Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE - Page 39
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] Black Friday - Limited Edition KS-LE

Comments

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2022

Anyone experiencing slow uploads (send speed) from their KS-LE in Canada? I also have a KS-07 in Canada which consistently performs a lot better. Ping times and traceroutes/mtr are the same on both servers.

Wonder if there's an issue with my network interface, or if ovh is throttling the KS-LE?

iperf3 IPv4 Send Speed side-by-side comparison:

---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | KS-LE           | KS-07 (2018)
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 37.5 Mbits/sec  | 91.8 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 33.0 Mbits/sec  | 91.5 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 35.1 Mbits/sec  | 90.4 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 5.39 Mbits/sec  | 72.1 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 94.8 Mbits/sec  | 93.9 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 57.4 Mbits/sec  | 92.3 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 42.8 Mbits/sec  | 92.1 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 15.5 Mbits/sec  | 88.9 Mbits/sec

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@jon617 said: Anyone experiencing slow uploads (send speed) from their KS-LE in Canada? I also have a KS-07 in Canada which consistently performs better.

Is distro the same on both? Maybe you tuned the TCP Congestion control on KS-07?

Othewise might be a variation of how much their network is loaded across different racks.

Switching to bbr would help improve speeds on the KS-LE to some degree.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2022

@rm_ said: Is distro the same on both?

Good point. KS-LE has stock CentOS 7 installed by me from rescue boot, and the older KS-07 has an ovh-installed CentOS 7. I'll switch the OS on the KS-LE, see if that helps.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@jon617 said: Both distros are identical.

Try echo bbr > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_congestion_control on the KS-LE and then re-run the test.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited January 2022

@rm_ said: Try echo bbr

Thanks! Wow, huge difference! Had to update the kernel to v4+ to use bbr, and happy with the send speed. On the KS-LE:

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed
                    |                           |               
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 91.9 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 90.4 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 89.7 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 67.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 95.6 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 93.3 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 92.2 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 86.3 Mbits/sec

Used instructions from https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-deploy-google-bbr-on-centos-7

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2022

@rm_ said:

@jon617 said: Anyone experiencing slow uploads (send speed) from their KS-LE in Canada? I also have a KS-07 in Canada which consistently performs better.

Is distro the same on both? Maybe you tuned the TCP Congestion control on KS-07?

Othewise might be a variation of how much their network is loaded across different racks.

Switching to bbr would help improve speeds on the KS-LE to some degree.

@jon617 Since you have a decent amount of memory, you can also try adjusting the TCP buffer size (rmem and wmem). Google search for "Linux TCP rmem" should return useful articles. The defaults are very conservative given Linux runs on such a wide range of devices.

Thanked by 1jon617
  • @jon617 said:

@rm_ said: Try echo bbr

Thanks! Wow, huge difference! Had to update the kernel to v4+ to use bbr, and happy with the send speed. On the KS-LE:

Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed
                    |                           |               
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 91.9 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 90.4 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 89.7 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 67.8 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 95.6 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 93.3 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 92.2 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 86.3 Mbits/sec

Used instructions from https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-deploy-google-bbr-on-centos-7

Dunno what I did, can't seem to get brr setup.

I installed the 5x kernel and still system boots with 3x

I restarted couple times. Centos 7.
    No luck.

• @plumberg said: installed the 5x kernel and still system boots with 3x

Did you grub2-set-default the correct number? They used 1 in their example, my 5.x was 0.

• @jon617 said:

@plumberg said: installed the 5x kernel and still system boots with 3x

Did you grub2-set-default the correct number? They used 1 in their example, my 5.x was 0.

Oh.. do I need to set default? I thought since it was the first one (like you) it should take effect.
    Lemme try that

• @jon617 said:

o boy - this was the missing step - all my send speeds hit 90+ now instead of the pathetic 10s and 20s

But, the receive - only 1gbps is seen in FR/ UK. NL
    Across atlantic, its pathetic - anything to make that better?

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 95.8 Mbits/sec  | 804 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 95.8 Mbits/sec  | 808 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 95.6 Mbits/sec  | 768 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 83.1 Mbits/sec  | 135 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 91.5 Mbits/sec  | 114 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 87.4 Mbits/sec  | 192 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 87.5 Mbits/sec  | 95.5 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 79.9 Mbits/sec  | 113 Mbits/sec

• @plumberg said:

@jon617 said:

o boy - this was the missing step - all my send speeds hit 90+ now instead of the pathetic 10s and 20s

Atlantic speeds are same for me. I don't think there is a lot that we can do

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@jon617 said:

hmmm, I think earlier NY was hitting atleast 250+...

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@jon617 said:

hmmm, I think earlier NY was hitting atleast 250+...

Temporary congestion i guess

• Guys with the ZFS/Proxmox 7, is it advisable to use HDD with cache mode on? (write back)

• Does anyone know how I could possibly rent out the server to someone? I don't want to let it go but just have no specific use for it yet.

• @BarkingIron said:
    Does anyone know how I could possibly rent out the server to someone? I don't want to let it go but just have no specific use for it yet.

via WHMCS & Kimsufi module with payment option.

• @BarkingIron said:
    Does anyone know how I could possibly rent out the server to someone? I don't want to let it go but just have no specific use for it yet.

Why keep it? You risk abuse from third person... FOMO is really over rated at LET.

Else if it's a short term place where you dont need it, then let it idle

• @MohamadSY said:

@BarkingIron said:

via WHMCS & Kimsufi module with payment option.

Yeah just getting that for KS is too expensive.

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Why keep it? You risk abuse from third person... FOMO is really over rated at LET.

I can't do anything with it for the next two months or so but I do have long term plans.

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

I can't do anything with it for the next two months or so but I do have long term plans.

Let it idle if it's just 2 months

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Maybe I'll run SETI on it

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

What specs you got on this?

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Ah SETI no longer distributing tasks.

The standard specs? Got a gig down though

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Well power it off and save the environment till you need it.

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Orrrrrr a Linux iso seedbox.

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

Tou can never have too many seedboxes

• @BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

What is your favorite tracker?

• @plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

@plumberg said:

@BarkingIron said:

What is your favorite tracker?

One of the private trackers that a fellow LET got me on.

• Anyone got a SYS-LE-4 BF sale they wanna sell?

• The Google routing trick was pretty great. Does anyone have any other tips for tweaking the KS-LE?