Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE - Page 40
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE

Comments

• @BarkingIron said:
    The Google routing trick was pretty great. Does anyone have any other tips for tweaking the KS-LE?

Running into any issues?

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:
    The Google routing trick was pretty great. Does anyone have any other tips for tweaking the KS-LE?

Running into any issues?

No issues - just trying to see if there are other tweaks I dont know about. Maybe something to increase the disk speed.

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Running into any issues?

No issues - just trying to see if there are other tweaks I dont know about. Maybe something to increase the disk speed.

Ahmmm - I would put effort into tweaking iff I run into an issue usually. Until then, adding more tweaks would just mean shooting in the dark while impacting the performance at some unknown place.

Play safe B)

• @BarkingIron said:

Another trick: Traffic between servers in the same DC isn't speed limited to 100mbit.

I have 2x KS-LE in the same DC and can push gigabit both ways between them.

Find a suitable VPS for a "proxy" and voila, gigabit internet up and down.

Only works on the KS-LE.

• @dahartigan said:

@BarkingIron said:

Another trick: Traffic between servers in the same DC isn't speed limited to 100mbit.

Only works on the KS-LE.

Do we need internal ip for that full speed exchange? Thnx

• @plumberg said:

@dahartigan said:

@BarkingIron said:

Only works on the KS-LE.

Do we need internal ip for that full speed exchange? Thnx

Nope. Works on the standard public internet.

• Whats the longest someones waited for a server to get setup? I bought a SYS-LE-4 on Dec 2nd that said it would get setup within 10 days but now I still havent gotten anything and its a month and 10 days roughly~

• @analog said:
    Whats the longest someones waited for a server to get setup? I bought a SYS-LE-4 on Dec 2nd that said it would get setup within 10 days but now I still havent gotten anything and its a month and 10 days roughly~

Provisioned for me after 19 days.

• @dahartigan said:

@BarkingIron said:

Only works on the KS-LE.

Test this only run on BHS.

• @Lutung said:

@dahartigan said:

@BarkingIron said:

Only works on the KS-LE.

I have tested this only in BHS.

• With sys server I can setup raid 0 for performance. What can I do on my KSLE?

• speedtest to other DC

lesca:~# speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Fibernetics - Toronto, ON (id = 23748)
             ISP: OVH Hosting
         Latency:     7.03 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
        Download:   936.88 Mbps (data used: 784.0 MB )
          Upload:    95.02 Mbps (data used: 121.1 MB )
     Packet Loss:     0.0%
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bcaaca21-9442-4fa5-a6d5-33e0eb9e82c1

Speedtest to OVH BSH

lesca:~# speedtest -s 25984

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: OVHcloud - Beauharnois, QC (id = 25984)
         Latency:     0.15 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
        Download:   930.98 Mbps (data used: 430.6 MB )
          Upload:   928.60 Mbps (data used: 419.0 MB )
      Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bfedf673-4f44-4342-94e5-2576b6a13ac4

• @dahartigan said:

@Lutung said:

@dahartigan said:

@BarkingIron said:

Only works on the KS-LE.

I have tested this only in BHS.

Yes work only on BHS

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • guys has everyone had regrets and set their KS-LE to cancel yet?

• @JoeMerit said:
    guys has everyone had regrets and set their KS-LE to cancel yet?

Why regrets?

• @JoeMerit said:
    guys has everyone had regrets and set their KS-LE to cancel yet?

How can you regret that hardware for the price ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Lutung said: Yes work only on BHS

@dahartigan said: I have tested this only in BHS.

I had Gbit speed between GRA and RBX, so it not only not limited to BHS, but works across different DCs as well. But maybe not across the Atlantic.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2022

Anyone tried to get IPMI working yet?

I found an old post mentioning that this spec didn’t have IPMI (via CP) when it was in SYS, so the ipmi static IP config is probably left over from when this spec was OVH - ie no longer used. As a first step I have disabled network access to ipmi on mine and no interventions etc were triggered

• @darkimmortal said:

I found an old post mentioning that this spec didn’t have IPMI (via CP) when it was in SYS, so the ipmi static IP config is probably left over from when this spec was OVH - ie no longer used. As a first step I have disabled network access to ipmi on mine and no interventions etc were triggered

I don't have any options indicating IPMI for me. Where is it?

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2022

@BarkingIron said:

@darkimmortal said:

I don't have any options indicating IPMI for me. Where is it?

The motherboard has IPMI but it is not exposed in the control panel. Theoretically it may be possible to expose it to the internet via shared NIC mode, but whether it can be done securely and without cutting internet access to the box itself is another question

• @Lutung said:
    speedtest to other DC

Speedtest by Ookla

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bcaaca21-9442-4fa5-a6d5-33e0eb9e82c1

Speedtest to OVH BSH

Speedtest by Ookla

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bfedf673-4f44-4342-94e5-2576b6a13ac4

Damn thats really cool, you need 2 servers in the same DC to achieve this?

• @allthemtings said:

@Lutung said:
    speedtest to other DC

Speedtest by Ookla

Speedtest to OVH BSH

Speedtest by Ookla

Damn thats really cool, you need 2 servers in the same DC to achieve this?

Maybe you need VPS in the same DC.

Thanked by 1craigb
  • @wuck said: How can you regret that hardware for the price ?

there are people here that still haven't found a use case for it... One of my big problems with it is that its only 100mbit upload, You have powerful high-end hardware with this huge restriction.

• @JoeMerit said:

@wuck said: How can you regret that hardware for the price ?

there are people here that still haven't found a use case for it... One of my big problems with it is that its only 100mbit upload, You have powerful high-end hardware with this huge restriction.

I haven't had an issue with it even streaming Plex. What are people doing with it where 100 Mbps is a bottleneck?

• lets say you are using it for backups and you need 2TB of data back, thats going to take a long time at 100mbit.. basically, to get any data off this thing is going to take a long time. I have gigabit internet and can only get 10% of my linespeed from this server. Not great.

• @JoeMerit said:
    lets say you are using it for backups and you need 2TB of data back, thats going to take a long time at 100mbit.. basically, to get any data off this thing is going to take a long time. I have gigabit internet and can only get 10% of my linespeed from this server. Not great.

You are probably not using the right service according to your use case.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either the company, the offer or the delivered service. Ofcourse there are some gifts like better speeds one way, but that's about it.

It works 100% as advertised, solid performance.

If someone regrets this, they either bought it with the incorrect intention, or essentially buying into FOMO

• @plumberg said: If someone regrets this, they either bought it with the incorrect intention, or essentially buying into FOMO

totally this. 100 Mbit on a storage solution is still rather useless nowadays, so understandable that one might think of the KSs being quite overrated :-P

• @Falzo said:

@plumberg said: If someone regrets this, they either bought it with the incorrect intention, or essentially buying into FOMO

totally this. 100 Mbit on a storage solution is still rather useless nowadays, so understandable that one might think of the KSs being quite overrated :-P

This is good I feel to run a back of backup of backups or some low bandwidth setup only. Or setting up RDP or personal hosting, nothing more

• I got 15 days to come up with something that makes this server worth 15 euros to me. Part of the problem is that I got like 15 euros worth of VPS too, so it instantly doubled my hobby hosting costs. I kind of prefer having lots of VPS spread around vs a single powerful server. I could just kill all the VPS though. The KS-LE has way more power than all of them combined but then they beat it out for redundancy, having multiple servers in multiple locations with multiple companies vs 1 server.

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited January 2022

@rm_ said:

@Lutung said: Yes work only on BHS

@dahartigan said: I have tested this only in BHS.

I had Gbit speed between GRA and RBX, so it not only not limited to BHS, but works across different DCs as well. But maybe not across the Atlantic.

I'll clarify. KS-LE in BHS with 1 gigabit outbound seems to only work to other boxes in BHS. KS-LE in BHS with 1 gigabit inbound seems to work everywhere.