Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner - Traffic Use Notice - unlimited != unlimited

Comments

• xrzxrz Member

u sure? :/

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

More tools please!

• @xrz said:

100 megabytes per second is about what I average on a 1gbit connection.
    60 seconds in a minute.
    60 minutes in an hour.
    24 hours in a day.
    30 days in a month.

Please correct me if I've made a mistake.

• They probably assumed 120 megabytes or more per second.

• ErisaErisa Member

@dahartigan said:

@xrz said:

100 megabytes per second is about what I average on a 1gbit connection.
    60 seconds in a minute.
    60 minutes in an hour.
    24 hours in a day.
    30 days in a month.

Please correct me if I've made a mistake.

Your mistake was assuming that 100 Megabyte is equal to 1 Gigabit, a true full speed dedicated gigabit connection would at maximum saturation be 125 MB.
    In practice on a Hetzner server I usually get around 120

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@dahartigan said: They probably assumed 120 megabytes or more per second.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1gbit/s+to+tb+per+month
    thats what hetzner sells, 1Gbit/s unlimited

so is 250TB same as ~320 TB?

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited July 2022

Another interesting factor is that Hetzner servers are capable of doing both Gigabit upload and Gigabit download, at the same time. And it isn't clear which one of those the email in the original post is referring to. If they are referring to the sum of both, rather than just upload, the theoretical maximum would be double.

• @Erisa said: Your mistake was assuming that 100 Megabyte is equal to 1 Gigabit

You assumed that I assumed they are equal. My reason was a) simplicity and b) more real-world figures, but either way - both our answers are close to enough to support the hypothesis that OP is hammering the port 24x7.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: servers are capable of doing both Gigabit upload and Gigabit download

thats what hetzner sells, 1Gbit/s unlimited, which is ~320 TB per month (now only 250TB)

• ErisaErisa Member

@xrz said:

@Erisa said: servers are capable of doing both Gigabit upload and Gigabit download

thats what hetzner sells, 1Gbit/s unlimited, which is ~320 TB per month (now only 250TB)

Hi, have you considered reading my post? Thanks.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: Hi, have you considered reading my post? Thanks.

you mean doing both 1Gbit up/down simult. ? well then traffic should be ~640 TB per month, but i assume it is ~320 TB (was, now 250TB as per them)

• ErisaErisa Member

@xrz said:

@Erisa said: Hi, have you considered reading my post? Thanks.

you mean doing both 1Gbit up/down simult. ? well then traffic should be ~640 TB per month, but i assume it is ~320 TB (was)

Yes, I don't really care about your crusade against Hetzner I was just pointing out that the theoretical maximum is potentially larger if they are counting both up and down, since those servers are capable of both at the same time (Not a thing all servers can do)

Only you would be able to know the answer of whether they counted purely 250 TB upload or whether they looked at both way, but I suppose in the end it was only my curiosity that wondered the difference.

• protonproton Barred

It's fair usage, the limitation is quite high not unlimited.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: Only you would be able to know the answer of whether they counted purely 250 TB upload or whether they looked at both way, but I suppose in the end it was only my curiosity that wondered the difference.

they count total traffic in total (in+out as total), never reach out that 320 TB ;)

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@proton said: It's fair usage, the limitation is quite high not unlimited.

then they should write in order page what limit is ;) since 1Gbit/s unlimited is 320 TB (+/-)

• ErisaErisa Member

@proton said:

I could be wrong but I believe the crux of their argument is centered around the fact that there is no point where Hetzner says that its fair usage. All documentation and support responses claim it is dedicated and that you can use as much as you want.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • xrzxrz Member

@Erisa said: All documentation and support responses claim it is dedicated and that you can use as much as you want.

https://docs.hetzner.com/robot/general/traffic
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18120500

yup :)

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

And also when you go to https://robot.your-server.de/server and hover on server, you get this funny little lie -> "This server includes unlimited traffic."

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2022

@xrz said:

then they should write in order page what limit is ;) since 1Gbit/s unlimited is 320 TB (+/-)

Hypothetically speaking if 320 TB was accurate, then you received a notification at the 78% mark (250/320) . If that is the case then it makes me wonder if they have an internal 80 percent threshold, which is undeclared.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@vyas11 said: Hypothetically speaking if 320 TB was accurate, then you received a notification at the 78% mark (250/320) . If that is the case then it makes me wonder if they have an internal 80 percent threshold, which is undeclared.

probably they can not hold the traffic they promised?

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said:

@proton said:

I could be wrong but I believe the crux of their argument is centered around the fact that there is no point where Hetzner says that its fair usage. All documentation and support responses claim it is dedicated and that you can use as much as you want.

And thats the problem - false advertising.

Hetzner still states that its dedicated and unlimited link everywhere, where multiple people got info that FUP limit is 250TB.
    No mention of FUP on their site and their support says that there's no traffic limits...

Its third time in recent history Hetzner does something without any info in advance and people need to be worried about their servers.

Implementing FUP is not a problem,
    telling customer that there is FUP when earlier you said its completly unlimited IS a problem.

Ofc they can cancel contract if they want, its their right, but if provider just randomly kicks you out for something they said (and still say on their website!!) is okay then... can you trust them?
    This is real question here.

Tomorrow they can say
    "You use 85% of your CPU in dedicated server and that goes above FUP limit, we will terminate your dedi".
    Bandwidth cost money, just as electricity right? Can we be sure they won't say it?

• ErisaErisa Member

@vyas11 said:

@xrz said:

Hypothetically speaking if 320 TB was accurate, then you received a notification at the 78% mark (250/320) . If that is the case then it makes me wonder if they have an internal 80 percent threshold, which is undeclared.

That was my assumption too, there most likely is an internal flag for >80% over an extended period, as a form of soft cap. Such soft caps are typically declared in the dredges of fair usage policies, however in this case it seems its not.

I also wonder how many other factors are at play - the email mentions how its "some" servers so I wonder whether doing it on multiple is what annoys them, or whether its just a simple case of an extended period of time (And even then, what are we talking here, how many months?)

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • xrzxrz Member

@AXYZE said: can you trust them?

no more...

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: the email mentions how its "some" servers so I wonder whether doing it on multiple is what annoys them

multiple servers, they was paid for 1gbit/s unlimited for every single one

• ErisaErisa Member

@xrz said:

@Erisa said: the email mentions how its "some" servers so I wonder whether doing it on multiple is what annoys them

multiple servers, they was paid for 1gbit/s unlimited for every single one

Right, but then it's not unreasonable to assume there's a remote possibility that maybe the notion of "Hetzner's new limit is 250TB/mo" may not be entirely correct, since its possible their FUP they're not telling anyone about could only impact it happening to multiple servers, it being over a longer period than simply one month, or any number of other factors that went into receiving that email.

Of course it would be nice if they published a fair usage policy, then we can stop speculating, but in the meantime we have to guess and should avoid making rash assumptions about what their soft cap is.
    Which I agree, is not a fun situation to be in if your usage involves blasting ports 24/7.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: f your usage involves blasting ports 24/7.

they sell 1Gbit/s unlimited, whats the problem? then dont sell it? make show limit on order page? detail page? everywhere i look it state unlimited

• ErisaErisa Member

@xrz said:

@Erisa said: f your usage involves blasting ports 24/7.

they sell 1Gbit/s unlimited, whats the problem? then dont sell it? make show limit on order page? detail page?

I mean, yeah, they need to show a limit if there is a limit, soft cap or not. I never doubted that.

You can focus on the crude wording if you want, but that line was actually agreeing with you, this situation where the FUP is not known or explained is a bad one to be in for a user like you (Or I suppose your friend..). Other users like me who average 10 TB/mo, wouldn't care as much.

The part of the post that you didn't reply to (Which is fine, you probably won't care) was me hypothesising that their soft cap may not be as simple as 250 TB in a single month, but rather more nuanced and involving multiple usage factors.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2022

@Erisa said: wouldn't care as much.

wait till they announce they can not hold 100+TB :D then limit your cpu, maybe ram? kidding :D

• protonproton Barred

It's just like buffet, they all advertised as unlimited, but you can't really cunsume terrible amount. I know you point is that they have not a clear limitation value, which makes people feel uncomfortable. It' interesting, hope all host company put a clear line to explain their fair usage policy, not only hetzner. Next time when who post unlimited host offer, ask this question first :D

Thanked by 1xrz