Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 27
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dustinc said: Consider paying for a provider tag - totally worth it.

Thanks for confirming 'Top Provider' is a paid tag ;)

Francisco

• @dustinc said:

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said: We are going to continue the "Top Provider" thing as voted by the community. Probably going to rename it to "Top Host" so that it is not confused with our "Patron Providers" (who can advertise).

Thats good.

Make sure to revoke Dustin's tag as well though, given I lost mine in the Host Rep movements, as did others I'm sure.

Francisco

Consider paying for a provider tag - totally worth it.

Fran reckons he's too big for LET now but does seem rather upset at his "host rep" tag downgrade..

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Francisco said:

@dustinc said: Consider paying for a provider tag - totally worth it.

Thanks for confirming 'Top Provider' is a paid tag ;)

Francisco

You're very welcome.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

🤣

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Francisco said: Thanks for confirming 'Top Provider' is a paid tag

It is not.

Some "Provider Tag" holders only have a "Top Provider" tag, and for those who have paid the Provider Tag fee I've not altered their accounts yet.

What will end up happening is for hosting companies who have paid the fee, and who were previously "Top Providers" will end up with two concurrent tags:

1. Top Host
    2. Patron Provider

Each day we are working through the process of getting all this in place, and learning as we go to a certain extent. I appreciate everyone's bit of patience while we get everything fully shifted.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jbiloh said:
    1. Top Host

Good.

1. Patron Provider

Call it what it is: Advertiser.

• edited April 2022

@jbiloh said:

Some "Provider Tag" holders only have a "Top Provider" tag, and for those who have paid the Provider Tag fee I've not altered their accounts yet.

What will end up happening is for hosting companies who have paid the fee, and who were previously "Top Providers" will end up with two concurrent tags:

1. Top Host
    2. Patron Provider

Each day we are working through the process of getting all this in place, and learning as we go to a certain extent. I appreciate everyone's bit of patience while we get everything fully shifted.

So let me get this straight - you asked the community to vote for a top provider, and then stripped the "top provider" tag off of whoever wasn't willing to pay up?

It is not.

I don't know what reality you're living in, but in this one - "top provider" is actually a paid tag.

Like.. you realize that we are not blind, right? And that most of us have at the very least 2 brain cells, enough to distinguish paid from free, and chew, at the same time?

I'm honestly not sure why I even bother reading and replying to this thread anymore. It's just a big load of shit, which you try to sell to people for "only $16/m", like we're some old folk, and you're trying to sell us that Yellow Book yearly subscription, for only $16/m.
    These marketing gimmicks and marketing language might work on granny and grandpa though, so hey - new customer base for you to explore.

And to think that for a tiny moment I thought that you taking over would take things in a better direction. Instead you're now charging providers, actively pushing and applauding Dustin - the scammy owner of AlphaRacks, who was so lazy, that even the new name RackNerds sounds like a reboot, and all kinds of other shitfuckery moves in the wrong direction.

Very disappointing.

• afnafn Member
    edited April 2022

TBH, LET to me is all about :

• Hostslick, Franciso (buyVM), MannDude (incognet), PulsedMedia, GreenCloud
      (I have like a service or two with each of them, and I barely think they are making much profit out of my services, because I bought them on offers from threads they opened -not megathreads-, so making them pay from the almost no profit they get... a bit meh)

• Terrahost (but not much of a fan after Epik bought them)

• Some other providers that I don't have services with atm like: alphavps, nexusbytes, alwyzon, Josh(dataIdeas) and a lot of other nice providers that I didn't need/have the chance to deal with.
    • Updates and announcements from big providers like OVH, Mevspace or Hetzner (again from their own threads, not megathreads)
    • Some posts/comments from Falzo (about netcup), AXYZE and yoursunny

Most of these people/providers don't seem to be happy with that provider tag

Even though I don't directly care about the tag fee, the hate against racknerd, etc, I might by consequence simply use this community much less or (not at all) if the providers/members that make me login here move away or are against your philosophy.
    I believe I am not the only one who is in this case, I am sure there are others like me who are just here for few reasons, if you mess up with their reasons, they might cease to be active here, therefore killing the community.

• Jesus, it's not rocket science. To be a provider you have a provider tag. If you aren't a provider you can't be a top provider.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2022

@jbiloh said:

@Falzo said: exactly. so why has no action been taken against his unsolicited advertising outside the rules? and - that's the point - it does not matter at all if he is a provider or not. he has no provider tag, the rules says he is not allowed to post an offer like he did.

so again, why did the 'board' let this slip? usually shills coming here dropping sh*t for seo and whatever get the boot in a totally different manner.

Was there a thread that I missed?

no, that's the thing. you did not miss it ;-)

I tagged you and you wrote you'd be looking into it: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3397460/#Comment_3397460

yet nothing happened, so seems like you decided to let it slide 🤷‍♂️

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

@NobodyInteresting said: So let me get this straight - you asked the community to vote for a top provider, and then stripped the "top provider" tag off of whoever wasn't willing to pay up?

I guess the real question is, why go through the effort of giving the Top Provider role any sort of additional permissions, when it's purely a ceremonial role? Throughout all the years this site has existed, there has never been any perceived additional access to these forums by having it. It was purely for showing off.

I think when I had the Top Provider tag I was one of the few winners that didn't already have the Providers tag to go with it. Dustin had role (still does), Virmach did (and does), i'm sure hosthatch, hetzner, etc, all did too.

So why spend the time adding permissions to it when (almost) everyone had the providers tag, with probably just myself being the only one out.

I'm sure i'll publicly take a fat L on this conspiracy, but I wonder if there was an early draft of this providers system that made it that only paying members could take part in the votes. Basically, if you aren't paying, your companies votes don't get counted.

Francisco

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@jbiloh said:

It is not.

1. Top Host
    2. Patron Provider

Basically you eat food first and cook it later ?

@Falzo said:

@jbiloh said:

@Falzo said: exactly. so why has no action been taken against his unsolicited advertising outside the rules? and - that's the point - it does not matter at all if he is a provider or not. he has no provider tag, the rules says he is not allowed to post an offer like he did.

so again, why did the 'board' let this slip? usually shills coming here dropping sh*t for seo and whatever get the boot in a totally different manner.

Was there a thread that I missed?

no, that's the thing. you did not miss it ;-)

I tagged you and you wrote you'd be looking into it: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3397460/#Comment_3397460

yet nothing happened, so seems like you decided to let it slide 🤷‍♂️

When I first visited that thread it wasn't clear that the OP was advertising in a commercial capacity (vs a user posting about something they like). The posts within that thread after when I reviewed it now make it clear that the OP was posting with commercial intentions so I'm going to take care of it.

Thanked by 1Falzo

Regarding the Top Provider Tag transition, the essence of it is going to survive through a new tag named Top Host. That means companies voted as a Top Host on LowEndTalk will still get the recognition and bragging rights.

Here is a text flow chart:

Hosts with a top provider tag who paid the fee > Patron Provider + Top Host

Hosts with a top provider tag that did not pay the fee > Top Host

The Top Provider Tag is being retired so that it does not create confusion.

Not all of these changes have been rolled out yet but will be very shortly. Drawing conclusions in the interim would be a mistake.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

CHEF D’PATRON

• I dont think its that much of a bad idea, however why should members hand over their hand earned cash when the owner can pick and choose who the rules apply to.

Cause I know I wouldnt handover my cash to an uneven playing field.

• How about an additional tag for providers that can be earned by participating with quality comments or threads (non-offers) that gives power to create offer threads (but less than paid tags?) upon reaching a monthly threshold [x quality comments/threads]?

This supports providers that are very active and helpful and providers who don't want to bother participating can just pay for the tag.

@jbiloh said:
    Regarding the Top Provider Tag transition, the essence of it is going to survive through a new tag named Top Host. That means companies voted as a Top Host on LowEndTalk will still get the recognition and bragging rights.

Not all of these changes have been rolled out yet but will be very shortly. Drawing conclusions in the interim would be a mistake.

The "Top Host" title has been assigned to everyone who previously had a "Top Provider" tag.

I am expecting that "Provider" will be transitioned to "Patron Provider" in the next few days.

• @starservices said:
    I dont think its that much of a bad idea, however why should members hand over their hand earned cash when the owner can pick and choose who the rules apply to.

Cause I know I wouldnt handover my cash to an uneven playing field.

The complaints of a scammer, sigh.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jbiloh said:

@jbiloh said:

The "Top Host" title has been assigned to everyone who previously had a "Top Provider" tag.

I am expecting that "Provider" will be transitioned to "Patron Provider" in the next few days.

If you're going to start using more of the term "Host" (Host Rep, Top Host), instead of "Provider", then use "Patron Host" instead.

Thanked by 2Francisco Daniel15
  • Am I the only one who decided to boycott anyone with a Provider tag?

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@KermEd said:
    Am I the only one who decided to boycott anyone with a Provider tag?

Welcome back!

• @KermEd said:

Maybe you and a couple of other flat-earth types that statistically must exist here also..

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@KermEd said:

How many are there, dustinc, interserverMike .. and ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@KermEd said:

Yes. Literally no-one seems to care about this as much as you do, and weirdly, you weren’t even here when LET was great so I can’t fathom why this bothers you so much.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@Saahib said:

@KermEd said:

How many are there, dustinc, interserverMike .. and ?

So far, a pretty high percentage of providers who were active on LowEndTalk around the time of the announcement have shown their support. Those who have opted to convert to host rep were primarily not active. The final picture will become more clear in about a week.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited April 2022

@Nekki said:

@KermEd said:

I can’t fathom why this bothers you so much.

I think you misunderstand.

It has been said numerous times that those without provider tags simply can't afford it.

It makes sense to me to ensure only Host Reps are seeing purchases, so their sales can go up so they can afford that provider tag and @jbiloh can afford to make his YouTube videos.

It would seem the only way to build that community up is to ensure as many sales as possible to the lower end providers - the website is called low end talk. Besides, folks who bought provider tags already spent the money - they won't pay again for 6 months in most cases. So buying them them doesn't benefit @jbiloh anymore. Prop up the host reps until they can afford a tag and move to the next one.

@KermEd said:

@Nekki said:

@KermEd said:

It has been said numerous times that those without provider tags simply can't afford it.

It makes sense to me to ensure only Host Reps are seeing purchases, so their sales can go up so they can afford that provider tag and @jbiloh can afford to make his YouTube videos.

It would seem the only way to build that community up is to ensure as many sales as possible to the lower end providers - the website is called low end talk.

It's good that you want to support the smallest hosts among our community. :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@KermEd said:

@Nekki said:

@KermEd said:

How can I possibly misunderstand? I just said I don’t understand. I would have to believe I understand to be able to misunderstand.

Has it? What’s numerous? I’ve seen about 5-10, if that.

Do you have money to piss up the wall on stuff you don’t really want to rebel against the evil empire? I don’t. I doubt many here do.

It would seem the only way to build that community up is to ensure as many sales as possible to the lower end providers - the website is called low end talk. Besides, folks who bought provider tags already spent the money - they won't pay again for 6 months in most cases. So buying them them doesn't benefit @jbiloh anymore. Prop up the host reps until they can afford a tag and move to the next one.

So you’re saying we should all buy stuff from
    Host Reps until they can afford a tag, then start supporting someone else and so on and so forth until everyone has a provider tag? Do we just do it until they have a tag then if they can’t afford the second invoice we say ‘fuck ‘em’, or do we help them out again?

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2022

@KermEd said: It has been said numerous times that those without provider tags simply can't afford it.

I think you're mixing up the words "can't afford" vs "don't find the value in".

Every provider can afford it. Not every provider find the value in it and want to pay it. That's where marketing and the value-sell comes in to show that the value is worth it. Now an interesting metric to see is by renewal period will the providers renew their tags?

I am in support of the fact that LET needs to do something to grow. This is just another method to try and gain more resources for the management team to grow the site. Will it work? I don't know. But it's something.