Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• I'm not seeing any order numbers being posted, maybe that's why you're running out of bandwidth.

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • emghemgh Member
    edited August 2022

@mwt said: the famous case of the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was hot (and won)

It wasn't just hot

Edit: It as practically boiling. Machine was broken, woman got hurt. Not a weird win at all.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @emgh said:

@mwt said: the famous case of the woman who sued McDonald's because her coffee was hot (and won)

It wasn't just hot

Edit: It as practically boiling. Machine was broken, woman got hurt. Not a weird win at all.

Machine wasn't broken, McD used to specifically keep coffee at a ridiculously high temperature, for some cost reasons. She spilt the coffee onto herself, and it did enough damage to require multiple surgeries, IIRC.

She asked McD to cover medical costs, they refused, she sued them. Then they started the media campaign about her suing them over just hot coffee. As we can all see, even though she won in the court of law, the campaign was very successful.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited August 2022

@AC_Fan said:

@emgh said:

It wasn't just hot

Machine wasn't broken, McD used to specifically keep coffee at a ridiculously high temperature, for some cost reasons. She spilt the coffee onto herself, and it did enough damage to require multiple surgeries, IIRC.

She asked McD to cover medical costs, they refused, she sued them. Then they started the media campaign about her suing them over just hot coffee. As we can all see, even though she won in the court of law, the campaign was very successful.

They still do, although it's not ridiculously high, it's 80-90 degC, ~5 degrees hotter than places like Starbucks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants#Coffee_temperature

• Hetzner promised me back then that there is no limit under any circumstances, so this thread is surprising to me.

However, in light of their past and planned price hike, it is perhaps not so surprising. Hetzner needs to save money. It's just disappointing because basically every LET provider (that survives) has more price security. They also abandoned CEPH storage for their VPS's, so they are nothing special anymore... :(

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • adlyadly Veteran

@gartenzaun said:
    Hetzner promised me back then that there is no limit under any circumstances, so this thread is surprising to me.

However, in light of their past and planned price hike, it is perhaps not so surprising. Hetzner needs to save money. It's just disappointing because basically every LET provider (that survives) has more price security. They also abandoned CEPH storage for their VPS's, so they are nothing special anymore... :(

Unless you've been told there is a limit, or if there is actual evidence of a limit being enforced (service terminated due to exceeding a limit), then at this time you can assume there is no limit. So far, all that has happened is a selection of customers have been informed that a limit may be enforced in the future.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

We all know everything have a limit there is no unlimited as hetzner announced to people but 250tb is so much for many of us.

• @adly They specifically told me and other people back then that 330/660TB is fine, even on the cheapest servers. Clearly, they changed their mind.

I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I was dying to know a limit in advance, to avoid being shut down later. Don't get me wrong, the previous rule where you were permanently limited to 10 mbit/s after exceeding your data cap was stupid, too. But there is a middle ground between convenience and transparency.

Hilariously, not even OP's email names a number. How do you "drastically reduce" 250TB? is 125TB drastically reduced?

Just tell us, Hetzner, it's not that hard. :| I wonder if I was even a profitable customer at 40/80TB/month on a 20€ server. :(

• emghemgh Member

@gartenzaun said:
    @adly They specifically told me and other people back then that 330/660TB is fine, even on the cheapest servers. Clearly, they changed their mind.

I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I was dying to know a limit in advance, to avoid being shut down later. Don't get me wrong, the previous rule where you were permanently limited to 10 mbit/s after exceeding your data cap was stupid, too. But there is a middle ground between convenience and transparency.

Hilariously, not even OP's email names a number. How do you "drastically reduce" 250TB? is 125TB drastically reduced?

Just tell us, Hetzner, it's not that hard. :| I wonder if I was even a profitable customer at 40/80TB/month on a 20€ server. :(

No there is no limit!!!1!1!1!! They can kick out based on limit!1!1!!1!1! It’s in the TOS!1!1!1!!

But also there is no limit!!1!1!1!1

If hetzner say its limited theyre allowed to!1!1!1!

Its is the tos!1!!1!1!1!

On a final note, there is no limit!1!1!1!!

• adlyadly Veteran

@gartenzaun said:
    @adly They specifically told me and other people back then that 330/660TB is fine, even on the cheapest servers. Clearly, they changed their mind.

Have they since told you to reduce your limit after using 330/660TB, or have they restricted your service in any way due to using too much?

As far as we know, the service is truly unlimited for those that have not received any notification, and until they actually do cancel or restrict a service for using too much data it remains unlimited even for those who received the notice.

I'm not defending Hetzner here, and their communication is generally quite poor, but unless there is clarification or actions being taken then only those who have received the notice should be concerned.

• adlyadly Veteran

@emgh said:

@gartenzaun said:

No there is no limit!!!1!1!1!! They can kick out based on limit!1!1!!1!1! It’s in the TOS!1!1!1!!

But also there is no limit!!1!1!1!1

If hetzner say its limited theyre allowed to!1!1!1!

Its is the tos!1!!1!1!1!

On a final note, there is no limit!1!1!1!!

They can kick out based on whatever reason they like based on their ToS, and there is indeed no need to assume there is a limit unless you have personally received notice otherwise. If they do start enforcing limits, then it will be a different matter.

• afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@adly said: if there is actual evidence of a limit being enforced (service terminated due to exceeding a limit), then at this time you can assume there is no limit.

Being banned and unable to order new servers is not enough evidence ? what else do you want as evidence ?

as @gartenzaun said, they just changed their mind like a moody kid without caring to admit it. Been with them for for years, and things have always been the same. They just throw a hissy fit, without caring to announce openly that their policy changed.

@adly said: So far, all that has happened is a selection of customers have been informed that a limit may be enforced in the future.

No, this is not true. You're looking at things at face-value, just reading what Hetzner say/right. But Hetzner is not honest. This was not an information, but a threat, and a kick out notice. Coming from "blacklist@hetzner" and customers who got this email are already banned from ordering new servers. Just because Hetzner did not admit does not mean they did not do it.

@adly said: and their communication is generally quite poor

Not only poor, but dishonest.

I have asked several times how much is acceptable so I can adapt my usage, and I got no reply. I asked why did one of your support agents lie and tell me I can do what I want in a previous ticket last year, and again, they did not reply. When we checked, it appears only 1 out of all our servers is using a lot of traffic, others are way lower, in the 20ish range at maximum (usually less!) but hey, it is Hetzner.

They are taking customers for granted nowadays because they're big enough not to care. Around 2013-2015, they were much better and a bit more open. Honesty and communication for complicated things like that only matter to 1-2% of customers. To Hetzner, they chose to lose those customers as it is insignificant rather then changing their methods.

If there was anything to be made clear, they would have replied to this thread, but they did not and they won't, because they have nothing to say and anything they say will make them look worse.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • adlyadly Veteran

@afn I've not seen any evidence of anyone being banned or Hetzner acting on their "threat", perhaps I missed this? I've seen someone say this happened, but nothing concrete.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

People are turning the tables and saying 200+TB users are at wrong, they are not, they simply used their allowance as told. I was with Hetzner when the limit was 20TB and I was fine with it, as long as it was stated clearly. With the lack of clear limit, next month they will send notices for 100+TB users, and next thing 10+ TB users. There is no telling.

I will let you see the issue for yourself between these 2 sentences :

@adly said: They can kick out based on whatever reason they like based on their ToS,

and

@adly said: unless there is clarification or actions being taken then only those who have received the notice should be concerned.

The thing is, everyone should be concerned, because you just said it yourself, they can kick you anytime. Now I know, most providers have ToS they say they can kick you out. But generally, this is just in theory as a measure to extreme cases and is not frequently used. But With Hetzner it is no longer theory or a matter of can, it is a fact, they do kick/ban people.

The thing that a lot of people here are failing to see is, today they wrote "250TB" in the email, and already banned people for doing nothing wrong, just using service as being advertised/told ! Tomorrow may be your turn for another shitty reason. Every one should be concerned, unless they apologize and admit they messed up this once, you should assume from now on this is the Standard Hetzner behavior, to kick people out, anytime, for any lame excuse even when you do nothing wrong.

If I am not mistaken @AXYZE had a kick-out from cloud affiliate program recently with no clear reason neither.

What is even worse, they say "if" in the email, but the reality they already blacklisted the customers. That's why the email comes from blacklist@hetzner, this explains it now, doesn't it? :smile:

So, everyone should understand, kick out for no reason is the new Hetzner thing.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • afnafn Member

@adly said: @afn I've not seen any evidence of anyone being banned or Hetzner acting on their "threat", perhaps I missed this? I've seen someone say this happened, but nothing concrete.

I am telling you it did happen :smile: you might have missed this

@afn said: people who already got the traffic notice mail, are already blacklisted and can't order new servers.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • mwtmwt Member
    edited August 2022

@iKeyZ said:

@AC_Fan said:

@emgh said:

It wasn't just hot

They still do, although it's not ridiculously high, it's 80-90 degC, ~5 degrees hotter than places like Starbucks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants#Coffee_temperature

My point isn't whether it's a weird win. These kinds of consumer protections don't exist at the EU level.

Another example is that Kinder surprise eggs are illegal in the US because 10 children died from choking on the toy inside. As far as I know, no other country banned the product.

Another still is that we don't have pin numbers on our debit cards because, by law, we are not responsible for charges we didn't make. This isn't true in Europe -- which I find shocking.

In the EU, if you give money to online scammers, that's on you. It's considered "gross negligence". In the US, the bank has to retrieve the money and you are never responsible.

The point here is that the US doesn't have "less" consumer protection than Europe. We have "different" consumer protections.

False advertising is not legal in the US. You have to put all the caveats in the add. This is why most ads in the US have 1-2 astrisks with lots of tiny text.

• @mwt said: Another still is that we don't have pin numbers on our debit cards because, by law, we are not responsible for charges we didn't make. This isn't true in Europe -- which I find shocking.

This isn't true - we are fully protected against fraudulent charges that we do not authorise using our payment information

Thanked by 1adly
  • emghemgh Member

@mwt said: Another still is that we don't have pin numbers on our debit cards because, by law, we are not responsible for charges we didn't make. This isn't true in Europe -- which I find shocking.

Half true. We're responsible with debit cards, but not with credit cards. So people usually get a credit card that they use anywhere deemed "not secure". They usually include many more insurances as well and are often free (except if not paid on time).

• mwtmwt Member

@lukehebb said:

@mwt said: Another still is that we don't have pin numbers on our debit cards because, by law, we are not responsible for charges we didn't make. This isn't true in Europe -- which I find shocking.

This isn't true - we are fully protected against fraudulent charges that we do not authorise using our payment information

Some Europeans in my program thought this was true as well until they had charges that they did not make and that could not be reversed.

@emgh said:

Half true. We're responsible with debit cards, but not with credit cards. So people usually get a credit card that they use anywhere deemed "not secure". They usually include many more insurances as well and are often free (except if not paid on time).

I know, but you still have the debit card. It's still an issue if you withdraw cash from a compromised ATM or something. The protections on credit cards are also a lot weaker than in the US due to what is considered "negligent".

The debit card is just an example. I knew someone who had thousands withdrawn from his bank account due to an illegitimate interbank transfer because a site that he gave his bank info to was a phishing site claiming to be a tax collection agency. He was on the hook for all the money. This is insane to me.

Meanwhile, it's insane to Europeans that we have almost no nonmedical data privacy laws, that many government employees are required to sign contracts that make it illegal for them to strike, and that it's legal to buy your child a gun -- but not a Kinder surprise egg.

• @emgh said:
    If I am not mistaken @AXYZE had a kick-out from cloud affiliate program recently with no clear reason neither.

It was half year ago, but true. They didn't give me any reason and didn't reply at all, but when I made drama on Hetzner thread I finally got reply. They cared when something went public and now we see they dont care even if something went public (this unlimited unmetered thingy)

Their response after public drama:
    "people who clicked on your links were violating the System Policies, specifically the ones regarding crypto-currencies and related applications."

So, I recommended their servers, had ref in my sig, but in the end they blame me for their own verification process and won't pay anything, 150 euro is frozen xD

Thanked by 2gartenzaun afn
  • ohhh in hetzner defense, pending is just ppl that used credits but did not pay for any service after, i had like 80 click just 10-20% ppl keep using and I received the $$

"Once they spent at least €⁠10 with us (not including credits)"

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @afn said:
    Oh btw,

It seems people who already got the traffic notice mail, are already blacklisted and can't order new servers. Orders will get denied without any notice.

Wow, that's fucked up. The best way for both parties would be to add another server and decrease that average use by 50% and increase revenue for Hetzner.

I'm guessing that Hetzner had a change in management and the new guy is incompetent as fuck.

I'm also guessing that Hetzner hasn't responded to this thread due to the legal implications of saying the wrong thing.

Someone should submit something to Slashdot and if it gets posted, Hetzner would have to respond due to the avalanche of PR.

Thanked by 1afn
  • afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@TimboJones said: Wow, that's fucked up. The best way for both parties would be to add another server and decrease that average use by 50% and increase revenue for Hetzner

After sending emails, and waiting for days (maybe a week+? I don't remember) This was the answer I got when I asked for a solution

"Order additional servers and divide the traffic more evenly among multiple servers."

(They did not specify how many servers btw and I asked how many servers is good for them, they never answered)

So I did order a new server to split things as instructed. Surprise, my order was deleted and I was not told until I asked few weeks later why my server have not been delivered.

It is no longer "both parties", I think they are simply splitting from these customers without saying it loud and clear because of the legal trouble they may get into if they admit not complying to their own terms (unlimited traffic). High traffic usage can not be used as legal reason to terminate a client as it is not against ToS nor the advertised service spec. But not accepting new orders is the legal workaround.

@TimboJones said: I'm guessing that Hetzner had a change in management and the new guy is incompetent as fuck.

Yes, I have this same guess too!

• xrzxrz Member

Ohh, how funny hetzner is, you now generated a invoice? F*** you off ;) Never ever.

https://i.imgur.com/mM0PCg5.png

• NdhaNdha Member

@afn said:

So I did order a new server to split things as instructed. Surprise, my order was deleted and I was not told until I asked few weeks later why my server have not been delivered.

This, it happened to me too..
    Twice order deleted without any info..

Thanked by 2afn xrz
  • @reb0rn said:
    ohhh in hetzner defense, pending is just ppl that used credits but did not pay for any service after, i had like 80 click just 10-20% ppl keep using and I received the $$

"Once they spent at least €⁠10 with us (not including credits)"

Ofc it could happen.
    But in my case I wasnt informed I was banned, thats the problem! No communication! It just froze!

I needed to ask them on email and then they said Im banned for abusing, even tho Im not the one who abused!

I dont know how much more people joined Hetzner, it was frozen for long time until I saw this problem. There was no info in panel too, I still saw these statistics with 150euro, it just froze and my code stopped working.

• ralfralf Member

@xrz said:
    Ohh, how funny hetzner is, you now generated a invoice? F*** you off ;) Never ever.

https://i.imgur.com/mM0PCg5.png

So is this the plot twist where you didn't actually cancel your contract and now have to pay for an extra month?

• xrzxrz Member

@ralf said: So is this the plot twist where you didn't actually cancel your contract and now have to pay for an extra month?

this is the cancelled servers, we wont pay a ****

• afnafn Member
    edited August 2022

@xrz said: this is the cancelled servers, we wont pay a ****

It is funny how they were the one to kick you out, blacklist you and then they invoice you and ask for more money.

Like c'mon, stay true to your guns Hetzner, you blacklisted someone, you don't want them then = you don't want their money neither! You can't not want the client but still want the money -_-

You should check the invoices tho, maybe some of it are remaining pro-rata days or something. I would still try to clear my "debt" (not necessarily by paying), but at least inform them they wrongly invoiced me (not that they will care nor even reply), but at least I would do it, to avoid the headache the day they send debt collectors

Edit: yup, as @Erisa said in the comment after mine.

• @xrz said:

@ralf said: So is this the plot twist where you didn't actually cancel your contract and now have to pay for an extra month?

this is the cancelled servers, we wont pay a ****

That probably isn't a hill you want to die on, unless you enjoy being visited by debt collectors. Check the previous invoice compared to this one and note the days the server was being paid for as well as the date they were supposed to be cancelled by. If you notice a discrepancy then call it out to them. Failing to pay the invoice will land you in serious legal trouble eventually.