Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide - Page 81
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Black Friday 2020 - NVMe and Storage deals - deploy worldwide

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hey Guys, How many have you ordered HongKong VPS ?? :smiley:

• @JohnG said: I only got the 2 TB but I plan to do 1) Nextcloud

If you want to use it just for syncing files then I'd recommend Seafile over Nextcloud. Its backend syncing engine is far more efficient and reliable as it's written in C rather than PHP. As far as I know, Nextcloud still doesn't have delta sync, so if you change just a small piece of a large file, it has to reupload the entire file. Seafile only uploads the changes.

• @Daniel15 said:

@JohnG said: I only got the 2 TB but I plan to do 1) Nextcloud

If you want to use it just for syncing files then I'd recommend Seafile over Nextcloud. Its backend syncing engine is far more efficient and reliable as it's written in C rather than PHP. As far as I know, Nextcloud still doesn't have delta sync, so if you change just a small piece of a large file, it has to reupload the entire file. Seafile only uploads the changes.

I moved from NC to Seafile for this very reason. It just works if you know how to configure. I use the docker version and it's easy to move across VMs. Just tar the directory and run docker-compose up -d.

Thanked by 3Snacho vimalware Ouji
  • @Galeej said: I moved from NC to Seafile for this very reason. It just works if you know how to configure.

Yeah I've seen a lot of weirdness with Nextcloud (uploads that stop halfway or just don't work properly at all), whereas I've never had an issue with Seafile. A while back I synced 20 GB of content to Seafile and it worked fine.

Docker is a good idea. I manually installed it and sometimes things break on system updates (I think due to Python updates, as the web frontend uses Python) and I need to tweak the config. I currently run it on a BuyVM VPS with a 256 GB storage slab, but I think I'll migrate it onto my 2TB HostHatch storage VPS once I get that.

Thanked by 1Galeej
  • I don't want to hijack that thread and make it a Seafile/NC thread.
    But how's the performance on a 1x12.5%CPU instance with Seafile?
    I am using it on a Atom dedi and feel like it could be more snappy with a better CPU.

Beside that +1 for Seafile, works flawless!

• @Galeej said:

@Daniel15 said:

I moved from NC to Seafile for this very reason. It just works if you know how to configure. I use the docker version and it's easy to move across VMs. Just tar the directory and run docker-compose up -d.

Is it able to run on a 512mb storage box?

• @d0m1234 said:
    I don't want to hijack that thread and make it a Seafile/NC thread.
    I am using it on a Atom dedi and feel like it could be more snappy with a better CPU.

Are you sure that the problem exactly with the CPU, not the HDD which you may use as a system disk?

• @RedSox said:

@d0m1234 said:

Are you sure that the problem exactly with the CPU, not the HDD which you may use as a system disk?

The disk is a 6m old 2.5" and does perfectly fine. What I mean is especially when looking at pictures through the webui. It takes a second or two to show. Meanwhile I can see both cores peaking 80-100% load.

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: How many have you ordered HongKong VPS ??

I picked one up

• @elliotc said:

@Galeej said:

@Daniel15 said:

I have run it on 1gb letbox storage but not 512mb. I can try and give you for testing.

• RedSoxRedSox Member
    edited December 2020

@d0m1234 said:

@RedSox said:

@d0m1234 said:

The disk is a 6m old 2.5" and does perfectly fine. What I mean is especially when looking at pictures through the webui. It takes a second or two to show. Meanwhile I can see both cores peaking 80-100% load.

The same. When I look at pictures using webgui, cores always peak even 90-100%. I think it's due to those previews. Previews took a lot of CPU power, unfortunately. My core is around 3000-3500 points in geekbench 4. Check how good is your atom using yet another bench script and you understand. I'm talking about Nextcloud by the way, which is on a HDD. Even after tuning configs, it still takes time when you want to look at pictures thru webgui. I have a folder with 500 pictures and it takes 1-2 minutes to generate all the previews. I tried nextcloud on 4 cores machine and believe me, nextcloud is a very voracious, so what you have, NC will take it, especially if you didn't tune configs. Maybe your Seafile is the same voracious, I've never used it. I advise you to use NC on 1 GB machine minimum, if you so like webgui.

Thanked by 2vimalware azeem
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2020

@elliotc said:

I advise 1GB ram as MINIMUM for Seafile.
    1.5 would be ideal. it works flawless.

I'm still on 7.0.x latest stable because 7.1.x isn't stable enough to make me happy.

I allocate 3 GB ram to Seafile KVMs on my proxmox dedi and see around 2.7 GB used for process-memory+pagecache.
    I don't see the need to size it up further.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@skorous said:

@insight said: They provide a great service for the price no doubt about that, is just the fact when you engage support they lack on response.

He's been super-active here in this thread and he's said multiple times that those tickets will be handled but at the back of the queue. He's set appropriate expections. You're just being entitled.

I'm still confused on how you're saying they're not free upgrades. What did you pay for them?

That's a fair question, because the price asked for those is what I'm actually paying for less so I could destroy my existent servers and put a request for the new specs as mentioned on the thread... so instead I engaged support to ask for that possibility, to upgrade my existent ones while keeping my monthly payment.

A simple "yes its ok, we will comeback to you" or a "no, unfortunately we cannot do that for you" would be enough for me....

But it was already answered in OP and yet you still bothered with a ticket and then whined like a bitch when a non revenue increasing but labour increasing request comes in? Jesus Christ, your ego.

Order the new service, move your own shit over. Cancel the old service. There. Answered. Now close the ticket yourself.

I see you come to lowendtalk and expose your frustrations while insulting others, you simply don't know how to be polite. By Ego do you mean this:

"Did you also learn wrestling is fake as an adult?"
    "it's not silly, that's fucking practical."
    "then whined like a bitch"
    "I just lost brain cells reading that"
    "In what universe do you live in, because it's not with the rest of us?"

I would recommend you to see a doctor and ask for medical support because right now you are just a bit in a world of bytes (it make you feel better by insulting others in a forum?), there is one thing that distinguish us from the animals, the ability to communicate in a polite fashion.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@insight said:

@TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@skorous said:

@insight said: They provide a great service for the price no doubt about that, is just the fact when you engage support they lack on response.

He's been super-active here in this thread and he's said multiple times that those tickets will be handled but at the back of the queue. He's set appropriate expections. You're just being entitled.

I'm still confused on how you're saying they're not free upgrades. What did you pay for them?

That's a fair question, because the price asked for those is what I'm actually paying for less so I could destroy my existent servers and put a request for the new specs as mentioned on the thread... so instead I engaged support to ask for that possibility, to upgrade my existent ones while keeping my monthly payment.

A simple "yes its ok, we will comeback to you" or a "no, unfortunately we cannot do that for you" would be enough for me....

But it was already answered in OP and yet you still bothered with a ticket and then whined like a bitch when a non revenue increasing but labour increasing request comes in? Jesus Christ, your ego.

Order the new service, move your own shit over. Cancel the old service. There. Answered. Now close the ticket yourself.

I see you come to lowendtalk and expose your frustrations while insulting others, you simply don't know how to be polite. By Ego do you mean this:

I would recommend you to see a doctor and ask for medical support because right now you are just a bit in a world of bytes (it make you feel better by insulting others in a forum?), there is one thing that distinguish us from the animals, the ability to communicate in a polite fashion.

Thanks for sharing these valuable insights!

Thanked by 1insight
  • @Galeej said:

@Daniel15 said:

I moved from NC to Seafile for this very reason. It just works if you know how to configure. I use the docker version and it's easy to move across VMs. Just tar the directory and run docker-compose up -d

Can you provide the compose file?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • Another +1 for Seafile. It just works better in every way than NC for my case in Debian. Better encryption (real client side encryption) and delta sync were enough reasons for me to switch. I had installed manually, yet works quite nicely. It was easy to install and configure.

Thanked by 2RedSox the_doctor
  • can you please stop discussing software etc here?

Thanked by 2Shot2 Chronic
  • @Daniel15 @Galeej @d0m1234 @vimalware @arda

How good is Seafile when the use case includes synching/backing up Android devices in addition to Windows computers? The reviews I have seen for the Android app suggest that it's quite poor.

• @user123 said:
    @Daniel15 @Galeej @d0m1234 @vimalware @arda

How good is Seafile when the use case includes synching/backing up Android devices in addition to Windows computers? The reviews I have seen for the Android app suggest that it's quite poor.

I've never tried Seafile from Android, sorry.

We should probably move all this Seafile discussion into a separate thread :)

Thanked by 1user123
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2020

@insight said:

@TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@skorous said:

So when you've thoroughly been told you're in the wrong, your argument is that I'm a meany? Jesus Christ, take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop blaming others. You should have just apologized and said you'd know for next time, but no, you need to justify your actions because of your ego.

That wasn't an insult, I was telling him it was a good idea. The swear was for emphasis. Try harder next time to quickly search up a post history that is irrelevant to this topic (I was helping the person in that post, you dumb fuck). Class act.

• @hosthatch Could you please inform us of the progress in STO?I heard some storage deals in other location is active now.

• @hspmanbu said:
    @hosthatch Could you please inform us of the progress in STO?I heard some storage deals in other location is active now.

Within 7 business days = be patient
    More than 7 business days = expect server to have been deployed

• @hspmanbu said:
    @hosthatch Could you please inform us of the progress in STO?I heard some storage deals in other location is active now.

One of my STO servers was provisioned, so there is some progress in that location as well. Don't worry much.

• patience noun pa·​tience | \ ˈpā-shən(t)s
    1. the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, without complaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.
    2. an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay.
    3. when a time frame has already been provided, not asking for an update in the hope that the answer will be sooner than what was already stated.
    4. not asking a provider for a status update before the stated delivery time has elapsed.

Thanked by 2zxxx skorous
  • @brueggus said:

@insight said:

@TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@skorous said:

Thanks for sharing these valuable insights!

No worries. Just another keyboard warrior with limited vocabulary.

• @TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@TimboJones said:

@insight said:

@skorous said:

So when you've thoroughly been told you're in the wrong, your argument is that I'm a meany? Jesus Christ, take some personal responsibility for your actions and stop blaming others. You should have just apologized and said you'd know for next time, but no, you need to justify your actions because of your ego.

That wasn't an insult, I was telling him it was a good idea. The swear was for emphasis. Try harder next time to quickly search up a post history that is irrelevant to this topic (I was helping the person in that post, you dumb fuck). Class act.

Seek some help, you behave like a keyboard warrior with limited vocabulary, then out of nowhere, with no facts... mention "personal responsibility", "blaming others", "apologized", "justify your actions".... about a VPS upgrade...

Seriously seek some help to deal with your frustrations, you are in no condition to help anyone...

• @insight said: Seriously seek some help to deal with your frustrations, you are in no condition to help anyone...

I could be wrong but I'm reasonably sure he's not interested in helping you. He just wanted you to know he thinks you're a self-important prick. It might be worth your consideration that just because he's vulgar doesn't mean he's incorrect in that opinion.

• insightinsight Member
    edited December 2020

@skorous said:

@insight said: Seriously seek some help to deal with your frustrations, you are in no condition to help anyone...

I could be wrong but I'm reasonably sure he's not interested in helping you. He just wanted you to know he thinks you're a self-important prick. It might be worth your consideration that just because he's vulgar doesn't mean he's incorrect in that opinion.

"I was helping the person in that post"

read definition: to look at words or symbols and understand what they mean.

Before writing something please think and read, get the context. This is the minimum.

Edit: just to add an opinion is not correct or incorrect, is just that an opinion.. the value you give it is subjective and normally no one cares.

• @Ouji said:

@Galeej said:

@Daniel15 said:

I moved from NC to Seafile for this very reason. It just works if you know how to configure. I use the docker version and it's easy to move across VMs. Just tar the directory and run docker-compose up -d

Can you provide the compose file?

Thanks.

https://hastebin.com/savubipuqu.yaml

Thanked by 1Ouji
  • What is the planned usage of these servers?
    i have received contact from support hosthacth? WTH?
    they don't see the invoice :neutral: