Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2021 - NVMe and Storage deals - Deploy in 16 global locations (APAC/EU/US) - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2021 - NVMe and Storage deals - Deploy in 16 global locations (APAC/EU/US)

Comments

• @Emil said: We’re not offering location migrations for promo plans. However, we’ve already signed with a new provider in Sydney and you will be notified about migrations being scheduled late Dec/early Jan. It’ll be a vast improvement to the network connectivity.

Thank you - this is excellent news!

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited November 2021

@Emil said: I wish I'd be able to tell you but tbh we haven't decided that yet.

That's totally fine :)

I'm just hoping to be able to migrate my 16GB VPS from last year (16GB RAM, 80 GB NVMe, Los Angeles, $60/year) without the price doubling, but totally understandable if that's not doable and the price ends up being similar to this year's Black Friday deals.

@Emil said: I guess you can try reverse engineer our pricing by taking resources/$ for this Black Friday vs. 2020.

This is pretty hard with four weighted variables (CPU, RAM, Disk and bandwidth) especially since I suspect that it may not be linear - the RAM in a VPS with 16GB RAM likely isn't 4x the cost of 4GB RAM, as cheaper/lower plans tend to be priced slightly higher to cover overheads like credit card processing fees, etc. If it's linear then my guess for this year would be somewhere around ($0.50 * number of CPUs) + ($0.80 * ram in GB) + ($1 * disk size in GB) + ($0.30 * bandwidth in TB) per year, but it's not the best fit.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • @Emil said: However, we’ve already signed with a new provider in Sydney

Will this be the provider for Sydney pre-orders?

• EmilEmil Member, Host Rep

@Daniel15 said:

@Emil said: I wish I'd be able to tell you but tbh we haven't decided that yet.

That's totally fine :)

I'm just hoping to be able to migrate my 16GB VPS from last year (16GB RAM, 80 GB NVMe, Los Angeles, $60/year) without the price doubling, but totally understandable if that's not doable and the price ends up being similar to this year's Black Friday deals.

To be honest I'm not sure how it'll be with previous BF promo plans as they usually have a no-upgrade-downgrade term. But we'll see. I shouldn't talk too much about these stuff, it's not really my department as I focus on the tech, and I might say the wrong things, so don't listen to me ;)

@Emil said: I guess you can try reverse engineer our pricing by taking resources/$ for this Black Friday vs. 2020.

This is pretty hard with four weighted variables (CPU, RAM, Disk and bandwidth) especially since I suspect that it may not be linear - the RAM in a VPS with 16GB RAM likely isn't 4x the cost of 4GB RAM, as cheaper/lower plans tend to be priced slightly higher to cover overheads like credit card processing fees, etc. If it's linear then my guess for this year would be somewhere around ($0.50 * number of CPUs) + ($0.80 * ram in GB) + ($1 * disk size in GB) + ($0.30 * bandwidth in TB) per year, but it's not the best fit.

That's interesting calculations, but probably best to compare everything together and just take the % difference in relative to last year instead of $ to see how other plans may look. At least the BF promos are pretty linear.

@cynix said:

@Emil said: However, we’ve already signed with a new provider in Sydney

Will this be the provider for Sydney pre-orders?

Yes

Thanked by 1cynix
  • Will we be able to install our own OS? Couldn't find anything related in the control panel, but maybe that's because I don't have an active service yet.

edited November 2021

@cynix said:
    Will we be able to install our own OS? Couldn't find anything related in the control panel, but maybe that's because I don't have an active service yet.

If you mean with ISO then yes, either choose one from the library or upload your own (specify a URL ending with .iso).

Thanked by 1cynix
  • @Emil / @hosthatch , is it possible to sign-up for the $17 plan now and migrate off the old plan once the node is available?

• @IziD said:
    @Emil / @hosthatch , is it possible to sign-up for the $17 plan now and migrate off the old plan once the node is available?

I think you'll end up with two plans and you'll have to do the migration yourself.

• @webcraft said:

@IziD said:
    @Emil / @hosthatch , is it possible to sign-up for the $17 plan now and migrate off the old plan once the node is available?

I think you'll end up with two plans and you'll have to do the migration yourself.

The most painful is the need to transfer data by yourself
    There are no snapshots and no backups.

• @coolgoole said:

@webcraft said:

@IziD said:

The most painful is the need to transfer data by yourself
    There are no snapshots and no backups.

HTFU

• Any test IP for upcoming Tokyo VPS? Which datacenter will it be located?

• @hosthatch said: 2 CPU core (fairly shared)

@hosthatch said: These are meant to be used for mass storage, and not I/O intensive tasks.

If I were to move a backup location onto such a storage VM, I have scripts that verify snapshots occasionally (by checksums against last time to guard against corruption, or against the source systems current state to guard against backup process failures) which can be busy work (hashing a hundred gig or two, not many TB of multiple snapshots in one go) - how problematical might that be? I'm happy to try limit the process a bit artificially via cpulimit/cgroups/other, it doesn't need to be done fast, it just needs to be done often enough to satisfy my paranoia.

FYI: I'm currently using dedicated kit for this sort of storage, where I don't need to care about being a noisy neighbour in these regards. The backups are a mix of medium/large files (photos, videos, VM disk images) and many small files (mail archives, documents, source code), transferred via rsync, dated snapshots maintained via hard-links.

• @douglask said:
    @hosthatch Hi boss, I purchased one 10TB Storage VPS in August, paid $300 for the doubled RAM and bandwidth -- with 30TB bandwidth. I remember somewhere you mentioned that deal would be better than this black Friday(you said due to increased price of hardware, IPs...). So I didn't hesitate.

However, if I purchase now, the VPS would have 40TB bandwidth(10TB more than mine with $295). Which makes me feel, errr....(you know how I feel)

I am wondering if you could cheer me up by upgrade my previous bandwidth configuration from 30TB to 40TB? Even though I just use a few hundreds GBs per month...

Thanks

===
    refer previous link:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/172966/deploy-high-quality-nvme-vms-in-14-global-locations-with-consistent-performance-eu-us-apac/p7

this is really a sad thing.

• @nammdp : did you get this offer? I remember that you missed last previous HK deals

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2021

douglask said: 30TB to 40TB? Even though I just use a few hundreds GBs per month

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @webcraft said: I think you'll end up with two plans and you'll have to do the migration yourself.

Migrating data is something for me to take care of, I was enquiring about logistics and how this transfer will be handled financially.

• Hosthatch

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

Am I that late to the party???? :'(

Hmm, must have been a glitch for when I tried again I was presented with the options to order from.

Nothing to see here -- move on now.

• I was able to grab one. This might be obvious to some but I just wanted to clarify, our due date will be adjusted based on when the server is provisioned, right?

• @Emil said: However, we’ve already signed with a new provider in Sydney and you will be notified about migrations being scheduled late Dec/early Jan. It’ll be a vast improvement to the network connectivity.

Looking forward to that!

• @ragnahosting said: I just wanted to clarify, our due date will be adjusted based on when the server is provisioned, right?

Yes.

Thanked by 1Emil
  • @Emil Can I provide test IPv4 in Hong Kong nodes?

• Is Tokyo location going to be M247 as usual?

• Thank you for upgrading to Zen3 @hosthatch, grabbed one. Due dates will hopefully be adjusted based on delivery dates.

• Now that the hardware has been upgraded, can the packages of old users be upgraded?
    What is the upgrade plan?

• @coolgoole said:
    Now that the hardware has been upgraded, can the packages of old users be upgraded?

That was already answered in the second post.

• @coolgoole said:
    Now that the hardware has been upgraded, can the packages of old users be upgraded?

if that even possible you should know hardware price are not same, the amount of CPU, RAM, and storage maybe reduced and not all users might accept that change.

• @brian777 said:

@coolgoole said:

if that even possible you should know hardware price are not same, the amount of CPU, RAM, and storage maybe reduced and not all users might accept that change.

accept

• @tetech said:

@coolgoole said:

That was already answered in the second post.

I didn't see it, sorry

This discussion has been closed.