Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 38
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @forces said:
    My ARM instance outgoing bandwidths reduce to 50mbps..i guess they started ninja nerf.. Incoming still getting more than 200mbps..

Was running YABS the other day on my Oracle ARM instance, I'm getting 1 gbps no problems...

• @yavernoxia said: I see VM.Standard.E4.Flex and VM.Standard.E3.Flex on AMD, and nothing on Ampere.

That's mean Ampere & free AMD shape is not available on your region yet. What you can do is just wait.

• Anyone thought of/ tried to put Windows ARM on one of the AMPERE Servers? I know it'll be against TOS and licensing but was just curious if at all it is possible

Win10/Win11 ARM is available as VHDx Image fro insider preview

• @mehargags said:
    Anyone thought of/ tried to put Windows ARM on one of the AMPERE Servers? I know it'll be against TOS and licensing but was just curious if at all it is possible

I already tried this a few different ways, it doesn't boot. For whatever reason the VM just hangs on a black screen after you select to boot the uefi entry for Windows.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @Erisa said:

@mehargags said:
    Anyone thought of/ tried to put Windows ARM on one of the AMPERE Servers? I know it'll be against TOS and licensing but was just curious if at all it is possible

I already tried this a few different ways, it doesn't boot. For whatever reason the VM just hangs on a black screen after you select to boot the uefi entry for Windows.

I see... I guess then it won't boot with AWS Graviton2 EC2 either, they only have Windows on x86. I believe this is by design to force licensing or something. Someone soon will hack this hard coded limit from the VHDs or ISOs when they are released

• @mehargags said:

@Erisa said:

@mehargags said:

I see... I guess then it won't boot with AWS Graviton2 EC2 either, they only have Windows on x86. I believe this is by design to force licensing or something. Someone soon will hack this hard coded limit from the VHDs or ISOs when they are released

It might not be a licensing issue but it may be because it just simply don't have the code to support these processors right now. It appears that unlike x86 processors, ARM-based processors must have explicit hardware support in the OS for it to work judging by how it has been working in the Linux world.

There's a chance that Microsoft hasn't yet enabled code to specifically support these processors and might not ever include them in client versions of Windows considering AWS Graviton2 & Ampere Altra processors are datacentre processors. If they were going to include hardware support, it'll likely only land in the kernel for Windows Server.

Thanked by 2Erisa dragon1993
  • @deltatux quite likely... anyways Microsoft is deaf and dumb just like it always has been and is absolutely NOT understanding the potential of ARM64 which is eventually going to sweep this industry within this decade. They will only come up when 60% of their business is eaten by other companies, but then who cares when you have staches of money

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited February 2022

Windows Server for ARM64 was confirmed to exist internally and is used in parts of Azures infrastucture. But it isn't generally available to the public unfortunately, despite this being announced 5 years ago.

These internal uses of ARM64 do run on Ampere and I feel like Oracle's specific brand of KVM virtualisation is most likely the unexpected part. Either that or parts for Ampere not shipping in consumer Windows, which is possible too.

Regarding Windows 10 and 11 for ARM64, I had tried dding a generated ISO to the disk and I had also tried dding the official VHDX image to the disk as well, neither of them work. I looked into the debug logging that Windows has, yet enabling all of them does not yield any other output. It's as if the CPU itself halts when presented with the Windows bootloader. Truly a perplexing situation, but not one that's entirely surprising given the ACPI/device tree nightmare involved in supporting ARM64 hardware currently.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@mehargags said: deaf and dumb

...is the person who wants to use Windows instead of a proper operating system on a VPS.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • @rm_ said:

...is the person who wants to use Windows instead of a proper operating system on a VPS.

tell that to the 100K enterprises running .Net / Microsoft solutions. Better to keep your nose out if there is nothing constructive to contribute.

• Is there anyone else here who tried the below on Oracle always free VMs(not Ampere Instances) and got their account banned ?

Windows Lite Templates Support(Bios/Uefi boot) KVM/XEN/Hyper-V Virtualization

• @mehargags said:

@rm_ said:

tell that to the 100K enterprises running .Net / Microsoft solutions. Better to keep your nose out if there is nothing constructive to contribute.

.NET 5 support Linux.

• @dragon1993 said:

.NET 5 support Linux.

Python supports Linux but that doesn't mean every Python script works with Linux.

• They wont accept my registration twice sigh

• @dragon1993 said:

@mehargags said:

@rm_ said:

.NET 5 support Linux.

.NET 6 also. ;)

• @rm_ said:

... is the person who thinks Linux is the one and only solution for every thing, every time.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • cadddrcadddr Member
    edited February 2022

@mehargags said: quite likely... anyways Microsoft is deaf and dumb just like it always has been and is absolutely NOT understanding the potential of ARM64 which is eventually going to sweep this industry within this decade

They sell their own machine(partnered with qualcomm) with arm64 which didn't do as well as they thought, pretty sure they know a thing or two about arm64.

There are very few arm datacenter scale cpus, so they don't need to invest too much resource into supporting it and particularly when it's one of their competitor. It has to come from oracle pushing it and it won't be cheap, whenever it becomes available.

• Has anyone practically used this A1 flex so many talk about?

Let me tell you result from my experience.

A1 Flex setup (4 core, 24 GB) :
    Aapanel - Nginx, MariaDB, Php8, Postfix

Aws t2.micro setup (1 core, 1 GB) :
    Cyberpanel - OLS (Cache Disabled), MariaDB, Php8, Postfix

Installed plain vanila wordpress on both of them. No plugins, no customization.

Ran a stress test 1000 Get requests under 1 min.

Aws t2.micro ran complete test, with max CPU usage going 75%.

A1 Flex?
    Oh well after 200 requests, all went into 5xx errors and test aborted.
    CPU spiked to 100% usage and that caused the bottleneck.

YABS benchmark? A1 has better or atleast at par with AWS counterpart.

This could be because of variety of reason, including how optimised kernel instructions are for nginx and other softwares.

In normal usecase, Nginx performs almost equivalent OLS.

So, the result is, you can't use A1 Flex for anything I can think of lol.

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • gianggiang Veteran
    edited February 2022

@srch07 said:
    Has anyone practically used this A1 flex so many talk about?

A1 Flex?

This could be because of variety of reason, including how optimised kernel instructions are for nginx and other softwares.

I got some worpdress websites running on A1 Flex. No problem at all.

What test you used? I will try to test with my website.

But I think you should check your config first.

I tried loader.io, maintain 10000 - 10000 client for 1 min. The VPS is running fine with it. It's A1 Flex Japan.

• @srch07 said: Installed plain vanila wordpress on both of them. No plugins, no customization.

Try using vanilla environment too. Like install nginx, php & mysql only without any control panel. In my experience, 4 core, 24GB ram ARM instance quite powerful. I run a bunch of dockerized application on it & the average CPU usage is very low.

• @giang said:

@srch07 said:

A1 Flex?

I tried loader.io, maintain 10000 - 10000 client for 1 min. The VPS is running fine with it. It's A1 Flex Japan.

Exact same test I ran.
    Region was Frankfurt.

Now I am curious what installation you are running them with.
    Panel etc.

I ran both of them without any tuning. I just gave up on A1 flex after running test twice.
    My results were just horrible lol.

@Hakim said:

@srch07 said: Installed plain vanila wordpress on both of them. No plugins, no customization.

Try using vanilla environment too. Like install nginx, php & mysql only without any control panel. In my experience, 4 core, 24GB ram ARM instance quite powerful. I run a bunch of dockerized application on it & the average CPU usage is very low.

That's what surprised me. YABS benchmark were great, but if it was not able to handle 200-300 requests on vanilla wordpress setup. No point.

• @srch07 said:

@giang said:

@srch07 said:

A1 Flex?

Exact same test I ran.
    Region was Frankfurt.

Panel etc.

I ran both of them without any tuning. I just gave up on A1 flex after running test twice.

@Hakim said:

@srch07 said: Installed plain vanila wordpress on both of them. No plugins, no customization.

That's what surprised me. YABS benchmark were great, but if it was not able to handle 200-300 requests on vanilla wordpress setup. No point.

I'm using aaPanel with Nginx + PHP 8 + MariaDB 10.5. All default config without any tune or modification.

If the YABS is fine, you should check your website config, nginx rewrite?...

• @giang said:

@srch07 said:

@giang said:

@srch07 said:

A1 Flex?

Exact same test I ran.
    Region was Frankfurt.

Panel etc.

@Hakim said:

I'm using aaPanel with Nginx + PHP 8 + MariaDB 10.5. All default config without any tune or modification.

I'll re-spin one to test.
    What baffled me further was, I upgraded to paid account to get port 25 open and then i got those results.

One more question, how long nginx, mariadb and all installation took on your vps from inside panel.

For me aapanel installation was pretty fast, but nginx/mariadb/php stack took almost 3 hours, it was compiling everything, even though I asked it not to.

• @giang
    do you mind giving HESTIACP a try?

I have not done any extensive tests yet but I ran a 3 Core / 12 GB RAM Ampere instance and have one wordpress site on it running absolutely fine

I will perform some tests and share

• @srch07 said:

@giang said:

@srch07 said:

@giang said:

@srch07 said:

A1 Flex?

Exact same test I ran.
    Region was Frankfurt.

Panel etc.

@Hakim said:

What baffled me further was, I upgraded to paid account to get port 25 open and then i got those results.

One more question, how long nginx, mariadb and all installation took on your vps from inside panel.

For me aapanel installation was pretty fast, but nginx/mariadb/php stack took almost 3 hours, it was compiling everything, even though I asked it not to.

Without any panels I can push thousands of requests per second on Ampere instance. Try to do it without panels, maybe aapanel has some bug for ARM.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • I have 187ms average on loader.io. Got Plesk panel on the VM and tested it on the default index page, I renamed it to index.php. Now with some badly optimized wordpress(lots of plug-ins), it went insane, 24 load average on CPU. xD

• @srch07 said:

Around 20 minutes for me. Japan region.

@mehargags said:
    @giang

I have not done any extensive tests yet but I ran a 3 Core / 12 GB RAM Ampere instance and have one wordpress site on it running absolutely fine

I can't, because there is no stock for A1 in Japan, re-install it then I will lose the one I'm using.

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited February 2022

@giang said:

@srch07 said:

Around 20 minutes for me. Japan region.

@mehargags said:
    @giang

I can't, because there is no stock for A1 in Japan, re-install it then I will lose the one I'm using.

Just spinned 2core, 12GB A1 Flex in London region.
    Aapanel installation took 7 min in shell.

Nginx is installing from past 25 min lol, it's compiling it's libraries, after failing to download from some cn domain links.

And everytime it compiles a dependent library, cpu is reaching 55% usage.

I have no idea, how you have it running fine.

It's since I enabled monitoring. All I did is nginx and at second bump php 8 install.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2022

@srch07 said: I upgraded to paid account to get port 25 open

I have port 25 open (both in + out) and did not upgrade to the paid account.

• @rm_ said:

@srch07 said: I upgraded to paid account to get port 25 open

I have port 25 open (both in + out) and did not upgrade to the paid account.

Because of this? https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/releasenotes/changes/f7e95770-9844-43db-916c-6ccbaf2cfe24/

Tenancies made after June 23, 2021 are by default not allowed to send e-mail via outbound TCP port 25 to the internet. Tenancies made prior to June 23, 2021 are unaffected. If you require the ability to send email from your tenancy, open a service limits request to request an exemption.

Thanked by 1rm_