Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes falling apart? And a LiteServer short review - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes falling apart? And a LiteServer short review

Comments

• ralfralf Member

@iKeyZ said:
    I appreciate what @Jord is doing, but he still doesn't "own" NB and if the plug was pulled higher up I'm unsure what he'd really be able to do..

I would assume as he sounded like the timeframe of his involvement would be years rather than months, and as it has the potential to consume a lot of his time, that there'd be some kind of contract involved.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • LeviLevi Member

No matter timeframe. Owner must issue official statement about the current project status.

Saying "Jord is solid" won't cut it, as owner may say "k folks, no more renewal for servers" and Jordan will come here to say what? "Sorry, I'am just victim as you are...". He is not an owner, just contractor.

Each week passed without official statement is spit in the face of loyal customers. Spare 2 minutes of your time to blast an email via WHMCS mailing system. That's it. After all, "the family" is waiting...

• ArkasArkas Moderator
    edited August 2022

@LTniger said: Each week passed without official statement is spit in the face of loyal customers. Spare 2 minutes of your time to blast an email via WHMCS mailing system. That's it. After all, "the family" is waiting...

Perhaps the situation is so dire, that Jay is unable to do even that simple task. I'm pretty sure many of us have guessed what type of issue he is facing. While I certainly agree that not hearing from him isn't a good sign, I also have to weigh in the possibility that the problem he is facing is quiet serious.
    Just a few thoughts.

Thanked by 1ralf
  • zedzed Member

@Arkas said:

@LTniger said: Each week passed without official statement is spit in the face of loyal customers. Spare 2 minutes of your time to blast an email via WHMCS mailing system. That's it. After all, "the family" is waiting...

Perhaps the situation is so dire, that Jay is unable to do even that simple task. I'm pretty sure many of us have guessed what type of issue he is facing. While I certainly agree that not hearing from him isn't a good sign, I also have to way in the possibility that the problem he is facing is quiet serious.
    Just a few thoughts.

maybe another proof of life selfie would soothe the rabble

Thanked by 2iKeyZ bulbasaur
  • ralfralf Member

@zed said:

@Arkas said:

Perhaps the situation is so dire, that Jay is unable to do even that simple task. I'm pretty sure many of us have guessed what type of issue he is facing. While I certainly agree that not hearing from him isn't a good sign, I also have to way in the possibility that the problem he is facing is quiet serious.
    Just a few thoughts.

maybe another proof of life selfie would soothe the rabble

You needed another copy of your profile picture after that comment! :D

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@zed said: maybe another proof of life selfie would soothe the rabble

There are certain 'issues' in life that may have allowed him to get out for a few hours and take that pic, but be unable to face other issues. Anyhow, I am just making observations, I don't know anymore than the rest do, so I could be wrong.

• ralfralf Member

I also know nothing of the situation, but in the same vein, meeting up with friends could have been massively helping in dealing with whatever he's going through. For all we know, it might have been the only time in months that he was able to get out of the house and see some friends. But if that's he case, and then he read the massive amounts of resentment people have for him seeing a couple of friends while ill, that could make him feel guilty doing so and make him fearful for doing so again because he wouldn't know what the repercussions of that would be.

Ultimately most of us have no idea what the issue is, but it's clear it's quite serious or he'd have been back by now. If @Jord is now handling the business day-to-day, and you trust him, and he's getting stuff back on track, then do you even need a statement from him directly? Writing such a thing is going to be a really difficult process, and maybe he'd be better off never doing it. If the business gets back to normal under @Jord's stewardship, can't that be enough?

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@ralf said:
    I also know nothing of the situation, but in the same vein, meeting up with friends could have been massively helping in dealing with whatever he's going through. For all we know, it might have been the only time in months that he was able to get out of the house and see some friends. But if that's he case, and then he read the massive amounts of resentment people have for him seeing a couple of friends while ill, that could make him feel guilty doing so and make him fearful for doing so again because he wouldn't know what the repercussions of that would be.

Ultimately most of us have no idea what the issue is, but it's clear it's quite serious or he'd have been back by now. If @Jord is now handling the business day-to-day, and you trust him, and he's getting stuff back on track, then do you even need a statement from him directly? Writing such a thing is going to be a really difficult process, and maybe he'd be better off never doing it. If the business gets back to normal under @Jord's stewardship, can't that be enough?

It could have been, sure - but unfortunately all of this is just hearsay as we do not know for sure what the original issue was.

Looking at it from outside, we have been told that he would release a statement "next week" being two weeks ago now. Releasing a statement - even just an update from Jay would have sufficed, but nothing has been done at all. It doesn't have to be an essay and full in-depth of what has been going on, just a "I'm doing ok, the company is ok" - this shouldn't all be coming from @Jord

Thanked by 1adly
  • This is heading towards being hostdoc V2 I think.

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • @dahartigan said:
    This is heading towards being hostdoc V2 I think.

lol all so familiar

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2022

We are not judges although it seems to be quite irresistible to act like one for many.

(At least almost) nobody got a NexusBytes VPS because of and for Jay / @seriesn. Nope, we got our NB VPS, at least mainly, because the mix was attractive. A fast Ryzen, good RAM, nice disk/NVMe, decent or even great (depending on location I guess) connectivity, node not overcrowded plus quite good and usually decently fast support - and all of that for a reasonable, even decent price. THAT is why we bought NexusBytes VPS.

I'm as p_ssed off as anyone else - but I'm not a judge (nor a "bro" or "NB family") but a techie.
    So at the end of the day it boils down to a simple question: Are my VPS working properly, yes or no? The answer, thanks to @Jord, is "Yes" again. Plus: is NexusBytes support operational, helpful, and solving our problems? The answer seems to be "Yes" too (experience with the "new NB with Jord" still a bit thin).
    At the end of the day I don't care about who is day to day running NexusBytes; is it Jay? Was nice while it lasted. Is it Jord? Perfectly acceptable it seems. And who answers my tickets (which I currently don't have/need)? Frankly, me not care whether it's Swarma, Omprakash, or Prabodh, or maybe Josh or Kevin. What I care about is that they do their job reasonably quick and well. And it seems Jord takes care of and sees to that too.

@seriesn

You are behaving like a damn a__hole and I'm angry at you. I do remember though that you were a really nice person who created a really nice company. I hope you'll fully recover and I wish you well.

@all

We are not NB's or Jay's judges, we are customers - and our VPS seem to work fine (again). And that's pretty much all that counts.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • Jord made it sound like Jay was sent to mental hospital and nobody knows when he's coming back. Might be months might be years. Not sure what else can prevent you from typing 1 sentence in a forum where you built your company that is feeding you.

If its really health related I wish him best of luck of course, but it would have to be very serious illness to explain this. Which I really hope isnt the case.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @hadawayandplay said:
    Any criticism isn't aimed at @Jord - I think he's naive in taking on this poison chalice and potentially staking his own reputation on a lost cause. I too wish him good luck, but I do not accept that this gets @seriesn off the hook and I don't think people should turn a blind eye on what has been on-going for quite some time now. It's a classic distraction technique to take the pressure off for the short-term, but this demonstrably is a long-term issue and the trust the "fam" once had in NB is long, LONG gone.*

*except for a few gullible, naive fools. Look up, “If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell to you”

I repeat.

Thanked by 1adly
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@jsg said:
    We are not judges although it seems to be quite irresistible to act like one for many.

(At least almost) nobody got a NexusBytes VPS because of and for Jay / @seriesn. Nope, we got our NB VPS, at least mainly, because the mix was attractive. A fast Ryzen, good RAM, nice disk/NVMe, decent or even great (depending on location I guess) connectivity, node not overcrowded plus quite good and usually decently fast support - and all of that for a reasonable, even decent price. THAT is why we bought NexusBytes VPS.

I'm as p_ssed off as anyone else - but I'm not a judge (nor a "bro" or "NB family") but a techie.
    So at the end of the day it boils down to a simple question: Are my VPS working properly, yes or no? The answer, thanks to @Jord, is "Yes" again. Plus: is NexusBytes support operational, helpful, and solving our problems? The answer seems to be "Yes" too (experience with the "new NB with Jord" still a bit thin).
    At the end of the day I don't care about who is day to day running NexusBytes; is it Jay? Was nice while it lasted. Is it Jord? Perfectly acceptable it seems. And who answers my tickets (which I currently don't have/need)? Frankly, me not care whether it's Swarma, Omprakash, or Prabodh, or maybe Josh or Kevin. What I care about is that they do their job reasonably quick and well. And it seems Jord takes care of and sees to that too.

@seriesn

You are behaving like a damn a__hole and I'm angry at you. I do remember though that you were a really nice person who created a really nice company. I hope you'll fully recover and I wish you well.

@all

We are not NB's or Jay's judges, we are customers - and our VPS seem to work fine (again). And that's pretty much all that counts.

Curious..
    Do you just wake up one morning and decide to switch sides or opinions? Or is that weekly?
  • He got his 50$.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • On a separate note
    Current state of affairs with the NB "Family". I am sure it was important at some point in time.
    family-impotent

Thanked by 2TimboJones Logano
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2022

@drizbo said:
    Jord made it sound like Jay was sent to mental hospital and nobody knows when he's coming back.

That's not how I read it. But yes, I too am under the impression that both, whether Jay / @seriesn ever returns and if so when, are, uhm, very open and likely to stay open for some not known but potentially long period of time.

@vyas11 said:
    Curious..
    Do you just wake up one morning and decide to switch sides or opinions? Or is that weekly?

So typical, an ad hominem ...

But I'll answer your "question" anyway. Usually my opinions aren't set in stone but change along with changes in reality, factors, states, etc. Example at hand: First my NexusBytes worked well, support was good and responsive, and Jay / @seriesn was reliable. Then it changed and quite dramatically albeit slowly. Then @Jord entered the NB stage, took care of NB, and brought things back to kind of normal. And my opinion and view changed accordingly. I call that healthy but you are of course free to set your opinions in stone and to look down on those who don't and call that "curious".

• @jsg said: But I'll answer your "question" anyway. Usually my opinions aren't set in stone but change along with changes in reality, factors, states, etc. Example at hand: First my NexusBytes worked well, support was good and responsive, and Jay / @seriesn was reliable. Then it changed and quite dramatically albeit slowly. Then @Jord entered the NB stage, took care of NB, and brought things back to kind of normal. And my opinion and view changed accordingly. I call that healthy but you are of course free to set your opinions in stone and to look down on those who don't and call that "curious".

In a word, fickle.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2022

@jsg said:

@drizbo said:
    Jord made it sound like Jay was sent to mental hospital and nobody knows when he's coming back.

That's not how I read it. But yes, I too am under the impression that both, whether Jay / @seriesn ever returns and if so when, are, uhm, very open and likely to stay open for some not known but potentially long period of time.

@vyas11 said:
    Curious..

So typical, an ad hominem ...

But I'll answer your "question" anyway. Usually my opinions aren't set in stone but change along with changes in reality, factors, states, etc. Example at hand: First my NexusBytes worked well, support was good and responsive, and Jay / @seriesn was reliable. Then it changed and quite dramatically albeit slowly. Then @Jord entered the NB stage, took care of NB, and brought things back to kind of normal. And my opinion and view changed accordingly. I call that healthy but you are of course free to set your opinions in stone and to look down on those who don't and call that "curious".

I see a parallel between your posts about Hostsolutions and now NB. Then it was your 7 of 9 or some yada yadaa, and no amount of flip flop prevented the inevitable.

Here the trend is similar.

Not sure about other past deadpools, but maybe there was that pattern again.

Thanks for the insights.

A correlation one can develop is flip flop verbal diarrhoea walls of text from your posts is closely linked to a provider deadpool. Correlation, not causation.

ps: In the past one has published reviews of NB and heck even created artwork. But then the incommunicado mode on business front is unfortunate, albeit on personal end there is no affront, only kind wishes for Jay.

• ralfralf Member

Is fickleness such a big deal? If you have a problem, chances are many people also have a problem. It's clear that many people did have an issue with NB with the absence of anyone in control. It's also clear that now there is someone in control, it's getting back in order.

The alternative is dogmatism, whether positive or negative. You only have to glance at the Virmach threads to see that their support has been total chaos ever since BF. But there's a rabid bunch of loyal fans who'll defend them to the death even though there are tickets that have been open for months and then auto-closed, repeated tickets about the instance not working being ignored for weeks and then fines added for daring to raise another ticket, etc. Objectively, that situation is much, much worse, but he's "one of us" so it's tolerated. Fortunately they now seem to be finally breaking the camel's back on their issues as well.

Isn't it really better to judge a company on what they're doing right now? By all accounts, NB was a phenomenal provider in the past, had a few months of issues due to illness, and is now being brought back up to the standard everybody know from before. Getting angry with them in their down period is a fair response, but recognising their turn around also should be.

Thanked by 3Arkas jsg zed
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

@hadawayandplay said: In a word, fickle.

more like adaptive, which is healthy.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

People conveniently forgetting things that were supposed to happen.

and

Again, don't get me wrong - what @Jord is doing is great and has helped a lot of people, but @seriesn is still in control of everything and should have made a statement like said.

Like others have said, this is like a repeat of the HS thread all over again. It would be nice to get (a short) update from @seriesn about NB going forwards.

• lol it's not gonna happen. Jord has foolishly put his rep on the line and Jay hasn't stick to his side of the deal. I and some others saw this coming a mile off. There are so many naive & gullible people on here it's unreal.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Jay is alive.
    He is still in charge of affiliate payouts and I received mine.

Thanked by 1adly
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Unless one knows a person and their circumstances really well, it's not easy to know what their exact struggles are

In Jay's case, I imagine that the struggles are largely psychological (depression?), but this is only a wild guess

A valid criticism is that he didn't seek help with running NB until rather late in the day, but now that Jord is onboard, there's reason to feel optimistic about NB (at least in the short term)

Given this, I don't think that it's especially productive or useful "to be/feel angry at Jay" or 'to demand a statement from him". Naturally, we would all welcome a statement from him, but I suspect that he's not yet in a psychological state in which he could easily compose a statement

From a customer's point of view, if the daily operations are being managed properly again and tickets are being answered again, this is or should be good enough (for the time being)

Thanked by 2ralf Arkas
  • @angstrom said: From a customer's point of view, if the daily operations are being managed properly

Some would say promising an update and not delivering on this is shitty. Some people on the other hand love smelling shit it seems.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@hadawayandplay said:

@angstrom said: From a customer's point of view, if the daily operations are being managed properly

Some would say promising an update and not delivering on this is shitty. Some people on the other hand love smelling shit it seems.

No need to overreact in this way

I don't recall that Jay himself promised an update: wasn't it rather Jord who "promised" that there would be an update from Jay?

I'm sure that an update from Jay will eventually come, but given that Jord is now managing the daily affairs, it seems unproductive to keep shouting/cursing about the lack of an update from Jay

• @angstrom said: I don't recall that Jay himself promised an update: wasn't it rather Jord who "promised" that there would be an update from Jay?

Jay has apparently delegated matters to Jord for the purposes of steadying the ship. This is evident by Jord affecting some limited solutions, therefore he is in a position of considerable responsibility and control. Jay is therefore only too aware of the fall-out of his incompetence and has dragged Jord down with him. Furthermore, Jord has been active on this forum recently and despite this has also ignored community requests for the update he by proxy promised.
    If making excuses was an Olympic sport, there'd be some WR holders on this forum.

Thanked by 1adly
  • LeviLevi Member

@angstrom said:
    it seems unproductive to keep shouting/cursing about the lack of an update from Jay

Will iy be productive when provider flops eventually and disapear? The guy exploited community by building trust on "family" agenda. Gulible people also deserve some respect, that's why insisting for an answer from the owner is important. This is grey area scam.