Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 35
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• You forgot about the 24 GB arm vps with 4 cores :disappointed:

• @tux said:
    Are somebody tried sign-up from Finland? They website said that "We're unable to complete your sign up. Common sign up errors are due to: (a) Using prepaid cards. Oracle only accepts credit card and debit cards (b) Intentionally or unintentionally masking one's location or identity (c) Entering incomplete or inaccurate account details."

I had this issue with Chromium (factory settings, zero customizations).
    I saw a random comment accidentally somewhere mentioning this error and tried with Firefox (which happens to have adblock and a lot of hardening). Worked on the 1st attempt without any issues.
    Give Firefox a go if you tried with Chrome.

• phyesixphyesix Member
    edited December 2021

Is there any minimum waiting time?

Still waiting

• @phyesix said:

Still waiting

Mine took me around 30 hours, although it said 15 mins, so yeah gotta wait

• @phyesix said:

Still waiting

I couldn't pass this progress and I had to register again.

• It look like Italy region don't have ampere instance.
    Anyone using it at Sweeden?

Thanked by 1tux
  • @chickenkothu said:

@phyesix said:

Still waiting

Did they call you reach out as said in the email?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@tmepy said:
    You forgot about the 24 GB arm vps with 4 cores :disappointed:

Personally never tried ARM need to run a few tests

• tuxtux Member

My account is now active. Where can I create an instance?

• pbxpbx Member

@WebProject said: Personally never tried ARM need to run a few tests

I've been surprised by it: pretty powerful cores!

Thanked by 2WebProject equalz
  • From 6 december 2021 still no confirmation :(

• If you have more Ampere A1 Compute instances provisioned than are available for an Always Free tenancy, all existing Ampere A1 Compute instances are disabled and then deleted after 30 days, unless you upgrade to a paid account. To continue using your existing Arm-based instances as an Always Free user, before your trial ends, ensure that you have no more than 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory in total across all the Ampere A1 Compute instances in your tenancy.

They no longer disable ARM instances after free trial.

Thanked by 3Erisa xaoc raynor
  • @Hakim said:

If you have more Ampere A1 Compute instances provisioned than are available for an Always Free tenancy, all existing Ampere A1 Compute instances are disabled and then deleted after 30 days, unless you upgrade to a paid account. To continue using your existing Arm-based instances as an Always Free user, before your trial ends, ensure that you have no more than 4 OCPUs and 24 GB of memory in total across all the Ampere A1 Compute instances in your tenancy.

They no longer disable ARM instances after free trial.

Nice. <3

• My trial hasn't ended yet 😬

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • How often do they restock ARM instance on Tokyo ?

• @chickenkothu said:

@phyesix said:

Still waiting

Mine was instant, and created the Ampere A1 instance as well. Now gotta find some use for it other than running YABS

• tuxtux Member

@tux said:
    My account is now active. Where can I create an instance?

They created a bug ticket, because the account has stuck some way on provision.

• @jmaxwell said:

@chickenkothu said:

@phyesix said:

Still waiting

Mine was instant, and created the Ampere A1 instance as well. Now gotta find some use for it other than running YABS

You could install debian on it and run some amd64 stuff. xD

Thanked by 1Void
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@xaoc said: You could install debian on it and run some amd64 stuff. xD

I am not sure what was the joke here, but even if you install Debian on the Ampere A1 ARM instance, it won't run amd64 stuff, only aarch64 (or more simply ARM64) software.

Which is fine, since everything you would normally install in Debian (Apache, nginx, *SQL, etc etc) is available on the ARM64 version as well.

• @rm_ said:

@xaoc said: You could install debian on it and run some amd64 stuff. xD

I am not sure what was the joke here, but even if you install Debian on the Ampere A1 ARM instance, it won't run amd64 stuff, only aarch64 (or more simply ARM64) software.

Which is fine, since everything you would normally install in Debian (Apache, nginx, *SQL, etc etc) is available on the ARM64 version as well.

No joke, mine runs amd64 stuff just fine, can also install amd64 stuff via apt. It's a bit heavy on the CPU but there's 4 of them so not really an issue for me.

Reference: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/577953/is-it-possible-to-run-x86-executable-on-arm

Thanked by 2niknar1900 rm_
  • tuxtux Member
    edited January 2022

@Outdoor said:
    Anyone using it at Sweeden?

Sweden is a brand new location, so free stuff is not available here yet.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@xaoc said: No joke, mine runs amd64 stuff just fine, can also install amd64 stuff via apt. It's a bit heavy on the CPU but there's 4 of them so not really an issue for me.

Wow, didn't know they had QEMU integrated into multiarch. But still, there should be no practical reason to do that, as all the same packages are likely available as native.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • @rm_ said:

@xaoc said: No joke, mine runs amd64 stuff just fine, can also install amd64 stuff via apt. It's a bit heavy on the CPU but there's 4 of them so not really an issue for me.

Wow, didn't know they had QEMU integrated into multiarch. But still, there should be no practical reason to do that, as all the same packages are likely available as native.

My use case was some old'ish executable that i needed to run and i had no source so this helped me with that. I am thankful for all the smart people out there. xD

• I cant believe I didn't pay attention to this before. Basically they give you 2 free VPS and 20GB of object storage? And free public IP addresses it seems.

This thread is 35 pages... Whats the catch?

• @trycatchthis said:
    I cant believe I didn't pay attention to this before. Basically they give you 2 free VPS and 20GB of object storage? And free public IP addresses it seems.

And also 4 cores and 24GB ram for ARM Instance(s).

• The 4 core ARM and 24GB ram runs my minecraft server perfectly, and free for the rest of my life.

• And also 4 cores and 24GB ram for ARM Instance(s).

What is the catch?

Is anyone that decides to upgrade royally f*cked? Vendor lock-in? Even the ipaddresses alone have a hard limit.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited January 2022

@trycatchthis said:

And also 4 cores and 24GB ram for ARM Instance(s).

What is the catch?

Is anyone that decides to upgrade royally f*cked? Vendor lock-in? Even the ipaddresses alone have a hard limit.

0 support, they can terminate your VPS if they want.
    No other catch.

If you upgrade to pay-as-you-go then you gain support and free services will remain free.

They responded way too slow to cloud game and they want to get new projects and developers on their platform. Eventually projects and developer will grow ans start paying. Oracle has money to invest and they are looking long-term.

They earn money from big companies and if they will give better offer than AWS/GCP then there is still big problem - zero developers/sysops know Oracle Cloud. So if they promote free services for devs tgen this problem is fixed and they can get piece of cloud cake from AWS/GCP.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @trycatchthis said:
    I cant believe I didn't pay attention to this before. Basically they give you 2 free VPS and 20GB of object storage? And free public IP addresses it seems.

Signing up can be difficult/impossible due to issues with credit cards not being accepted or accounts not being activated.

And then there are reports about instances being deleted at will or so it seems.

And from what I've read it seems hard to get support in these cases.

• And from what I've read it seems hard to get support in these cases.

I had an issue with facebook, someone was holding onto a facebook page that wasnt theirs. Facebook tries to make it impossible to find a phone number. Same with google and now youtube. 0 support is industry standard. [A few hold outs like audible have a live chat]

How often are they randomly terminating instances? And in that cant you just create a new one?

Google was early to the cloud game and most people still use AWS and Azure. Oracle is gonna be niche.