Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• Will boom deadpool soon?

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

@dahartigan said:
    Will boom deadpool soon?

what does that even mean

• @ezeth said:

@dahartigan said:
    Will boom deadpool soon?

what does that even mean

i think he's asking if you've paid your dues

• @cybertech said:

@ezeth said:

@dahartigan said:
    Will boom deadpool soon?

what does that even mean

i think he's asking if you've paid your dues

Yeah, among many other things too.. :)

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

I haven't yet but I think I will. I already spent 200 USD on LET advertisement

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@Nekki said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@zafouhar said:
    Is it me or have provider offers increased exponentially within the last week or so and discussion threads reduced?

LET has effectively been killed off even before all provider tags are revoked.

Most of the regulars only occasionally participate in threads, and I don’t see a lot of past regulars from 2020/21 either. Just a few purple daddy threads and that Russia vs. Ukraine thing are the only things keeping it “alive”.

Of course people will keep registering here to get double bandwidth, but that’s effectively it.

The end is really nigh this time.

We’re not the community JB wants. He described his ideal and we’re not it. Eventually it’ll be adapt or get out, so folks may as well start finding somewhere else. LET will be fine with RackDaddy spam, TinyWeasel, JSG and random complaints, it’ll generate the traffic that’s needed.

A forum is forum when there are participants, few early members makes it successful and then there comes a time when there is handsome organic traffic and then we get plenty more new active members, ultimately making forum even more active and famous.

However, seeing the way JB is treating members and taking actions /decisions about it, now LET is high on organic traffic and loosing few active members is not a concern anymore. Moreover, if you look closely, multiple times it is mentioned that he is working on more ... more (even more) content, means he knows that organic traffic is more important than members and eventually it will bring more members (buyers and sellers). Probably active members can't do much about it, accept it or leave it. Thats the scene here. He won't loose anything even if Paid Provider Tag become a fiasco, he has his organic traffic to the rescue which he wants to increase with more content.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur ariq01
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Saahib said:

@Nekki said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@zafouhar said:
    Is it me or have provider offers increased exponentially within the last week or so and discussion threads reduced?

LET has effectively been killed off even before all provider tags are revoked.

Most of the regulars only occasionally participate in threads, and I don’t see a lot of past regulars from 2020/21 either. Just a few purple daddy threads and that Russia vs. Ukraine thing are the only things keeping it “alive”.

Of course people will keep registering here to get double bandwidth, but that’s effectively it.

The end is really nigh this time.

We’re not the community JB wants. He described his ideal and we’re not it. Eventually it’ll be adapt or get out, so folks may as well start finding somewhere else. LET will be fine with RackDaddy spam, TinyWeasel, JSG and random complaints, it’ll generate the traffic that’s needed.

A forum is forum when there are participants, few early members makes it successful and then there comes a time when there is handsome organic traffic and then we get plenty more new active members, ultimately making forum even more active and famous.

However, seeing the way JB is treating members and taking actions /decisions about it, now LET is high on organic traffic and loosing few active members is not a concern anymore. Moreover, if you look closely, multiple times it is mentioned that he is working on more ... more (even more) content, means he knows that organic traffic is more important than members and eventually it will bring more members (buyers and sellers). Probably active members can't do much about it, accept it or leave it. Thats the scene here. He won't loose anything even if Paid Provider Tag become a fiasco, he has his organic traffic to the rescue which he wants to increase with more content.

Fuck tha community

• @stevewatson301 said:

What is concerning however, is the fact that most of these members have no interest in migrating elsewhere; a few regulars seem to have a presence on (or have recently registered) on OGF and 'Balls and I hoped to see them elsewhere, but my fear that the these members would just disappear seems to have come true.

I moved to LES and keep forgetting about LET. Actually visited today because my browser got the URL autofill wrong... I'm curious though, what is OGF?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@ezeth said: I haven't yet but I think I will. I already spent 200 USD on LET advertisement

Appreciate the support, thank you.

@Saahib said: However, seeing the way JB is treating members and taking actions /decisions about it, now LET is high on organic traffic and loosing few active members is not a concern anymore. Moreover, if you look closely, multiple times it is mentioned that he is working on more ... more (even more) content, means he knows that organic traffic is more important than members and eventually it will bring more members (buyers and sellers). Probably active members can't do much about it, accept it or leave it. Thats the scene here. He won't loose anything even if Paid Provider Tag become a fiasco, he has his organic traffic to the rescue which he wants to increase with more content.

All users on our forum are important, new and old. LowEndTalk does generate a lot of organic traffic and gets dozens of new user signups a day though that does not mean that folks who have been around for a few years (or longer) aren't appreciated.

For those curious as to the uptake on the fee model amongst our providers on LowEndTalk - the progress has been steady. In a few weeks time we will have a clearer picture on where things land.

• @KermEd said:

what is OGF?

Other green forum. You should now know what that is 🤣

@KermEd LowEndTalk always welcomes you. :)

• @stevewatson301 said:

@KermEd said:

what is OGF?

Other green forum. You should now know what that is 🤣

Haha ok! Making sure I wasn't missing out on something :smiley:

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • I feel sorry for the providers. I am sure they will slowly stop and go. Oh nooo LET offers

edited March 2022

@team_traitor said:
    I feel sorry for the providers. I am sure they will slowly stop and go. Oh nooo LET offers

Just curious, why do you feel sorry? The majority are doing quite well here. And those who aren't (and can't justify the provider tag fee) we are providing plenty of free benefits to.

• Been watching this for a while and ultimately what I see happening is the OG members leaving as LET evolves into something totally different.

While this may be beneficial for some, it also is the end of an era for others.

Either way, I hope these decisions don't mean the end is actually nigh. I kinda liked this place.

If anyone has a recommendation for other forums with similar user generated content, let me know.

• @jbiloh said:

@team_traitor said:
    I feel sorry for the providers. I am sure they will slowly stop and go. Oh nooo LET offers

Just curious, why do you feel sorry? The majority are doing quite well here. And those who aren't (and can't justify the provider tag fee) we are providing plenty of free benefits to.

If by majority we just mean RN then of course they’re doing well.

On the other hand if we talk about your measures to drive away others engaging in behaviour similar to the purple daddy (Virmach, Manndude, Blazingfast_IO) then I think you’re not being truthful.

Of course favouring the daddy is all fun and games, until WNY IT Services actually ends up getting sued for conflict of interest.

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@BlazinDimes said: Either way, I hope these decisions don't mean the end is actually nigh. I kinda liked this place.

Glad to know you like it around here, and thanks for being part of the community.

I am working hard to make sure things are moving forwards, not backwards. I feel confident everything is going to work out with our recent changes.

• @jbiloh said:

Just curious, how do you measure that the majority of providers are doing well here, as I’m assuming much like yourself with your business you wouldn’t want to put financial metrics in the public domain, albeit other than what’s currently available in existing public records such as business tax accounts.

@LeonDynamic said:

@jbiloh said:

Just curious, how do you measure that the majority of providers are doing well here, as I’m assuming much like yourself with your business you wouldn’t want to put financial metrics in the public domain, albeit other than what’s currently available in existing public records such as business tax accounts.

Having spent 20 years in the industry, and many of those years at a company that provided infrastructure for a large part of those who advertise on LowEndBox, I've got a pretty good feel for who is doing well and who isn't.

I've also got a pretty wide network of folks I talk to weekly in the industry that helps me keep in touch with what is going on.

It's not always a perfect data set but has been fairly accurate overall.

• dedicatserver_rodedicatserver_ro Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said: Having spent 20 years in the industry

• maybe in sales....
    • in this 20 years you haven't worked with WHMCS ??? -see "Email Notifications" in client Profile
      You live in a bubble.

• see the power price in the last 4 months in Europe last year we pay 0.17€/kwh now we pay 0.42€/kwh ( M247 Romania , for us a increase from 1500€ to 4500€ in month - 1000 VPS for 4,5€ / month.....you can do it on LET if you pay 200 USD fee :D )
      -Hetzner : Unfortunately, we have to adjust the electricity prices for colocation products in Germany starting on 1 April 2022. Energy prices in Germany have been dramatically increasing ( till 1 April 0.2856 €/kWh after 0.3356 €/kwh)

And like i told you i will see the changes ( till now nothing relevant ):
    1. My last advertising ( November, October and September last year ) have been hijacked with other topics or spammed without being able to control the post. The difference between advertising and a post....

1. The current way a advertising/post is maintained on the first page (see @dustinc) is not fair - bump a post for double space ...or a prize...etc

So for a small /middle provider the time are hard in Europe with all price increase for energy, fuel...food

It's not about $ 200 but to pay to see my spammed offer or a two year old bumped offer @dustinc or a advertising for it- no thanks!

edited March 2022

@dedicatserver_ro said: maybe in sales....

I do love sales, but actually my role was quite varied through the course of my career in IT.

Sales, operations, and everything else when you found, and run, a one man hosting company that eventually employs dozens as it grew.

I've racked thousands of servers in my day and been part of datacenter migration projects counted in hundreds of cabinets.

I've also enjoyed the opportunity to design and build a datacenter.

@dedicatserver_ro said: in this 20 years you haven't worked with WHMCS ??? -see "Email Notifications" in client Profile
    You live in a bubble.

When I started my company in 2001 it was with a spreadsheet. I then moved to ClientExec. A few years later around 2008 we moved to an inhouse control panel, billing and support system which the company still uses today.

@dedicatserver_ro said: So for a small /middle provider the time are hard in Europe with all price increase for energy, fuel...food

Inflation is definitely everywhere. I hope for the good of all people globally that things calm down soon.

@dedicatserver_ro said: 1. My last advertising ( November, October and September last year ) have been hijacked with other topics or spammed without being able to control the post. The difference between advertising and a post....

I'm not sure what you mean here. Please help me better understand.

• @jbiloh said:

@dedicatserver_ro said: 1. My last advertising ( November, October and September last year ) have been hijacked with other topics or spammed without being able to control the post. The difference between advertising and a post....

I'm not sure what you mean here. Please help me better understand.

Basically what we've been trying to explain to you for a while now.

You want to turn this place into WHT, but with a twist of LET.

However when people pay for advertising on WHT - they have control over the comments.

When you ask for payments from these (usually) same companies that advertise on WHT - they expect the same treatment as they would get on WHT.

On LET - thread hijacking is real (and I have been a part of that too, for good or bad). And when a provider pays for advertising on LET (which is exactly what you're charging them for) - they expect to only see positive vibes and comments, related to their offer. And this is not how LET operates.

Also, I love how you totally ignored the comments related to Dustin. Smooth, I bet nobody noticed. 🙄

• @stevewatson301 said:
    Of course favouring the daddy is all fun and games, until WNY IT Services actually ends up getting sued for conflict of interest.

Buddy, you're entering "jaded ex-girlfriend" territory now with irrational threats of lawsuits. SMH

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2022

@dedicatserver_ro said:

@jbiloh said: Having spent 20 years in the industry

• maybe in sales....
    • in this 20 years you haven't worked with WHMCS ??? -see "Email Notifications" in client Profile
      You live in a bubble.

• see the power price in the last 4 months in Europe last year we pay 0.17€/kwh now we pay 0.42€/kwh ( M247 Romania , for us a increase from 1500€ to 4500€ in month - 1000 VPS for 4,5€ / month.....you can do it on LET if you pay 200 USD fee :D )
      -Hetzner : Unfortunately, we have to adjust the electricity prices for colocation products in Germany starting on 1 April 2022. Energy prices in Germany have been dramatically increasing ( till 1 April 0.2856 €/kWh after 0.3356 €/kwh)

And like i told you i will see the changes ( till now nothing relevant ):
    1. My last advertising ( November, October and September last year ) have been hijacked with other topics or spammed without being able to control the post. The difference between advertising and a post....

1. The current way a advertising/post is maintained on the first page (see @dustinc) is not fair - bump a post for double space ...or a prize...etc

So for a small /middle provider the time are hard in Europe with all price increase for energy, fuel...food

It's not about $ 200 but to pay to see my spammed offer or a two year old bumped offer @dustinc or a advertising for it- no thanks!

You make a good point that you'll now pay to have the privilege of having offer threads derailed with (possible) negative publicity.

But to be fair to LET, you kind of brought that on yourself when you looked around on a private server and then justified it, which will never go down well on LET.

It would be more chaos at LET if that same thread happened in the future and you got that control to remove or censor negative posts. It just ain't going to happen without mass exodus.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2022

Do not want to offend but @jbiloh , the more you talk about your IT career and previous endeavors in the field, it further confirms that you are yet to understand true spirit of an open discussion community. (Please not, it has nothing to do with your skills or capabilities as professional). Sadly, you are doing something like WHMCS did, when they changed their pricing strategy, lots of other almost-dead project started breathing life as well as less active became very active and now they are actually worthy rival. In past this was not true as WHMCS was way ahead of them but now most are catching up nicely.

Although whmcs is still making money, still widely used but it allowed market for competition which was otherwise almost non-existing earlier. Hope you got my point.

• @stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said:

@team_traitor said:

If by majority we just mean RN then of course they’re doing well.

On the other hand if we talk about your measures to drive away others engaging in behaviour similar to the purple daddy (Virmach, Manndude, Blazingfast_IO) then I think you’re not being truthful.

Well the thing is - purple daddy indirectly pays $ to Biloh, via ColoCrossing.

Even though he is not working for CC as a sales rep anymore - he was one in the past. And if I have to bet - he is the one that signed Dustin with CC.

And since CC pays hilarious amount of money as a base pay (in terms of salary) - they provide a good % of the sales to their sales people. As in - a percentage of the entire account, for the life of the account, for as long as the sales rep remains as an employee of CC. And he has already stated that he still works for CC as a consultant, so he is still employed, hence still gets that permanent commission off of the clients he signed up.

So the bigger purp daddy becomes, and the more CC servers he gets - the more $ go into Jons pockets.

So it makes sense that he is willing to "forget" that Dustin was AlphaRacks, he is happy to forgive the bumps on the threads, and is more than happy to close his eyes for anything Dustin related - cause essentially - he makes $ from each and every sale that Dustin brings. So Dustin is his cash cow.

We're not mad at you for doing that @jbiloh , by all means - making money is what needs to be done, always.

I just personally don't appreciate you not being straight forward about the incentives that you receive from Dustin and how intertwined you are with his growth. You have had PLENTY of chances to mention that in the past, yet you decided not to.

Not cool.

edited March 2022

@NobodyInteresting said: However when people pay for advertising on WHT - they have control over the comments.

I don't think that's necessarily the case on WHT.

@NobodyInteresting said: Even though he is not working for CC as a sales rep anymore

I've never worked as a sales rep. I enjoy the process of sales and building customer relationships -- and have of course mentored sales people -- but it has never been a sole role of mine.

@NobodyInteresting said: And since CC pays hilarious amount of money as a base pay (in terms of salary) - they provide a good % of the sales to their sales people.

It was my goal to be very generous with our team of employees at ColoCrossing. This was the case up until I sold the business in 2018. I learned the lesson about ten years ago that you always put your people first. That approach is something I am very proud of. I'm flattered to know that you are aware of our generous comp program.

@NobodyInteresting said: And he has already stated that he still works for CC as a consultant, so he is still employed, hence still gets that permanent commission off of the clients he signed up.

I have never received a commission, either before selling the business or after. My consulting role (2018 to current) is not commissioned. I'm a helpful advisor to the business and to my boss and I'm grateful for the opportunity to stay in touch with customers and employees for whom I am very fond.

@NobodyInteresting said: he makes $ from each and every sale that Dustin brings. So Dustin is his cash cow.

This is not the case. Please see above.

@NobodyInteresting said: I just personally don't appreciate you not being straight forward about the incentives that you receive from Dustin and how intertwined you are with his growth. You have had PLENTY of chances to mention that in the past, yet you decided not to.

RackNerd became a customer of ColoCrossing after I sold the business. I have not earned anything from his relationship with ColoCrossing other than the emotional and professional gratitude of seeing a customer grow at a firm I have deep care for, because I started it as a teenager (ColoCrossing).

I appreciate your passion @NobodyInteresting but I hope the above helps clear the air in your mind.

I did an interview on this subject in 2020 and was completely transparent. You'll see that I did clearly state that RackNerd advertisers on LEB/LET, just like dozens of others, and that we appreciate the support of all our advertising partners.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendbox-lowendtalk-owner-jon-biloh/

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@BlazinDimes said:
    Been watching this for a while and ultimately what I see happening is the OG members leaving as LET evolves into something totally different.

While this may be beneficial for some, it also is the end of an era for others.

Either way, I hope these decisions don't mean the end is actually nigh. I kinda liked this place.

If anyone has a recommendation for other forums with similar user generated content, let me know.

Yes absolutely. I'm not recommending going elsewhere out of spite, but certainly good to be aware of other community sites for the purpose of expanding a network into a more interesting place for yourself.

LET was hoping to match WHT (webhostingtalk). That is, taking a sizable fee (200/yr) for companies selling dirt cheap services (often at 5/yr). The big difference is web hosting talk is quite a bit cheaper. The owner of LET has said himself that hosts just need to make sure to share more advertisements - which means LET will get get flooded with ad posts. So in that case why not go to WHT which is more affordable to hosts, more positive of an environment, and has a lot more providers and interest.

The other end of the spectrum is lowendspirit. It started as a back-to-the-roots version of LET with a more modern twist. Nicer place. Better deals but not quite as many at times. They have no ads, no sponsored content, and are all around more positive, more fair and well free and fair for new hosts.

So really you have two choices as a buyer or a host. Go the free route and use LES. Or go the paid route and use WHT for the bigger audience and lower fee.

My browsers even forgetting the term LowEndTalk and... well... My last 5 server purchases have been more reliable and more positive than ever before. So I think this inciting people to move on is actually benefiting the other communities quite nicely.

No other website has giant YouTube ads for RackNerds though created by staff being paid for by vendor fees. So you would be hard pressed to find a worse spot at the moment. Imho.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited March 2022

@jbiloh said:

@NobodyInteresting said: I just personally don't appreciate you not being straight forward about the incentives that you receive from Dustin and how intertwined you are with his growth. You have had PLENTY of chances to mention that in the past, yet you decided not to.

RackNerd became a customer of ColoCrossing after I sold the business...

I did an interview on this subject in 2020 and was completely transparent. You'll see that I did clearly state that RackNerd advertisers on LEB/LET, just like dozens of others, and that we appreciate the support of all our advertising partners.

https://lowendbox.com/blog/interview-qa-with-lowendbox-lowendtalk-owner-jon-biloh/

Being 'interviewed' by your own blog isn't really an interview. It is not trustworthy. It would not pass the wikipedia quotable test.

Even less so when the source is Low End Box. This same blog not only interviewed @dustinc a few times and how AlphaRacks was a misunderstanding... but also posted dozens of advertisements and sales for AlphaRacks itself (which are still up).

It's about as reliable as quoting the National Enquirer.

If you actually cared about quality posts, you'd lock those giveaway threads after 30days. But once you realize someone like RackNerd needs to only pay for one month and bump the same thread for 3 years, I suspect you'll tighten up the rules.

To be fair, although I don't trust much of what you say as I think you would lie in a heartbeat if you could get away with it, I think you did make very little money off RackNerds. I also think that their signups for double bandwidth gives you inflated user numbers so you can one day sell this to GoDaddy or whomever. I think you need to inflate those numbers for your own purposes as much as you can (and we all know no meaningful user has ever joined because of them). I personally do think the reason you added the $200 fee was jealousy over the RackNerds profiting off LET. You just didn't think of the impact to other providers, quality of the site or impact to users. I suspect, obvious as this is to all of us, that this push back has been mind boggling to you.

You have my sympathy, but it doesn't change that this isn't a forum I would want to visit anymore. The illusion has been shattered :D

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt

@KermEd I appreciate your passion. On this one, however, we are going to have to agree to disagree.