Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 36
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@trycatchthis said:

And from what I've read it seems hard to get support in these cases.

I had an issue with facebook, someone was holding onto a facebook page that wasnt theirs. Facebook tries to make it impossible to find a phone number. Same with google and now youtube. 0 support is industry standard. [A few hold outs like audible have a live chat]

How often are they randomly terminating instances? And in that cant you just create a new one?

Google was early to the cloud game and most people still use AWS and Azure. Oracle is gonna be niche.

I use Oracle Cloud from April 2021. I had two problems - once random termination (I could recreate it with same storage so it wasnt a big deal) and one random crash/turn off and I couldnt turn it back on (also fixed by recreating instance with same boot volume).

Keep in mind that its free. And on VPS you can earn money (mining, spamming etc.) so there's a lot of people that try to abuse it, make 20 multiaccounts (that's why most cards from China/chinese users dont work. Couple of chinese jerks abuse free service and whole China has problem.), that's why Oracle is cautious about registering, CC verification and then terminating if there's some usage pattern that they find malicious.

Its good for testing / secondary server. Not for primary production server - you can use it that way, but if site generates any money then just invest it in some VPS/hosting.

I've never had problems with x86 instances tho, these two problems I mentioned happened on ARM instances.

I use x86 for production (small blog) and some CI/CD work. Zero downtime. But I would never use them for anything that makes me money. Blog is just a blog, zero ads, some random thoughts, I have "backup" on git.

Thanked by 1zhuyijun
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@iNanja said: and free for the rest of my life.

I would not be so sure, unless you do not plan living for long.

• I run vault(with oci storage) + keycloak(with 389ds) on their arm server, works solid for auth/secret store server for other services.

• @cadddr said:
    I run vault(with oci storage) + keycloak(with 389ds) on their arm server, works solid for auth/secret store server for other services.

Shape: VM.Standard.A1.Flex
    OCPU count: 4
    Network bandwidth (Gbps): 4
    Memory (GB): 24
    Public IPv4: 1

You're telling me this is free for life?

• @trycatchthis said: You're telling me this is free for life?

Nobody said that. It's been free for a while and might last a little longer.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • They are many things that the big tech companies and startups have offered for free for a time and then the early adopters became grandfathered in. Even if they change their free plans, would early adopters be grandfathered in?

• @trycatchthis said:
    They are many things that the big tech companies and startups have offered for free for a time and then the early adopters became grandfathered in. Even if they change their free plans, would early adopters be grandfathered in?

... what kind of response do you expect?
    There's no Larry Ellison here. Nobody knows what Oracle plans are.

Thanked by 2tototo mehargags
  • I currently use Oracle for building occasionally packages for an opensource project and so far no issues.

Won't host something important on it imo and only use it for "personal" projects

• @rm_ said:

People here are making it sound like the 24gb memory and 4 arm cores won't be free for long. Do you think I should I cancel my service, I thought always free meant forever? I don't want to be suddenly charged without any notification.

• @iNanja said:

@rm_ said:

People here are making it sound like the 24gb memory and 4 arm cores won't be free for long. Do you think I should I cancel my service, I thought always free meant forever? I don't want to be suddenly charged without any notification.

Always free means you will not get charged, would have been always alive if it meant something else. ;)

edited January 2022

@iNanja said: People here are making it sound like the 24gb memory and 4 arm cores won't be free for long. Do you think I should I cancel my service, I thought always free meant forever? I don't want to be suddenly charged without any notification.

You do not need to cancel your service. If they decide to discontinue it, I would expect them to give a warning long in advance, and then stop/delete instances at some point, not start charging for them. Or give some form of a choice of what you want to keep for a fee. Anyway, just ensure you have a working and monitored E-Mail specified in your user details (at least not to miss any such warning if it comes, and back up all your data).

• Maybe they won't cancel it but resources will just become harder and harder to get (to the point of Kimsufi KS1 for example) with new inactivity rules & enforcement becoming tougher to ensure some circulation.

• @iNanja said:

@rm_ said:

You wont be charged for something that you didn't agree on.
    Most likely they give these instances because they get these CPUs for free/near free (Ampere wants to promote their ARM processors and they were on many Oracle talks). Developers need to explore Oracle & ARM possibilities, Oracle & Ampere have strategic cooperation.

• I have trial expired and want to upgrade. Oracle wrote "To complete this upgrade, you might see a temporary charge on your credit card for verification. This charge will be removed automatically." And charge is 85.32 euro :disappointed:
    "Estimated costs" is zero and I have no any resources over free limits.
    Сan any of upgraded users clarify why so much temporary charge amount?

• @raynor said:
    I have trial expired and want to upgrade. Oracle wrote "To complete this upgrade, you might see a temporary charge on your credit card for verification. This charge will be removed automatically." And charge is 85.32 euro :disappointed:
    Сan any of upgraded users clarify why so much temporary charge amount?

The temporary charge is random between 1$ and 100$ (as I remember). I was charged about 25 Singapore Dollars (but was refunded instantly)

Thanked by 1raynor
    edited January 2022

@raynor said: I have trial expired and want to upgrade. Oracle wrote "To complete this upgrade, you might see a temporary charge on your credit card for verification. This charge will be removed automatically." And charge is 85.32 euro

If you do not use anything over free limits, why do you want to upgrade?

It is not needed to upgrade to use the free resources after the trial expires.

• I mean free, but not "Always Free" only. I have 2 ARMs within free limits (4/24) too.

• @raynor said:
    I mean free, but not "Always Free" only. I have 2 ARMs within free limits (4/24) too.

Can you make instances in two datacenters/regions if you upgraded? Because in Free Tier you cant switch and I would love to have EU + NA ARM instances...

• @raynor said:
    I mean free, but not "Always Free" only. I have 2 ARMs within free limits (4/24) too.

Im sure this has been mentioned somewhere but just to clarify ...

1. You get 2 x86 instances and
    2. at least one arm instance (4OCPU and 24GB RAM) which is a total of 3 VMs, always free?
    3. And it might be possible to split the arm instances into 4 which would still fit in the always free allocation?
    4. And you get a free public ip for each instance?

At least on the public IP side I think this may be unsustainable. In the future they will probably start rationing those.

edited January 2022

@raynor said: I mean free, but not "Always Free" only. I have 2 ARMs within free limits (4/24) too.

It is still puzzling what you mean. You don't have to upgrade to keep using the ARM instances either. Unless you plan to actually pay Oracle for a service, it sounds like a huge mistake to give them a credit card and authorize payments. And if you do - I wonder which service did you find attractive and what will it cost?

Thanked by 1raynor
  • @AXYZE said:
    If you upgrade to pay-as-you-go then you gain support and free services will remain free.

@rm_ said:
    Unless you plan to actually pay Oracle for a service, it sounds like a huge mistake to give them a credit card and authorize payments.

Now I'm confused -- is it worth the while to upgrade to the pay-as-you-go tier if I plan to use only the free services?

• @wpyoga said: Now I'm confused -- is it worth the while to upgrade to the pay-as-you-go tier if I plan to use only the free services?

It might actually be, especialy when oracle decide to shutdown the free program and decide that only those whom've upgraded might keep the free instances

• @trycatchthis said:

@raynor said:

Im sure this has been mentioned somewhere but just to clarify ...

1. You get 2 x86 instances and
    2. at least one arm instance (4OCPU and 24GB RAM) which is a total of 3 VMs, always free?
    3. And it might be possible to split the arm instances into 4 which would still fit in the always free allocation?
    4. And you get a free public ip for each instance?

At least on the public IP side I think this may be unsustainable. In the future they will probably start rationing those.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm
    Answer to all your questions.

• Well if this stay "free forever" thats interesting

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-12-28                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Tue Jan 11 16:16:12 GMT 2022

ARM compatibility is considered *experimental*

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : 
    CPU cores  : 4 @ ??? MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 22.7 GiB
    Swap       : 8.0 GiB
    Disk       : 38.5 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 6.36 MB/s     (1.5k) | 26.84 MB/s     (419)
    Write      | 6.37 MB/s     (1.5k) | 27.64 MB/s     (431)
    Total      | 12.73 MB/s    (3.1k) | 54.48 MB/s     (850)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 24.15 MB/s      (47) | 23.83 MB/s      (23)
    Write      | 26.22 MB/s      (51) | 26.59 MB/s      (25)
    Total      | 50.38 MB/s      (98) | 50.42 MB/s      (48)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed     
                    |                           |                 |                
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 1.01 Gbits/sec 
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 1.02 Gbits/sec 
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 1.01 Gbits/sec  | 1.00 Gbits/sec 
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (400M)          | 94.1 Mbits/sec  | 84.9 Mbits/sec 
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 853 Mbits/sec   | 964 Mbits/sec  
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 22.8 Mbits/sec  | 344 Mbits/sec  
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 627 Mbits/sec   | 655 Mbits/sec  
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 195 Mbits/sec   | 734 Mbits/sec  

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 862                           
    Multi Core      | 3328                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/12113903

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@wuck said:
    Well if this stay "free forever" thats interesting

And the funny thing is that you can still make it a lot better.
    1. IO speeds are tied to disk size. 100G disk is 2x faster than 50G disk.
    2. You can enable UHP/ultra high performance speed in boot volume details.

Here's YABS/fio disk result on 150G + UHP.

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 48.70 MB/s   (12.1k) | 73.58 MB/s    (1.1k)
    Write      | 48.67 MB/s   (12.1k) | 75.76 MB/s    (1.1k)
    Total      | 97.38 MB/s   (24.3k) | 149.34 MB/s   (2.3k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 67.89 MB/s     (132) | 69.27 MB/s      (67)
    Write      | 73.70 MB/s     (143) | 77.29 MB/s      (75)
    Total      | 141.60 MB/s    (275) | 146.57 MB/s    (142)

edited January 2022

@wpyoga said: Now I'm confused -- is it worth the while to upgrade to the pay-as-you-go tier if I plan to use only the free services?

What is there to be confused about? Name one reason to upgrade to paid account, if you don't plan paying. There is none. Only sets you up for a great risk of getting charged due to some billing/metering mistake of theirs.

• @rm_ said:
    It is still puzzling what you mean. You don't have to upgrade to keep using the ARM instances either.

https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier.htm
    "After your trial ends, your account remains active. There is no interruption to the availability of the Always Free Resources you have provisioned. You can terminate and reprovision Always Free resources as needed."

ARMs are not labeled "Always Free" in the control panel and Oracle docs is not very clear about it:
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier_topic-Always_Free_Resources.htm#compute

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited January 2022

You're right. Up to 6 Public IPv4 and many combinations of instances for example 2 x86 and 2 arm instances.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they begin to limit the free tier in some way. My guess would be to grandfather in the old free tier users and severely limit the new free tier to a year like all the other providers.

• wuckwuck Member
    edited January 2022

@trycatchthis said:

You're right. Up to 6 Public IPv4 and many combinations of instances for example 2 x86 and 4 arm instances.

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years they begin to limit the free tier in some way. My guess would be to grandfather in the old free tier users and severely limit the new free tier to a year like all the other providers.

So you can create 4 ARM VM which will combine a maximum of 4OCPU and 24GB thats it?

• trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
    edited January 2022

@wuck said:
    So you can create 4 ARM VM which will combine a maximum of 4OCPU and 24GB thats it?

Number of Compute Instances Available to Your Account

Depending on the size of the boot volume and the number of OCPUs that you allocate to each Ampere A1 Compute instance, you can create up to four compute instances. The minimum boot volume size for each instance is 47 GB, regardless of shape. Your account comes with 200 GB of Always Free block volume storage which you use to create the boot volumes for your compute instances.

For example, using the default boot volume size of 47 GB, you could provision two > instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape, and two Ampere A1 Compute instances that each have 2 OCPUs. Or, you could provision four Ampere A1 Compute instances with 1 OCPU each, and zero instances using the VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro shape. Many combinations are possible, depending on how you allocate your block storage and Ampere A1 Compute OCPUs. See Details of the Always Free compute instances for more information on allocating OCPU and memory resources when creating Ampere A1 Compute instances.

I think its 4 instances 2 arm and 2 x86 or some other combination that utilizes 4 ocpus.

Thanked by 1wuck