Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes falling apart? And a LiteServer short review - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes falling apart? And a LiteServer short review

Comments

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@hadawayandplay said: Some people on the other hand love smelling shit it seems.

Apparently you like it since you mentioned it.

• @Arkas said: Apparently you like it since you mentioned it.

On the contrary it's precisely because I don't like it that I keep saying what I'm saying.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@hadawayandplay said: On the contrary it's precisely because I don't like it that I keep saying what I'm saying.

Please address the issue of you using alt accounts. It is very much against the rules. I've mentioned it to you before, but you have not properly addressed it. Thanks.

• You really thought you'll get an explanation on anything 😂 Gullible.

• zedzed Member

i wonder if (some) people are reacting to this situation so negatively because of the whole family marketing gimmick? i guess that could explain the defenders too. it's interesting to watch play out.

@Arkas said:

@hadawayandplay said: Some people on the other hand love smelling shit it seems.

Apparently you like it since you mentioned it.

@Arkas said:

@hadawayandplay said: On the contrary it's precisely because I don't like it that I keep saying what I'm saying.

Please address the issue of you using alt accounts. It is very much against the rules. I've mentioned it to you before, but you have not properly addressed it. Thanks.

you're my favorite newmod, lol.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@zed said: you're my favorite newmod, lol.

Thanks man. I appreciate it the compliment :smiley:

• ralfralf Member

@zed said:
    i wonder if (some) people are reacting to this situation so negatively because of the whole family marketing gimmick? i guess that could explain the defenders too. it's interesting to watch play out.

I don't have any particular interest in NB, other than from a human angle. From what was described (and I don't know any of the people involved), to me it sounded like post-illness depression. I've got a close friend whose mum had depression, and it didn't end well in that situation, so I've always been hyper conscious that if I suspect it might be the case, to try to be supportive rather than creating additional anxiety for that person.

A large part of clinical depression is getting into a state where you start to believe that everything you've done is wrong, and there's literally nothing you can to do fix it, and that feeling of helplessness is self-reinforcing and just continues to make things worse. The way out of this spiral, is to focus on other things until you realise that actually any previous failures don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things, and that you are in control of your life.

As I say, I have no idea if this is the situation in this case, but assuming it is then he'll already be feeling far worse about how he's handled the situation than any of the customers feel about it. He'll know only too acutely that he's let people down. But any attempt to convey that to people will force him to reflect on that stuff more, and hinder any recovery. Conversely, meeting up with friends for what I suspect probably took an awful lot of courage to do if he is in this state, would have been one of the few things that would actually be positive. If he then reads on here how much crap people are giving him for meeting up with friends once, that'll make him think twice about doing the kind of thing that's needed to overcome his issues.

At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself why you want to continue to hound him for this statement. Who really cares who's in control of the company if it's getting back on track? Any company could be sold tomorrow and operated completely differently going forward. You've hopefully got disaster recovery strategies in place anyway, so honestly any temporary issues should just be a wake up call to not put all your hosting eggs in one basket.

As I've said, I have no idea what's actually going on in this situation. I could be well off base here. But if I'm right, I hope you guys will allow him time to recover, because it's not easy in these circumstances and until you've seen someone you know go through it, it's hard to imagine why you can't just pick yourself up and get on with life before. But honestly, you can't.

Again, apologies if I'm well off base here.

Thanked by 3Arkas angstrom zed
  • but for real, who doesn't have depression?

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited August 2022

@hadawayandplay @LTniger

I'm not saying that one can't or shouldn't criticize Jay for how he managed NB during most of this year -- on the contrary

I'm pretty sure that Jay has already paid a heavy price for his neglect in terms of reputation and services that customers have decided not to renew

But it's also the case that since Jord has been managing the daily affairs, fears of an imminent deadpool of NB seem to be less justified -- at least in the short term

What I'm saying is that it's not especially useful to beat (or to keep beating) a wounded horse

Thanked by 3Arkas ralf hyperblast
  • @ralf said: I don't have any particular interest in NB, other than from a human angle.

As opposed to an alien angle?

Thanked by 2Logano TimboJones
  • ralfralf Member

@noobjockeys said:

@ralf said: I don't have any particular interest in NB, other than from a human angle.

As opposed to an alien angle?

Don't make me have to men-in-black mind-wipe you!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@cybertech said:
    but for real, who doesn't have depression?

The economy… so far

As per fudged data for most countries, not even recession

• @vyas11 said:

@cybertech said:

The economy… so far

very often the problem with depression is that nobody likes to admit it until it's too late 🤣

@vyas11 said:

@cybertech said:

The economy… so far

It's inflation time

• @ralf said:

@zed said:

I don't have any particular interest in NB, other than from a human angle. From what was described (and I don't know any of the people involved), to me it sounded like post-illness depression. I've got a close friend whose mum had depression, and it didn't end well in that situation, so I've always been hyper conscious that if I suspect it might be the case, to try to be supportive rather than creating additional anxiety for that person.

A large part of clinical depression is getting into a state where you start to believe that everything you've done is wrong, and there's literally nothing you can to do fix it, and that feeling of helplessness is self-reinforcing and just continues to make things worse. The way out of this spiral, is to focus on other things until you realise that actually any previous failures don't actually matter in the grand scheme of things, and that you are in control of your life.

As I say, I have no idea if this is the situation in this case, but assuming it is then he'll already be feeling far worse about how he's handled the situation than any of the customers feel about it. He'll know only too acutely that he's let people down. But any attempt to convey that to people will force him to reflect on that stuff more, and hinder any recovery. Conversely, meeting up with friends for what I suspect probably took an awful lot of courage to do if he is in this state, would have been one of the few things that would actually be positive. If he then reads on here how much crap people are giving him for meeting up with friends once, that'll make him think twice about doing the kind of thing that's needed to overcome his issues.

At the end of the day, you've got to ask yourself why you want to continue to hound him for this statement. Who really cares who's in control of the company if it's getting back on track? Any company could be sold tomorrow and operated completely differently going forward. You've hopefully got disaster recovery strategies in place anyway, so honestly any temporary issues should just be a wake up call to not put all your hosting eggs in one basket.

As I've said, I have no idea what's actually going on in this situation. I could be well off base here. But if I'm right, I hope you guys will allow him time to recover, because it's not easy in these circumstances and until you've seen someone you know go through it, it's hard to imagine why you can't just pick yourself up and get on with life before. But honestly, you can't.

Again, apologies if I'm well off base here.

recreational psychologists / psychiatrists and dubious remote diagnoses do not get us anywhere here.

@cybertech said:

@vyas11 said:

@cybertech said:

The economy… so far

very often the problem with depression is that nobody likes to admit it until it's too late 🤣

Regarding depression -- real depression -- it's a merciless condition

The most harrowing personal account of depression that I've read was a recent piece in The Guardian entitled "'There are no words for the horror': the story of my madness":

This personal account is by a French writer, Emmanuel Carrère

I had never read anything like this before

(It's a long piece, so one needs to devote some time and attention to it)

• ralfralf Member

@hyperblast said:
    recreational psychologists / psychiatrists and dubious remote diagnoses do not get us anywhere here.

It was a long wall of text, sorry. Perhaps it would have been better expressed as: have some compassion for a fellow person who might be dealing with some things you don't understand because you and people you know are fortunate enough to have never experienced.

• @ralf said:

@hyperblast said:

It was a long wall of text, sorry. Perhaps it would have been better expressed as: have some compassion for a fellow person who might be dealing with some things you don't understand because you and people you know are fortunate enough to have never experienced.

Wouldn’t be the first wall of text in this discussion

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2022

@angstrom @ralf

@ralf said:

I'm somewhere in the middle. On one hand I understand that Jay / @seriesn should not be condemned and that he should even be supported.
    On the other hand when thinking with my head rather than my heart questions arise. Questions like "oh really, and why would that be, why am I supposed to add even more patience to an already large heap of patience that (not only) I showed?" or like "and based on what? What is it that Jay in balance took upon himself to earn that?".
    Also I can't help but notice that this is not about a relative or a friend. Add to that how "friend" is defined; is someone who may be thousands of miles away, says, granted, nice things - but then suddenly is AWOL for months - really a friend? Plus, the very basis of everything was a deal, a good deal, yes, but still, just a deal.

But I'm not seriously holding that against Jay; I can and do understand that the big random generator called "life" occasionally dishes out devastating cards.

But there is more, there also is an item that for me tipped the scales and weighs heavily: A broken promise. Again! And this time I have to assume that the broken promise was given to @Jord, to the person who jumped in to help Jay, to help not as in "saying nice things" but as in "actually getting involved and turning things around and fixing things" .

But hey that's just me, a guy who actually understands and remembers that at the end of the day we are not family but customers, maybe customers who like(d) Jay or even help(ed) Jay, but still customers. Plus I'm a guy who happens to not take serially broken promises lightly. YMMV.

TL;DR At the end of the day we are not family or friends but customers, at least mainly. Plus, even if we wanted to help, how could we do that when they guy (supposedly) needing our help doesn't even talk to us?

About the only way I see is by staying on board and paying, which I did and do, but for that Jay increasingly needs to thank Jord, not "family" PR blabla.

• So much emotions when there's so many fish in the sea. Hosts have to be scratching their heads as to how they can build similar brand loyalty.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@rogerwilco said: So much emotions when there's so many fish in the sea. Hosts have to be scratching their heads as to how they can build similar brand loyalty.

The formula is simple. HIGH quality products AND services at AFFORDABLE prices.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @Arkas said:

@rogerwilco said: So much emotions when there's so many fish in the sea. Hosts have to be scratching their heads as to how they can build similar brand loyalty.

The formula is simple. HIGH quality products AND services at AFFORDABLE prices.

*LOW prices

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@webcraft said: *LOW prices

That's difficult. Jay's prices weren't low, they were affordable. :smile:

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • ralfralf Member
    edited August 2022

@jsg said:
    TL;DR At the end of the day we are not family or friends but customers, at least mainly.

Actually, maybe this is partly a problem with the community. If it was any other company that didn't have a representative on here, then it'd just be "oh support was a bit shitty for a couple of months" and that'd be the end of it other than maybe the decision to stay or leave.

But providers who voluntarily submit themselves to being part of the community seem to end up having a lot more expectations on them. Obviously, there's upsides to it for them as well, especially when they're just getting started, but I think a lot of people don't realise how lucky we are to be able to talk directly to decision makers in the places that host our data rather than just being some anonymous customer number.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@ralf said: "oh support was a bit shitty for a couple of months"

It's not just this though, a lot of services were down for a while, no tickets being answered for weeks. It's not just support taking a few extra days.

Unsure why all the quick defence and justification from multiple people when Jay himself hasn't even said anything - a lot of assumptions being made about what has been going on.

• tenperatenpera Member
    edited August 2022

@jsg, Jay, @seriesn are all one(same) person?

Thanked by 2Server yoursunny
  • @tenpera said:

Close enough.

Thanked by 3adly Server Erisa
  • @dahartigan said:

@tenpera said:

Close enough.

You think so?
    I thought that one of them was the grammarly version of cociu

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @vyas11 said:

@dahartigan said:

@tenpera said:

Close enough.

You think so?
    I thought that one of them was the grammarly version of cociu

When it comes to such questioning I prefer to let the chicken do the thinking.

• jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited August 2022

Good thing I thought Bob was a bit sus... Dodgy stuff. Glad I avoided.