Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Online chitchat - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Online chitchat

Comments

• OseriOseri Member

Hello @Hetzner_OL, I've a concern going thru my mind:

I couple months ago I got a server at your auctions. I'm happy with it, but looking at current auctions found some with exact same specs for €6.72 less than my current one, which will mean a respectable yearly saving of €80.64 so I'm thinking about canceling my current one and getting the cheaper, but I've some doubts:

1. When requesting a cancellation, will it take effect immediately or at the end of the invoicing period? My current server invoices on 26th, and according to the robot the earliest cancellation date will be July 8.
    2. If immediate, will I be invoiced for the full last period or it'll be prorated?
    3. Doing this, will put any red flag on my account? I don't want to be abusive, I'm just a cheapskate trying to lower my costs.

Thanks.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi guys, we have some great tutorials from our community site for you.

Ever wanted to know how to install a Windows operating system on dedicated hardware without using a KVM console? With this tutorial, you will learn how to do it in only 6 steps.
    The only requirements are a Dedicated Root Server in the Rescue System and more than 8 GB RAM in the server. Then you are ready to go.

https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/install-windows

The second tutorial is about understanding and using the functions of iptables.
    In addition, practical examples are used to illustrate different ways of using iptables in an optimal way.

https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/iptables

• @AC_Fan said:

@hypothesis said:
    Let's talk about why you reject new customers for unfounded reasons.

It's rarely unfounded reasons. They are the only cheap, well-known host (besides OVH, which is a whole other discussion), and they have to work with a ton of abusers. They even accept a 20 euro deposit for verification now.
    If you're from a developing country (like me), it's better to go in with the expectation that you'll be rejected (because developing countries tend to have a higher percentage of abusers).

Nonsense. They reject customers for absolutely no given reason. Like me. I have been a loyal customer for years and suddenly I am an abuser. Provided my bills, my own credicard, bank statement, my own picture, but no way, I am the abuser.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@hypothesis said:

@AC_Fan said:

@hypothesis said:

It's rarely unfounded reasons. They are the only cheap, well-known host (besides OVH, which is a whole other discussion), and they have to work with a ton of abusers. They even accept a 20 euro deposit for verification now.
    If you're from a developing country (like me), it's better to go in with the expectation that you'll be rejected (because developing countries tend to have a higher percentage of abusers).

Nonsense. They reject customers for absolutely no given reason. Like me. I have been a loyal customer for years and suddenly I am an abuser. Provided my bills, my own credicard, bank statement, my own picture, but no way, I am the abuser.

K.

• boerndboernd Member

@hypothesis said:

@AC_Fan said:

@hypothesis said:

Maybe they didn't like your face

@boernd There are dozens and dozens of variables for what might make a order look suspicious. But I'm pretty sure that my colleagues don't base their decisions on whether they like the customer's face. ;)

@AC_Fan I am not saying that you are distrustful. I am not saying that you are a
    scammer. When you make an order with us, we put your information through a
    software program that looks for suspicious orders/fake orders. There are lots of different things that will trigger the software to think the order is fake, for example, if your ID's photo is blurry.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Hetzner_OL said:
    @boernd There are dozens and dozens of variables for what might make a order look suspicious. But I'm pretty sure that my colleagues don't base their decisions on whether they like the customer's face. ;)

@AC_Fan I am not saying that you are distrustful. I am not saying that you are a
    scammer. When you make an order with us, we put your information through a
    software program that looks for suspicious orders/fake orders. There are lots of different things that will trigger the software to think the order is fake, for example, if your ID's photo is blurry.

Definitely didn't mean anything negative from my side, was just stating that chances of rejection are higher from developing countries, for entirely valid reasons!
    Have a good day.

edited July 2020

@oseri - Sorry for the delayed response.
    1. and 2. It depends a bit on your billing period and when you try to cancel it. Here is a link to some information on our cancellation process for dedicated root servers (which includes servers from the Auction).
    You can write a support request to our accounting team to get more details about the billing period for your server and exactly when/how many invoices you'll have left. Helena and I don't have access to our accounting team's systems for security reasons, so it's best to write to them directly.
    3. If this is the first time that you're canceling a server after a short time, I don't think it will be an issue. When you cancel a product, there is usually a short text field where you can enter a comment. You could write what you wrote here about saving €80.64. If, in the future, it looks like you are making a habit of cancelling products after a short time, then you might get a red flag.

account rejects - Unfortunately there are some countries that have developed a bad reputation, and we can't really do much to change that. It would be irresponsible of us to completely ignore the risks that customers in some countries present, however unfair it might be to legitimate customers. However, the country is not the sole factor that determines whether our team rejects an account. It's usually several factors that add up. @AC_Fan - We really appreciate your stance/understanding about this. We do try to be as fair as we can.

@Adam1 - That would likely raise a big red flag on your account. That's the kind of thing that you can sometimes clear up with our team by writing an email to our sales technicians at [email protected]. If you write them an explanation, and it seems plausible to our team, and your account looks okay otherwise, they might approve it.

@hypothesis - Unfortunately, I don't know the details of your specific case. There's a number of reasons that this might have happened. If you'd like us to check with our team, let us know.
    --Katie

Thanked by 2Adam1 Oseri
  • serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited July 2020

I got a question for you. Not that it directly involves me right now but looking at the auction page and...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Does Hetzner have any timeframe when you just say "Eh, time to discontinue this product" and if so what happens if someone is actually using that server at that time? Do you uphold it, migrate the client to something newer or any other option? Personally I see its not viable to offer hardware replacements for something like that especially at 25 euros a month, thats what sparked my question in the first place.

Just out of pure curiosity.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Hi @serv_ee - I think we decide which servers are in the Auction based on a case-by-case basis for each server model, and based on what's available hardware-wise, the costs, and the customer demand. To the best of my knowledge, after a customer has purchased a dedicated root server from us, we try to keep it running as long as the server is still working and the customer still wants it. I think we may have a handful of servers still in operation dating back to the early 2000s. (I heard this in a conversation at lunch once, so I am not sure how reliable that information is.) I believe there may have been a few times in our company history where we have encouraged customers with older server models to migrate to new models, for example, by offering them credit on their account or pointing out that they could save money by switching to a newer model. --Katie

edited July 2020

Time for another tutorial! This one helps 1) install ufw to manage your firewall 2) use ufw to block communications to private networks

--Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi @serv_ee - I think we decide which servers are in the Auction based on a case-by-case basis for each server model, and based on what's available hardware-wise, the costs, and the customer demand. To the best of my knowledge, after a customer has purchased a dedicated root server from us, we try to keep it running as long as the server is still working and the customer still wants it. I think we may have a handful of servers still in operation dating back to the early 2000s. (I heard this in a conversation at lunch once, so I am not sure how reliable that information is.) I believe there may have been a few times in our company history where we have encouraged customers with older server models to migrate to new models, for example, by offering them credit on their account or pointing out that they could save money by switching to a newer model. --Katie

Oh nice. Thank you for your answer. May I ask what happens to servers that you discontinue in the end? Just scrap them or use as many spare parts from them as you can? :)

• arw55arw55 Member

@Hetzner_OL Are you planning to launch object storage in the near future?

Thanked by 1uzaysan
  • javax1javax1 Member

@hypothesis you wrote that you had been a loyal customer for years? Do you mean that Hetzner asked you to provide new documents even though you were already their customer? If so, did you have a long break in using their services maybe?

@serv_ee - Our team tries to make use of what we can. We might donate some parts as well if someone wants them. We recycle the materials we can and scrap the rest.

@arw55 - This is one of the more frequent requests that I have seen for Hetzner Cloud. But we don't publish roadmaps for possible and/or upcoming features I'm afraid. If/when this feature becomes available, we will make a big annoucement on our social media channels and here as well. I'll ask the dev team to add a +1 for you for it on the wishlist. :)
    --Katie

Thanked by 3arw55 saibal LightBlade

Hey guys, good news...

From Finland to Falkenstein with love ;) --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hey guys, good news...

From Finland to Falkenstein with love ;) --Katie

OMG OMG!

Very nice addition! looks like I maybe doing some changes soon :)

edited July 2020

You all have asked for special deals for loyal Hetzner Cloud customers, and we've created our new Referral Program. You already recommend Hetzner Cloud to people, but now you can earn credits for doing it. By signing up for the program, you'll get a personal referral link. When you recommend us using this link, and a new customer uses it to start a Hetzner Cloud account, you'll both earn Hetzner Cloud credits. The new customer will get € 20. And once they spend at least € 10 (not including the credits), you'll get € 10 in credits. Check it out at console.hetzner.cloud/referrals!

All amounts excl. VAT

• Hetzner Load balancer is out of beta today
    For the occasion I have benchmarked the 3 LB in terms of requests per second.

LB1: 14k rps
    LB2: 25k rps
    LB3: 60k rps

• @Hetzner_OL any plans to improve the DDoS protection?
    cause even simple http flood that server under attack is down..

• hzrhzr Member

@Advicerxyz said: cause even simple http flood that server under attack is down..

This sounds like a you problem?

Thanked by 1LordSpock

@Advicerxyz - I am not a technician, so I am sorry if I make any mistakes in what I am about to type here. From what I understand, some types of smaller attacks can be prevented by being careful with how you configure and setup your server, such as how you set up your firewall. Our networking team assumes that customers who use our unmanaged products take general measures to protect their servers from these kinds of attacks. The anti-DDoS system that our networking team maintains is meant to handle bigger attacks. Perhaps by asking here on LET or in our own customer Diskussionforum (https://forum.hetzner.com/) someone can give you tips for how to prevent smaller http flood attacks. Our dedicated root servers are completely unmanaged, which is one of the reasons that the prices fo them are so low. --Katie

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • fLoofLoo Member

@Hetzner_OL : I've seen that Hetzner Afrika (a.k.a. xneelo) will expand to the us. As the CEO of xneelo is the same as the one in Germany, will there be a new company or will it be part of hetzner.de/com or xneelo?

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • @Hetzner_OL

Please check message. I am stuck at the registration process after uploading the documents. Thank you.

@fLoo - Martin Hetzner helped to found xneelo (back when it was called Hetzner Finland). To the best of my knowledge, he is not part of the executive team there anymore.
    I haven't personally heard any news about xneelo opening a location in the USA, though I believe they have a support office in Vancouver.
    Hetzner Online GmbH and xneelo are completely separate companies. They have been for awhile. A member of the Hetzner family is connected with the xneelo company, which is why Martin Hetzner was part of the founding team. --Katie

Thanked by 1hanoi

@swat4 - Hi there - I've sent you a private message. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL
    i rent server 4x 960 GB NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition. and they give me 3 DISK NVMe Enterprise + 1 Datacenter Edition.
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/enterprise-ssd/MZQLW960HMJP/
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/datacenter-ssd/MZQLB960HAJR/

Also someone can help me to install CentOS 7 via IPMI. It always show this error.

• @jazz1611 said:
    @Hetzner_OL
    i rent server 4x 960 GB NVMe SSD Datacenter Edition. and they give me 3 DISK NVMe Enterprise + 1 Datacenter Edition.
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/enterprise-ssd/MZQLW960HMJP/
    https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/ssd/datacenter-ssd/MZQLB960HAJR/

Also someone can help me to install CentOS 7 via IPMI. It always show this error.

Send a ticket. Shouldn't be too hard.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @Hetzner_OL

I sent you a message for assistance , please reply soon .
    thanks.