Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation - Page 22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Provider Tag Fee Implementation

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@KermEd said: With his math, he needs 220 hosts to pay him to break even - another 60 or so to cover the tax... And I don't see that happening.

This was more or less confirmed by Jon in the provider thread. He stated there was around 300 active providers and "we are completely in the black" required 200+ active subscriptions.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@KermEd said: With his math, he needs 220 hosts to pay him to break even - another 60 or so to cover the tax... And I don't see that happening.

This was more or less confirmed by Jon in the provider thread. He stated there was around 300 active providers and "we are completely in the black" required 200+ active subscriptions.

Francisco

I've been wondering - will you be taking part by paying for the provider tag?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2022

@leapswitch said: I haven't read much of this thread. We haven't posted an ad on LET since the extra ads issue.

We still paid the provider fee as

LET has given us a lot of customers and recognition over the last few years
    The community has helped us improve as a company
    It has been a great way to network, learn new things and stay on top of what's going on in the industry
    I don't think any other hosting community is as Active as LET - imo partly because how the forum is structured as a set of threads instead of a list of categories.

@jbiloh as the owner has the right to make money from his asset regardless of the running cost.

Thank you for your support and contribution to our platform.

Hope to see you around more often. :)

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh could you kindly stop spamming with the invoice payment reminders please, tag can be removed. Ta

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting

@stratagem said:
    @jbiloh could you kindly stop spamming with the invoice payment reminders please, tag can be removed. Ta

Sorry about that, will take care of it now.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stratagem said:

How many did you get?

• hostnamastehostnamaste Member, Patron Provider

Happy to pay the fee, LEB and LET have been very good for my company for many years.

@NobodyInteresting said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I've been wondering - will you be taking part by paying for the provider tag?

I have no such intentions for buyvm. I post an offer less than once a year.

Maybe for namecrane, but that’s who knows when.

Francisco

@hostnamaste said:
    Happy to pay the fee, LEB and LET have been very good for my company for many years.

Thanks for your support @hostnamaste

Thanked by 1hostnamaste
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Francisco said: namecrane

• @Francisco said: namecrane

When? I'd love an update!

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

This is interesting. I had visited LET long ago and recently decided to join when I thought I can make some use of it. But I think here my timing is bad, they are already asking money. May be veterans can find it acceptable but for new comers, its really a setback , for example, if I consider myself, I don't even know if it can be profitable for my business without actually running a offer here. May be give some discount for newcomers or trial period to better understand need of community and ROI. There is actually tons of reading here before I can even understand it completely. I guess, I will be lurker for a while to understand all this buzz.

@mgcAna said:
    This is interesting. I had visited LET long ago and recently decided to join when I thought I can make some use of it. But I think here my timing is bad, they are already asking money. May be veterans can find it acceptable but for new comers, its really a setback , for example, if I consider myself, I don't even know if it can be profitable for my business without actually running a offer here. May be give some discount for newcomers or trial period to better understand need of community and ROI. There is actually tons of reading here before I can even understand it completely. I guess, I will be lurker for a while to understand all this buzz.

Do you run a hosting provider?

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2022

Yes, part of a small venture which is under expansion phase, already multiple avenues requiring continuous expenses.

@mgcAna said:
    Yes, part of a small venture which is under expansion phase, already multiple avenues requiring continuous expenses.

Welcome to LowEndTalk.

Consider applying for a host rep tag when you are ready.

You can also submit an offer to LowEndBox free.

• Is it me or have provider offers increased exponentially within the last week or so and discussion threads reduced?

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@zafouhar said:
    Is it me or have provider offers increased exponentially within the last week or so and discussion threads reduced?

Would be interesting to know which have opted to signup and which are just getting in one last hurrah.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Falzo adly
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Francisco said:

@zafouhar said:
    Is it me or have provider offers increased exponentially within the last week or so and discussion threads reduced?

Would be interesting to know which have opted to signup and which are just getting in one last hurrah.

Francisco

I have been asking, but not everyone is particularly forthcoming with answers, for some strange reason.

@Nekki said:

@Francisco said:

@zafouhar said:

Francisco

I have been asking, but not everyone is particularly forthcoming with answers, for some strange reason.

Some providers that are fine with it don't want to get attacked for opt'ing in. @jbiloh made a comment the other day basically confirming this.

Not everyone is swinging a 2x12 between the legs like @jar.

The cut off is April 1st, so in about a week or so we'll get a good idea of how many people opt'd in. If the numbers are really positive, @jbiloh may even share it. If they're terrible, I'd expect it to be a touchy subject.

Still, I expect to see someone walk the providers list looking for tags.

Francisco

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2022

@stefeman said:

@ariq01 said:
    If owner/staff can estimated monthly-year cost to operate all of this, maybe Donorbox with progressbar or patreon would be awesome from all member, provider and hostrep for this year (2022) ??

22K USD / Year so roughly 1833€/month is what he shared us.

LES runs on 2 cheap Hetzner VPS's

Go figure..

@jbiloh to earn the trust of some people here, you could show the cashflow of this forum and LEB on https://opencollective.com/ . It enables projects to instill confidence through transparency on how donations/funds are handled. That way we would see where the money goes (server costs etc) so people wouldn't just have to believe your word that you pay 22k/year.

Examples of transparent cashflow (income & expenses):

https://opencollective.com/babel

https://opencollective.com/opencollective

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

So far, those who are already established or big enough have supported fee for provider tag. @Francisco doesn't need it, he is already out of stock most of the time due to healthy demand for his services , which is obvious given the value and quality he offers.

I am yet to see any lesser known provider talking in favor of it, would be nice to see the trend after April 1st.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Francisco said: Some providers that are fine with it don't want to get attacked for opt'ing in. @jbiloh made a comment the other day basically confirming this.

Seems odd, given it's going to be confirmed in a few days anyway. I don't think I've seen anyone having a go at providers, the rage was all directed at JB.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Ympker said:

@stefeman said:

@ariq01 said:
    If owner/staff can estimated monthly-year cost to operate all of this, maybe Donorbox with progressbar or patreon would be awesome from all member, provider and hostrep for this year (2022) ??

Go figure..

@jbiloh to earn the trust of some people here, you could show the cashflow of this forum and LEB on https://opencollective.com/ . It enables projects to instill confidence through transparency on how donations/funds are handled. That way we would see where the money goes (server costs etc) so people wouldn't just have to believe your word that you pay 22k/year.

With all due respect, this ain't going to happen. :) Remember, LEB/LET is a (private) business, and there's no reason why especially a (private) business would share this information with the masses.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2022

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@stefeman said:

@ariq01 said:

Go figure..

With all due respect, this ain't going to happen. :) Remember, LEB/LET is a (private) business, and there's no reason why especially a (private) business would share this information with the masses.

Fair enough. Just thought I'd put this out there in case adding more transparency was a consideration. Then again, there are various ways more transparency could be conveyed where my suggestion is just one of several possibilities.

Thanked by 1angstrom

@Ympker said:

@angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@stefeman said:

@ariq01 said:

Go figure..

Fair enough. Just thought I'd put this out there in case adding more transparency was a consideration. Then again, there are various ways more transparency could be conveyed where my suggestion is just one of several possibilities.

In any case, it's a nice thought :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

LET is not a place where transparency happens. Remember, we only found out CC owned the place because the site got hacked…

@Nekki said:
    LET is not a place where transparency happens. Remember, we only found out CC owned the place because the site got hacked…

That too, of course, not to mention the LEB fiasco of a few years ago, when transparency wasn't the order of the day

• @zafouhar said:

LET has effectively been killed off even before all provider tags are revoked.

Most of the regulars only occasionally participate in threads, and I don’t see a lot of past regulars from 2020/21 either. Just a few purple daddy threads and that Russia vs. Ukraine thing are the only things keeping it “alive”.

Of course people will keep registering here to get double bandwidth, but that’s effectively it.

The end is really nigh this time.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited March 2022

@stevewatson301 said:

@zafouhar said:

LET has effectively been killed off even before all provider tags are revoked.

Most of the regulars only occasionally participate in threads, and I don’t see a lot of past regulars from 2020/21 either. Just a few purple daddy threads and that Russia vs. Ukraine thing are the only things keeping it “alive”.

Of course people will keep registering here to get double bandwidth, but that’s effectively it.

The end is really nigh this time.

We’re not the community JB wants. He described his ideal and we’re not it. Eventually it’ll be adapt or get out, so folks may as well start finding somewhere else. LET will be fine with RackDaddy spam, TinyWeasel, JSG and random complaints, it’ll generate the traffic that’s needed.

• @Nekki said:
    We’re not the community JB wants. He described his ideal and we’re not it. Eventually it’ll be adapt or get out, so folks may as well start finding somewhere else.

The decline in high quality activity was quite abrupt TBH, and to make sure I am not missing something, I also keep checking the discussions tab of many regulars (and other folks who don't frequent as often but have high quality, well liked posts) from time-to-time and it pretty much just confirms that this forum is dying quickly.

What is concerning however, is the fact that most of these members have no interest in migrating elsewhere; a few regulars seem to have a presence on (or have recently registered) on OGF and 'Balls and I hoped to see them elsewhere, but my fear that the these members would just disappear seems to have come true.

LET will be fine with RackDaddy spam, TinyWeasel, JSG and random complaints, it’ll generate the traffic that’s needed.

To be fair even jsg has reduced his contribution (however questionable they may be) on this forum, and Tinyweasel is too deep into his far right shit and IRC fetish to be able to reach the discoverability and service quality of MicroLXC/NanoKVM.