, they answer you, they don't play dead, or give wrong answer.

@afn said: When you use a lot traffic on buyVM , they throttle you, they don't blacklist list you like Hetzner did.

I don't know how to rephrase this to make it clearer.

In the end, you still get unlimited (slow) traffic with buyVM without suffering any puisements on a 3$ SHARED VPS **without ** guaranteed dedicated uplink. With Hetzner, you get punished, you are accused of being abusive, on your own dedicated uplink on a dedicated server.

I will have to agree with you, BuyVM is not 100% clear on this in their advertisement. But they don't lie when you confront them at least, and they don't blame their poor communication on you.

You see what I mean? You see the difference in behavior?

I will be waiting for you for the day Hetzner sends you a small hello from the new cool Blacklist@hetzner for always using your dedicated CPU and costing them too much on cooling/electricity or for fully using your ram.

It seems you still miss my point. I am not even complaining about unlimited BS, I don't care about that (even though they should honor it). I am complaining about being blacklisted, and the rude email for doing nothing wrong after being lied to by support. All I asked for was a "hey, sorry we are revising our traffic policy and changing it. It seems you are using too much traffic, reduce it. "

• ralfralf Member

@afn said:
    You see what I mean? You see the difference in behavior?

I get the difference in action, however:

When you contact Hetzner and ask what is your FUP, they say unlimited. When you contact buyVM and ask what is the FUP, they answer you, they don't play dead, or give wrong answer.

Why would anyone contact buyVM to ask what the FUP, when the website already has an AUP that doesn't mention limits, a TOS that doesn't mention limits, a wiki and and FAQ that doesn't mention limits and lots and lots and lots of places that splash "Unlimited" around.

Nobody would read that and think "Hmmm, I guess I should really go and check out some forums to find out if this actually means something else".

I will have to agree with you, BuyVM is not 100% clear on this in their advertisement. But they don't lie, and they don't blame their poor communication on you.

"Not 100% clear" and "don't lie" seem to be describing the opposite of the claims on their website. I don't actually want to dig too hard into @Francisco on this, because I also know from reading his posts that even though there is an actual limit they rarely enforce it, but my point is that this is the exact same situation - they're saying it's unlimited in all their marketing material when in fact it's not.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
  • afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@ralf said: Nobody would read that and think "Hmmm, I guess I should really go and check out some forums to find out if this actually means something else".

I always do that when I see unlimited. I know 4 people at least who do the same. Before buying from Terrahost, I asked. Same when buying from buyVM for the first time.

Also, comXyz, seems to be like me, in a previous comment he posted old sceenshots of asking Hetzner about the traffic limit. So we are not really that rare, are we?

Again, even if you don't contact them, and assume unlimited, you still live fine with BuyVM, but you get banned and blamed with Hetzner. I guess that's enough to end the comparison.

@ralf said: an actual limit they rarely enforce it,

That as well. + WE SHOULD NOT FORGET it is a VPS, having such measures to ensure fairness on a shared network (cpu, disk I/o, etc) , should not be so surprising and is normal. It is like complaining your CPU gives your chrome more CPU power and throttles your Firefox window, on a VPS, no one can complain about not maxing ressources.

Dedi is not VPS and you are experienced and you know that better than me.

@ralf said: I get the difference in action:

That's all I wanted to hear. We agree then.

• Questions I have.

It’s interesting how Hetzner didn’t ask this guy to pay for the bandwidth. They used to have 20TB limit on their Dedicated servers iirc and anything over it was extra 1EUR per TB. They still have this option in their Cloud servers as well as their 10Gbps uplinked dedicated servers (extra €42.90 for 10Gbps).

I wonder what would happen if one were to use 250TB of bandwidth every month using Hetzner’s Cloud servers and therefore pay €250 extra every month whether it’s a 2GB server or something.

Or one were to get a dedicated server with 10G uplink and do the same.

Would Hetzner reach out and say; even though you’re paying us an extra €250 per month for 250TB of traffic, we cannot allow that? Or would they simply allow it as long as you’re paying €1 per extra TB? If they’d allow it then why did they remove the option from 1G uplinked dedis?

I wonder if they have this fair usage policy applied to their €1 per TB offer as well.

• afnafn Member
    edited March 2023

@anbelevebel said: Would Hetzner reach out and say; even though you’re paying us an extra €250 per month for 250TB of traffic, we cannot allow that? Or would they simply allow it as long as you’re paying €1 per extra TB? If they’d allow it then why did they remove the option from 1G uplinked dedis?

No, they won't reach out for abuse, it is fine, because you are paying for a well-defined billable item.

Hetzner is very non-flexible /non-customizable. While I hate this about them, to be fair to them, this allows for more efficient automated systems, especially with their scale. It is very easy for things to get messy when you are that big, and even messier if you do exceptions, see how OVH is a mess. So, since they have no pricing defined for "abusing" the hidden traffic limit, they just won't accept your money for it. Because they have no such billable item on their systems. This problem only concerns less than 3% of Hetzner users, so no worth finding a solution for them, they ideally want such heavy users out. For such heavy use, they prefer to get rid of you, better than taking your money. You are seen as a high-maintenance customer.

If you know you want 250TB traffic, You will have to sort it out on your own since the beginning, for example by deploying the thing pushing 250TB, on 2 servers and do 125/server.

• @anbelevebel said:
    Questions I have.

It’s interesting how Hetzner didn’t ask this guy to pay for the bandwidth. They used to have 20TB limit on their Dedicated servers iirc and anything over it was extra 1EUR per TB. They still have this option in their Cloud servers as well as their 10Gbps uplinked dedicated servers (extra €42.90 for 10Gbps).

I wonder what would happen if one were to use 250TB of bandwidth every month using Hetzner’s Cloud servers and therefore pay €250 extra every month whether it’s a 2GB server or something.

Would Hetzner reach out and say; even though you’re paying us an extra €250 per month for 250TB of traffic, we cannot allow that? Or would they simply allow it as long as you’re paying €1 per extra TB? If they’d allow it then why did they remove the option from 1G uplinked dedis?

I wonder if they have this fair usage policy applied to their €1 per TB offer as well.

Don't necro.

• OK then...

• @afn said:

@anbelevebel said: Would Hetzner reach out and say; even though you’re paying us an extra €250 per month for 250TB of traffic, we cannot allow that? Or would they simply allow it as long as you’re paying €1 per extra TB? If they’d allow it then why did they remove the option from 1G uplinked dedis?

No, they won't reach out for abuse, it is fine, because you are paying for a well-defined billable item.

Hetzner is very non-flexible /non-customizable. While I hate this about them, to be fair to them, this allows for more efficient automated systems, especially with their scale. It is very easy for things to get messy when you are that big, and even messier if you do exceptions, see how OVH is a mess. So, since they have no pricing defined for "abusing" the hidden traffic limit, they just won't accept your money for it. Because they have no such billable item on their systems. This problem only concerns less than 3% of Hetzner users, so no worth finding a solution for them, they ideally want such heavy users out. For such heavy use, they prefer to get rid of you, better than taking your money. You are seen as a high-maintenance customer.

If you know you want 250TB traffic, You will have to sort it out on your own since the beginning, for example by deploying the thing pushing 250TB, on 2 servers and do 125/server.

It’s interesting how they have this limitation on their 1Gbps Dedicated servers but not with their 1Gbps Cloud servers and 10Gbps Dedicated servers. I still don’t understand why they won’t allow you to pay for extra bandwidth while you can do that for a small cloud server or a dedi with 10G. This doesn’t make any sense.

• pbxpbx Member
    edited March 2023

@afn said: they ideally want such heavy users out. For such heavy use, they prefer to get rid of you, better than taking your money. You are seen as a high-maintenance customer.

That can make sense if they reached the point where they don't need/want to use as much bandwidth as possible. It could have made sense in the past at some point for them to let their users use a lot of bandwidth if that made it possible for them to get a better deal on bandwidth, but now they probably prefer to focus on getting a larger customer base while using the same amount of bandwidth.

It would be great if they made their policy clear, though.

• afnafn Member

@pbx, to further develop on your point, all new EX server, no longer have massively big HDDs. While I know it is not always true, odds are, if you have more stored data, there are more chances you will be pushing more traffic. (I know you can only have 1TB of NVMe and push the entire 300TB per month, but generally this is not the case).

@anbelevebel said: I still don’t understand why they won’t allow you to pay for extra bandwidth while you can do that for a small cloud server or a dedi with 10G.

Idk, but here is a guess: From hetzner "We contacted a select few clients whose traffic use for their servers was in the top 0.0019% of all servers."
    Many of these are on cheap af 30-40$ servers, and do not want to pay 1euro per TB on 1gbps. Out of this percentage, See how small the amount of people ready to pay for traffic is.

So it won't make sense for them to change their billing and add "traffic over usage" item in the billing for such a small amount of people.
    + If they do so, they will be admitting they do not really offer unlimited traffic, and we have very clearly established they are a bunch of unethical liars and BSers with their shitty marketing.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited March 2023

@afn said:
    @pbx, to further develop on your point, all new EX server, no longer have massively big HDDs. While I know it is not always true, odds are, if you have more stored data, there are more chances you will be pushing more traffic. (I know you can only have 1TB of NVMe and push the entire 300TB per month, but generally this is not the case).

@anbelevebel said: I still don’t understand why they won’t allow you to pay for extra bandwidth while you can do that for a small cloud server or a dedi with 10G.

Idk, but here is a guess: From hetzner "We contacted a select few clients whose traffic use for their servers was in the top 0.0019% of all servers."
    Many of these are on cheap af 30-40$ servers, and do not want to pay 1euro per TB on 1gbps. Out of this percentage, See how small the amount of people ready to pay for traffic is.

So it won't make sense for them to change their billing and add "traffic over usage" item in the billing for such a small amount of people.
    + If they do so, they will be admitting they do not really offer unlimited traffic, and we have very clearly established they are a bunch of unethical liars and BSers with their shitty marketing.

Well, still doesn’t make sense. They already have this traffic over usage option added to their Cloud servers as well as their 10G uplinks. So it’s not a big change to add this option to 1G as well.

Plus they already had it for 1G dedis before. It was removed later on. In 2018 it seems.

Check this out: https://www.hetzner.com/news/traffic-limit/

Funny thing is, in this article they clearly state that they removed this traffic over usage limit so you can use more traffic now. And then they go ahead and warn you for 250TB usage while
    you can still use 250TB and pay for it in Clouds and 10Gs. If that’s the case why not just bring back what you’ve removed in 2018? So people
    can pay and use. Do you want them to pay or not?

There’s really something that doesn’t make sense here.

• afnafn Member
    edited March 2023

@anbelevebel said: If that’s the case why not just bring back what you’ve removed in 2018? So people can pay and use.

@anbelevebel said: There’s really something that doesn’t make sense here.

Again:

@afn said: + If they do so, they will be admitting they do not really offer unlimited traffic, and we have very clearly established they are a bunch of unethical liars and BSers with their shitty marketing.

They want to lie and hope most people won't hit their hidden FUP. Marketing, they want to look better than the competition. If you see 20TB cap, you will think "i don't want to be restricted I will go with online, ovh, etc)

You can't reason with sense with pathological liars, you can't ask such a liar why you lied.

Thanked by 2anbelevebel pbx
  • @anbelevebel said:
    Questions I have.

1. Hetzner cloud/ 10Gbps dedi = 20TB free + N x €1/TB
    2. While 1Gbps dedi = 250TB free + N x €1/TB

So NO.2 is a bad thing for Hetzner Online.

• anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited March 2023

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Questions I have.

I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion of 250TB free. I’m saying they should charge for it for over 20TB just as they do for NO.1.

• @anbelevebel said:

@EthanZou said:

@anbelevebel said:
    Questions I have.

I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion of 250TB free. I’m saying they should charge for it for over 20TB just as they do for NO.1.

No, they won't. Unlimited Traffic will make Hetzner dedis more competitive as long as you're not a heavy user. While pay as you go is not.

• Confirmed !
    Hetzner now start terminating accounts for using full 1 Gbit/s port on dedicated servers.
    Too many accounts has been terminated in recent month without specifying the reason ( Using too much Bandwidth ).

So anyone who is using the full port be careful your account will get terminated !

• ralfralf Member

@momkin said:
    Confirmed !
    Hetzner now start terminating accounts for using full 1 Gbit/s port on dedicated servers.
    Too many accounts has been terminated in recent month without specifying the reason ( Using too much Bandwidth ).

So anyone who is using the full port be careful your account will get terminated !

When you say "Confirmed !" it'd be useful to know what kind of bandwidth you were pushing to get booted. If you're saturating the link, then probably most people don't need to be worried. If you only hit maybe 50TB a month, then it's an issue.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2023

@ralf said:

@momkin said:
    Confirmed !

When you say "Confirmed !" it'd be useful to know what kind of bandwidth you were pushing to get booted. If you're saturating the link, then probably most people don't need to be worried. If you only hit maybe 50TB a month, then it's an issue.

80TB/m is enough to get warned and terminated on cheap servers like auction/ex4x/ax4x/anything under 80€/m + VAT

We also moved to OVHCloud recently due to warning spam.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited April 2023

@momkin said: So anyone who is using the full port be careful your account will get terminated !

ughhhh hetzner clowns, watcha gonna do now?

https://yui.cat/as/AS24940/

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

@ralf said:

@momkin said:
    Confirmed !

80TB/m is enough to get warned and terminated on cheap servers like auction/ex4x/ax4x/anything under 80€/m + VAT

High-traffic clients are simply unprofitable clients, which load their switches and may cause issues in the network or nodes if it is a VPS server.

For just a small amount of money providers gets into a dilemma about what to do with those clients. If there are just some clients, it is not an issue, but if it is a decent amount, there are 2 options - ask to pay more to force clients to cancel services in that way or just terminate them.

There are no miracles. When internet traffic costs more than the customer pays, it's only a matter of time before such services will be canceled.

Do you have any options after OVHCloud?

Thanked by 1RapToN
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited April 2023

@bacloud said: There are no miracles.

yes there are, just dont sell your sh*t as unlimited ;)

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/general/traffic/

# All root servers have a dedicated 1 GBit uplink by default and with it unlimited traffic.

edited April 2023

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@ralf said:

@momkin said:
    Confirmed !

High-traffic clients are simply unprofitable clients, which load their switches and may cause issues in the network or nodes if it is a VPS server.

For just a small amount of money providers gets into a dilemma about what to do with those clients. If there are just some clients, it is not an issue, but if it is a decent amount, there are 2 options - ask to pay more to force clients to cancel services in that way or just terminate them.

There are no miracles. When internet traffic costs more than the customer pays, it's only a matter of time before such services will be canceled.

Network speed varies 1Gbps and 800 Mbps as my connection is not guaranteed, but it does not really matter to me and so far works pretty well.

The issue with Hetzner is, that they advertise unmetered traffic, yet its actually not unmetered at all.

Its unmetered if you are big customer with expensive servers, but not if you have 1-2 under 80€/m servers. It's technically a fraud if you advertise one thing and sell another. The reason why its not illegal is due to their special terms of services and acceptable use policy which you agree when ordering, where they reserve rights to limit you if you use too much resources like bandwidth. The amount threshold is unspecified.

It's deceptive at best.

But what did you expect from a provider that came up with these prices?

They adjusted those prices later, but after that you can expect any madness from them.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

Confirmed !

Network speed varies 1Gbps and 800 Mbps as my connection is not guaranteed, but it does not really matter to me and so far works pretty well.

The issue with Hetzner is, that they advertise unmetered traffic, yet its actually not unmetered at all.

Its unmetered if you are big customer with expensive servers, but not if you have 1-2 under 80€/m servers. It's technically a fraud if you advertise one thing and sell another. The reason why its not illegal is due to their special terms of services and acceptable use policy which you agree when ordering, where they reserve rights to limit you if you use too much resources like bandwidth. The amount threshold is unspecified.

It's deceptive at best.

They adjusted those prices later, but after that you can expect any madness from them.

Is anything wrong with Hetzner's IP prices?
    https://auctions.ipv4.global/

edited April 2023

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

Confirmed !

It's deceptive at best.

I'm so sorry that you do not have eyes, your life must be hard.

Let me explain briefly about the logic issue in the pricing.

By the time they made that price, those /24 blocks on that website were going for around 6-8k USD which is not much more than just setup the setup fees for a monthly rental. When ownership costs less than 20% more than setup fees to be able to rent the same thing, there is naturally no logic in the price.

I sincerely hope a fast recovery for you my friend.

The IP costs were also pre-VAT prices unlike what you quoted in that image of yours.

so /24 setup cost was about 5200-5500€ + 500€/m depending country.

Usually the eyes can be fixed, but brain damage is really hard to solve.

All the best for you man.

If you don't mind the price, I can also get you some /24 subnets for 500€/m, but I will have to charge roughly 8300€ setup fees for each of them. Cheap right? Look at the auction site. Theres no issue with the price.

• @stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

@bacloud said:

@stefeman said:

Confirmed !

It's deceptive at best.

I'm so sorry that you do not have eyes, your life must be hard.

Let me explain briefly about the logic issue in the pricing.

By the time they made that price, those /24 blocks on that website were going for around 6-8k USD which is not much more than just setup the setup fees for a monthly rental. When ownership costs less than 20% more than setup fees to be able to rent the same thing, there is naturally no logic in the price.

I sincerely hope a fast recovery for you my friend.

The IP costs were also pre-VAT prices unlike what you quoted in that image of yours.

so /24 setup cost was about 5200-5500€ + 500€/m depending country.

Usually the eyes can be fixed, but brain damage is really hard to solve.

All the best for you man.

If you don't mind the price, I can also get you some /24 subnets for 500€/m, but I will have to charge roughly 8300€ setup fees for each of them. Cheap right? Look at the auction site. Theres no issue with the price.

Well they lowered those prices drastically. It is now €659 instead of €4864.

I get your point, it doesn’t make sense what they were thinking in the first place when releasing those prices and how come pricing for something can be lowered from 5K to only 700.

In the end they lowered it and there’s no point coming up with that discussion anyway.