Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Move your services! - Page 19
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Move your services!

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I thought this episode is almost over, .. but not :smile:

Thanked by 1LowLowLow
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Saahib said:
    I thought this episode is almost over, .. but not :smile:

It is over, but competition wants to fuel the fire for their own profits. This is how market works: a dead body means food for the rising worms.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited May 2021

@default said: but competition wants to fuel the fire for their own profits

If he had competition, considering his offerings and prices, no one here would would QQ due to the fact that this is happening :D

They'll just move on to the so called "competitor", restore their backup and be on their way.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@thedp said:

If he had competition, considering his offerings and prices, no one here would would QQ due to the fact that this is happening :D

They'll just move on to the so called "competitor", restore their backup and be on their way.

I ain't moving anything. I have 2 servers with HostSolutions and they are both up and running. I expect downtime anytime, but I don't care because I knew this when I signed up. This is a provider that I respect, even though it may not be that great for production environment because of such downtime from time to time.

You are absolutely and totally right about backups. Every person should have backups, and backups of backups if possible. I love backups. In fact, HostSolutions is an encrypted backup of a backup, for me at least.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • I thought the disk is fine, but data is not readable. If you want to recover 400*12T, it means you need lots of other disks to put the recovered data.

• LeviLevi Member

@default said:

@thedp said:

I ain't moving anything. I have 2 servers with HostSolutions and they are both up and running. I expect downtime anytime, but I don't care because I knew this when I signed up. This is a provider that I respect, even though it may not be that great for production environment because of such downtime from time to time.

You are absolutely and totally right about backups. Every person should have backups, and backups of backups if possible. I love backups. In fact, HostSolutions is an encrypted backup of a backup, for me at least.

But when is backup of backups is enough? One can go insane in vicious cycle!

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:
    But when is backup of backups is enough? One can go insane in vicious cycle!

How Many Servers Do You Need for a Crucial Website?

You need:

• punch cards kept in California.
    • microfilm buried in Antarctica.
    • vinyl record launched to Jupiter.

Your data would be 99.9999% secure by recovering from the cold storage.
    To finally reach 100%, transmit your data as radio waves toward a black hole.

• ben47955ben47955 Member
    edited May 2021

If your data isn't on at least two planet, nothing is safe.

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

@lentro said:

@LTniger said:
    Guys, keep topic derail within sane limits. Does anyone has more than few servers with kokio?

Lol, around 20 storage servers from me. I don’t think anyone uses their server(s) for production though.

Wow, all servers for iso seeding or anything else? The damage for you is significant.

Yes, it is, considering most are multi-TB boxes paid for 2-3 years when I ordered them. But at the same time, I took a calculated risk that has already paid off. Anyone who saw one of cociu’s offers would have been crazy not to factor in a deadpool event into their risk assessment

• WilliamWilliam Member

@jsg said: I'm amazed how people take that HE listing seriously, as if one could only have (and route) IPs attributed at HE.

BGP data is public by design. HE has the same data as my router.

Thanked by 30xbkt miu boernd
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2021

@Francisco said: Very much doubt he used SMR drives. Maybe I'm crazy but i'm pretty sure the drives would've fallen out of any array he put them in (be it hardware or soft/zfs) if they were.

I would not be so sure. SMR drives are incredibly cheap.

They do MDADM RAID1/10 fine, Hardware also, but yea any RAID5/50/6/60 (and even 0) will fall apart. ZFS can be patched to ignore the timeouts but it's ugly.

Nice offline backup drives tho, i run a single ZFS pool on one and just feed backups in as snapshots.

Thanked by 2coolice vimalware
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

HS is going to lose customers over this fiasco.

At the same time, this thread will probably bring him even more customers. Don't know why certain people won't let this thread die.

I smell something is going behind scenes.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@imgmoney said:
    since he used to provide services to warez related providers, a single customer can own a storage capacity of 2PB and it is easily achievable. I was once an LSW customer who paid 30K euro a month owning just 30 servers. You cannot judge one by their username or by their communication.

How many servers you own now

• LeviLevi Member

@deank said: Don't know why certain people won't let this thread die.

Because you must feed the drama. It is far from over. What actually happened to servers? How it will end? How is the bankruptcy case? Provider tag reanimation?

• @deank said: I smell something is going behind scenes.

People just want drama, and this is a good drama thread after a very long time. The last thread which had this kind of drama was probably the alpha/woot shutdown.

Also, you have a cociu fan in here who keeps posting "everything is fine" and when people point out mistakes in his reasoning, he comes up with more implausible explanations. Which keeps the thread rolling.

See ya'll on Monday, when cociu will be back with news on how to get out of this situation.

Thanked by 2webcraft LowLowLow
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@deank said: At the same time, this thread will probably bring him even more customers. Don't know why certain people won't let this thread die.

I was in fact thinking of just buying the company once i saw this thread. It has value and i could cover 60k debt with hardware and IPs easily - Then use the existing transit contracts up fully (he for sure has no 95/5 billing but flat ports) and make some cash this way.

Then either keep the brand or close it entirely - But its all around too much work for not enough profit.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • Best wishes!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@jsg said:

@LTniger said:
    400 hard disk drives failed due to power failure? 400. Not 4, not 40, but 400.

I don't think that a whole array of disks dies because there's a power failure but we can't judge it anyway because we have very little information available. The "power failure/UPS" thing comes from a single source, @MikePT, who got it from @cociu who says himself that he isn't a techie.
    So all we can do (so far) is to speculate - and based on very little and not necessarily correct information.

And frankly, who cares anyway? What probably virtually everyone (concerned at all) wants is to know (a) when will the VPS be online again, and (b) how much data can be saved. I personally would add some more questions like. e.g. what HostSolutions has learned from the situation and how they'll make sure that it doesn't repeat and that our data are safe there but then most of cociu's customers aren't there for excellence, they are there for very low prices.

Hint: (At least for the time being) HostSolution's storage offers should be considered additional backup and purchased as such (read: if it goes belly up you have another and real backup).

That's what I was told by Marius! :)

Thanked by 1LowLowLow
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

I need more popcorns !

• LeviLevi Member

@William said:

@deank said: At the same time, this thread will probably bring him even more customers. Don't know why certain people won't let this thread die.

I was in fact thinking of just buying the company once i saw this thread. It has value and i could cover 60k debt with hardware and IPs easily - Then use the existing transit contracts up fully (he for sure has no 95/5 billing but flat ports) and make some cash this way.

Then either keep the brand or close it entirely - But its all around too much work for not enough profit.

Are you considered to be a IPv4 mogul? How tall is your IP space?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@MikePT said: That's what I was told by Marius!

It's ok mate, no one's blaming you for anything or putting you under the spotlight. We are very well aware of your responsibilities @ HS :D

There's just some inconsistencies with regards to the information shared where in cociu's ONLY response ever since this incident occurred, he didn't mention about the UPS/power failure, or anything along those lines.

Well yeah, we know he's not a techie but if he's been traveling back and forth to the DC like he said he did, I'm pretty sure he has techie guys on site with him to tell him what's up as they're looking into it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@LTniger said: Are you considered to be a IPv4 mogul? How tall is your IP space?

No. 138meters.

• seriesnseriesn Member

@William said:

@LTniger said: Are you considered to be a IPv4 mogul? How tall is your IP space?

No. 138meters.

3 inches

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@seriesn said:

@William said:

No. 138meters.

3 inches

same as my 🐓

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@William said:

No. 138meters.

I want a small slice of that, in meters, the precise size of number Pi.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@default said:

@William said:

No. 138meters.

I want a small slice of that, in meters, the precise size of number Pi.

Give him a slice

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Francisco said:
    OK, so lets get to the meat of it then. Do you truly believe a 'UPS failure' fried 400 drives?

No, I do not believe that. But then I never gave much on that hearsay line anyway.

Here's my take:

• #1: He's been overselling his storage space via thin provisioning (qcow2, LVM thin provisioning). With the roll out of Chia, there's no compression/deduplication possible, and those users went wild and ran through their space.

When you run out of space on a thin provision LVM pool, you can't actually start the pool unless you have at least a tiny bit (even a couple GB) of space spare on the volgroup for the metadata. Without that, it won't start. Infact, for the longest time, the volgroup would destroy itself (eat its own metadata partition) when it ran out of space. If he's on an old enough kernel/lvm version, could've happened.

Yes, I also think it's something storage related but I don't have enough information about his storage system to make an educated guess what really happened.

• #2: - He owes his datacenter a lot of money as has been mentioned in the filings and the DC simply cut some of his power to slow down the debt from growing much more.

Afaik he owns and runs his own DC and based on what my friend and colleague has seen and knows it's not a rotten shack.

• #3: - A crack pot one, and more so a joke than anything, he sold the drives.

I even did consider that for a moment but think it's extremely unlikely.

• #4: - The outright lie - a UPS fried it.

I wouldn't call it a lie but a misunderstanding. That "explanation" comes from cociu (not a techie) via @MikePT (who only has cocius statement), but as MikePT does support for HS many took it as somehow official and it gained even more weight because cociu didn't please to provide any statement.
    But again, if that explanation were provided officially by cociu I wouldn't believe it but want more details and insist on cociu providing them.

I think it's #1 or #2, maybe both.

Based on what I know I exclude #2 and bet on #1.

And remember. Any power strip that'll be allowed to be used in a datacenter has surge protection in them with built in breakers. Those things would've tripped and protected the gear.

While I'm quite confident that cociu owns his DC I'm not at all confident wrt what is used inside. I wouldn't be surprised if for instance normal power strips (for home and office but not for DC use) were used.

Infact, don't APC/Tripp include insurance with every strip for this very event?

AFAIK he's got an UPS from some turkish manufacturer which may or may not be on par with what's normally used in european DCs.

But at the end of the day I do not even care a lot as a customer. I got a nice little storage box for an insanely low price and I never expected more than 98% availability and I'd even not have a serious problem if that dirt cheap system failed for a week once or twice in 3 years.

What angers me is that cociu didn't feel like providing a singly FYI. Nothing. That is utterly unacceptable and offending.

Thanked by 2maverickp LowLowLow
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2021

@stevewatson301 said:

@jsg said: Another point is that HE is about actually routed ranges and it's not uncommon for providers to quietly hold not yet used reserves.

So, having run out of arguments, are you saying that cociu is using IP ranges not routed on the internet to service their customers? :D

First, forget about your framing ("running out of arguments").

No, I'm saying that that list doesn't show, let alone prove, how many IPs a provider holds nor how many customers he has.

@fragpic said:
    This might explain why @jsg is so keen to defend HS. If I had 8 free VPS from a provider, I would damn well back them up in situations like this since I wouldn't have much to lose other than my free service.

Uhm, if saying "he behaved like an a__hole" means "he's defending him!" to you then you should see a psychiatrist.

What really bothers you is that I'm not joining the herd in blindly accusing and condemning @cociu and barking aggressively at him.

I'm an engineer and that's how I approach things. I want to know, to understand. "7 out of 9 nodes I have access to are working" was simply stating facts.

As you seem to not have got it - no surprise there: I have 1 ("one", 1 more than 0 and 1 less than 2) HS VPS. And a good friend and colleague of mine (and fan of cociu almost from the beginning) has a lot, 8 of which he gave me access to.

Sorry for spoiling your pig pit fun with facts.

@lentro said:
    ... Anyone who saw one of cociu’s offers would have been crazy not to factor in a deadpool event into their risk assessment ...

Yes. Maybe not a deadpool event but occasional failures, some of them multiple days or even a week or two.

@William said:
    BGP data is public by design. HE has the same data as my router.

Thanks, I know, but not everyone runs a real router plus bgp.he.net offers a nice interface.

@MikePT said:
    That's what I was told by Marius! :)

I know and I didn't mean to attack you in any way. You merely forwarded what cociu told you.

@thedp said:
    Well yeah, we know he's not a techie but if he's been traveling back and forth to the DC like he said he did, I'm pretty sure he has techie guys on site with him to tell him what's up as they're looking into it.

Plus I'm 100% certain cociu had a spare minute during the first 2 days and could - and damn should - have put a short FYI here.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2021

@jsg said: Thanks, I know, but not everyone runs a real router plus bgp.he.net offers a nice interface.

FYI you can always telnet into any of the servers at http://www.routeservers.org/ and get live BGP data from any of them.

@jsg said: But at the end of the day I do not even care a lot as a customer. I got a nice little storage box for an insanely low price and I never expected more than 98% availability and I'd even not have a serious problem if that dirt cheap system failed for a week once or twice in 3 years.

And this is why him trying to play his customers as fools is poor form.

Every business should have a realistic view of their operations. Where they excel, where they need improvement. They should then be able to look at how much they make, how much fixing those short comings will cost, and if it's worth it.

HS should know their target market/customer base and be upfront of how things are done. Is he overselling space hard to make the pricing work and has gambled poorly with Chia? Say that. Everyone already prepaid for X years and YYY% of credit top up. He's been down over a week now too.

No one believes there was any sort of power issue.

Francisco

Thanked by 3bulbasaur jsg nonissue
  • WilliamWilliam Member

@jsg said: AFAIK he's got an UPS from some turkish manufacturer which may or may not be on par with what's normally used in european DCs.

They will not pay. Ever. APC also never pays, neither does HP. They send you lawyers mostly.

@jsg said: Thanks, I know, but not everyone runs a real router plus bgp.he.net offers a nice interface.

Then use one of the 20 other services like my bgpinfo. Point being;: BGP data is correct. Always.

This discussion has been closed.