Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE - Page 42
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE

Comments

• @Erisa said: The one I'm going to hold onto for dear life is my SYS-LE-2

You mean the one with 2 x 1920 GB NVMe? I've been waiting forever to pick up one of those. It went out of stock fast.

• ErisaErisa Member

@DanSummer said:

@Erisa said: The one I'm going to hold onto for dear life is my SYS-LE-2

You mean the one with 2 x 1920 GB NVMe? I've been waiting forever to pick up one of those. It went out of stock fast.

Yeah. I wrote up its specs for when people ask:

Sale 2022 (SYS-LE-2)
    1x Xeon E5-2650v2 8c / 16t
    128 GB DDR3 ECC 2133 MHz
    2 x 1920 GB NVMe
    1Gbps download / 250Mbps upload
    16 IPv4 addresses
    $57.99/mo

It's a stupidly good deal if you can afford it, the only downside is the upload limit. I'm so glad I was able to find it because it fills my needs so completely (aside from the upload which I'm just trying to get over for the sake of the epic server). There are some quirks that make the upload more bearable but I don't really want to discuss that unless I become the reason why they fix if again.

I did a lot of research online and the cheapest I could find equivalent or better specs was up in the $100 region so yeah. Pretty special server.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@wii747 said: I have kept my server

I would keep mine for as long as possible. It has IPv6 so the problem of lack of IPs is non-existent. Even more, I have bought a "legendary" KS-1 just for fun and running 3 containers there, each with desktop and all, including the "host".
    The LE hosts one of my main desktops which needs to be perma on (apart from work one which, for obvious reasons, I keep at home only as well as various VPNs and backups plus files I need always online which I export as a block device).
    It is extremely useful for the price. I will cut the usage of some other VMs I have with dirt-cheap providers here.

• kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited March 2022

Keeping mine as well, for my needs 100Mbit isn't a problem. I'd still love to see this being upgraded in the future, though.

• KS-LE is best. All others are scams.

Thanked by 2ehab Maounique
  • Depends what you use it for it’s still a great machine especially the original blackfriday ks-le from

• Canceled mine, 100 Mbit/s down is not sufficient for me.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran
    edited March 2022

last few comments have said "100 Mbits" is the problem -
    Out of curiosity - what is it that you intend to use that requires over this limit?

And what was the motivation to get the KS-LE in the first place knowing the lottery of getting anything over 100Mbits is next to rare on the KS line..

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @plumberg said: what is it that you intend to use that requires over this limit?

File storage, for example backups? Internet connections in most developed areas are >100Mbps now so downloading large files from a server with only a 100Mbps connection is going to feel slow.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

If anyone has SYS-LE-2 (Canada or France) on a SYS CA manager account and doesn't need, PM me your price to transfer to me.

• @Daniel15 said:

@plumberg said: what is it that you intend to use that requires over this limit?

File storage, for example backups? Internet connections in most developed areas are >100Mbps now so downloading large files from a server with only a 100Mbps connection is going to feel slow.

true - Definitely not worth putting as FIRST backup point if you need immediate access to the data... But again, I have seen consistent 100mbps throughout and serves decent for secondary backup

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@plumberg said:

@Daniel15 said:

@plumberg said: what is it that you intend to use that requires over this limit?

true - Definitely not worth putting as FIRST backup point if you need immediate access to the data... But again, I have seen consistent 100mbps throughout and serves decent for secondary backup

Yeah I think it can be good enough for a single user, or several sporadic users. If you have a dozen people using it, all trying to upload and download at the same time, 100Mbps is definitely going to be limiting.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@plumberg said: But again, I have seen consistent 100mbps throughout and serves decent for secondary backup

Yes, you can bank on the fact that it will be consistent.

@Daniel15 said: If you have a dozen people using it, all trying to upload and download at the same time, 100Mbps is definitely going to be limiting.

I am not sure. It can store at mot 4 TB, no matter how many ppl download same time (presumably not the same back-up, obviously) overall the time needed to download 4 tb would be the same. There would be smaller back-ups each, so, eventually, some will finish before others and will increase speed for larger ones.

• WolfWolf Member

In case anyone got a KS-LE-2 in France to transfer, please let me know! Got an EU Account, but I'd be willed to create a new one in a different region. :smile:

Thanks!

• @Wolf said:
    In case anyone got a KS-LE-2 in France to transfer, please let me know! Got an EU Account, but I'd be willed to create a new one in a different region. :smile:

Thanks!

For SYS and KS they won't allow transfers. Only ovh accounts.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting OVHcloud regarding your server.
    It will be my pleasure to assist you

Service transfers between two So you Start account are no longer possible.

We thank you for your understanding.

• EmuAGREmuAGR Member
    edited March 2022

I wish I had seen this back in the day. Still rocking a "Flash Sale KS-04", tho.

• RoldanRoldan Member
    edited March 2022

KS-LE still serve us well :)

• @Roldan said:

What you using it for?

• @allthemtings said:

@Roldan said:

What you using it for?

Public Media Site.

• How many people still have these machines? Did you ever find a perfect use case for it? Very curious how many people let these go

• @allthemtings said:
    How many people still have these machines? Did you ever find a perfect use case for it? Very curious how many people let these go

I have 2 of them, both running Proxmox. One is purely for Plex (google drive and using 1 of the drives as a cache) and the other one has all of the support apps for Plex (*aar, etc) plus some other random stuff.

Stupidly cheap, dedicated and fits my use case like a glove.

Thanked by 2ehab devp
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited May 2022

@allthemtings said:
    How many people still have these machines? Did you ever find a perfect use case for it? Very curious how many people let these go

Web, email, gameservers

None of these really need >100mbit or SSDs. Under apachebench load, CPU is the bottleneck

Also with rising energy costs they are literally cheaper than hosting at home

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@allthemtings said:

I was using a couple for media streaming and storage, I'm letting both expire this month because my love affair with OVH is over.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • VoidVoid Member

@Nekki said:

@allthemtings said:

I was using a couple for media streaming and storage, I'm letting both expire this month because my love affair with OVH is over.

They refused to look at it too?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jmaxwell said:

@Nekki said:

@allthemtings said:

They refused to look at it too?

Not just refused, point blank threatened a restraining order if I didn’t stop sending pics.

• Mine runs proxmox with various lxc instances mostly for on demand CPU stuff like x265 encoding of older codecs

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

Premium idling.

Jk. Use as my daily driver for rdp and jumpbox

• sorry,the selected server or configuration no longer available!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stevenchen said:
    sorry,the selected server or configuration no longer available!

Sir, I am afraid you are nearly 6 months too late for this particular deal.

But feat not - that means you are likely only 6 months away from the next deal, so rejoice and be merry, for this is a bully situation to find yourself in, bully I say!

Thanked by 2webcraft skorous
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Premium idling.