Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE - Page 38
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE

Comments

• I'm looking for 8T 1GB/s uplink and downlink for which I'm willing to pay $200 to transfer it if it's good enough to transfer

• simlevsimlev Member
    edited December 2021

@fLoo said:

@Neoon said:
    If anyone can publish a working howto to put ZFS with Proxmox 7 on that KS-LE, lemme know.
    I just wasted 3 hours to get this bitch booting, but it refuses to boot.

Sadly, the Server does not have a IPMI.

Easy:

1. Boot into rescue
    2. Install qemu-system

apt-get update && apt-get -y install qemu-system-x86

1. Place Proxmox ISO into /tmp

wget -O "https://www.proxmox.com/..../proxmox-iso-url.com/..." /tmp/install.iso

You have to generate yourself a download URL urself as proxmox uses redirection for their download link. (Start download on Chrome. CTRL+J and copy URL

1. Start ISO using Qemu and install

qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::8006-:8006 -m 4096M -localtime -enable-kvm -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -vnc 0.0.0.0:0 -cdrom /tmp/install.iso -boot d

1. Forward port 5900 using Putty to localhost:5900

VNC to display :0 (Thats port 5900)

ZFS RAID1 wasn't working for me: after a reboot the system woudn't get online; on the other hand, with ext4 on one hard drive or btrf in RAID1 it would come online just fine. I was pulling my hair until I narrowed the issue down to this option I was using: -bios /usr/share/ovmf/OVMF.fd. It's supposed to load a UEFI firmware in QEMU, and it seemed the right thing to do, except it apparently isn't compatible with ZFS. Anyone has a clue of an explanation?

Here are the complete commands I used (working for me now):

wget http://download.proxmox.com/iso/proxmox-ve_7.1-2.iso -P /tmp
    qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -nodefaults -cdrom /tmp/proxmox-ve_7.1-2.iso -hda /dev/sda -hdb /dev/sdb -smp 4 -m 4G -net nic -net user -vga std -vnc localhost:0 -usbdevice tablet -k <my_keyboard_country_code>

And the contents of /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
            address xxx.xxx.xxx.123/24
            gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.254
            hwaddress xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
            bridge-ports eno1
            bridge-stp off
            bridge-fd 0

Thanked by 2wii747 ehab
  • Anybody else trying to set this up with proxmox and Opnsense/Pfsense as a VM for routing (IPv4 and IPv6)?

I found two threads discussing this, but they were not helpful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/6fv2bf/kimsufi_assign_public_ip_to_pfsense_vm/

TL;DR:
    Assign NIC MAC to virtual NIC of Pfsense VM, physical NIC of hosts gets new MAC
    This breaks my hosts connectivity as soon as I try to change the MAC (probably some OVH related mechanisms)

Tried this one for at least IPv6 routing within PFsense VM, but doesn't work either.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opnsense-pfsense-ipv6-and-vips-vips-not-routable-ovh-network.59711/post-275643

So in case anybody has solved my issues, feel free to comment!

Br and happy holidays

• $ openssl rand -base64 15

• Since the wife is sleeping after so much food, I installed Windows Server 2019 on the KS-LE via qemu. Works a treat once you force RDP to use TCP and not UDP (I struggled with this a few days ago when I tried, RDP was unusable). Now let's install Hyper-V and do some NATing. Nice little server, when I think I almost let it go...

• @fredo1664 said:
    Since the wife is sleeping after so much food, I installed Windows Server 2019 on the KS-LE via qemu. Works a treat once you force RDP to use TCP and not UDP (I struggled with this a few days ago when I tried, RDP was unusable). Now let's install Hyper-V and do some NATing. Nice little server, when I think I almost let it go...

How do you force rdp with TCP? What's issue with udp?

• Between my KS-LE and where I am there is 30ms latency and for some reason RDP is unusable out of the box. It's working on my SYS servers with the OVH image though (I suspect they allow only TCP through the firewall). I googled and there seem to be a consensus that if RDP is acting up, you should try TCP instead of UDP, which I did, and it's working.
    You can force the protocol via Group Policy: Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Remote Desktop Services --> Remote Desktop Session Host --> Connection --> Select RDP transport Protocols.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @fredo1664 said:
    Between my KS-LE and where I am there is 30ms latency and for some reason RDP is unusable out of the box. It's working on my SYS servers with the OVH image though (I suspect they allow only TCP through the firewall). I googled and there seem to be a consensus that if RDP is acting up, you should try TCP instead of UDP, which I did, and it's working.
    You can force the protocol via Group Policy: Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Remote Desktop Services --> Remote Desktop Session Host --> Connection --> Select RDP transport Protocols.

i see. for me, I dont know whether its TCP/ udp - but its been overall stable with RDP. Thnx for sharing

• fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited December 2021

i see. for me, I dont know whether its TCP/ udp - but its been overall stable with RDP. Thnx for sharing

No problem. It's working for you on the KS-LE? Or on a SYS box with the official OVH image?

• @fredo1664 said:

No problem. It's working for you on the KS-LE? Or on a SYS box with the official OVH image?

Both.
    But I installed 2022 server via kvm...

How can i access the official image for sys?

• How can i access the official image for sys?

You need to add a Windows license, or rent one from SYS.

• @fredo1664 said:

How can i access the official image for sys?

You need to add a Windows license, or rent one from SYS.

Gotcha! Have you tried adding MSDN license key on SyS License page? does it work?

• Gotcha! Have you tried adding MSDN license key on SyS License page? does it work?

I don't know but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • So....what are folks using their KS-LE for?

• @BarkingIron said:
    So....what are folks using their KS-LE for?

Why do we need to use it?

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • @BarkingIron said:

Still haven’t found the perfect use case for it honestly

• @BarkingIron said:

Windows Server 2019 for learning. A Hyper-V VM running RHEL 8 to replace my linode VPS, hosting a few small websites.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @fredo1664 said:

@BarkingIron said:

Windows Server 2019 for learning. A Hyper-V VM running RHEL 8 to replace my linode VPS, hosting a few small websites.

Dang that's nice. Howz your experience so far?

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

• @allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

That makes more sense

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@allthemtings said: Still haven’t found the perfect use case for it honestly

This is my first OVH server. I have tried many years in the past to order something from them but they always said I was a fraud so gave up altogether for a decade.
    Their networking setup is weird especially on IPv6 side, but I have managed to have a full working proxmox with IPv6 and IPv4 after some 3 hours or more.
    Forwarding everything to a VM inside didnt work, neither separately, ipv4 or IPv6 at a time. The MAC trick doesnt seem to be working.

• @plumberg said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

That makes more sense

I’m currently running plex seedbox it does the job but definitely could be used for a better purpose

• @allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

That makes more sense

I’m currently running plex seedbox it does the job but definitely could be used for a better purpose

That was my initial plan with it but the plan was rendered moot after I wont the SYS 2 lottery. Now I am getting FOMO about letting it go. Renewing it would be stupid.

• @BarkingIron said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

That makes more sense

That was my initial plan with it but the plan was rendered moot after I wont the SYS 2 lottery. Now I am getting FOMO about letting it go. Renewing it would be stupid.

The price is crazy for what you get, can’t really go wrong keeping it! It’s interesting to see what other people are using it for aswell it’s a great machine

• @BarkingIron said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@allthemtings said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Premium idling?

That makes more sense

Anyone willing to resell? :smile:

• @BarkingIron said:

I’m using it for a bunch of VMs that fit in the uptime gap between ‘24/7 pagerduty’ and home server

For extra IPs I’m using the unofficial /64 and WireGuard over ipv6 to a SYS box with spare IPs

• @plumberg said:

@fredo1664 said:

@BarkingIron said:

Not bad!
    Since there's only one IP, the Windows Server is doing the NAT for the RHEL guest, so I had to learn how to do that on Windows. Also learnt how to have IIS act as a reverse proxy for the websites in the guest. I use an OpenVPN client on it as well, which connects to my home router, so the KS-LE has an IP on my LAN. SMB is pretty slow due to the latency and the VPN, but it's working, I can access shares from any device at home.
    For the price, it's good fun.

• @fredo1664 said:

@plumberg said:

@fredo1664 said:

@BarkingIron said:

Not bad!
    Since there's only one IP, the Windows Server is doing the NAT for the RHEL guest, so I had to learn how to do that on Windows. Also learnt how to have IIS act as a reverse proxy for the websites in the guest. I use an OpenVPN client on it as well, which connects to my home router, so the KS-LE has an IP on my LAN. SMB is pretty slow due to the latency and the VPN, but it's working, I can access shares from any device at home.
    For the price, it's good fun.

Very interesting setup

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@darkimmortal said: For extra IPs I’m using the unofficial /64 and WireGuard over ipv6 to a SYS box with spare IPs

You mean IPv4 extra IPs, right, because you have a full /64 to use regarding IPv6.

• RoldanRoldan Member
    edited January 2022

@BarkingIron said:

CentOS with CMM and a media site :D