Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 26
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Erisa said:

@Nekki said:
    I’m more surprised OVH did, tbh.

I'm not too surprised. The KS and SYS brands are aimed squarely at the lowend market and having the vultures here snap them all up probably helps for business enough to justify the cost.

TBH, I got to know about OVH ecosystem (sys, ks, ovh) from LET only.

• ErisaErisa Member

@Saahib said: TBH, I got to know about OVH ecosystem (sys, ks, ovh) from LET only.

Same here! I wouldn't have the servers I have with OVH brands if not for LET and the threads that OVH reps made. They could pay for at least a year of provider tag from my server bills alone, maybe more years.

• FalzoFalzo Member

I heavily doubt OVH paid, what makes you guys think so? just because of the provider tags not removed yet? I wouldn't put too much trust into this.

they (OVH) probably did not even reply to that wannabe invoice and wherever that has been sent to. have you ever opened a ticket with OVH? who would think they react in anyway faster to someone sending a like spam looking thing asking for money?

I remember theirs reps not even really care for any rules and being close to being banned but it slipped... more like the tencent guy who also didn't care and is stil neither banned nor the thread (re-)moved.

Hetzner on the other hand probably read, laughed and even kindly replied with a 'no thanks'.

Thanked by 2Saahib afn
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Falzo said:
    I heavily doubt OVH paid, what makes you guys think so? just because of the provider tags not removed yet? I wouldn't put too much trust into this.

they (OVH) probably did not even reply to that wannabe invoice and wherever that has been sent to. have you ever opened a ticket with OVH? who would think they react in anyway faster to someone sending a like spam looking thing asking for money?

I remember theirs reps not even really care for any rules and being close to being banned but it slipped... more like the tencent guy who also didn't care and is stil neither banned nor the thread (re-)moved.

Hetzner on the other hand probably read, laughed and even kindly replied with a 'no thanks'.

The provider tag clean-up looks fairly comprehensive at this stage, so it’s reasonable to assume they paid.

• @Nekki said: The provider tag clean-up looks fairly comprehensive at this stage, so it’s reasonable to assume they paid.

I don't believe so - see for example feezioxiii, and a couple more I can't quite remember at this time.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@Falzo said:

Those are some fair points.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@Nekki said: The provider tag clean-up looks fairly comprehensive at this stage, so it’s reasonable to assume they paid.

I don't believe so - see for example feezioxiii, and a couple more I can't quite remember at this time.

They paid.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said: so it’s reasonable to assume they paid.

Or because of who they are, they got a pass.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Lee said:

a) Hetzner would probably have one too
    b) JB ain’t leaving any BilohBucks on the table.

• @fLoo said:

@jbiloh said:

@dahartigan said:

@fLoo said: Cashing providers for something they are not here for is a dumb move

Aren't "providers" here to run a business and make money or am I missing something?

I don't see how it's a dumb move for the platform that exists to connect providers to customers to need to cover operational costs and get a slice of the action themselves. It's just business as far as I can see it.

Yes!

And if a hosting company isn't looking to advertise then they can opt for the FREE option.

I think @floo missed that part of it.

And this is exactly the reason why i quit here. You simply do not understand my point. Thanks for replying though.

Your ads 100% cover all of your running costs. LowEndS*irit for example has a 30$ monthly running cost. A direct competitor. You're earning more then enough with the ads already.

The 200$ fee is just so you can pocket them yourself. Thats not what this community once stood for and thats the point you will most likely never understand.

Oh and "thanks" for removing my profile image and my profile text just because it shows a competitor to this site. I wanted friends i made here to see where i moved to. All for the money again, right?!

This asshole (don't pretend otherwise, if you had friends they wouldn't need a fucking profile pic to see where you went) won't be missed and will surely miss LET.

You also show very poor business logic. Good luck with that.

• @Nekki said:
    I’m more surprised OVH did, tbh.

Note to self, send $200 invoice to OVH.

Thanked by 4Lee kalimov622 steny adly
  • @zed said:
    I think people get confused because the word "community" gets thrown around so much. It may have been a community at some point, but it's now a business and it needs revenue.

It was always a business. It was just subsidized by 59/60 CC hosts, for example in one year.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Nekki said:

@Lee said:

So you think that @OVH_APAC , @OVHcloud_james , and @ninzo59 all paid up?

Not impossible, but seems a bit improbable to me

Thanked by 2afn skorous
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said: @KermEd said: LET has always been fairly vocal, a touch of entitlement and cheap with slightly anonymizied accounts

That's what makes LET, well, LET. Wouldn't want to change it.

Here I am back at this thread. I, too, like @KermEd's description. I read @KermEd's description a few days ago, came back to find it and bookmark it yesterday. I wrote this comment, and it sat overnight. What a perfect description, though somewhat from the negative side! How could we preserve the perfection of @KermEd's insight while also capturing the greatness of the community here? 💖

@Nekki said: They paid.

Whew! There was a part of me which sadly imagined @Nekki leaving. Did I read where he threatened to leave? Or is my memory failing? Or misunderstanding occurring? Anyway, I am delighted to see @Nekki still here today.

@Nekki Please share with us how you know who paid. Thank you! Kind regards from your friend, @Not_Oles! 💖

@Falzo said: the tencent guy who also didn't care and is stil neither banned nor the thread (re-)moved.

@Falzo Friendly greetings! How do we know who the guy really is? There was conversation behind the scenes pointing out to the guy where the rules are and asking him to follow the Provider rules, all 8 of them. He hasn't been heard from since that conversation, as far as I am aware. If that's wrong, please let me know. Best wishes! 💖

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@angstrom said:

@Nekki said:

@Lee said:

So you think that @OVH_APAC , @OVHcloud_james , and @ninzo59 all paid up?

Not impossible, but seems a bit improbable to me

Yup, all paid.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:

Whew! There was a part of me which sadly imagined @Nekki leaving. Did I read where he threatened to leave? Or is my memory failing? Or misunderstanding occurring? Anyway, I am delighted to see @Nekki still here today.

@Nekki Please share with us how you know who paid. Thank you! Kind regards from your friend, @Not_Oles! 💖

Are you on crack mate?

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Are you on crack mate?

Nope! Seriously asking how you are doing and how you know who paid? :)

• @Not_Oles said:

@Nekki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Are you on crack mate?

Just letting you know. I'm sure he's just assuming based on the fact that they still have their provider status.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Nekki said: a) Hetzner would probably have one too

Possibly, but, if I was a company like Hetzner I would specifically request not to have the provider tag even if given a pass as appearing as if you have paid a fee on a site like this even if you didn't, sends out the wrong message.

Just my view, probably wrong.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Not_Oles said:

@Nekki said:

@Not_Oles said:

Are you on crack mate?

You ain’t right fella. Something’s off. Don’t like it,

• Probably one OVH paid, ~10 accounts got Provider tag :D

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2022

@Not_Oles said:

@Falzo said: the tencent guy who also didn't care and is stil neither banned nor the thread (re-)moved.

@Falzo Friendly greetings! How do we know who the guy really is? There was conversation behind the scenes pointing out to the guy where the rules are and asking him to follow the Provider rules, all 8 of them. He hasn't been heard from since that conversation, as far as I am aware. If that's wrong, please let me know. Best wishes! 💖

exactly. so why has no action been taken against his unsolicited advertising outside the rules? and - that's the point - it does not matter at all if he is a provider or not. he has no provider tag, the rules says he is not allowed to post an offer like he did.

so again, why did the 'board' let this slip? usually shills coming here dropping sh*t for seo and whatever get the boot in a totally different manner.

but I think I can even answer that,,, wouldn't it be great for 'business' and engagement here to lure in the big chinese? bill can be send later but first make the news and content count. maybe even offer to interview .. oh, wait.

it's the same thing with OVH and another point why I heavily doubt they even looked at the so called bill. of course you want to have these kind of big players here, even if they don't really care about your 'rules' to this place. these are the high rollers, you will please them as they bring tons of followers and are monitored by the audience anyway.

@Not_Oles in all seriousness, you are a good guy. probably a bit naive (no offense meant) or let's just say... clueless? at least when it comes to the business of marketing and sales.

I am worried you'll get burnt soon...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MannDude said: Just advertise in your signature and rely on word of mouth for this forum.

Hi,

Have you checked the offers section?

Francisco

@Erisa said: Rip their Top Provider tag though, same for Fran. Seems odd that this change now results in those providers not having their recognition for being voted Top Providers because they decided to not pay for a Provider tag.

Even though it's just an unfortunate side-effect, it feels wrong.

It'd be nice to keep the tag, even if it has no additional abilities (kinda like the Troll role, right?).

Giving free provider rights to top providers would likely only benefit...me? and Hetzner I guess. Everyone else that has won in the past 3 years has bought AFAIK. Then again, almost all of them are extremely reliant on LET to do business.

Francisco

• Hetzner hasnt paid? oh no they better rethink their business model not being able to afford a tag.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2022

@Francisco said:
    It'd be nice to keep the tag, even if it has no additional abilities (kinda like the Troll role, right?).

Giving free provider rights to top providers would likely only benefit...me? and Hetzner I guess. Everyone else that has won in the past 3 years has bought AFAIK. Then again, almost all of them are extremely reliant on LET to do business.

Francisco

You're a top provider in my heart.

Also since you're the only provider that I know from the LE* ecosystem that I actually try and include in our actual work projects to a certain extent.

Beyond the usual AWS/GCP/Azure folks anyways.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Falzo said: exactly. so why has no action been taken against his unsolicited advertising outside the rules? and - that's the point - it does not matter at all if he is a provider or not. he has no provider tag, the rules says he is not allowed to post an offer like he did.

so again, why did the 'board' let this slip? usually shills coming here dropping sh*t for seo and whatever get the boot in a totally different manner.

Was there a thread that I missed?

@Francisco said: It'd be nice to keep the tag, even if it has no additional abilities (kinda like the Troll role, right?).

We are going to continue the "Top Provider" thing as voted by the community. Probably going to rename it to "Top Host" so that it is not confused with our "Patron Providers" (who can advertise).

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

If I could, I'd give Fran and every other provider alike, the "Hosting Veteran" tag.

But that's just me.

Who cares what I say :smiley:

Thanked by 1afn

@jbiloh said: We are going to continue the "Top Provider" thing as voted by the community. Probably going to rename it to "Top Host" so that it is not confused with our "Patron Providers" (who can advertise).

Thats good.

Make sure to revoke Dustin's tag as well though, given I lost mine in the Host Rep movements, as did others I'm sure.

Francisco

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Francisco said:

@jbiloh said: We are going to continue the "Top Provider" thing as voted by the community. Probably going to rename it to "Top Host" so that it is not confused with our "Patron Providers" (who can advertise).

Thats good.

Make sure to revoke Dustin's tag as well though, given I lost mine in the Host Rep movements, as did others I'm sure.

Francisco

Consider paying for a provider tag - totally worth it.