Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@dahartigan said:

@MannDude said:
    The quality content you speak of is copying and pasting some phrase over and over and the new user engagement is English as second language users complaining about delivery and performance, strung together via Google Translste.

Real high quality content.

"Pointless Bump" bad but had I requested (before you ever mentioned paid provider status) people bump the thread with "Incog Gang hrr drr" that would have been the quality user engagement that you're trying to attract.

Top tier content.

All the new users that Dustin attracts to LET are potential customers of yours too.

LOL. I guess the same could be said vice versa.

• @MannDude said:

@dahartigan said:

@MannDude said:
    The quality content you speak of is copying and pasting some phrase over and over and the new user engagement is English as second language users complaining about delivery and performance, strung together via Google Translste.

"Pointless Bump" bad but had I requested (before you ever mentioned paid provider status) people bump the thread with "Incog Gang hrr drr" that would have been the quality user engagement that you're trying to attract.

Top tier content.

All the new users that Dustin attracts to LET are potential customers of yours too.

LOL. I guess the same could be said vice versa.

Yes, the same could be true vice versa, all things being equal and all of that lol

@MannDude said:

Top tier content.

@jbiloh can we get confirmation that if I pay that my threads will have the same treatment as others that are constantly bumped?

I'll just ask for people to respond with a phrase other than "pointless bump" since that seems to have been the issue. I haven't decided what phrase I want mindlessly copy and pasted hundreds of times, but I want to make sure it's on par and comparable to what you already allow.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@MannDude said:

@MannDude said:

Top tier content.

@jbiloh can we get confirmation that if I pay that my threads will have the same treatment as others that are constantly bumped?

I'll just ask for people to respond with a phrase other than "pointless bump" since that seems to have been the issue. I haven't decided what phrase I want mindlessly copy and pasted hundreds of times, but I want to make sure it's on par and comparable to what you already allow.

I'm sure it will be! Especially if you're doing only one VPS giveaway!

• @MannDude said:

@MannDude said:

Top tier content.

You already know the answer to that question, it seems like you're being facetious for the sake of it. You would have to be insane to think it's okay to ask for pointless bumps so openly.

You would have to actually put in some effort and devise a way to generate some engagement in your threads that give the people some reason to reply to your thread.

Instead of complaining and saying the playing field isn't fair, why not take the opportunity to show LET how a provider can have a thread with massive engagement without "pointless bumps" in your next sales thread? (This isn't aimed at you directly, Senor Incognito, but all providers who share your sentiment)

Thanked by 2Not_Oles Liso

@dahartigan said:

@MannDude said:

@MannDude said:

Top tier content.

You already know the answer to that question, it seems like you're being facetious for the sake of it. You would have to be insane to think it's okay to ask for pointless bumps so openly.

You would have to actually put in some effort and devise a way to generate some engagement in your threads that give the people some reason to reply to your thread.

Instead of complaining and saying the playing field isn't fair, why not take the opportunity to show LET how a provider can have a thread with massive engagement without "pointless bumps" in your next sales thread? (This isn't aimed at you directly, Senor Incognito, but all providers who share your sentiment)

Exactly, complain less, do the work, mimic the success you admire, and capture success.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

Looking forward to you grabbing a provider tag @MannDude
    By the way, and I sincerely offer this, if you need business/marketing assistance, I'd be happy to help. Even chatting over the phone, etc.

edited April 2022

I'll literally pay the fee if @jbiloh says that I can do what I was doing before.

I was doing giveaways, like RackNerd and Virmach and others. I was having people comment in the thread to enter to win and to increase visibility of the offer, just like @dustinc and @VirMach.

Does the text matter? The only purpose is to bump the thread above others so that it is seen by more people. I'm not giving away products out of the kindness of my heart and neither are they, it's business. It costs nothing to have a bunch of people spam comments with nonsensical copy/pasted text to enter to win something. I might be saying the quiet part aloud, but we all know what it is whether you're a consumer or a provider.

I don't even really have stock available now besides domain names and shared hosting until we get our new stuff up in new locations (Zurich???), but I'll literally pay the fee right now if it means I can continue the same low effort, low quality, no-value-added-to-the-community style of posts that myself, RackNerd, Virmach and others have created to promote our brands.

Thanked by 1KermEd

@MannDude said:
    I'll literally pay the fee if @jbiloh says that I can do what I was doing before.

I was doing giveaways, like RackNerd and Virmach and others. I was having people comment in the thread to enter to win and to increase visibility of the offer, just like @dustinc and @VirMach.

Does the text matter? The only purpose is to bump the thread above others so that it is seen by more people. I'm not giving away products out of the kindness of my heart and neither are they, it's business. It costs nothing to have a bunch of people spam comments with nonsensical copy/pasted text to enter to win something.

I don't even really have stock available now besides domain names and shared hosting until we get our new stuff up in new locations, but I'll literally pay the fee right now if it means I can continue the same low effort, low quality, no-value-added-to-the-community style of posts that myself, RackNerd, Virmach and others have created to promote our brands.

We in fact are giving out products for a year free of charge, no obligation to renew and hundreds of them :) On top of that, we're giving out cash via Venmo, company swag (shipped on our dime domestic and international) and much more. Perhaps you've missed that. You're free to join in on our threads for a chance to win as well.

• @MannDude said: It ****costs nothing**** to have a bunch of people spam comments with nonsensical copy/pasted text to enter to win something.

My man, it costs the business something to run a giveaway, either cash or stock. That is a cost of business usually referred to as marketing/customer acquisition :)

It costs the entrant nothing to enter except a low effort copy/paste or invoice number.

edited April 2022

@dustinc said:

@MannDude said:

Does the text matter? The only purpose is to bump the thread above others so that it is seen by more people. I'm not giving away products out of the kindness of my heart and neither are they, it's business. It costs nothing to have a bunch of people spam comments with nonsensical copy/pasted text to enter to win something.

I don't even really have stock available now besides domain names and shared hosting until we get our new stuff up in new locations, but I'll literally pay the fee right now if it means I can continue the same low effort, low quality, no-value-added-to-the-community style of posts that myself, RackNerd, Virmach and others have created to promote our brands.

We in fact are giving out products for a year free of charge, no obligation to renew and hundreds of them :) On top of that, we're giving out cash via Venmo, company swag (shipped on our dime domestic and international) and much more. Perhaps you've missed that. You're free to join in on our threads for a chance to win as well.

Of course.

And comparing the scale and size of our two separate brands, I'd be willing to bet that what we've given away is proportional in size to our companies. You representing the larger of the two, obviously.

I don't believe there is a rule in how much or how little one should give away in threads to qualify for low-effort comment spam to bump threads. You comment to enter, regardless if it's for Amazon gift cards, venmo cash, stickers, or hosting services.

No one is denying that you have more financial resources to dedicate to giveaways. I'm simply stating that I have been inspired by your threads, added my own flair, aka the "pointless bump" (which was seen as acceptable by community members who share similar views as me) and did giveaways as well. There is no harm in a group poking fun and enjoying themselves on this forum to enter to win a prize, as big or small as it may be, in an offer / promotional thread.

I'll continue to do that under the paid for provider tag if @jbiloh will let me mimic the success of some of his favorite brands.

@MannDude said:

@dustinc said:

@MannDude said:

Of course.

And comparing the scale and size of our two separate brands, I'd be willing to bet that what we've given away is proportional in size to our companies. You representing the larger of the two, obviously.

I don't believe there is a rule in how much or how little one should give away in threads to qualify for low-effort comment spam to bump threads. You comment to enter, regardless if it's for Amazon gift cards, venmo cash, stickers, or hosting services.

No one is denying that you have more financial resources to dedicate to giveaways. I'm simply stating that I have been inspired by your threads, added my own flair, aka the "pointless bump" (which was seen as acceptable by community members who share similar views as me) and did giveaways as well.

I'll continue to do that under the paid for provider tag if @jbiloh will let me mimic the success of some of his favorite brands.

Totally understandable -- I believe that with commitment you can go further. You really should consider all the freebies LEB has to offer to obtain the brand exposure you deserve.

I believe where you fail is that (presently) and of course with comments such as low effort and such - you're essentially being negative about it, and when attempting to mimic you still fail with conversions, views, and overall comment QTY.

I know I can help you. Please grab a provider tag, and then connect me for on the house marketing/sales tips.

Thanked by 2dahartigan aliceys
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@dustinc said:

By the way, and I sincerely offer this, if you need business/marketing assistance, I'd be happy to help. Even chatting over the phone, etc.

Please grab a provider tag, and then connect me for on the house marketing/sales tips.

Hey Dustin! May I please have this kind of help too? Thanks! Tom 🙂

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Not_Oles said:
    @dustinc said:

Please grab a provider tag, and then connect me for on the house marketing/sales tips.

MetalVPS has a provider tag now.
    I guess it isn't paid, since the same account is a Moderator.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @CheepCluck is selling 100% genuine counterfeit provider tags.

• did Nekki say ?

"Racknerd is Top Tier Provider"

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@MannDude said:

Does the text matter? The only purpose is to bump the thread above others so that it is seen by more people. I'm not giving away products out of the kindness of my heart and neither are they, it's business. It costs nothing to have a bunch of people spam comments with nonsensical copy/pasted text to enter to win something. I might be saying the quiet part aloud, but we all know what it is whether you're a consumer or a provider.

I don't even really have stock available now besides domain names and shared hosting until we get our new stuff up in new locations (Zurich???), but I'll literally pay the fee right now if it means I can continue the same low effort, low quality, no-value-added-to-the-community style of posts that myself, RackNerd, Virmach and others have created to promote our brands.

If you want to advertise here, I think that's great.

Not trying to single you out in any way. I'd like to see you and your company do well and be successful.

The giveaways both on LEB and LET seem to really attract a ton of attention. You would probably have good luck with them if you continue the strategy on a consistent basis.

Let me know if I can help.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

All @MannDude is saying that it should be fair and must be given equal opportunity. I am not provider but to certain extent it feel like there is favourism, leniency towards few providers and that's was @MannDude is talking about.

Seriously @jbiloh , you need to do something about those bumped threads, its making LET boring to see same threads over and over again on frontpage. It is one of the reason this discussion is active that there is not much exciting left on LET. Why not to hire a proper UX guy and make some arrangement on first page that "OFFER" section threads are shown separately from rest of discussion, it will also make FP of LET less mundane.

• dosaidosai Member

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @dustinc said:

Genuinely curious, LET rules says you should have a billing portal. I checked metalvps and there isn't one. How did you get your provider tag @Not_Oles?

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @dosai said:

@yoursunny said:

@Not_Oles said:
    @dustinc said:

Genuinely curious, LET rules says you should have a billing portal. I checked metalvps and there isn't one. How did you get your provider tag @Not_Oles?

Holy crap, that order page reminds me of the late 90's.

https://metalvps.com/buy-now.html

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited April 2022

Considering wordpress/vanilla scale to 100 rps really well on crap hardware, and this is hosted by colocrossing on a dedicated server behind cloudflare
    That LET/LEB already gets decent AD money
    That ColoCrossing benefits greatly already, to the point that w/e it cost to obtain it, was worth it. And it wasn't cheap.

Your argument as to this being needed to keep the site costs going is plain bullshit, I'd say you can increment/create these prices for w/e reason and that you don't even need an explanation, but this post is nothing but a funny way to portray reality as to it fits your desires.

inb4Ban

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @duckeeyuck said:
    Considering wordpress/vanilla scale to 100 rps really well on crap hardware, and this is hosted by colocrossing on a dedicated server behind cloudflare
    That ColoCrossing benefits greatly already, to the point that w/e it cost to obtain it, was worth it. And it wasn't cheap.

Your argument as to this being needed to keep the site costs going is plain bullshit, I'd say you can increment/create these prices for w/e reason and that you don't even need an explanation, but this post is nothing but a funny way to portray reality as to it fits your desires.

inb4Ban

wasnt this site hosted with AWS costing 22K per year?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@cybertech said:

@duckeeyuck said:

inb4Ban

wasnt this site hosted with AWS costing 22K per year?

DO I believe.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@dosai said:

@yoursunny said:

Nothing says the billing portal needs to be a public website.
    MetalVPS has a billing portal on darkstar command line.

Thanked by 2skorous Not_Oles
  • dosaidosai Member

@yoursunny said:

@dosai said:

@yoursunny said:

Nothing says the billing portal needs to be a public website.
    MetalVPS has a billing portal on darkstar command line.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said:
    @dustinc said:

Hi @Not_Oles! Absolutely, would love to help! Send me an email [email protected]

Thanked by 2Not_Oles dahartigan
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited April 2022

@duckeeyuck said: Considering wordpress/vanilla scale to 100 rps really well on crap hardware, and this is hosted by colocrossing on a dedicated server behind cloudflare

LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are both hosted on separate infrastructures on VPS/Cloud providers. Nothing is hosted with ColoCrossing.

I moved the sites away from ColoCrossing when I purchased LowEndBox and LowEndTalk in January 2020. See: https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendbox-lowendtalk-owner-jon-biloh/

@duckeeyuck said: That ColoCrossing benefits greatly already, to the point that w/e it cost to obtain it, was worth it. And it wasn't cheap.

LowEndBox and LowEndTalk have not been owned by ColoCrossing since January 2020 when I purchased the sites.

The timeline goes like this: I sold ColoCrossing, the consumer divisions (ChicagoVPS/HVH/BlueVM) and LEB/LET in June 2018.

In January 2020 I purchased LEB and LET back.

@duckeeyuck said: Your argument as to this being needed to keep the site costs going is plain bullshit, I'd say you can increment/create these prices for w/e reason and that you don't even need an explanation, but this post is nothing but a funny way to portray reality as to it fits your desires.

I've clearly laid out my plans to enhance LEB/LET by making additional investments as specified in this thread. We are proceeding with that plan.

On top of the hosting costs, the personnel costs (content/sysadmin/etc), there is also the matter of the note used to buy the sites from the prior owner. Nothing in life is free, that's just the reality.

@duckeeyuck said: inb4Ban

You won't be banned. You're welcome to share your opinion on LowEndTalk. :)

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • @risharde said:

@KermEd said:

@TimboJones said:
    Dup

Don't forgot I also hit on your wife or something a few times too, and after proving you wrong a good 30 times or so on here for just you being a general moron, you've been a touch on the obsessive side ever since. I don't mind the attention, no judgement from my side.

Afraid to ask but how could this happen unless he knows your identity and / or vice versa, not like you guys are using your real names like me?

He's been cunty since I said he was shitty at his job for asking for a proxy from a VPN provider instead of running one himself for his work and that he should be replaced by random guy on fiver. So he likes to argue with me even when he doesn't know what he's arguing. His last argument? Agreeing with deank inflation in Canada was close to 100% without any evidence or source (it's actually less than 6%). Or maybe his last argument was that I was actually born in a different country, that's how fucking stupid this guy is.

• Dilate, seethe, dilate

It's time to liberate LET, and de-rulecuck this place!

• @TimboJones said:
    He's been cunty since I said he was shitty at his job for asking for a proxy from a VPN provider instead of running one himself for his work and that he should be replaced by random guy on fiver. So he likes to argue with me even when he doesn't know what he's arguing. His last argument? Agreeing with deank inflation in Canada was close to 100% without any evidence or source (it's actually less than 6%). Or maybe his last argument was that I was actually born in a different country, that's how fucking stupid this guy is.

You still pretending to be Canadian and that all Canadians use the term “work order”? :D. Enjoy your tea, neckbearded brit.